Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Big Black Cat
23 Mar 19 10:52
| Topic/replies: 961 | Blogger: Big Black Cat's blog
After many years as an overenthusiastic member of Elite Racing (I still am), I have finally taken the first step into real ownership with two Owners group horses.

So now I am the proud 0.033% owner of a 4 year old filly PARIS DIXIE (Champs Elysess x Last of the Dixies) in training with Nicky Henderson and a 2 year old Colt PROCLAIMER (Free Eagle x Pious) in training with Julie Camacho.

Paris Dixie has improved with each run, and won a Carlisle bumper on her 4th start before being bought and moved to Nicky's yard.  Proclaimer comes from a prolific winning family (dam has bred 11 previous winners including 2 group winners), so I'm hopeful he will be number 12.

I promise not to bore you all silly with overenthusiastic updates.

Hope your foaling is going well and there are lots of good looking, racy, commercial specimens popping out.

Cheers
BBC
Pause Switch to Standard View From Membership to Ownership...
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire March 25, 2019 9:30 PM GMT
I wish you every success BBC.

It will be interesting to see if you favour one involvement over the other now you are trying another ownership model.
Report workrider March 28, 2019 5:24 PM GMT
Good luck with your new venture BBC...
Report Big Black Cat March 29, 2019 10:47 PM GMT
Paris Dixie is entered in the mares bumper at Aintree next Thursday.
Report Big Black Cat March 29, 2019 10:48 PM GMT
Thanks for the good wishes both!
Report doncaster rover April 4, 2019 12:21 AM BST
Good luck with your ownership Big Black Cat,small piece of friendly advice,Ownership is very addictive I have just bought into my 8th horse it’s my first time buying into an established horse my others were all yearlings.his is by far my most expensive purchase he is called Raymond Tusk m hoping for some big days out with him
Report Big Black Cat April 4, 2019 7:56 PM BST
Thank you Doncaster Rover.  I'm hoping that I've secured a tiny interest in a very well bred 2yo as well.  His page has over 20 black type performers, and he comes from a very well established and well known family.  Its a big investment for me if it comes off, but boy he could be very exciting.
Report doncaster rover April 6, 2019 11:28 PM BST
Good luck Big Black Cat I hope it all comes good for you
Report Big Black Cat April 7, 2019 11:50 PM BST
Thanks DR-we will soon both be owners with MPR ExcitedGrinGrin
Report Big Black Cat April 14, 2019 12:12 PM BST
A quick update. My Oasis Dream colt thas been named Theheartneverlies(GB)
Report Big Black Cat April 14, 2019 8:13 PM BST
One has also just acquired a small share in an Intello 2yo colt with Richard Hannon.  As yet unnamed.
Report sageform April 18, 2019 8:59 AM BST
Best of luck to both of you. I stopped buying into horses after my last horse, So Now was retired and my back won't stand a day at the races so TV only these days. I had a very good run though between 1994 and 2010. My last four were: Faustino 25% with P Hobbs, won 5. Jefferies 25% with Jim Old won 5, Lucky Bay 8% Hen Knight won 2 including a Grade 1 chase and So Now 8% P Nicholls and then T Vaughan won 3. Still only 2 seasons that showed a profit though. Having an ROA badge does rather spoil you though and racing without one was never the same.
Report Big Black Cat June 3, 2019 12:01 AM BST
The Intello (now called Mensen Ernst) has come to hand quicker than expected and is entered at Goodwood and Haydock on Friday.

Hearty is still trotting prior to returning to Sir Mark's.

I have since bought another small share in a 2yo Lawmsn colt with Mark Johnston called Provocation. His is a full brother to French group winner Luminate.
Report truehoncho June 3, 2019 8:45 PM BST
Good luck BBC. Badge should get you more than it does Sageform.
Report Big Black Cat June 6, 2019 9:28 PM BST
Thanks TH-Mensen Ernst did not take up either entry due to distance at Goodwood and ground at Haydock.

