I note the first season sires with mares in foal on offer for sale...
Alfred Nobel 2007 (Coolmore Stud 5,000 Danehill Dancer ex Glinting Desert by Desert Prince), Equiano 2005 (Newsells Park Stud 8,000 Acclamation ex Entente Cordiale by Ela-Mana-Mou) ,
Gloria De Campeao 2003 (Alebacks Stuteri (SWE)3000 Impression ex Audacityby Clackson (BRZ) ),
Hellvelyn 2004 (Bucklands Stud 2,500 Ishiguru ex Cumbrian Melody by Petong ),
Makfi 2007 (Tweenhills Stud 25,000 Dubawi ex Dhelaal by Green Desert),
Paco Boy 2005( Highclere Stud 8,500 Desert Style ex Tappen Zee by Sandhurst Prince),
Showcasing 2005 (Whitsbury Manor Stud 5,000 Oasis Dream ex Arabesque by Zafonic ), Starspangledbanner 2006 (Coolmore Stud 15,000 Choisir ex Gold Anthem by Made Of Gold),
Vale Of York 2005 (Kildangan Stud 5,000 Invincible Spirit Red Vale by Halling )
Zebedee 2008 (Tally-Ho Stud 5,000 Invincible Spirit ex Cozy Maria by Cozzene ) .
Juddmonte Farms is owned by Prince Khalid Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, member of the Saudi Arabian royal family.
Teddy Grimthorpe is employed as Juddmonte's racing manager in Europe and oversees the operation in USA.
Juddmonte Farms consists of a variety of individual farms: three in England, two in Ireland, and three in Kentucky. Established in 1977, Juddmonte in particular is highly regarded for their 300 plus broodmare band.
The farm has owned three horses named Broodmare of the Year in the U.S. or Britain: Hasili, dam of stakes winners Dansili, Banks Hill, Intercontinental, Heat Haze, Cacique and Champs Elysees;
Toussaud, dam of stakes winners Empire Maker, Chester House, Honest Lady, Chiselling and Decarchy;
Slightly Dangerous, dam of stakes winners Commander in Chief, Warning, Yashmak, Dushyantor and Jibe.
In Europe Juddmonte currently stand as stallions Dansili, Oasis Dream, Zamindar, Beat Hollow, Observatory, Rail Link, Three Valleys, Cacique and Champs Elysees.
In USA it stands Aptitude, First Defence and Mizzen Mast.
Juddmonte Farms has over the years won a variety of awards related to horse racing. Among them are 10 Eclipse Awards to date, which includes the Top Breeder Award in 1995, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2009, as well as the Top Owner Award in 1992 and 2003.In 2003, they had a win at the Belmont Stakes, with Empire Maker and also had wins in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf in 2001, 2005 and 2009 with Banks Hill, Intercontinental and Midday.
Juddmonte's regular trainers;
In Britain include Henry Cecil, Roger Charlton, Barry Hills, John Gosden, Amanda Perrett and Michael Stoute.
In Ireland include Dermot Weld .
In France include Pascal Bary, Andre Fabre, Criquette Head-Maarek and David Smaga.
Successful horses on the European scene were often sent late in their 3 year old career to Robert J. Frankel in the USA for the bigger purse Grade 1 races.
In the United States, Juddmonte horses—including classic winner Empire Maker, Aptitude, Flute, First Defence, Ventura and Sightseek, etc. -- were trained by Bobby Frankel for more than two decades prior to Frankel's death in November, 2009. They are now being trained by Bill Mott and also Humberto Ascanio, Frankel's long time assistant.
