Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
truehoncho
18 Jul 14 18:00
| Topic/replies: 4,337 | Blogger: truehoncho's blog
How do we think he's doing?

Is he a commercial prospect next year and would his foals be worth a look in December?
Show More
Report roadrunner46 July 18, 2014 6:49 PM BST
good winner today, ive tracked SIR PERCY runners last year, gave up very quickly, never got any winners. not really doing very well this season either.
Report potentialmillionaire July 18, 2014 9:40 PM BST
I am not sure where roadrunner46 has been looking because Sir Percy has one of the very best winners to runners ratio of all stallions standing at stud. He has never had quality or quantity of mares however and that keeps his runners down.

However mares have been constantly increasing so his record will improve but of course he falls in no mans land in terms of headline runners or precocious 2yos.

When they get to the track and win, it is hard to see that he will be offending the trainers that handle them though, so I just wonder if he might be worth a sneaky gamble truehonch. He certainly would not be particularly obvious to the foal market yet a nice yearling would surely have some takers.

For god sake don't get yourself a grotty one though, I can't think that would be a goer. . .(is it ever?!!)
Report proxygene July 18, 2014 10:57 PM BST
Already booked mine.......
Report proxygene July 18, 2014 10:58 PM BST
Go Percy Go
Report roadrunner46 July 19, 2014 1:00 AM BST
sir percy had 28 winners and 39 wins, not exactly prolific, with such a small sample size, the likely chance of finding a good amount
of winners wasnt good, and worked that out eventaully, the only one i managed to find and notebook last year that was really good was FLORA MEDICI, just from my betting perspective, not all that, hopefully get more runners and better mares, then who knows what the future holds.
Report Johnny_Mustang July 19, 2014 8:31 AM BST
Only a matter of time before he gets shipped to Ireland to cover the amount of mares he'd liked to have seen in Newmarket. Was never, ever, in a million years going to succeed as a flat stallion.
Report truehoncho July 19, 2014 12:16 PM BST
Thanks for all the feedback. I was considering taking a bit of  gamble on a foal and keeping it for the breeze ups, his runner to foal ratio seems quite good to me and thought it might work.

Johnny, I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of him. However, it has to be said that it can be a perplexing situation when horse that was unbeaten as a 2yo and a Dewhurst winner was never, ever, in a million years going to succeed as a flat stallion.
Report yer ma July 19, 2014 12:42 PM BST
Not sure about the breeze-ups TH, you'd be breaking new ground there.  I don't dislike him and gets racehorses but a niceish colt foal will be making 2/3 of his probable top price as a yearling so can't see massive upside.  Fillies clearance rates / sale averages are grim.  Better off with a nice cheap (ie. not one that's made a big splash but is getting winners) new speed stallion if breezing the plan.
Report potentialmillionaire July 20, 2014 10:22 PM BST
Gosh, Johnny, in all my years at this game one thing I am adamant about is that it never does to be adamant.

Personally I think Sir Percy has made it as a flat stallion. Galileo he ain't but then nor is anything else and his w/r ratio, his 14 northern hemisphere stakes horses and ratio of decent winners to foals from the opportunities he has had is laudible.

His chances as a NH stallion as a small light framed light of bone and not particularly correct May 2yo winner, well I wouldn't be adamant about that either. Will he really be hoovered up by RAthbarry and co?

A successful stallion with a non commercial reputation might just represent an opening for truehoncho. The obvious rarely has much of an angle to it after all, Uncle Tom Cobbley  tends to get all his mates to raise their catalogue.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com