Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
potentialmillionaire
15 Mar 14 19:21
| Topic/replies: 2,671 | Blogger: potentialmillionaire's blog
Currently growing a little tired and emotional due to mares that refuse to foal.

3 overdue and of particular annoyance 2 are now over a week later than they have ever been before.

Is there something in the water? Are they unhappy with their new billet?

Is everyone else's stud season going to plan?

My maiden mare has done everything by the book mind and foaled on time and has just been covered by the apparently very fertile Havana Gold so perhaps me protest too much.

How it hangin' out there?
Pause Switch to Standard View Any thoughts?
Show More
Report proxygene March 16, 2014 12:29 AM GMT
My one and only was last covered 15 Mar.

I think the gills have developed at quite an early embryological stage so it must be growing fins thats taking the time.

Out for a bedtime check...
Report potentialmillionaire March 16, 2014 1:39 PM GMT
Well proxy, thanks for that! My 11mth3weeker has just slipped down the irritational slope a little.

Mind you with a constant 12monther still to come who knows!

Surely a colt for you. . .
Report proxygene March 16, 2014 9:00 PM GMT
She has alternated colt filly colt filly, though both last foals were 4 days short of a year. A colt would be welcome.
Report ovalu March 16, 2014 9:57 PM GMT
My one and only foaled this evening, 8 days late, filly, oh well!
Report potentialmillionaire March 17, 2014 11:10 AM GMT
Ovalu. When you've just got the one it would be helpful if she were to do the right thing for sure Scared

Mind you with more floating about and a shed load of fillies in production say, well that would be even harder to climb back from given the increased input.

Better a nice filly than a grotty colt mind so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on that front!

The one mare of mine is waxed up this morning and as she was the one who made (my own very selfish) headlines last year by having the slightly prem and subsequently keeled over foal, I am obviously very glad we have passed that stage.
Mind you, as she has held on to this considerably longer than any previous effort I have decided to worry about that aspect instead. Hence my interminable witterings on here.

I wonder if gestations are going a bit longer this year? Perhaps they struggled more than we think through the monsoon season.
I was minded however Proxy, that when yours arrives, dropping a few flakes into it's bowl once a day will prove a lot cheaper than the usual rigmarole when the result is equine not piscine perhaps?
Report proxygene March 17, 2014 12:03 PM GMT
I confess to not having thought about post natal feeding, I've only just taken the hint that the mare had been stitched: maybe thats why shes been waiting.

Maiden scanned in foal this AM though.
Report potentialmillionaire March 17, 2014 12:38 PM GMT
Well done with your maiden Proxy.

My maiden only gets on the boat tomorrow still looking a bit wintery too. I don't aim for January foals, but a shot at Feb might have been nice.

Have you got your good scissors at the ready or will you get the vet out?
Email me if you are struggling with anything that you don't wish to go public on!

I am sure Tetra Fin is the way to go with your offspring!
Report proxygene March 17, 2014 2:44 PM GMT
gnawed by kitchen scissors Sad yesterday. I think I have been forgiven but don't feel like it.

maiden prepped off site as no sudden access to transport etc at 3AM on a Sunday morning, still the lights and feeding regime must have been ok
Report potentialmillionaire March 18, 2014 11:34 AM GMT
Did I beat you to it Proxy?

Mind you said mare who has only had colts to date decided a filly was in order, and held on to it 2 weeks longer than she ever does a colt!

Still just delighted that she's put last year behind her and it's a promising type too.
Report proxygene March 18, 2014 12:30 PM GMT
Congrats.

nothing to report here, not even enough juice to do a milk test. not emotional yet just tired.
Report workrider March 18, 2014 6:41 PM GMT
I wish everyone on here all the best in what is surely a very nervous time for most ..Hopefully the mares decide to drop their foals at a reasonable hour , I wish says you ,  all foals are healthy ...Good luck all...
Report potentialmillionaire March 18, 2014 10:31 PM GMT
You are very kind workrider and how right you are 'a nervous time' !

I hope everyone on here manages a standout foal or two.
Report bigmart March 18, 2014 11:01 PM GMT
its almost like its the wife in labour Excited
all i will say is all good things come to those who wait , nature will take its natural coarse  , it wd be a bigger worry if they were early to be honest , hope all goes to plan ,my best wishes to all !
Report workrider March 19, 2014 11:43 AM GMT
Don't forget to keep us up to date Potentialmillionaire ....Hopefully you and others on here the the result ye deserve , a hard game is this breeding...
Report potentialmillionaire March 25, 2014 11:56 AM GMT
Proxy, I am deafened, and not a little worried, by your silence.