Am off to see Provocation on Saturday.
Report sageform June 7, 2019 8:38 AM BST
Good luck BBC, nothing quite like seeing a horse you own a part of run for the first time.
Report roadrunner46 June 7, 2019 8:47 AM BST
ive got a nice filly myself 21 days old, beauty diamond, got name from russia [ nutcracker0 great conformation exciting legs bred for the OKS
Report Big Black Cat June 14, 2019 10:54 AM BST
Thanks all.  Mensen Ernst made his debut at Nottingham yesterday and was a fast finishing third. I've not had the official debrief yet but I cant think that they wont be anything other than delighted with that. He needs 7f and better ground though.
Report Posh Paddy August 2, 2019 12:13 PM BST
Well if you can't beat em join em.  Have taken a leg in a National Hunt prospect of all things.
I'm done Pinhooking, it only took me 5 years to realise that it's not for me.
Report truehoncho August 2, 2019 6:16 PM BST
Good luck PP. I hope the horse goes well for you.
Report Big Black Cat August 3, 2019 10:08 PM BST
Good luck PP!

Mensen runs at Galway tomorrow and is not without a chance....
Report Big Black Cat September 16, 2019 8:06 PM BST
I have bought two further small shares in yearlings by Myboycharlie (colt) and Holy Roman Emperor (filly).

They are pedigree picks, rather than anything else to be honest, but its all about dreams isn't it?
Report Big Black Cat October 5, 2019 8:55 PM BST
I am delighted to report my first ever winner as an owner!

MENSEN ERNST won the Prix Jean Francois Bernard at Bordeaux Le Bouscat today by 3/4 of a Length.  He basically made all over 1900m.  Ridden by Guillaime Trolley de Preveaux and trained by Jean Claude Rouget.

I have seen the video and he showed a very good attitude and kept finding more.

It was a good day for INTELLO his sire, as a fellow 2yo INTO FAITH won the big Arqana sales race at ParisLongchamp for David Menusier.
Report Big Black Cat October 20, 2019 11:15 PM BST
I am also hoping to take small shares in a No Nay Never colt, and a Dandy Man filly.  Different tactics this year, looking for a bit more two year old action.
Report Big Black Cat November 2, 2019 3:23 PM GMT
LATEST UPDATE

Mensen Ernst won a class 2 Conditions race (Prix de Pauillac) at Bordeaux on Thursday over 1900M by 6L on soft ground, ridden by Guillaime Trolley de Preveaux.  He picked up about E20k plus for his troubles. Jean Claude Rouget was very pleased with him.  Thinks he'll stay 1M 4F next year. I am biased but he looked pretty impressive.  The opposition were no world beaters, but no mugs either.

France Galop replay below.

http://www.france-galop.com/en/racing/replays?replays_date=20191031
Report Steamship November 4, 2019 10:01 PM GMT
I knew I had read about someone having shares in Raymond Tusk. Good luck Doncaster Rover hope he goes well tomorrow.
Report Big Black Cat November 5, 2019 11:22 AM GMT
I think it was a bit too slow run a race for Raymond, on ground softer than ideal.  What an adventure though.
Report sageform November 16, 2019 3:23 PM GMT
Very well done with Judicial. I marked him off yesterday but after looking at the draw and the price drift I left the race alone. Great horse.
Report Big Black Cat November 17, 2019 1:06 AM GMT
Hes been a marvellous servant to the club. I had a few quid on today each way as his price on here was far too big. Elite have been in the doldrums a bit this year, and that has raised spirits a bit higher.
Report Big Black Cat November 24, 2019 2:03 PM GMT
So a very exciting day for yours truly on Monday 25th with two runners.

Mensen Ernst runs in a Class 2 race at Bordeaux at 11.25. He's likely to be second favourite.  It seems a tough task giving 2kg to a 90+ rated horse, but he's improving so you never know.

Provocation is running at Chelmsford in the 4.00. he's also second favourite, but I think he has an better chance than Mensen.

A double? Who knows. Fingers crossed.
Report sageform November 24, 2019 4:15 PM GMT
Good luck BBC.
Report Big Black Cat November 24, 2019 6:16 PM GMT
Thank you sageform.  I'm off to Chelmsford myself.  MPR wouldn't let me use their corporate Jet to do both races.....
Report Big Black Cat November 26, 2019 8:26 PM GMT
Not quite as planned or hoped for yesterday.

Mensen was beaten 7.5l 4th.  The second is rated 93, and the winner is obviously smart too, and Mensen was giving them both 2kg.  I would think he will get a mark of 85+.  No excuses, maybe its the end of a long hard season, and he was a bit free at the start.  He's run 6 times though and only been out of the top 4 once (when the steering went at Dundalk).  Hes an Intello (I may have mentioned that before) and as far as I'm aware no Intello 2 yo has won more than 2 races. We're looking forward to seeing him next year over 12f.

