Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ovalu
18 Feb 16 22:02
| Topic/replies: 112 | Blogger: ovalu's blog
I have a mare who I'm undecided on where to send this year and would appreciate any views. She is Danehill line, compact and speedily bred.
the sires I'm considering along with pros and cons as I see them are, Ivawood, pros- V fast and precocious, first season, decent looking...cons- not a gr 1 winner, by Zebedee, average pedigree, large book I presume, bit expensive
Power, pros- v good gr1 winner at 2 and 3, v proecocious, top class pedigree, oasis dream. I presume they'll deal...   cons- not a looker, first runners this season and a lot of competition this year
G Force, pros, first season, gr 1 winner, good pedigree,Tamayuz...cons, big book I presume, not v precocious, inconsistant performer,  I havn't seen him, could be full?
Capella Sansevero, pros- Good looking, fast and precocious, first season, Showcasing, price....Cons, was he good enough to go to stud?, v small independent stud, average pedigree
Most Improved (bit left field this one)  pros, gr 1 winner, good pedigree, good 2yo,  nice looking, price( i presume they'll deal a fair bit)... cons, 3rd season, unsound, v inconsistant, bit scopey for a budget flat sire?

any thoughts appreciated!

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 17
By:
proxygene
When: 19 Feb 16 18:40
Ah just the kind of dilemma where mating by numbers could provide the casting vote....

If you PM me the mares name then I can see what this computer says; do with it what you will. My gut feeling would be Ivawood as the other 4 involve taking a view on them.
By:
Formtwist
When: 19 Feb 16 19:43
Dragon Pulse, Tagula, Canford Cliffs? Ireland is not my zone but your thoughts would be interesting.
By:
ovalu
When: 19 Feb 16 21:39
Thanks for the suggestions, my views would be, dragon pulse not good enough, tagula not commercial, Canford too expensive
By:
proxygene
When: 19 Feb 16 22:45
#247 G Force
#315 Power
#467 Capella Sansevero
#478 Ivawood
#701 Most Improved

rankings for your mare out of about 900 sires on the database still appearing in current runners pedigrees.

Not too many suggestions thrown up for her in Ireland in range that are commercial and fresh.

#5 Pour Moi !
#89 Henrythenavigator
#92 Battle Of Marengo
#139 Alhebayeb
#196 Born To Sea
#237 Anjaal
#291 Moohaajim
By:
ovalu
When: 19 Feb 16 23:58
Fascinating stuff Proxy! I dont know how your system works but there I was looking at big fast types and you've come up with the compact stayer Pour Moi! Certainly food for thought, my cheap Most Improved idea hasn't worked out too well! Thanks for your input
By:
Tascro
When: 20 Feb 16 02:25
hi proxygene. can u tell me the site u get those sire rankings for mares. many thanks. john
By:
Posh Paddy
When: 20 Feb 16 09:48
Here's my 2 pence worth.

Dandy Man (8k) maybe worth a look although I believe he is full (150) with a large waiting list.

Camacho (7.5k) could take off having come back to Ireland a couple of years ago. In breeding to Danehill though so maybe not ideal for you.

Zebedee (8k) gets plenty of 2yo runners and was busy last year so you'll have plenty to run for you. Tally Ho are good at supporting their stallions too.

Gutaifan (12.5k) first season and commercial but again I think he's full.

Ivawood (9k) definitely worth further investigation and I understand he's a looker.  He will be very busy though, I'd imagine 180+

Anjaal (5k) first season, precocious, worth a look, anyone seen him?

Starspangledbanner (15k) commercial and very reasonably priced but this is due to the 50% chance your mare comes back empty. Can you afford to roll the dice?

