Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Airmail Special Gr3
08 Mar 11 19:43
| Topic/replies: 164 | Blogger: Airmail Special Gr3's blog
Law Society (Alleged), the  Irish Derby winner of 1985, has died at Gestut Isarland in Germany at the age of 29.
Trained by Vincent O’Brien for Stavros Niarchos,As a 2yld Law Society won the Anglesey Stakes and National Stakes and was runner up in the Dewhurst Stakes .AT 3  he won the Chester Vase and was second to Slip Anchor in the Derby before beating Theatrical in the Irish Derby at the Curragh.
Pause Switch to Standard View RIP Law Society
Show More
Report Prima Donna March 8, 2011 8:07 PM GMT
I remember him well at the Curragh,seems yonks ago now and incredible he lived so long.
I think Slip Anchor is still going at Plantation Stud or just about at least,in fact is he now the oldest living Epsom Derby winner still alive?Shahrastani the 86 winner is still covering at 28!That has to be a record surely.
Report potentialmillionaire March 8, 2011 8:23 PM GMT
Perhaps Law Society would have been put down a while ago, but he remained too vile to get any where near? !

Well done Shahrastani! Good going indeed!

I saw Slip Anchor a few years ago and it's always a jolt to see these previously imposing creatures shrunken and woolly. But it comes to us all Cry Laugh
Report Prima Donna March 8, 2011 8:52 PM GMT
^^^ LaughLaugh it's always a jolt to see these previously imposing creatures shrunken and woolly

Speak for yourself!!!I do understand Law Society was a Bustard!I remember seeing Royal Palace in Newmarket in his old age at the National stud he looked then like a little woolly pony he too was a bustard to deal with even then!
Report potentialmillionaire March 8, 2011 9:28 PM GMT
Though bye the bye. In the period since I've been in the game - 25 years one way or another - stallion handling has improved no end.

I think the guys (and girls - says a lot too) are much keener to work with the horse rather than arguing the toss over every little point and thereby increasing the aggression factor. Obviously the Alleged/Caerleons of this world would never be easy but stallions seem much more relaxed these days as a rule.
Report lbm March 9, 2011 7:45 AM GMT
Coolmore sent two stallion handlers from Ireland to Germany on his first season over there. I think that really shows how difficult this horse was. I know his groom back then (now working at Darley Japan) and he says he was very good behaved all the time in Germany. He really was a diferent horse over there in a quiet enviroment, left alone by himeself, which in most cases is what a stallion wants.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com