* 1,000 Guineas - Wince (1999), Special Duty (2010)
* 2,000 Guineas - Known Fact (1980), Dancing Brave (1986), Zafonic (1993), Frankel (2011)
* Oaks - Reams of Verse (1997)
* Derby - Quest For Fame (1990), Commander in Chief (1993), Workforce (2010)
* St Leger Stakes - Toulon (1991)
* St. James's Palace Stakes - 3rd Twice Over (2008)
* Coronation Stakes - Banks Hill (2001)
* Queen Anne Stakes - Warning (1989)
* Prince of Wales's Stakes - Two Timing (1989), Placerville (1993), Byword (2010)
* Ascot Gold Cup - 3rd Coastal Path (2008)
* Lockinge Stakes - 2nd Phoenix Tower (2008)
* Coronation Cup - Rainbow Quest (1985), Sunshack (1995)
* Eclipse Stakes - Dancing Brave (1986), Twice Over (2010)
* King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes - Dancing Brave (1986)
* Sussex Stakes - Rousillon (1985), Warning (1988), Distant View (1994)
* International Stakes - 2nd Quest For Fame (1991), 2nd Phoenix Tower (2008), 2nd Twice Over (2010)
* Queen Elizabeth II Stakes - Warning (1988), Observatory (2000)
* Champion Stakes - Twice Over (2009), Twice Over (2010)
* Falmouth Stakes - Ryafan (1997)
* Nassau Stakes - Ryafan (1997), Midday (2009), Midday (2010)
* Yorkshire Oaks - Quiff (2004), Midday (2010)
* Sun Chariot Stakes - 3rd Nebraska Tornado (2004), 3rd Visit (2008)
* King's Stand Stakes - 3rd Oasis Dream (2003)
* Golden Jubilee Stakes - Danehill (1989)
* July Cup - Oasis Dream (2003)
* Nunthorpe Stakes - Oasis Dream (2003)
* Haydock Sprint Cup - Dowsing (1988), Danehill (1989), African Rose (2008)
* Dewhurst Stakes - Zafonic (1992), Xaar (1997), Distant Music (1999), Frankel (2010)
* Racing Post Trophy - Armiger (1992), American Post (2003)
* Middle Park Stakes - Known Fact (1979), Oasis Dream (2002)
* Cheveley Park Stakes - Prophecy (1993)
* Fillies' Mile - Reams of Verse (1996), Special Duty (2009)
Republic of Ireland
* Irish 1,000 Guineas
* Irish 2,000 Guineas
* Irish Oaks - Wemyss Bight (1993), Bolas (1994)
* Irish Derby - Commander in Chief (1993)
* Tattersalls Gold Cup
* Irish Champion Stakes
* Irish St Leger
* Pretty Polly Stakes - Promising Lead (2008)
* Matron Stakes
* Phoenix Stakes
* National Stakes
* Moyglare Stud Stakes
* Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - Rainbow Quest (1985), Dancing Brave (1986), Rail Link (2006), Workforce (2010)
* Prix du Jockey Club - Sanglamore (1990)
* Grand Prix de Paris - Beat Hollow (2000), Rail Link (2006), Zambezi Sun (2007)
* Poule d'Essai des Poulains - American Post (2004)
* Prix Jean Prat - 2nd Cacique (2004)
* Prix de Diane - Jolypha (1992), Nebraska Tornado (2003)
* Poule d'Essai des Pouliches - House Proud (1990), Zenda (2002), Special Duty (2010)
* Prix d'Astarté - Nashmeel (1987)
* Prix Ganay - 2nd Reefscape (2005)
* Prix d'Ispahan - Sanglamore (1991), Observatory (2001)
* Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud - Spanish Moon (2009)
* Prix Jacques Le Marois - Banks Hill (2002)
* Prix du Moulin de Longchamp - Rousillon (1985), All At Sea (1992), Nebraska Tornado (2003)
* Prix du Cadran - Reefscape (2005)
* Prix Royal-Oak - Rain Trap (1993), Sunshack (1995)
* Prix Vermeille - Jolypha (1992), Midday (2010)
* Prix de l'Opéra - 2nd Promising Lead (2007)
* Prix Maurice de Gheest - 2nd Etoile Montante (2003), 2nd African Rose (2008)
* Prix de la Forêt - Etoile Montante (2003)
* Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp
* Prix Morny - Zafonic (1992)
* Prix Jean-Luc Lagardère - Tenby (1992), American Post (2003)
* Critérium International
* Critérium de Saint-Cloud - Miserdan (1988), Sunshack (1993), Passage of Time (2006)
* Prix Marcel Boussac - Ryafan (1996), Proportional (2008)
* Breeders' Cup Classic - 3rd Jolypha (1992), 3rd Twice Over (2009)
* Breeders' Cup Turf - 3rd Quest For Fame (1991), 3rd Quest For Fame (1992), 3rd Dushyantor (1998)
* Breeders' Cup Mile - 3rd Observatory (2000)
* Breeders' Cup Sprint - 2nd Honest Lady (2000)
* Santa Anita Handicap - 2nd Champs Elysees (2009)
* Woodford Reserve Turf Classic - Beat Hollow (2002)
* Manhattan Handicap - Beat Hollow (2002), Cacique (2006)
* Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap - Exbourne (1991), Quest For Fame (1992), Midships (2009)
* United Nations Stakes - Exbourne (1991), Senure (2001)
