Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
01 Apr 11 13:04
| Topic/replies: 22,632 | Blogger: sageform's blog
Very early days but the following sires are in double figures for the year to date (Uk flat only)
Piccolo  18
Kyllachy 17
Bertolini 14
Acclamation, Bahamian Bounty, Oasis Dream  13
Avonbridge  12 (third season sire making rapid progress)
Danehill Dancer, Exceed and Excel, Green Desert, Royal Applause 11
Needwood Blade  10.
Pause Switch to Standard View Sires in form 2011 to date
Show More
Report sageform April 11, 2011 6:47 PM BST
Kyllachy first to 20 wins for 2011 with Lord of the Shadows this evening but Piccolo on 19 still second. Acclamation and Bertolini on 16.
Report Wilycayote April 12, 2011 8:13 AM BST
Good to see some of the cheaper stallions such as Piccolo and Avonbridge doing well. Iver Bridge Lad must be the toughest horse in training, he runs every week.
Report Koo.... April 12, 2011 9:23 PM BST
sageform,  whats the best measure of a sire's ability iyo ?
Report jmc27 April 13, 2011 9:09 PM BST
A thread that I always like to see, the flat is back :)
Report sageform April 16, 2011 10:48 AM BST
Koo, We all have different ways of looking at sires. I think that the sires that are near the top of my table produce horses that try. Whatever class they are in, if they are good enough to contest the race, they will win the close finishes more often than the progeny of the disappointing ones. I know that some people are looking for the sires that produce Group winners, classic winners etc but as a punter and student of pedigrees I like to find winners at any level. Acclamation, Kyllachy, Captain Rio and Monsieur Bond are all in the category that I like at the moment. Exceed and Excel and Dubawi look very good as well. Galileo may produce lots of Group horses but he also produces a lot of beaten favourites.
Report potentialmillionaire April 16, 2011 1:38 PM BST
Interesting as always Sageform. I suppose you are searching for the winners that others are missing and toughness in sires is as good a place to start as any. I think will to win is often underestimated and is probably the reason a good filly that can beat a colt is a relative rarity.

I suppose that the expectation on a Galileo may be part of the reason they start at cramped odds and that might explain a short priced defeat as much as a perceived lack of resolution. ?
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle April 16, 2011 1:42 PM BST
Holy Roman Emperor seems to be doing okay at the moment...won the ballysax, AOB had a winner last night with him, may not be nothing to it but seems to getting a few winners
Report sageform April 16, 2011 2:20 PM BST
Dickie le Davoir personifies what I mean. Low grade handicapper by Kyllachy but loves winning and the price is always generous. Set me up for the day.
Report sageform April 16, 2011 2:20 PM BST
Dickie le Davoir personifies what I mean. Low grade handicapper by Kyllachy but loves winning and the price is always generous. Set me up for the day.
Report sageform April 16, 2011 3:01 PM BST
And Rimth is an Oasis Dream, most of whose progeny seem to be ready first time out.
Report sageform April 16, 2011 3:20 PM BST
As is Flambeau who won her first race last season as well. Missed that one today though, I preferred Side Glance who might need a mile plus.
Report sageform April 16, 2011 4:44 PM BST
Two more for Acclamation. Ponty Acclaim and Bawaardi.
Report potentialmillionaire April 16, 2011 6:43 PM BST
I thought too, that Acclamation's 3 fillies ran respectably and better in the Fred Darling today.

He does seem to have a very successful niche carved now. Just like the old man but perhaps a little better.
Report sageform April 17, 2011 1:26 PM BST
Acclamation had another short priced win with Lilbourne Lad yesterday getting to 21 in all for the year, joint second with Piccolo to Kyllachy on 23. The only other sire that is beginning to hit my radar this year is Johannesburg, now on 14 and well ahead of his previous efforts.
Report jonnyrotten April 17, 2011 1:49 PM BST
sage, how much is due to the groung? are the leaders fast gr sires that doo well in the summer
Report jonnyrotten April 17, 2011 1:50 PM BST
*going ffs
Report sageform April 18, 2011 7:50 PM BST
Some of the early form could be due to an AW bias, but apart from Piccolo, the usual names are coming to the fore. Dansili and Pivotal tend to have fewer AW winners so I would expect them to progress now with more grass racing. Kyllachy sems to get winners on any surface or going. It is inevitable that many of the leaders will be sires with large crops of runners that are nearly all running here in UK but there are plenty of other sires with lots of runners who do less well. Soundness and resolution are the key ingredients imo.
Report Shrew D April 20, 2011 5:23 PM BST
Dark Angel 5-17 so far. Seem like speed machines. Promising start.
Report sammy_fool April 20, 2011 10:00 PM BST
yes looks like a great start now .will be interesting to see if his sire acclamation can keep up with him with his biggest and most expensive (30k euro)crop born 2009.
Report sageform April 24, 2011 6:06 PM BST
Yes, Dark Angel looks very promising. Kyllachy now up to 25 this year and setting a strong pace.
Report yer ma April 26, 2011 1:58 PM BST
Given the amount of time I'm spending on my orphan Beat Hollow foal pleased to see him having an unusual burst of winners.
Report potentialmillionaire April 26, 2011 2:16 PM BST
Yer ma, forgive me if this is old news, but I seem to have missed your orphan foal scenario. What went wrong? Have you gone the foster mare route? When you can prop your eyes open for 10 minutes I'd love to hear the tale - we've all been there. Cry
Report sageform April 27, 2011 12:32 PM BST
Beat Hollow certainly having a good month, 7 wins so far. He gets support from Juddmonte which helps.
Report yer ma April 27, 2011 1:21 PM BST
Off thread so apologies Sageform - always interesting.  No great story but no less expensive and sad.  Arguably my best and favourite mare - multiple listed producer - picture of health with 2 week old (but early) foal in the field in the afternoon, by midnight dead on the operating 'table' from a large colon torsion and septic shock. Tried a couple of free fosters but neither will play ball fully so had 4 weeks of Aintree every few hours.  Foal appears teak tough, growing well and even onto pellet/milk gruel so some light at end of tunnel.  Hard game made even harder when misfortune strikes though.
Report potentialmillionaire April 27, 2011 9:22 PM BST
Bad luck yer ma. I hope the mare was kicking on a bit as it's a little easier to accept 'life's rich pattern' when they are not so young.

