Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
PBT
25 Nov 16 18:01
| Topic/replies: 295 | Blogger: PBT's blog
After trying and failing to get Scarborough - a 5-y-o speedball BHA rated 87 at best - covered successfully with sub-fertile Starspangledbanner this year we need to crack on with her breeding programme.

Probably would like to put a bit of size into the youngster, especially with it being the first one, and I am looking at it from a commercial point of view.

Any of you experts got any thoughts on sprint stallions?   

Looked at Showcasing, Dream Ahead and even looked at taking a gamble on Twilight Son - the SLF isn't really an issue just simply want best option of commercial success.
Pause Switch to Standard View Stallion Thoughts For A Mare
Show More
Report proxygene November 25, 2016 8:56 PM GMT
Iffraaj, Dutch Art
Report Posh Paddy November 26, 2016 10:16 AM GMT
Of the first season mob in descending order:

Shalaa
The Gurkha
Awtaad
Twilight Son
Kodi Bear
Markaz

Those not in their first season who are at a reasonable fee, my best guesses would be:

Starspangledbanner (fertility is apparently 75% - so you could have another go and get in there early this time.
Camacho

If I was breeding on a budget, to sell as a yearling I would be tempted to take a chance on Requinto (€5k). He's running at 50% winners to runners and covered his biggest crop of 152 this year.  He could well fall off a cliff between now and 2018 but I can see 2019 being a good year for him just when you come to sell.

I've no idea from a size perspective as I've not seen any of them but I'm sure other forumites might be able to help on that count.
Report PBT November 26, 2016 12:30 PM GMT
Thanks for replies - PP not sure about Starspangled being 75% though - was told on QT that he has an appalling fertility rate (had to leave the mare for 6 weeks with Coolmore and they certainly don't do walk-ins).
Report PBT November 26, 2016 12:37 PM GMT
Proxygene - quite set on Iffraaj as commercially proven.
Report Posh Paddy November 26, 2016 1:30 PM GMT
Proxy is bang on, Iffraaj is a commercial option but at £27,500 he isn't cheapest. 

Having said that he's got a big crop of 2yo s for 2017 conceived at a then fee high of €25k so presumably out of useful mares.  If he has the year I think he will, he could find himself in Kodiac/Dark Angel territory in 2018.  Also he gets a good filly so it would be less of a worry if you bred one of those.

If I was pinhooking on a much bigger budget I would love to get one.

What is your budget?
Report proxygene November 26, 2016 1:44 PM GMT
Showcasing was mentioned so thats what I based it on.
Report PBT November 26, 2016 5:09 PM GMT
There is no upper limit - the key is the potential return on investment. The more I look at Iffraaj stats the more I like that one.
Report jonnyrotten November 26, 2016 5:14 PM GMT
prob best get in early he will be full
Report PBT January 21, 2017 5:08 PM GMT
Update on original post

Scarborough went to Acclamation last week - stallion was full up, but a spare private nomination saved the day!
Report Wilycayote January 21, 2017 6:28 PM GMT
I hope she didn't go to him last week, you'll likely get a December foal!
Report PBT January 22, 2017 12:55 AM GMT
Not a walk in job Wilycayote - looks like a 2 month project!
Report Big Black Cat January 22, 2017 5:20 PM GMT
Looking at his stats (given a E30K covering fee) you would be unlucky not to make a profit?

Good luck-he had another Group 1 winner this year and has lots of 100+ rated horses.
Report PBT January 24, 2017 10:49 AM GMT
Thanks BBC - think it is a fairly safe investment though worse case scenario we end up with an Acclamation 2-y-o in the portfolio.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com