Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
truehoncho
03 Sep 16 08:54
| Topic/replies: 4,382 | Blogger: truehoncho's blog
2 nice commercial types, well done Rathbarry. Lets hope we get a couple over here.
Pause Switch to Standard View Kodi Bear and Ajaya to Rathbarry
Show More
Report Posh Paddy September 3, 2016 4:27 PM BST
Not really feeling it - maybe too early for me to get excited.

About time a son of Kodiac made it to stud and on rating he's the best he's produced but soft ground form may be a bit of a negative.

Ajaya was a decentish 2yo who didn't train on.  Be more interested in Shalaa or Air Force Blues if I was going down that road.

Just ignore me, tired and grumpy, probably should not be posting Whoops
Report truehoncho September 3, 2016 7:44 PM BST
Hi PP, Ajaya was a nice looking 2yo when I saw him at Newmarket. Typical IS
Report Posh Paddy September 9, 2016 2:46 PM BST
Right I'm in a slightly better frame of mind so here goes.

The angle with Kodi Bear I suppose is that if you've bred a winner by Kodiac and all of them have been conceived at €7.5k or less and can't afford / don't want to risk the €45k to go back to him then he will be a much more affordable route.

He was a decent enough performer at 2 and 3 and deserves his place at stud although his 2nd Dam is a bit weak.  I'd imagine he will be popular (at least in his first year).

I'll take your word for it iro Ajaya's looks, being a vendor buy back you just don't know how others viewed him as a yearling. As a son of IS he does hold some appeal and his Dam side is quite tasty. I would prefer his paper to KBs but prefer KBs race record to his.

As always how they price them will be key and that depends on the competition.

Guessing on what they will stand at, given the rise in fees in recent years I'd guess Ajaya €10k and Kodi Bear €14k.
Report Wilycayote September 9, 2016 3:30 PM BST
truehoncho are you sure it was Ajaya you saw? Ive seen him 3 times on course and have been equally unimpressed each time. He's small and weak.

By contrast KB is a good looking horse, I just worry he'll be labelled as a mudlark.
Report truehoncho September 9, 2016 5:51 PM BST
Hi Wily, I saw him at Newmarket and he looked good. He was on the small side of medium but not small and looked quite strong.He was in a good group of horses and I thought he was a nice 2yo.
Report potentialmillionaire September 9, 2016 8:16 PM BST
I think it best not to get hung up about mud lark labels.

Invincible Spirit and Kodiac stock all like a spot of cut and as I repeat endlessly a great looking foal/yearling Is a great looking horse and will be forgiven just about anything. It's crazy to restrict yourself in any way when trying to breed a racehorse, it's hard enough when you've got the whole palette to chose from.

I think your description of Ajaya rings true Wily and so does yours truehonch! A lot of invincible spirits are wirey and light of bone but then that is another man's strong and well muscled. Paco Boy is another of those types.

I would have imagined that the I.S bit will keep Ajaya popular but the consensus is that Kodi Bear is the looker and he was rated a lot higher too. The way Ajaya fizzled out along with his broodmare sireline smacks to me of a potential wind issue. Hopefully that will emerge in due course as I don't like that at any price.

I think a bit less money for them both Posh as they are a bit questionable. I think they should both be less than 10. But as we all agree, it'll depend what else crawls from the woodwork.
Report Posh Paddy September 9, 2016 8:35 PM BST
Haven't you heard PM 10k and 14k are the new 5k & 7k !
Report potentialmillionaire September 9, 2016 10:13 PM BST
I'm hoping fat is soon to become the new thin too.Posh, then I'm quids in.

I think that sooner rather than later the cheaper stallion will have to start being a whole lot more competitive given the flabby nature of the middle to lower market.
Report ovalu September 9, 2016 10:32 PM BST
i think they'll have to be an awful lot cheaper to attract business PP,   due to the success of all the super cheapy commercials this year. Sir Prancalot, Elzaam, Requinto, Dragon Pulse are all in the same general area and have basicly been covering at 2-3k this year,and wont really be able to increase despite getting lots of winners, charging 14k for a similar type, even first season would be optimistic i'd say
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com