Have you produced a tatty filly that has left you poleaxed?

I am now 2+ weeks over with a maiden who has very definitely got the potential to do a grotty filly but there's colts in these here hills that might balance things up so I feel I could cope!

With a single foaler you are more vulnerable. You're not ar5e end out of the gas cooker are you?
Report proxygene March 25, 2014 12:37 PM GMT
As if by magic:

1.15 AM bay colt, bigger than her last 2 foals, all straightforward, did run milk and colostrum could be better so will IgG tomorrow, but overall pleased. Suspect footage via the proxylettes hit the web before I even got indoors.
Report potentialmillionaire March 25, 2014 1:29 PM GMT
That's some gestation proxy!

Glad it appears, for now at least, worth the wait.

Your bed will be particularly comfortable tonight I shouldn't wonder!
Report proxygene March 25, 2014 2:52 PM GMT
It took long enough so now I now have a foal heat mating dilemma otherwise I'll be back to May foals again within 2 seasons.
Report potentialmillionaire March 25, 2014 4:41 PM GMT
It's a total pain in the posterior for sure proxy.

These bl00dy mares that foal late, you're all out to get 3 in a row let alone 5.

I don't ever try foal heat any more mind. It seems to me that as every thing about a foal heat cover is less satisfactory than an ordinary - conception and chances of abortion at any stage - that it just isn't worth it.
My vet always says that the week and a bit that it saves you versus a short cycle at 20 days or so isn't worth it.
And given that it just leaves you a 30 day jump, which with these late foalers is an aeon, when you don't get in foal with the 10 dayer I have no problem agreeing that the safest bet is somewhere in between.

I've got a 12 monther who has just missed on one jump last year and she's scheduled herself another year off. Cry
Report proxygene March 31, 2014 9:41 AM BST
Managed to find some ground that didn't need flippers...
Report potentialmillionaire March 31, 2014 10:08 AM BST
Yet more technical talent on display. How I admire you who know how to get the best from these machines.

Well proxy, it seems like mum has the fine art of posing down to a tee and baby has a bit longer to go on that front!
At this age you want to give them a good stretch like they were made of dough or perhaps insert a balloon pump to iron out the 'cramped look' but as we always say, it would be a beggar to get them back in even after only a few days!
The mare looks really well, is she sorted?
Talking to a friend who sadly has become the victim of the supermarkets and regretfully just sold her dairy herd, if you fancied a shorter gestation period you would probably be ale to select a bull for it! They seem to be able to breed to just about anything undesirable in that game. Oh that we were in the numbers game that allowed that sort of tinkering!
Report proxygene March 31, 2014 10:26 AM BST
that one was after an hour in the field pursued by flies (footage on youtube including a nifty bucket hurdle) also first experience of outdoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvXt_Fvtjo
Report proxygene March 31, 2014 12:06 PM BST
that might need re uploading, at least the 1.00 to 2.14 section unless its just my PC...
Report proxygene March 31, 2014 11:51 PM BST
http://youtu.be/qFH6WzGru9Y
Report WinningColors April 3, 2014 3:59 PM BST
"Talking to a friend who sadly has become the victim of the supermarkets and regretfully just sold her dairy herd, if you fancied a shorter gestation period you would probably be ale to select a bull for it! They seem to be able to breed to just about anything undesirable in that game. Oh that we were in the numbers game that allowed that sort of tinkering!"

Tinker away - it's the bull plus breed that affects gestation length in cattle but a cow doesn't have the same ability to dictate when she gives birth, unlike mares can. It's a bit rich a thoroughbred breeder criticising cattle breeders, by the way - I'd say people in glass houses, having a long experience of breeding both!

My good mare always went a couple days short of twelve month's gestation, regardless of weather pattern but interesting to hear thatthang this season mares seem to be hanging out across the board ! Good luck to all still to foal - I've just the one mare due to HELVELLYN in a couple of weeks.
Report yer ma April 4, 2014 6:02 PM BST
Amongst my travails is a maiden fast approaching 12mth too...must be something up this year.  GL winningcolours, we've just had two outstanding colts in succession - a Requinto and a Helvellyn.
Report potentialmillionaire April 4, 2014 6:30 PM BST
REALLY pleased to hear about your 2 colts yer ma. I thought that after last year you really needed that tonic.

My 11month 3 week 3 day maiden foaled this morning (5am, don't you just hate those) and if any one recalls, she was the one I was largely advised not to cover. Well it's too early to say who is right but at least it's a bay colt and she is an attentive mother and disaster it is not. We shall see.

Winning, it was a typo, shoulda said they seem to be able to breed OUT anything, not to!