I had to organise a foster this year for friends who were a bit poleaxed by the death of an old favourite mare 24 hrs post foaling. Luckily I'd had a mare reject a foal a few years ago so went down the commercial route then and my friends were able to afford that this time and it all went brilliantly.

I don't envy you all the hours spent hand feeding - are you able to stop the foal becoming a spoilt monster? I've only got one foal on the place right now, with a great patient mother, but it still sometimes feels I am losing the battle in my quest not to be his sole source of entertainment - with all the undesirable traits that encourages.

Have you got a nice  sensible group you can include the orphan in? It's amazing how the nicer mares will 'look out' for an orphan.
Report Prima Donna April 27, 2011 9:31 PM BST
Sorry to hear that yer ma,lets hope the foal keeps going the right way,you have a lot of hard work ahead of you we both hope it works out.Happy
Report sageform May 1, 2011 3:39 PM BST
Sires table to the end of April. UK flat wins only.

Kyllachy  26
Acclamation 24 (11 in April)
Piccolo  24
Bahamain Bounty 22
Bertolini 19
Oasis Dream 19
Compton Place 18
Danehill Dancer 18
Exceed and Excel 18
Royal Applause 17
Avonbridge 16
Dansili 16
Johannesburg 16
Report sageform May 13, 2011 1:17 PM BST
Nearly half way through May and plenty of flat racing. UK wins to date.
Kyllachy  30
Acclamation 29
Bahamian Bounty, Piccolo 26
Exceed and Excel  25
Bertolini  23
Oasis Dream 22 
Danehill Dancer 21
Compton Place 20
Pivotal 19 and getting into the winners now.
Report salmon spray May 15, 2011 11:02 AM BST
Nearly all sprinters. Hmmmmm.
Report sageform May 18, 2011 1:46 PM BST
Sprinters who get winners over longer distances. I accept that sprinters will do well on my table as there are a lot of races run over a mile or less and the good horses run more often. Sadlers Wells regularly topped my table in his prime though and Cape Cross was top in 2009.
Report sageform May 21, 2011 3:09 PM BST
Sole Power backs up quantity with quality for Kyllachy who has had a very strong week-now on 35 for the year.
Report sageform May 21, 2011 4:48 PM BST
Dickie le Davoir yet again and then Tariq Too complete a great day for the leading sire.
Report yer ma May 22, 2011 1:30 AM BST
I know a few notables on here aren't fans at all but 8k cover for a suitable (strong) mare is a no brainer for me. Hope he and Acclamation keep it up.
Report Littleun2 May 22, 2011 2:59 PM BST
I was one of the few to use Arabian Gleam so I'm happy was easy choice with Inchinor mare
Report potentialmillionaire May 22, 2011 7:58 PM BST
I too think Kyllachy is Mr Consistent.

He never sells as well as you'd expect though does he and given the number that hit the sales it's quite difficult to hit profitability.
Good idea for a maiden for sure.

What happens when you send a lighter type of mare Yer ma, as I've never used him. He's certainly a pretty similar type to Acclamation but Acclamation's two year olds seem to keep him disproportionately more popular.
Report yer ma May 23, 2011 3:04 PM BST
Sales wise 08/09 werent great but last year you'd struggle to find a better fee to median ratio at that level. Its the lack of stellar lots which gives a poorer impression imo, but as we know whos buying the stellar lots of your coolmore or darley equivalents?  I think they can be light yearlings which is probably why they make up into better older horses (but thats not what the markets always wants). Saying that 4 from 9 2yo winners so far, 2-28 HRE, 2-19 Amadeus Wolf.
Report potentialmillionaire May 23, 2011 9:29 PM BST
Thanks for that yer ma. I try really hard to be objective but perhaps I am blinded by a lack of sexy toppers!

I am a median man for sure but I probably give most credence to the range of a sires prices to see just what proportion of his stock are profitable. It's the scariest stat in these days of mega books and certainly the thing that makes the game harder than at any time since I came in in 1986ish.
Report sageform May 24, 2011 4:18 PM BST
Another 3 handicaps in the bag for Kyllachy followers on an otherwise unremarkable Tuesday. Dubai Dynamo Class 3, Barkston Ash and Firstknight Class 5. All look capable of winning again soon. That makes 15 UK wins for Kyllachy in May.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com