Of your list Ivawood could be the one although it may be worth looking at his Father too.
By:
proxygene
When: 20 Feb 16 10:38
Hi Tascro,
proxygene.co.uk gives an explanation of the system.
I'm happy to make one or 2 (helpful?) suggestions to like minded forumites as I do get bored of running my 2 mares through the system again and again.
After about 10,000 hours of development over 30 years I'm also keen not to be seen to be giving it all away (by Mrs P), especially after last years 100% filly foals setback.
If you let me know a mares name then I can send you what I have as a sample, sometimes it's predictable sometimes not, Regards.
By:
proxygene
When: 20 Feb 16 11:57
Hi Ovalu, if you look at the compact stayers best runner you'll see why the program found it...
By:
RBoyd86
When: 20 Feb 16 19:38
the darley club offer is a brilliant offer imo
By:
ovalu
When: 20 Feb 16 22:04
Thanks for your views PoshPaddy, Proxygene has thrown me completly off course with his Pour Moi suggestion, who I wouldnt even have considered. I was hell bent on breeding a commercial type, now I'm dreaming of a Derby winner!
By:
proxygene
When: 21 Feb 16 00:11
I think Pour Moi will have better 3 year olds than 2 year olds but I'm not sure this will be reflected in sales prices. Is a late starter what you need to kick off a mares career, along with the risk of ending up retaining said offspring? However if they do do well his price might be a bargain whether he follows Motivator and Authorised to France or not..

Incidentally Sir Percy and Pastoral Pursuits were in the top 30 too, so a mixed set really.
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 22 Feb 16 13:47
Hope you're making progress ovalu.

In order,

1, ivawood. He appears plenty back at the knee in his photos mind, so beware adding that to Danehill if you are any way in that camp.
2. Capella. Scary but if he's beautiful you're always in with a shout
3. Power. Never liked him but nor did anyone else and they have sort of outsold that impression. I think he could be a sleeper
4. Gforce. He's first season at quite a good start up stud. That to my mind is all he has.
5. Most Improved. High risk horse, high risk timing.

I'm still struggling too. The biggest problem should foal soon so I keep putting it off. Mind you so is she!
By:
ovalu
When: 22 Feb 16 22:51
Thanks Potm, always insightful, regarding G force, is a group 1 winning sprinter with a very good pedigree not attractive? is the lack of precosity the problem?  and have you any views on whether pour moi can make a come back from his dull start? (I'm still a bit intrigued by proxygene finding my mare may suit him)
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 23 Feb 16 11:05
Ovalu, it's always a leap of faith when we mere mortals make a sire selection because lo, we actually need to cover costs unlike so many in this industry! So I don't really want to come on here and really lay in to a sire, particularly not one stood by an organisation not floated on oil, coffee, cardboard cartons and the likes.

Pour Moi is not impossible to make it as Coolmore's current Galileo advertising analogy suggests. History does show a thousand failures to every Galileo though so it's all about your leap of faith not mine! I used him in year one and was very happy with the result who appears to have a modicum of ability too, but I'm not holding my breath for the 3yo to come on singing and dancing, because life's so often not like that!

You know the negatives with G force as well as me and I don't want to list them on here because I daresay someone might be contracts signed and at that point no one wants to be undermined. I think they outweigh the positives, but hell, like  everyone I am wrong more often that not and with a lovely big Colt you can be wrong and still live to tell the tale.

Just get your mare to sign a 'no chesnut filly' contract if you feel like a big time gamble Cool.
By:
kincsem
When: 23 Feb 16 13:56
I'm not going to get involved as I would probably suggest sires not mentioned above, and confuse things.
As proxygene said you need the name of the mare.  This gives her full pedigree, and allows her dam side to be considered.

"She is Danehill line" ...... gives less than 50% of the pedigree (unless she is by Danehill).
"She is Danehill line out of a Xxxxxxxxx mare" ...... gives less that 75% of the pedigree  (unless she is by Danehill).
By:
Wilycayote
When: 23 Feb 16 20:51
Most sensible comment ive read on here for a while;

"I don't really want to come on here and really lay in to a sire, particularly not one stood by an organisation not floated on oil, coffee, cardboard cartons and the likes".  Potm

Its easy for us to pick holes in stallions but at our/my level its not about looking for perfect, its about potential. My general test if I'm not sure is to ask myself... Am I excited by this sire? After all, we're selling dreams. Hence why the Darley club wont work, there is no excitement.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com