Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
westo97.
12 Oct 10 20:36
| Topic/replies: 74 | Blogger: westo97.'s blog
I am generally a form man and know little about breeding.
How do breeders ascertain fees for first year sires ?

Im not talking at the very top level ie Pivotal,Medicien et al

But horses of decent ability that have stud fees of say £4000

Thanks
Pause Switch to Standard View Breeding advice
Show More
Report westo97. October 12, 2010 9:03 PM BST
I appreciate my message above difficult to give an answer to.

So for example lets say Windsor Knot.

A very broad question but how do people expect its progeny to perform?
Report neill d October 12, 2010 9:56 PM BST
From my rudimentary understanding I'd say what has gone before them dictates their fee, ie Canford Cliffs has as much if not more ability as say for example George Washington had, but George was a son of Danehill ( successful sire) and Canford a son of Tagula (whoo's sired little of merit) GW's dam side would have been stronger also as tagula wouldn't have gotten many high quality mares. Other things such as precocity, temperament, soundness and durability would also come into the equation and possibly the most important of all what is fashionable, which explains the high fees of unproven first season sires. I'd say you probably know all of this already and one of the other lads would explain it better but I thought I'd get the ball rolling while I wait for the lads to come back from the drinklink.
Report westo97. October 14, 2010 6:36 PM BST
ok thanks Neill.Just interested as brreding knowledge not great and friend of mine been offered a share in a yearling out of Windsor Knot
Report potentialmillionaire October 14, 2010 10:13 PM BST
Stud fees for a stallion are widely published westo97 and they are a good place to start.

Cheap horse - Windsor Knot - is less likely to do well than expensive one - Authorized say.

However, the sales results of a 1st season sire will then give you a pointer as to the quality of the individual a sire is getting, which is the next indicator to consider when assessing an unproven sire.

So much of opinion is personal, but Windsor Knot will have a lot less chance of success than many. If your friend likes the set up and the team involved with his potential Windsor Knot then that is an important consideration. Otherwise he is perhaps backing a longshot. . .
Report westo97. October 15, 2010 3:14 PM BST
Thanks for response potentialm.

The cost is not alot too be involved so in many ways its a shot to nothing.Whilst he is not expecting the horse to be anything special,he would like to have a good day out with it next season and generally would be happy if the horse ended up a handicapper in the 70s for example.

I suppose my real question was with Windsor Knot being half decent horse and with the likes of Pivotal in the family too I was surprised the fee to stand with WK was as small as it was.As you say very unlikely the horse will amount to much but do first season sires at this low lever sometimes slip through the net and the progeny end up being a bit smarter than originally thought? Or is this stuff bit of a dream in all reality.

Im a form and visual man myself and I know the basics about breeding and only at top end of scale really.
Report potentialmillionaire October 18, 2010 7:44 PM BST
Well Westo, all of this game is a dream as you know. Windsor Knot would be in the bottom 10% in terms of hit or miss.

It could happen for him. But that's my view of his chances, adding of course that I'm never wrong!!!!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com