Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
cyclops
13 May 14 16:46
| Topic/replies: 1,157 | Blogger: cyclops's blog
An extraordinary sire, whose reputation can only soar in my view. He'll have his best years when long gone but, at 23, he's still got a little time left as an active sire with luck.
Last season was his best with 69 winners and his tally has increased nearly every year.
His lifetime 36% winners to runners is phenomenal, given that for so long he was poorly regarded and sent only the humblest of mares.
586 winners to date and the hallmarks are soundness, jumping, improving with age and gameness; notably more of his runners win than come second. In addition, they are fine lookers. Most appear to act on all going, as backed up by his career statistics of equal percentage success on going ranging from heavy to firm.
His stud's website claims that runners sired by him are 17lbs better than the same dams produce by all other sires.
If, as yet, he has not produced a truly class horse, I believe that it's only a matter of time. The rash of bumper winners late this season emphasise that, with better mares having been sent to him, the quality is almost certain to improve.
And yet, his stock have never made huge sums at auction. Seeing that he has 10 stores going through the ring at Doncaster this month, it will be interesting to see if people have begun at last to take more notice of this incredible stallion. One can only speculate as to how pre-eminent he might have been, given suitable patronage.
A legend, indeed, and one that will grow.
Pause Switch to Standard View Midnight Legend
Show More
Report Jezebel June 7, 2014 3:28 PM BST
I've been a massive fan of this stallion for years.  He gets tough, game, sound, genuine horses.  Much under-rated for most of his career.
Report gmt January 7, 2015 1:54 AM GMT
Very interesting, I had always thought he was a very good sire but didn't produce top class winners. Would he be open to any mare?
Report Jezebel January 17, 2015 2:22 PM GMT
In his earlier days he was covering non-TBs as well (my friend has a TB/Welsh Cob riding horse by ML).  Obviously he's a lot older now and I don't know how his fertility is holding up so they may be a bit choosier given his improved reputation but worth enquiring if you have a mare in mind.
Report Breedingmad January 27, 2015 12:57 AM GMT
Can you not freeze the sperm?,that way we could keep the best sires going..
Report Jezebel February 4, 2015 3:25 AM GMT
Artificial insemination is currently banned in the world of racing breeding. Any horse conceived by AI would not be eligible for registration in the stud book.
Report cyclops February 19, 2015 11:56 AM GMT
They're apparently limiting him to 50 mares a season now, but fertility holding up well, so still opportunities with the Legend, but obviously not for long.
He sired the first three winners at Taunton earlier this week; some feat for one who does not have anything like the number of representatives that other stallions do.
Report Fabulous July 19, 2016 1:22 PM BST
Sadly passed away due to Colic Sad
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com