Yer ma, if you are still there... You've done Equiano. Still pro, or neg.?
Report yer ma April 4, 2014 10:34 PM BST
Cheers potm and glad you're doing OK in the gender draw.  Our equiano filly was v nice and will get someone a good profit. Def added bulk / sharpness to the mare, prob go & win at RA...now that mums gone and died.   Only issue I see is equiano like all the speed boys will need have multiple black type 2yos to become sexy, winners won't cut it. He's a 5k horse this year IMO.
Report potentialmillionaire April 5, 2014 2:01 PM BST
Thanks yer ma.

I'm leaning away from Equiano perhaps right now. Who knows which way I'll go but she either needs to get on the boat on Tuesday night or get covered over here next weekend so I daresay even I have to make a decision shortly.

Sorry to here about your mare and even more apologies if you have mentioned it before and I have overlooked. You seem quite sanguine about it, so hopefully whatever happened was an acceptable, if regrettable, course of events?

Glad to hear about a nice Requinto colt, the pictures have looked nice, let's hope he's Zoffany II come November.
Although not at the expense of my foals by 1st season sires
Report potentialmillionaire April 5, 2014 2:02 PM BST
I hope Wink
Report proxygene April 5, 2014 9:45 PM BST
So open season for guess the Irish boy now.
I have 4 that would be above Equiano and under 20k for a certain mare.
Dream Ahead
Lilbourne Lad
Lope De Vega
Power
Haven't a clue if any would match the mare but I think I can rule out 3 of them..
Report potentialmillionaire April 6, 2014 4:22 PM BST
Whilst I am very keen to peruse your list proxy, I fear you credit me with more b@lls than I actually possess!

A whole list of wrong year sires is very scary indeed and I certainly think your computer program has thrown up a selection of horses that don't jump out to me as immediate candidates on pedigree. I suppose really that I am looking to avoid too much Green Desert as I am rather beholden to it for the next couple of years and I am a bit Aga Khanish in my desire to try new things ( similar budget of course!)

Half hour later. . .

I've just got back from a quick look at the above pedigrees and I can see interesting links to the mare in question both in her pedigree and to sires that have worked well or are represented further back. It's complicated though and the 'wireline' that appears to be the number one contender doesn't get a look in anywhere!
Report potentialmillionaire April 6, 2014 4:27 PM BST
S not W Laugh
Report proxygene April 6, 2014 8:19 PM BST
Your preferred one on my list (of only 4 after all) or vice versa?
Report proxygene April 6, 2014 9:38 PM BST
That sounds like gobbledygook so here's something almost as esoteric

Warning
Dream Ahead
Machiavellian
Dark Angel
Oasis Dream
Lethal Force
Green Desert
Averti
Lahib
Dynaformer
Alleged
Johannesburg
Mr Prospector
Shamardal
Danzig
Rousillon
Diktat
Street Cry
Storm Cat
Avonbridge
Lilbourne Lad
Cape Cross
Galileo
Medicean
Caerleon
Report potentialmillionaire April 7, 2014 3:31 PM BST
Proxy, I'm not making much headway on the list or what I,m supposed to do with it! Bit short on time for one thing. Lots of horses I suppose that ring a bell affinity wise.

I don't think I shall be going to Ireland as I already have 2 over there and the expense just gets a little ridiculous unless you are passionate about the mating. I could get so about Dark Angel for sure but then there is the small matter of the fee and my lack of Grannies to mug should it all go very wrongI
Report proxygene July 12, 2014 10:56 AM BST

A more unfurled picture.
Report potentialmillionaire July 12, 2014 3:11 PM BST
That's better proxy. Your fencing's come on a bit too! Have you won the lottery?
Report proxygene July 12, 2014 3:37 PM BST
Just because I had access to lots of food I didn't know how to eat on Thursday doesn't mean I've won the lottery.

Anyway Mrs P decided our anatomy might be better off if they stayed away after covering so they're still at stud.
Report potentialmillionaire July 12, 2014 4:05 PM BST
I hope you stayed away from the lobster proxy, I'm always tempted and always disappointed. Did Mrs P get some ideas for flowers to put around the house?!

I didn't patronise the blues this spring so no brunch for me.

Shame you can't have the foal at home as it's my favourite time of the year feeding the fields twice a day. Mind you, I'm quite partial to keeping hold of my nether regions so if I had a your hospitalising stock perhaps I would think twice.
Report proxygene July 12, 2014 4:18 PM BST
Due to childcare restraints I was nobby nomates.

Underdressed fish out of water, well at least until the July course deluge after declining an attractive blue umbrella.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com