Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tudor minstrel
24 Apr 11 21:26
| Topic/replies: 19 | Blogger: tudor minstrel's blog
Shirocco gained his first group 2 winner to day via a half brother to bushman , Grand Vent taking the Prix Noailles at Longchamp, his 3-y-o s could make a big impact on the european middle distances group scene this season.
Pause Switch to Standard View Shirocco has arrived
Show More
Report Prima Donna April 24, 2011 9:52 PM BST
Did you ever use him Tudor?
Report tudor minstrel April 24, 2011 10:26 PM BST
long time no speak Prima , no i didnt to expensive went to sleeping indian! hes done ok but certainly not fashionable, he did have a smart winner at sandown today for george strawbridge, but on the possitive side my mare had a very big strong colt and it looks like she in foal to pastoral pursuits , all well with your mares?
Report Prima Donna April 25, 2011 7:20 AM BST
tudor,Yes I remember you sending her to Sleeping Indian last year but did wonder if you had used Shirocco this year,but see you now have her in-foal to Pastoral Pursuits,that seems to me a much better and far more commercial covering than Shirocco so well done,and well done for getting a colt from her.IMO this year will be make or break for Sleeping Indian lets keep our fingers crossed as we too have a foal by him we got hold of a mare carrying to him who had a goodish page for peanuts,he would not be on my list to ever use but was happy enough to buy this mare despite the cover,so I will be following Sleeping Indian also.
Like you I will and have been looking out for Pastoral Pursuits as I have a nice yearling by him here at the moment that will be sold later on this year,its a nice sort with a lot of quality a bit leggy atm and it sure does seem lively but is doing well and is that nice dark colour like its sire.
Our mares are all mostly going to plan had some nice foals so far lost a potentially a very good mare (in-foal) one of those freak accidents,she broke her leg so was put down,and one mare who is getting on a bit now is proving hard to get in-foal so we may have to call it a day with her but we will keep going for the moment as she was herself good and has produced a couple of very good runners but age is against her now.
All of them seem to be going well over their foaling dates this year we have had plenty going weeks over god knows why the season is knocking on a bit and I hate very late covering dates it always puts you back for next year or if you want to sell the mare.Good luck with the colt this year hope S I does well and you have a successful sale.
Report tudor minstrel April 25, 2011 7:59 PM BST
Thanks for the update Prima,sorry to hear about your lost mare,its interesting that u discribe ur P P yearling as being lively as Hughie Morrison recently told a friend of mine that he finds them very very firery and he would know the horse better than most, i went to c my foal today and iam really no horseman but he looks incredably strong well made foal who stands out in the paddock with the produce of some high profile stallions!which has to be encouraging as hes a first foal? the mare has a winning 4y0 from only 3 runs half bro by Monsun rated in the 80s and a 2y0 half sis both with the guy whos taken over the reins at Michael Jarvis so she has chances,sorry me me me, i think you will find the going well over foaling dates was quite common this year, wishingu lots of success .
Report potentialmillionaire April 25, 2011 8:30 PM BST
I noticed on Meon Valleys matings for this year that every mare due off a 2010 May cover, was down to be rested this year.

A bit extreme perhaps, but I am moving against later coverings myself these days as it's just another blppy reason for the buyers to get sniffy. Do guys on here have a definitive cut off date?
If you decide to cover late then your options are quite restricted and to try and get a flexible contract with a hot stallion doesn't exactly win you friends either!

I've bred a useful 1st crop Sleeping Indian, but it's looking a bit uphill for him at the moment. Let's hope something else crawls out of the woodwork to help us all out.

I was interested with your Pastoral Pursuits anecdote tudor minstrel ( How do you do, by the way Happy ) as my experience is that they can be a bit spikey indeed. Mine was mad, but I'm sure they come in all degrees!

And whilst I'm flitting around, everyone has commented on late foaling dates this year haven't they? There must be something in it.
Report tudor minstrel April 25, 2011 9:50 PM BST
Hi Potential! which sleeper was that?Night Carnation looks top draw,2 sleepers in the 3yo mdn at Ling tomorrow the Beckett horse is the likelest winner but the Coakley horse is well thought of but will need the run after a few probs,lets say the PPs are mad but seem to run well above the mares ability,Grey Sovereigns were all crazy but what a great sire,its got to b the long cold winter hasnt it re the late foaling?
Report potentialmillionaire April 25, 2011 10:14 PM BST
Mad can certainly work in your favour on the racetrack - just a case of keeping a lid on it for sure. Trainers who are prepared to go with the quirky are fewer than there ought to be though. It certainly doesn't stop the Montjeus!

I'll keep a lid on my Sleeper - but it's true, honest! Laugh

It's interesting about the late foaling dates as the real winter although undoubtedly proper, was actually just about over by Jan wasn't it. My 2 foals were ordinarily 'late' and niceley early so I'm nothing particularly unusual.
Report tudor minstrel April 25, 2011 10:23 PM BST
It takes a real horseman to harness mad and how many real horsemen r left? Arnt Motivators getting a bit of a reputation as well?or is just the rumour mill! grind away.
Report potentialmillionaire April 25, 2011 10:28 PM BST
I'd certainly heard that too. And god bless our industry's rumour mill - we'd be lost without the tittle tattle!
Report Prima Donna April 25, 2011 10:31 PM BST
But we all love it!!!Don't we [;)]Good evening both.
Report tudor minstrel April 26, 2011 9:33 PM BST
As we all seem to have an intrest in Sleeping Indian its was good to c his Chief of Men win at lingfield today for Denis Coakley with connections expecting plenty of improvement from him.Back to nutter stallions how we got to this from Shirocco iam not sure but thinking about it wasnt Nasrullah the biggest fruit cake of all time as well as one of THE greatest sires ?
Report potentialmillionaire April 26, 2011 10:22 PM BST
Ability has often come at a cost!

Danehill and Sadlers might have led us into a position of false security when historically good runners have come with more temperament attached.

Nasrullah has certainly filtered through in many I agree tudor minstrel.
Report Prima Donna May 4, 2011 6:53 PM BST
Shirocco has arrived.

The way it looking with sons of Monsun doing well at the jumps game and a couple of his sons standing as NH sires I reckon its only a matter of time before Shirocco joins them in those ranks.As a high class staying son of Monsun he would have plenty of appeal for jump breeders...........far more than he has for flat ones.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com