Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
intergoal
03 Apr 14 11:52
| Topic/replies: 29 | Blogger: intergoal's blog
I have to declare an interest in that I own horses in South Africa, but this caught my eye:

http://www.sportingpost.co.za/2014/03/south-african-thoroughbreds-open-letter-to-the-worlds-thoroughbred-industry-powerbrokers/

I am continuing to buy breeding stock in the hope/expectation of a reversal of the situation which, if implemented, could have far reaching effects on the industry in South Africa.

I wonder what thoughts breeders here have on the situation?
Pause Switch to Standard View Dubai World Cup and South African...
Show More
Report EastLower Gooner April 17, 2014 3:55 PM BST
Splendid letter and I like that Geoff Woodruff responded to it.

It's very poor the way the South African horses are treated and I think another problem not mentioned is that it denies the SA racing public a chance to see their top horses locally.

Vercingetorix is a good example...if it wasn't for the insane quarantine rules he could've run in the Durban July and still had sufficient time to rest up before a tilt at Dubai.

Also think if you need an example of what it can do to a horse then Igugu is the best one. I feel very sorry for her. After her win in the J&B she was widely considered to be potentially the best daughter of Galileo out there but the quarantine destroyed her....turned up to Dubai and just looked a complete shadow of herself. that was 100% not the Igugu I know from SA.

It's pretty unfair for something that I feel with better handling can be rectified.

Fair play to MDK for doing what he does....it's a helluva a task to travel horses that much and still get the best out of them.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com