Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
red knight
29 Mar 20 16:54
| Topic/replies: 8 | Blogger: red knight's blog
I've been trying to find some information on Fairy Bridge (dam of Saddlers Wells) as I believe she was a small mare and was surprised that she bred a much bigger horse on her first foal than either herself or Norhtern Dancer. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me to any information on her.
Pause Switch to Standard View Fairy Bridge.
Show More
Report gunslinger7 April 1, 2020 9:09 PM BST
She was a very small filly. My grandfather rode her in her racing career. By the attached you will see how small she was. Saying that, Grandad was tall for a flat jockey, but you see how small he makes her look.
Report truehoncho April 2, 2020 1:31 PM BST
What a great response and picture.
Report red knight April 2, 2020 10:04 PM BST
Hey Gunslinger, thanks for your reply. Delighted that you had a connection with her through your Grandad who was a real star when I was a kid.
Great story also about how she was bought. Vincent,Robert Sangster etc went to Claiborne stud to look at the yearlings and Billy McDonald who was an unconventional character to say the least got into conversation with the barn manager and asked him which one was the best. >Oh, I'd go for the little Bold Reason filly every time,'
he replied. >They always race over to this gate from
right across the far side of the paddock, and that little
filly is always yards in front when they arrive. SHE is a
racehorse.'
On such unconventionalities is Coolmore built.
Report gunslinger7 April 2, 2020 10:16 PM BST
No problem red knight, glad to share. Wish there were more photos of back then, not like nowadays!

Great story indeed, I have been told many a story to that ilk about various things Coolmore related. Very fond of them and could listen to them for hours.
A great filly she was and now traceable to nearly any decent horse you see out there at the moment
Report truehoncho April 3, 2020 8:45 AM BST
She provides a great opportunity for small breeders to duplicate a great filly in their pedigrees. I have a Mayson filly yearling that has her 6 times in the first 6 generations. Lets hope she is 1/2 as good as her.
Report red knight April 3, 2020 11:55 PM BST
Well done Truehoncho, although the fillies in that family havent been standouts by all accounts , the colts have been outstanding. I hope you breed a champion from her. I bred a very good filly by inbreeding to the dam of an American oaks winner some years ago. Her dam hadnt bred anything of note beforehand but unfortunately she bred nothing of ability either.
Report themightymac April 6, 2020 4:34 PM BST
You should find this interesting:

https://www.blacktypepedigree.com/horse/Fairy_Bridge_USA-421124

I know your granddads face but I can`t put a name to him from the picture?
Report themightymac April 6, 2020 4:44 PM BST
https://www.blacktypepedigree.com/articles/fairy-bridge-family-with-black-ty...
Report themightymac April 6, 2020 4:48 PM BST
If you ever get to Kentucky you can visit her grave with headstone at Ashford Stud.
Report gunslinger7 April 6, 2020 8:36 PM BST
Hi mightymac, Tommy Murphy
Report themightymac April 6, 2020 9:06 PM BST
Thanks gunslinger! I knew the face in the picture but just couldn`t retract his name from my memory banks, lol. Your grandfather was a very very good jockey indeed. He rode some very good horses for Ballydoyle. Alleged whom he won on a few times probably the best. And of course The Minstrel and Lady Capulet who he rode to win the Irish 1000. You must be very proud of him. Cheers!
Report gunslinger7 April 6, 2020 10:34 PM BST
Thanks Mightymac. You know your stuff!!

Yes a very good jockey indeed. Rode plenty of winners, also won a classic on Transworld. I think he must be the only jockey to have won classics on the flat whilst also winning at Cheltenham and Galway Festivals over hurdles!

Still lives down in Ballydoyle, calling into the yard on a regular basis
Report themightymac April 6, 2020 11:04 PM BST
Was your grandfather not also champion jockey in Ireland in mid-seventies? I`m pretty sure he was but can`t remember exact year?

I think you must be right saying he is only jockey to ride Classic winners and winners at the Cheltenham and Galway Festivals.

Lester rode the winner of the Triumph Hurdle but it was run at Hurst Park in them days. He did ride a Cheltenham Festival winner though, Mull Sack but I don`t think he ever rode at Galway Festival during his short career over hurdles.

Good to hear that Tommy is still going strong and I send him my best wishes and thank him for the great memories mate.
Report gunslinger7 April 7, 2020 10:05 AM BST
He was indeed champion jockey, in 1977. First time champion jockey at 41 years of age. I’m sure that must be an oldest first time winner of championship also!

Many thanks mightymac
Report kincsem April 7, 2020 6:40 PM BST
The Bloodstock Breeders'Review  Vol. LXVI 1977, pages 109 and 110
The top five in the Irish Free Handicap were all owned wholly or in partnership by Robert Sangster, and rated level with Octavo are the fillies Sookera and Fairy Bridge.
[Try My Best b.c. 9-7;  Solinus b.c 9-2;  Octavo ch.c. 8-12;  Sookera b. or br.f. 8-12;  Fairy Bridge b.f. 8-12]
Fairy Bridge (Bold Reason-Special, by Forli), a big filly, seems overrated on her racecourse performances.
A $40,000 yearling, she made her debut in the Skerries Stakes (5f) at Phoenix Park in the first week of July. and starting at 2/5 favourite in a field of seven.
She was given a tender ride to win by a head from the 25/1 outsider Vexed Voter (by Pontifex)
Her only other race was in the Arnott Stakes (6f) at Phoenix Park at the end of the month and she was opposed by four useful juveniles
- Mother  White, The Finest Type (both winners last time out) and Te Igitur, winner of the Marble Hill Stakes (5f) at The Curragh in May.
Fairy Bridge, now more experienced and certainly harder in condition, dictated matters throughout, beating Mother White (by Jukebox) in a canter by five lengths.
She was then retired to stud [the General Stud Book says she was sent abroad in 1978]. and as her dam, Special, is a full-sister to Thatch and a half-sister to King Pellinore
and the talented, temperamental and ill-fated Marinsky. her paddock value is all too obvious.
However, she was a late withdrawal from the Phoenix Stakes and her high rating is definitely flattering, particularly as her stable companion, Turkish Treasure.
was rated 5lb inferior to her.  The latter, in fact, was given 8st 7lb in both English and Irish Handicaps.
Report kincsem April 7, 2020 7:52 PM BST
Robert Sangster lived at The Nunnery, Douglas, Isle of Man.
Fairy Bridge is five miles from Douglas.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com