It was very quiet at Chelmsford last night.  There were more staff from Mark Johnston Racing than there were Provocation owners (just me!).  The plan was to jump out from his good draw, and try and make all!  He stumbled coming out of the stalls, and we ended up mid div-he ran on to be at the back of the first 6 who pulled clear of the rest.  He was beaten 9.5L.  It may mean he gets dropped to allow him to run in 0-75's next year.  He's a lovely big horse, and still growing into his frame.  He has a 3yo pedigree, and he's got some ability.

Good luck all.
BBC.
Report sageform November 28, 2019 8:10 PM GMT
You didn't tell us about Maurice DancerHappy I didn't even notice it was running until I saw it passing the post in front.
Report Big Black Cat December 1, 2019 12:43 AM GMT
I totally forgot sageform.  To be honest, Elite is a bit peripheral on my radar now.  I'm very annoyed at the way they seem to be running it down at the expense of Owners Group. I have to suffer OG owners on Facebook telling me that Equiprep is their wonderful facility for their horses to winter/summer/recover from injury, when it was paid for by Marsha, an Elite horse....
Report 3132 December 7, 2019 8:52 AM GMT
Black Cat - That Owners Group must be trousering them an absolute fortune - they are churning out New Horse after New Horse near  enough every week.

4000 Shares x £55 for horse costing £80,000 - then another 3500 renewals x £37 the next season.

50 plus horses at that rate - making millions.  Been watching them adding 2 horses a week for months - must be a money pit for them. That’s why they’ll not be caring about Elite when they are making £50,000 a horse in year 1 alone - sometimes more.
Report Big Black Cat December 8, 2019 11:28 AM GMT
3132 Totally agree-its a fantastic business model.  Win, lose or draw they cant lose.  Each share is between about 45-60 quid so manageable for anyone really-like you say, all you have to deal with is the owners who gob off about the horses nor running.....

The thing that distresses me is the renewals though. Should never be more than 20 quid for an existing owner (you are only paying for training fees/expenses after all). Absolute disgrace. 

And they use Equiprep for all of their horses too.  Thats Equiprep bought with the money from the Marsha sale. Elite money that should really be reinvested in ERC which is being allowed to die on its arse. 

Some people should remember that with out ERC, OG would never have happened.  ERC was an absolute triumph for a small operation.  To breed 4 individual Group/Grade 1 winners is frankly an amazing achievement.  And its being allowed to wither on the vine for the cash cow that is OG..
Report sageform December 12, 2019 6:43 PM GMT
GL with Canasta. didn't know the Owners Group were the same outfit.
Report Big Black Cat December 14, 2019 5:11 PM GMT
Thanks sageform.  She will be dropping back in trip in future.

Elite, Owners Group and Axom are all under the umbrella of Wentrow Media.
Report sageform December 15, 2019 2:01 PM GMT
Really? Axom have been going a long time.
Report Big Black Cat December 16, 2019 8:31 PM GMT
Yes-its all aspects of the business covered-Elite is the fan club, OG is the fan club where you own 0.033% of the bloodstock for your 50 quid, and Axom is your ownership syndicate.
Report Big Black Cat December 20, 2019 10:37 PM GMT
So Proclaimer became my first UK winner as an owner when he won the 6f nursery at Newcastle on Wednesday. He came with a very late rattle and was matched at 1000 on here.

His dam Pious continues her magnificent record of breeding only winners. He will obviously improve with age and a longer trip.
Report sageform December 24, 2019 8:36 PM GMT
Well done. Great to be a associated with a winner.
Report Big Black Cat May 22, 2020 4:42 PM BST
Mensen Ernst runs at Bordeaux tomorrow (1.17 UK time).  Looks to be a match on ratings between him and Influx, but we have 1.5kg on hand, and I expect him to both improve with the extra distance and for his his first run.
Report Big Black Cat May 26, 2020 12:34 PM BST
Mensen Ernst won very easily on Saturday, helped by the withdrawal of the other favoured horse Influx.  With his win and place prizemoney, plus his French breeding premiums, he has now won more than his purchase price, which is a good thing.