* Man o' War Stakes - Defensive Play (1990), Cacique (2006)
* Hollywood Gold Cup - Marquetry (1991), Aptitude (2001)
* Eddie Read Handicap - Marquetry (1992), Expelled (1997)
* Arlington Million - Chester House (2000), Beat Hollow (2002)
* Pacific Classic Stakes - Tinners Way (1994), Tinners Way (1995), Skimming (2000), Skimming (2001)
* Jockey Club Gold Cup - Aptitude (2001)
* Clement L. Hirsch Turf Championship Stakes - Senure (2001)
* Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes - Kirkwall (1999)
* Hollywood Turf Cup Stakes - Champs Elysees (2008)
* Kentucky Derby - 2nd Aptitude (2000), 2nd Empire Maker (2003)
* Belmont Stakes - Empire Maker (2003)
* Florida Derby - Empire Maker (2003)
* Wood Memorial Stakes - Empire Maker (2003)
* Jim Dandy Stakes - 2nd Empire Maker (2003)
* Secretariat Stakes - Chiselling (2002)
* Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf - Banks Hill (2001), Intercontinental (2005), Midday (2009)
* Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint - Ventura (2008)
* Gamely Stakes - Tates Creek (2003)
* Just A Game Handicap - Intercontinental (2004), Ventura (2008), Proviso (2010)
* Diana Handicap - Tates Creek (2002), Proviso (2010)
* John C. Mabee Handicap - 2nd Tates Creek (2003)
* Beverly D. Stakes - Heat Haze (2003)
* Yellow Ribbon Stakes - Super Staff (1992), Ryafan (1997), Spanish Fern (1999), Tates Creek (2003), Light Jig (2004)
* Flower Bowl Invitational Stakes - Yashmak (1997)
* First Lady Stakes - Intercontinental (2005), Proviso (2010)
* Matriarch Stakes - Wandesta (1996), Ryafan (1997), Heat Haze (2003), Intercontinental (2004), Price Tag (2006), Ventura (2009)
* Kentucky Oaks - Flute (2001)
* Alabama Stakes - Flute (2001)
* Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup Stakes - Ryafan (1997)
* Breeders' Cup Juvenile - 2nd Eltish (1994)
Juddmonte scooped three awards at the TBA Award Dinner held at Park Paddocks in Newmarket last night: The Queen's Silver Cup as the leading British-based Flat breeder by prize-money in Britain,
The BBA Silver Cigar Box in recognition of Dansili's position as the top British-based stallion by earnings in Britain and Ireland
The H.J. Joel Silver Salver in recognition of Binche being named Flat broodmare of the year.
Are there any tried horses in the sale you woudl recommend ?
Anyone going? I looked through the young fillies to see if I can pick a bargain. I have room for one more and very tempted.
I think that the yearling and subsequently the foal sales will be, superficially at least, a little stronger this year. Just a feeling in my water as the wealthy seem to be a little more confident that Armageddon has been avoided, and are learning to live with the status quo. Fewer horses at the sales may help too.
So I could see fillies/mares taking a bit of a hike in December. After all they bounce very quickly after a better sales year I always think.
As such I was quite keen to go to July and have a nosey too. However no dosh means that I've just got to steer clear. Go and grab a steal Littleun and then I'll feel better!
Did you see last year half sister to Tin Horse sold for £1k!!! I have done some homework and was buying for Misu Bond specifically to resell in foal.
I'm going but really are very few decent covers that are going to be available at decent prices. Interesting to see if any the blood bloods in Hamdan turn up and what they go for - they'd be the big wins but no quick payoff. I need replacement for loss but going in hope rather than expectation. (also uncomfortable spending the big bucks I havent yet got from our acclamation colt!)
Figures from Day 1 dont look too bad ;
Year Lots Sold Total Sales Average Median Top Price
2011 162 2,236,300 13,804 6,000 175,000 2010 147 1,818,900 12,373 5,000
Pretty strong sale, lots of people and only very worst making little money (when did Pastoral Pursuits go so cold?). Hope it bodes well for later sales. Thought I was getting a granddaughter of Height of Fashion but alas the vultures descended.
The final retuns wernt too bad at all at the Tattersalls July Sale with increases across-the-board ;
457 horses sold for £5,910,800gns, up 1 per cent from 2010.
The average rose five per cent to 12,934gns
The median rose 17 per cent to 7,000gns.