Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
kincsem
04 Apr 16 21:32
| Topic/replies: 10,342 | Blogger: kincsem's blog
Has anyone read the book mentioned in The Sunday Times, The Black Horse of Coolmore?
The article says Coolmore have tried to get it taken out of bookshops / not stocked.
Is it a good read?  Are the lads upset about the content?
Pause Switch to Standard View Coolmore book
Show More
Report kincsem April 5, 2016 11:02 PM BST
* "The Black Horse Inside Coolmore" by William Jones  270 pages paperback €23 incl postage
I got it in the post this morning.   I think it will be a good read.  So far I've flicked through and read bits.
The first impression is it is well written, detailed, and tells the inside story (from the author's perspective.  He worked there).
Report potentialmillionaire April 6, 2016 10:38 AM BST
I can't decide whether I should be chasing this book or not kincsem!

In any successful organisation there will always be disgruntled employees looking for the negative, but ultimately as a Coolmore consumer I have to decide what suits my needs and purchase accordingly.

I certainly do not have any more beefs with them than with any other stallion masters and as such don't necessarily want to see them picked to pieces when my relationship with them is good (in a minnow fashion obvs) and my results from them likewise.

I suspect ethically, I am at the leveller end of the game though so I shouldn't bury my head in the sand if there are aspects of their operation that goo too far, whatever that is.

I await your précis should you chose to publish!
Report kincsem April 6, 2016 3:32 PM BST
I finished chapter one last night.
The next few days will be watching my nine bets in the US Masters crash and burn.
I might do a brief summary of the book and post here.
My guess so far is the book is the view from the barn, not from the offices or the boardroom.
Report kincsem April 6, 2016 4:45 PM BST
I know Coolmore don't need the money but ...
... it would be nice to have a book of the full story of Coolmore
The book I am reading starts with Tim Vigors and the birth of Coolmore.
I would love a book on the Coolmore story, and perhaps another statistical book on the stallions / offspring.
Surely John Magnier has a few spare hours each evening.
Report Formtwist April 6, 2016 4:56 PM BST
I haven't read the book, but there is a comprehensive review at http://theracingforum.co.uk/racing-articles/book-review-the-black-horse-inside-coolmore/
for anyone who wants to look at it. I found it some months back when Posh Paddy posted some oblique reference to it on another thread that got me researching.
Report A_T April 9, 2016 8:27 PM BST
I never knew there were questions surrounding Montjeu's death.
Report kincsem April 19, 2016 12:27 AM BST
I'm on page 240 of 270 pages.  In my opinion it was a worthwhile buy and read.  I will re-read it.

The Irish Times today: "Coolmore Stud trying to frustrate book sales, claims ex-employee"
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/coolmore-stud-trying-to-frustrate-book-sales-claims-ex-employee-1.2615125

I sent an e-mail asking Dubray books:-  "Will Dubray stock the book?"
Reply from Dubray by e-mail:- "As regards the Coolmore title, we are aware of this book but have no plans to stock it at this time due to insufficient demand."
Report TheFear May 4, 2016 11:30 AM BST
The Montjeu section is very worrying. Very good book,,,
Report johnoo1 May 23, 2016 6:27 PM BST
It was written by someone, who maybe was not as good at what he was well paid to do as he thought, and had a grudge against those above him, full of untruths a complete load of bull.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 26, 2017 11:37 AM BST
Kincsem,
Any word from Cashel Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 26, 2017 11:46 AM BST
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/former-coolmo...
Report Catch Me ifyoucan May 26, 2017 11:47 AM BST
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/former-coolmore-stud-employee-loses-appeal-over-publication-of-book-1.3096685
Report kincsem May 27, 2017 2:07 PM BST
Catch Me ifyoucan
Kincsem,
Any word from Cashel Devil

I don't understand.
I have no connection with Coolmore or with the author.
My interest is pedigrees.
Currently I'm reading "Wild Ride" by Ann Hagedorn Auerbach "the rise and tragic fall of Calumet farm Inc, America's Premier Racing Dynasty"
and Give A Man A Horse by Dianne Haworth "the remarkable story of Sir Patrick Hogan" (Sir Tristram, Zabeel, Cambridge Stud New Zealand)

My opinion on the book on Coolmore is they are coming out of this as bullies.
If there is something in the book factually incorrect they should state it, and if they feel strongly enough about it the go to court on the facts.

I bought another book about Coolmore about six months ago, and have not read it yet.
It is obviously a three cheers for Coolmore book probably with their support and has no substance.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com