His French form now reads 114-21 which is not too shabby.  We are aiming for a Listed race now as his rating remains 41.5kg (91).
Report truehoncho May 28, 2020 10:24 AM BST
Well done BBC. Hope it keeps going well for you.
Report Big Black Cat May 29, 2020 3:22 PM BST
Thank you TH, likewise.

Have a couple of entries in week 1 but will probably both get balloted out.

May have a 2yo out the week after.

Best wishes all.
Report sageform June 6, 2020 8:24 AM BST
How easy is it to transfer a horse from GB to France at the moment BBC? If I had a half decent horse I would be doing so at the earliest opportunity. Prize money is less affected and many races there seem unfilled so you have a good chance of getting a run. How long will it take for a 65 handicapper to get a run here in GB?
I don't want to be too pessimistic but what do you breeders think will happen at the autumn sales if there is still a reduced racing programme?
Report Big Black Cat June 7, 2020 6:48 PM BST
Its a good question, but not that difficult it would seem as I know its being seriously considered for a horse I know about. Even better if you are French bred, and qualify for premiums.

I have a share in a horse rated 53 who has been balloted out of 4 races so far.  Keeps getting entered in 0-60, 0-65 and no chance whatsoever.

I'm assuming the programme will expand somewhat later in the year, but get exactly what you are saying, and there's no guarantee the show will remain on the road if infection rates go up again.
Report truehoncho June 8, 2020 11:47 AM BST
Sageform, its not expensive to get a horse to France. Someone like Gay Kelleway has a yard over there (at least she did). Obviously the main issue is watching them run. As far as the sales go, I think it will be a continuation of the last few years where the better ones do well and the modest ones will struggle. However, I do think that there will be plenty of small trainers looking for bargains and unless you are unrealistic about the value of your horse you should get it away if it has any merit. BBC there will be plenty of 0-55's coming up so don't get disheartened. I have had no luck getting in a couple of races but there will be plenty of opportunity in the next few months.
Report Big Black Cat June 8, 2020 5:15 PM BST
I hope you are right TH, hes entered again on Saturday and he needs about 22 to come out!

