Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
roadrunner46
21 Jun 14 17:00
| Topic/replies: 7,689 | Blogger: roadrunner46's blog
that race produces a lot of top class stallionsHappy great race DARK ANGEL/OASIS DREAM/ DUTCH ART and the progeny aint bad either.
Pause Switch to Standard View MIDDLE PARK STAKES
Show More
Report roadrunner46 June 22, 2014 10:08 AM BST
well done to DUTCH ART finally getting its first group 1 winner SLADE POWER. what price will be the stallion fee next season or will the price stay the same.
Report Wilycayote June 22, 2014 2:03 PM BST
knowing Cheveley Park he might be 50k next year. (he says jokingly with a little worry!)

Does anyone have a theory as to why Cheveley manage to stand horses at approx 25% higher fees than they might be if they stood elsewhere?
Report potentialmillionaire June 22, 2014 7:55 PM BST
I hope you get a reply or two here Wily, I'm keen to see if anyone knows.

Dutch Art is playing  catch up, his fee having been in advance of his record for the last few years.
Don't indeed be surprised if it takes a hike off in front again for 2012, where as to mere mortals he might just be getting near to justification of the 35.

I think that Cheveley are the ultimate middle class Middle England outfit.  Nice ladies with their twinset and pearls love to chat to that nice, oh so polite Chris Richardson and lovely John Marsh and they are there year in year out. Many of those same ladies wouldn't ship their mares to Ireland and a lot of Newmarket people as we know don't really like to look beyond the town boundaries for their choice of stallion. As a boarding stud, one is hardly likely to recommend a spell with the clients mare elsewhere and the subsequent loss of income.

As we always moan, the choices over here aren't as wide as they should be and I think that there are quite a large group of breeders who are governed by habit really. I was talking to one breeder who booked his Kyllachy this season, because year in year out that's what he does, and only then did he start analyse the slightly preposterous fee level.

My excuse for the same booking is pretty flimsy too!
Report roadrunner46 June 22, 2014 8:35 PM BST
dutch art is starting to get the good winners now, nearly got a 1000 guineas winner as well this season, first crop has delivered
that group 1 success now, albeit maybe a year or so later than some of the other stallions. just noticed slade power is closely related
to society rock, making the right decisions (matings) and having some good fortune, can produce that elusive group 1 horse.
Report yer ma June 25, 2014 11:54 AM BST
For years (on here) I've bemoaned CP stud's disconnection with the realities of commercial breeding and PotM has largely described why they get away with it.  IMO however they are starting to creak a bit lately and maxing out on Dutch Art (and keeping Pivotal too high) is a way of covering the cracks.  Notice how many other studs stallions they have been using lately and the pretty ropy horses they've been sending out / taking shares in to find another speed stallion cause clearly they already worried about Mayson, Medicean appears done and Kyllachy has probably peaked.  A lot riding on Lethal Force.  Dutch Art had to getting Grp1 winners to justify 25k let alone 35k let aloner 50k.  Likes of Lawman and HRE (also 10yos) have better stats at lower fees, let alone some far less hip stallions at a fraction of the cost but with better stats (eg. footstepsinthesand).  Sales wise though he's been gold dust.
Report roadrunner46 June 25, 2014 12:45 PM BST
they sound like a very clever operators, targeting sprinters and leaving the middle distance stallions for other operations, and they
bought lethal force. with the fees going up every year, enabling them to keep ahead of the curve.
Report potentialmillionaire June 25, 2014 4:16 PM BST
I wish we could rename this thread Cheveley Park, How do they do it?

(And get them to read it)

I have used K this year because he is a great match for the mare and I was after something proven. A lateish foaling mare isn't my favourite to ship to Ire and it is a very expensive operation to so I get to save a notional 2 or 3k on a Kyllachy fee.

It is interesting therefore that I find myself at Cheveley, as I haven't been down that route for 8 years.
I don't suppose they think for a minute why people like me turn up at the sales every year without a product partly provided by themselves, after all I'm a minnow.
Interestingly though there are several operations, not inconsiderable, that make it their business to find out why I haven't used their  horses if appropriate and little naive me thought that that was a basic premise of a good business model.
Who knew. . .
Report yer ma June 26, 2014 9:23 AM BST
A friend of ours sold two of the most expensive CP stallion foals last year.  Not a thanks / WD from them and no deals offered when asking about this year.  Coolmore are always on the phone asking what our plans are if they havent heard by the turn of the year.

You haven't seen /got any Foxwedge's have you PotM.  Shopping soon.
Report potentialmillionaire June 26, 2014 11:38 AM BST
I suppose I don't expect everyone to be a 'dealing' type of operation really. And in a way it is quite refreshing when as a minnow I can not take advantage of the pile 'em high sell 'em cheap discount houses.

However If you don't deal you need to be mighty sure of your product and the value it offers. Maybe Cheveley will continue to get away with it. Maybe there is room for them all. I wonder though, as their core client gets older, will the younger brigade not be a little more savvy?

Foxwedge is a major sore subject for me yer ma, and one of my mares for that matter.
However that aside, my vet was called out to supervise a Frankel foaling for a neurotic boarding stud and all went well, until anyone glanced in the next door box to view the Foxwedge foal of the night before!

Reports are pretty amazing by all accounts and the Aussie first crop sales have been likewise haven't they.

Now, can we get past Fastnet Rock up here right now. . . .
Report roadrunner46 July 12, 2014 3:53 PM BST
another CHAMPION SPRINTER AGAIN SLADE POWER, just like LETHAL FORCE last yearHappy
Report roadrunner46 July 12, 2014 11:27 PM BST
suppose SLADE POWER will be very popular when it goes off to stud sooner or later, will the price be more expensive than LETHAL FORCE though?
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! July 13, 2014 1:18 PM BST
Was at Kildagan earlier in the year
After Leathal Force had been withdrawn
Was quoted at 10,000 euros

Would be a bit of a bargain at that price

Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com