Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Equimine.co.uk
17 Mar 11 09:16
| Topic/replies: 471 | Blogger: Equimine.co.uk's blog
Does the story linked below paint a sad, but unfortunately realistic picture of breeding in Ireland or do you think it is exaggerated?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12682680

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 21
By:
A_T
When: 17 Mar 11 23:11
What happens in this country to all the useless 2 year olds that don't stay in training?
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 18 Mar 11 19:40
There isn't a set of rules on such issues or a manual that everyone follows A-T!

Well bred fillies go to stud. All sorts end up in lesser racing nations. Riding/Competition horses have to come from somewhere. Teasers, blood doners, companions, all sorts of minority interests take a few.

I think by and large that until recently the vast majority found useful homes but obviously everyone accepts that this industry has received a pretty nasty bite on the arse like so many others in recent times.

I for one applaud those that have assessed the situation and decided that the most responsible decision is the humane despatch of an unwanted horse, and I think that the export of the carcass into the human food chain in Europe is also laudible.

The life and responsible slaughter of a racehorse is far superior to that of the poor pig providing the cr=p bacon in so many of the populations sarnies or the chicken in their curries.
I am happy to debate this endlessly with a vegan but have no truck with the careless carnivores getting on their high horses over such matters.

It is ofcourse regrettable that we find ourselves in a position of recession and subsequent over stocking of our industry and the unfortunate side effects.

Shall we blame the bankers or the politicians? !
By:
GANT007
When: 19 Mar 11 11:33
Well said.............I blame the builders.
By:
sageform
When: 20 Mar 11 09:49
As a livestock farmer (now retired) as well as an owner/breeder of horses I have no problem with use of horse meat once the animal has reached the end of its useful life. I do object though to the reference to pig producers. British pig farms have been decimated by successive governments that have imposed high welfare standards that have raised the cost of production but allow free imports from elsewhere. We now produce less that 30% of our pigmeat at home. Provided that animals are kept according to the law and slaughtered in licensed and humane facilities, then eating the meat from any species is fine by me. The output of horses, cattle and to a lesser extent pigs and sheep can't be turned on and off in a few weeks. A planned mating produces a 2yo 3 years later and a 5yo store 6 years later and noboby can forecast demand that far ahead.
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 20 Mar 11 19:37
Sageform, I have a close affinity with any farmer and my 2 oldest friends are farmers so I am with you on the short termism of recent governments when our food supply surely deserves a more enlightened view than boom and bust capitalism.

My reference was to "cr=p bacon" and indeed all intensive water pumped, chemical laden products and the systems that produce them. I have a deep suspicion that a way too large percentage of folk who throw up their arms in 'disgust' at a horse being put down don't give a damn about what lies behind the food that they create a market for, most worryingly perhaps, as you say the 70% of imported pork product.

This thread has not produced any such criticism of the current necessary decisions having to be made, so perhaps Betfairians are a sensible enlightened bunch afterall - and we can get back to our more usual discussion topics !
By:
Equimine.co.uk
When: 21 Mar 11 08:32
I am not so sure Potm that such a balanced view would have been the case if I had posted on other parts of the forum!
By:
sageform
When: 23 Mar 11 09:41
Spot on Equimine. Very small sample of opinion on here. Potm, I accept that you were not pointing at British farmers but most non farming readers have no idea about the origin of their food. This government is sleep walking into a major crisis of food supplies and we may be ploughing up the training gallops to grow wheat before long-and eating the horses-hope I am wrong.
By:
Prima Donna
When: 23 Mar 11 20:43
This is a regrettable but inevitable part of overproduction.Even if we all had the money of Sheik Mo' and had all set up are own retraining schemes there still would not be enough 'normal' horse homes to take them all,a very sad situation but perhaps better than languishing in some field uncared for.
By:
Steamship
When: 24 Mar 11 14:49
Makes me think some that die on the course are lucky ones.
By:
Prima Donna
When: 24 Mar 11 15:38
^^ Extraordinary view Steamship,doubt many would agree I don't.
By:
Equimine.co.uk
When: 24 Mar 11 15:39
I am struggling with that one Steamship.
By:
sageform
When: 25 Mar 11 20:36
Better a quick death than spending 2 years in a wet cold field with arthritis perhaps.
By:
A_T
When: 26 Mar 11 21:46
Maybe but it's a shame the industry can' look after horse properly
By:
A_T
When: 26 Mar 11 21:47
But it costs too much I guess.
By:
sageform
When: 29 Mar 11 13:23
They can live for 20 years after finishing a racing career.
By:
Prima Donna
When: 29 Mar 11 13:41
Christ the place would be overrun with them!
By:
neill d
When: 29 Mar 11 16:39
Laugh
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 29 Mar 11 19:52
Prima, surely according to Slick your place is Devil
By:
Prima Donna
When: 29 Mar 11 20:14
Don't get me started Pot M,we have far too many I seem to keep bringing the little darlings back for good.Unlike the Take That song I don't want you back for good.............even if it seems like I do!Grin
By:
Equimine.co.uk
When: 30 Mar 11 08:07
PD singing along to Robbie Williams and Take That. What an image! Mischief
By:
Prima Donna
When: 30 Mar 11 10:37
It has been known Equi'years ago I played rugby we always sang after a match,now I just do it when I'm driving (alone)and yeah sure I do know all the words to Take That's song!Laugh
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com