MENSEN ERNST is entered in the Derby du Languedoc on Friday (listed), and hes got a decent chance of picking up some black type on the book.  Prize money E19K for the winner (excluding premiums).
Report truehoncho June 9, 2020 10:32 AM BST
BBC if she is rated 53 then you will need to wait for a 0-55. There are plenty in the pipeline for the end of the month and onwards. I have a 63 rated horse and was only 35th in the running for a 0-70!!
Report truehoncho June 9, 2020 12:38 PM BST
Have a look at Leicester on the 30th June BBC.
Report Big Black Cat June 9, 2020 4:58 PM BST
TH-thanks, haven't got that far yet!  He will probably be balloted out on Saturday, and is entered over 12f on Monday, when he only needs about 4 or 5 to come out.
Report sageform June 10, 2020 5:29 PM BST
Sir Mark managed to find a race for a 53 rated horse that is probably capable of winning off 80. There are more races not filling now that we have 3 or 4 meetings a day. There will have been 235 flat races by tonight compared to 764 in the whole of June last year so by the end of the month the total will be about the same as last year if not more.
Report truehoncho June 10, 2020 5:59 PM BST
You are right Sageform, there are plenty of opportunities in the near future. I do have one gripe (also pertains to your thread on the racing forum), the BHA are now giving a handicap mark after 2 runs. Although I am ok with it in principle there isn't any need for it and there are horses running against horses that have had 3 or 4 runs and are quite unexposed after just 2. I don't think this is fair on the other horses in the grade.
Report Big Black Cat June 11, 2020 8:21 PM BST
I don't think you were the only one to notice Alphabetical given he was backed from 6/1 to 11/10 sageform....I think the handicapper may raise him a few pounds.
Report sageform June 13, 2020 2:50 PM BST
Certainly romped home-I only mentioned it to show that opportunities for low ratings are coming along now. Quite a few unfilled races today. I agree now about the 3 runs for a handicap. It made sense for 2 weeks but by now every trainer has had a chance to get a third run so scrap it.
Report Big Black Cat June 13, 2020 4:12 PM BST
The two race hcap change intrigued me.  I thought some horses would get in a bit light.  Interestingly enough one of mine was given a mark of 72, after 2 runs, but ran like a drain a few days ago.  The balance of his form over 3 runs would mean he would probably be rated mid 60's, but you can expect him not to get dropped 7lbs.....
Report sageform June 13, 2020 4:36 PM BST
Two sides to every coin unfortunately. They tend to handicap on the best of 3 runs so may not have mattered.
Report truehoncho June 13, 2020 8:06 PM BST
Yes, best run gets you your mark and as you say getting dropped takes a few runs. As it happens the one's being given a mark after 2 runs are not romping away with anything. I don't mind it going forward, for a lot below average horses you are just cannon fodder in maidens anyway. There needs to be a bit more variety for horses rated below 70. Claimers. sellers etc.
Report truehoncho June 15, 2020 9:36 AM BST
Hi Sageform, on you point about sales I think you may have been closer to the truth than I was. Small owners (those that buy at the cheaper end of the yearling market) are getting hammered by these prize money cuts and are thoroughly pissed off. I have spoken to one or two that have had runners in handicaps already (me included) and feel let down by the cuts. I think they will be giving yearlings away in bk3 and below unless they do something quickly about the situation. When you are placed in a competitive 12 runner handicap and cant get you race day fees paid it's going to leave you a little unhappy.
Report Big Black Cat June 15, 2020 1:09 PM BST
Saw a post on twitter from such an owner who received less than 1000 pounds for finishing second in a race, asking what was the case for continuing keeping his horse in training.
Report Formtwist June 16, 2020 7:26 PM BST
Class 5 and Class 6 races had prize money increased under Covid-19 temporary allocation at the expense of races for better horses.
Report truehoncho June 16, 2020 8:09 PM BST
No they didn't.
Report truehoncho June 16, 2020 8:11 PM BST
oops pressed reply a bit quick!  All prize money was reduced considerably. I am not sure why you think otherwise Formtwist.
Report Formtwist June 16, 2020 10:40 PM BST
BHA press release 14th May 2020
Class 6 races minimum values increased to 123% of previous values, Class 5 races 120% of previous values, Class 4 the same, the rest reduced up to the biggest cut at G1 level which is 50% of previous values. These to operate for first ten weeks of resumption.
Report truehoncho June 17, 2020 9:47 AM BST
Hi Formtwist. It didn't happen. Prize money has been cut significantly in all 5 and 6 class races. My guess is at least 20% maybe more. I suppose Trump would call that press release 'Fake Mews' !!!!
Report truehoncho June 17, 2020 9:48 AM BST
'News'
Report Big Black Cat June 17, 2020 9:50 AM BST
It was a good move to increase prize money at the bottom end, as after all, that's where most people operate. But if you look at places like France.....Bog standard maidens worth E9k to the winner. 2yo maiden today worth E22K in total.

Claimer today worth E20k total, 10k to the winner.
Report truehoncho June 17, 2020 9:54 AM BST
BBC, they REDUCED prize money at the bottom end.
Report Formtwist June 17, 2020 10:20 AM BST
Truehoncho it did happen. The appearance money down to lower finishes of £400 ceased, it hardly a problem getting eight runners anyway, the win and normal places increased.
Report truehoncho June 17, 2020 10:35 AM BST
No they didn't formtwist. They went down for 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th. The £400 for the lower places was cut as you say, when it was introduced there was a discussion about topping up places or paying down to 8th. That is prizemony just the same (for what it's worth I argued against it). I'm not sure why you think it went up??
Report truehoncho June 17, 2020 10:47 AM BST
II stand corrected, and eat humble pie. However the overall pot is less. Sorry and deserve a telling off.
Report sageform June 17, 2020 12:42 PM BST
The racecourses have reduced their contribution so even if the BHA have increased theirs, prizes could be less.
Report Formtwist June 17, 2020 1:10 PM BST
Not true Sageform,
The Levy Board have made up all prize money to 80% of previous levels allocated as per the press release I referred to. Class 5 and Class 6 races were enhanced as a deliberate reward for as many owners as possible, judging that the top end races were largely populated by a small group of affluent owners. It must be disheartening to see the owners given larger return and more races being so critical of the return. Racing low grade horses was never the way to "making it pay" other than betting.
Report sageform June 17, 2020 3:48 PM BST
Certainly true that some courses have reduced or even removed their share of the prize money. The Levy Board may have put in more to compensate. It is the valuable races that have had prize money decimated. Only four prizes for a Group 1!!!
Report truehoncho June 21, 2020 3:10 PM BST
Formtwist,you are right that placed money (a little) has increased but overall prizemony per race has reduced as a result of the 'appearance' money being stopped which works out to about £1,500 per race. When I argued at the ROA meeting that this prizemoney should go to win and place and not reward losers they argued that over the course of a season owners would be better off across the board and it would help get 8 runners in a race. But it is prizemony no matter how you look at it and it has been cut. Running low grade horses can be made to pay but the it is a lot harder when the prizemony is less.
Report Big Black Cat August 12, 2020 5:05 PM BST
Mid Season Update

