Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
brain dead jockeys
16 Sep 16 05:19
| Topic/replies: 4,917 | Blogger: brain dead jockeys's blog
deep impact's stud fee is 230k euro, tapit is 300k usd, galileo probably 300k euro...........so based on this whats the most amount a yearling should fetch at the sales?............should we double the fee & add a bit more............so maybe one could justify paying 1m for a yearling that looks perfect and is by one of these three sires and out of a very well bred mare

im writing this thinking of the 3m USD coolmore paid for a scat daddy yearling at keenland. this is insane. there is a massive database on bloodstock racing post section of millions paid for yearlings at the sales. below for example is a link to all the purchases made by john ferguson at sales, starting with the most paid. some of these purchases were for mares whose racing career was over. but the majority were for yearlings. it makes for eye watering reading. a lot of them were storm cats in the early 2000's when sheik mo lost the plot. there was no return on these purchases. none of these yearlings amounted to a hill of beans in term of $$ returned on racecourse and at stud. it was the biggest waste of money in sporting history.
which brings me back to the 13m paid by coolmore for the green monkey.............who was slower than a monkey. that was a shocker. they must have been embarassed when he was a donkey on the track.

why do coolmore and sheik mo do this?. why do they pay more than 1m for yearlings? it has never paid off and never will. 99% of the super horses aidan o brien has trained were either bred by coolmore to their own stallions or were bought at the sales for less than 1m?

this is a very interesting topic and i would like some feedback guys.

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/sales/results/search_home.sd?tab=&st=4&l=&i=1&ob=p&od=DESC&page=1&fv=131072&sn=&sc=&df=1991-09-09&dt=2016-09-16&vn=&b=john+ferguson&mip=&map=&hn=&s=&a=&sin=&dn=&sdn=
Pause Switch to Standard View The insanity of paying millions for...
Show More
Report neill d September 16, 2016 10:53 AM BST
fear of missing out or FOMO!
Report sageform September 16, 2016 11:39 AM BST
It has happened down the years since Sangster and others started hoovering up all of the best yearlings. Godolphin and Qatar are criticized for buying proven horses but they probably get better value for a million spent on an unbeaten 2yo than they would on yearlings.
Report kincsem September 16, 2016 2:15 PM BST
I feel they would be happier paying £1,500,000 for a horse instead of £5,000 for the same horse.
Report Eont September 16, 2016 2:50 PM BST
If you take a horse like Van Nistelrooy who they paid $6.4m for that on racecourse evidence seems a waste.

If we factor in his stud fees he earned for them and lease rights plus final sale he returned a healthy profit.

Your stud fee also does not take into account the cost of the mare think that Pope lady what she has been paying.

The $3m they paid well does that guy owe them lots of money? Many times they will have debts for stud fees so it is not always the deal it seems. Did they have a foal share agreement based on how the fees were paid? All that information is not in the public domain.

They then have the marketing angle how much is that sale topper worth, look at what was said how Scat Daddy sons are stamping the stock. That is probably another 50 mares booked in for next year at a minimum of 10k each.

The thing with Coolmore it is better to make a few spectacular purchases than lots of small ones, like the rest of us mugs buying lottery tickets it keeps commercial breeders flocking to their new stallions just in case. I am sure these purchases are way exceeded by the commercial income their stallions make.
Report brain dead jockeys September 16, 2016 4:07 PM BST
van nistlerooy was a group 2 winner...........he is not a good example..........this 3m yearling by scat daddy will probably win a maiden but thats it.....the chances that he will win a g1 are probably 50/1
Report Eont September 19, 2016 9:04 AM BST
He is a good example he is one of the Storm Cats who you said amounted to nothing.
Report zygote September 19, 2016 2:05 PM BST
I agree that paying more than a million for a yearling colt is imprudent. I think there is a strong element of "willy waving" involved, where the very rich want to be seen to be serious players. Another point is that they expect most of the purchases to be duds, but if just 1 or 2 prove up to being stallions, they can cover their investments. In their position however, I would buy proven racemares to breed from rather than having a high percentage of colts whose residual value ay 3YO is just a few thousands.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com