Just in case anyone is interested.

I have had 3 2yo run enough to be rated, and they are rated at 61 (5 runs), 61 (3) and 64 (2).  4 of my 2yo have as yet not run, although from the vibes I fully expect them to be better than those 3, including a Breezer bought recently.

Obviously Mensen Ernst has been my best 3yo, now rated 46kg (101).  he has been listed placed and finished up a close 4th in a listed race at Deauville last Sunday.  Provocation has been very disappointing, and he runs this afternoon before probably going to the sales.  Lexington Storm also has questions to answer, but has been gelded, which may help, although he didn't show great promise last Saturday.  No Nay Bella has been placed twice and will hopefully win a handicap this season.  The less said about Theheartneverlies the better.

So pretty standard stuff I guess, and thanking my lucky stars I have a share in at least two decent 3yo.
Report Jezebel August 20, 2020 3:00 PM BST
BBC after having previously been an ERC member, then a member of a work-related syndicate, then having a few years out altogether I've taken the plunge with a couple of shares in a (hopefully!) nice unraced OG 2yo with Julie Camacho.  I'm blaming you entirely Grin

I see there is even more dissent among Elite members after the Frankel-Maralinka colt - the covering which was supposed to be their 'treat'/reward for the club management deciding to sell Marsha and sink the majority of the funds into Equiprep - has been entered in Book 1 of the October Sales.
Report Big Black Cat August 21, 2020 2:12 PM BST
Ahh I have seen the 4 they bought at Goresbridge-good luck with them.  They have just put another one up for sale today.

Thats why I left Elite after 20 years. I personally think its a very poor show indeed after getting 6 million quid into the kitty, but I'm sure they are not losing too much sleep about it.  There are big changes afoot at Elite I'm told, but its too late for me.

If you look at Book one the family is well represented with Frankel progeny out of Marlinka, Ribbons and Miss Marjurie.
Report Big Black Cat September 9, 2020 11:36 AM BST
Pleased to say I had my first winner as an owner in the UK yesterday with Beechwood Emily in the 7f Nursery at Newcastle.  She stuck on well to win by half a length.

I also had a second earlier at Catterick with The Thin Blue Line who ran a promising race to finish behind a decent horse with more experience.

Well done to Keith Dalgleish and his team who trains them both.

Most of my unraced 2yo will be making an appearance in the next couple of weeks too, so lots to look forward to.
Report sageform September 10, 2020 12:56 PM BST
Well done, just a shame that you are not able to take family etc. on course at the moment.
Report Big Black Cat September 12, 2020 11:33 PM BST
Some very variable welcomes given to owners at the moment.  Just found out that Ayr are only offering 2 badges and a limited refreshment menu to owners at their flagship meeting next week.  Contrast this to the 4 badges and 3 course meal provided by Mussleburgh today.
Report sageform September 13, 2020 12:09 PM BST
It must be hard for courses on the brink of going under to weigh up what costs to cut. They should help owners of course but the policy of giving free lunch to anyone with an owners scheme badge which I was lucky enough to have for 3 seasons will not be sustainable even if crowds are allowed back. It did vary a lot of course. Sandown was the best with a cooked lunch for anyone on the badge scheme at every meeting. Others had a choice of 2 sandwich flavours if you were early enough.
Report truehoncho September 14, 2020 10:41 AM BST
I got 6 badges at Ayr 2 weeks ago. and a burger and chips and a glass or 2 of wine. I agree Sageform, it seems the sport has given up on spectators but need somehow to offer a decent owner package.
Report Big Black Cat September 19, 2020 11:49 AM BST
A friend had direct correspondence with Ayr and they told him the restriction of badges wasn't their doing, and against their wishes.

I agree their income is slashed without spectators or the ability to utilise their function rooms etc, but they are still getting a few quid in media rights.
Report Big Black Cat October 1, 2020 6:35 PM BST
So my last two 2yo debuted recently. Lexington Liberty finished a close up 3rd in a 6f Kempton maiden under Ryan Moore. He was very complimentary about her.

That was trumped today by a very nice FTO win for The Rosstafarian at Salisbury under James Doyle. He travelled smoothly and won going away by 4.25l. We knew he was a nice horse, but we were a little surprised how easy that was.

Both horses will be better 3yo too, so happy days!
Report Steamship October 3, 2020 6:17 PM BST
The Rosstafarian looks a lovely horse
Report Big Black Cat October 10, 2020 11:30 AM BST
Thank you Steamship.  We have entered him in The Grand Criterium de St Cloud, but of course all options are open. He is French premiums qualified too.

He has come out of the race well, and will run again this season.
Report Big Black Cat November 8, 2020 3:39 PM GMT
End of Season Update.

4 horses sold (2 x 2yo, 2 x 3yo) for 4000, 800, 800, 1500.  To be fair they were rated between 45-65.

2yo's.  Very lucky to have The Rosstafarian for next year (OR 97).  Should have won a listed race at Pontefract, but fished a neck 3rd.  A big raw horse, who will grow into his frame, and be better on faster ground.  One to dream about over the Winter.

The Thin Blue Line won a nursery off 72 on Friday, and he will improve with racing-could be fun to had with him too.

My other 2yo- 2/4 have won, rated in 60s/70s.  One awaiting his mark (probably in the 50s). One only ran once, and was just beaten. She will be a nice 3yo.  Overall, I'm pretty lucky.

3yo's.  Mensen Ernst's future is up in the air. He has run well all season, and been very consistent. Sold/Hurdles/carry on the flat as a 4yo? I'm dead against the hurdles idea though. Still rated 101 (46kg).  Everything else has been sold (see above)

No Nay Bella won a 3yo handicap nicely on Monday.  She will probably be put up towards 80, and hopefully will keep improving.

I have my eye on some cheap yearlings (if I buy any) this year, as I've made a huge loss on most of my purchases (you knew that already, we all do) and so its going to be cheaper horses for raceday experiences, and if any make any money, then its a big bonus.

Cheers all.
Report Big Black Cat June 1, 2021 1:21 PM BST
Well its been an interesting start to the season for yours truly.

The highlight, and probably the highlight of my entire ownership lifetime, was The Rosstafarian running in the Irish 2000 Guineas.  A totally surreal moment to be honest.  A decent run, far from disgraced, but just wish CK had had him a bit closer.  Hopefully we are off to Royal Ascot next (a huge ambition of mine has been to have a runner there) and a step up in trip.

I also bought a share in a sprinter called Dave Dexter with some friends, and he won nicely at Catterick on Saturday (unbacked by his owner)!

The Thin Blue Line has run well twice, and will reappear at Ripon on Wednesday.  Lexington Liberty got chinned at Catterick on Saturday, but now they have realised she's a 6f filly I expect her to win.

I have some interesting 2yos to debut starting later this month.  They all seem at least to have a degree of ability at this stage, so hopefully some fun ahead.

Best wishes to all.

BBC
Report Big Black Cat June 1, 2021 1:22 PM BST
Oh and how could I forget, but Mensen Ernst won a very small race in France, before hopefully going on to better things this month.
Report sageform June 3, 2021 11:35 AM BST
Very good luck BBC. I never had a flat horse but had a bit of success with jumpers. The highlight was a Grade 2 novice chase at Newbury with Lucky Bay who went on to finish sixth in the NH chase at the Festival. My only Cheltenham winner (December meeting) was Meister way back in the 80s.
Report Big Black Cat June 3, 2021 12:49 PM BST
Thanks sageform-sounds like pretty successful winning a grade 2 over jumps!

Hopefully I will get to Ascot and see him in the flesh.
Report Big Black Cat July 13, 2021 9:33 PM BST
I never did see The Rosstafarian at Ascot. Which was a shame as we received an offer for him sortly after, and he'll be continuing his career in Hong Kong.

Sad but too good an offer to turn down for a horse with his record.

I will miss him of course. He may be my only Classic runner ever after all.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com