Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Prima Donna
06 Oct 10 06:40
| Topic/replies: 4,152 | Blogger: Prima Donna's blog
ShockedHave I missed something or what,is it just me? This sort of potential sire need cutting not standing.Poor runner poor family poor sire,I really think this horse will struggle and cant see him being at all commercial.Anyone plan to use him?
Pause Switch to Standard View Mullionmile retired to Hedgeholme Stud
Show More
Report Benjy October 6, 2010 12:15 PM BST
I know nothing about breeding but... I always quite liked the horse and I know at John Best's they always thought him better than Kingsgate Native at the equivalent stages of his career. The Equiano run, where everyone thought he had won, is actually a really good piece of form considering Equiano's results in his next four races; won a group 3, 2nd in a group 2, won a group 1 and 2nd in a group 1. I actually think he could have gone all the way to being a group 1 sprinter himself tbh but for his injury problems. Wouldn't the fact that he struggled so much with injuries put people off using him as well though?
Report Prima Donna October 6, 2010 12:57 PM BST
. Wouldn't the fact that he struggled so much with injuries put people off using him as well though?

I had no idea he was so injury prone Benjy,but when you couple that with my points above imo he has the perfect credentials to only really be used as a teaser.To underline what I said above NO MARKET FOR THIS SORT OF STALLION IN THE UK OR IRELAND,only place that he may do well in is Costa Rica or Kazakhstan!!!!![smiley:crazy]
Report Benjy October 6, 2010 2:19 PM BST
Yea he had big problems with injuries every year I believe. I think they had plans to do more with him as a 2yo but after Royal Ascot he had problems and never got back that year. Then missed his entire 3yo season with injuries before coming back this year and running a couple of good races before something went wrong on his 3rd run and he was retired afterwards.

I know what you are saying and on the face of it he has achieved very little in his career (only ever won an a/w maiden). But I think they are standing him based on reputation and 'what could have been', if you like. I think John Best will certainly use him and might convince a few to but I think you are right about him proving to be pretty unpopular.

I wouldn't mind giving him a chance though at the right price.
Report Prima Donna October 6, 2010 4:04 PM BST
He would need to VERY cheap almost free to the right mare,I have no idea what he will stand for but imo he would still look expensive at 1k,the word barge pole springs to mind when I think about it!
Report victors October 6, 2010 6:17 PM BST
i'd hate to be trying to come up with the advertising campaign trying to make him seem attractive. He was sold as a foal for 11000, as a yearling for 26000. His sire Mull of Kintyre was banished to India after siring one decent horse (araafa) and nothing else. The dam was unplaced and there is nothing significant in her page.  His best form was 3rd in the windsor castle stakes and 2nd in the abernant stakes both no more than listed races. I would think in any given year there are more than 100 colts with better credentials than him in the UK and Ireland, most of whom never a chance at stud
Report Prima Donna October 6, 2010 6:39 PM BST
Mull of Kintyre had one decent colt who also had a good family behind him Araafa,who's dam was a full sister to Pivotal, unfortunately Araafa has been a commercial disaster not to mention a flop as a sire,this new sire Mullionmile is a total waste of time,he could be okay if the stud who stand him offer him free and pay all your costs including sales entry.This could be the start of the £10/10 euro stud fee.
Report potentialmillionaire October 6, 2010 9:01 PM BST
There would be a ton of colts floating around with better credentials than him I would have thought.

Surely once you are a colt of too low a grade to attract the big players then just about any respectable stud should be able to afford a respectable horse?

All those Gr 3 Danehill Dancers Invincible Spirits etc etc.
Report top3 makin ahern and de souza October 10, 2010 9:52 AM BST
how much is milk it mick standing for at hedgeholme
Report Prima Donna October 10, 2010 10:46 AM BST
I think he was available at 1k this year but I'm sure you could deal and get him for less,he was a very tough sort in a way breeders should give sires like him a chance,I'm pretty sure he had one sell for around 20k this year,like his sire Millkom tough very good looking,not beyond the realms of possibility he might just do it.Can't think of any top flight 2'y old than was tough enough to run so many times like him and then go on and beat a high class field in the Dewhurst,after already winning a GR race,also he did go to the US and won another GR1,can't be bad for 1k can he!
Report Johnny_Mustang October 11, 2010 4:01 PM BST
He's off to France, so a little bird tells me.
Report Prima Donna October 11, 2010 4:14 PM BST
Rob Roy is going to France is Milk it Mick going as well?
Report Johnny_Mustang October 12, 2010 10:10 AM BST
That's what I've heard, yes.
Report Prima Donna October 12, 2010 10:17 AM BST
Lets hope he gets some support from French breeders then if that's the case.I'm not sure what that stud has at the moment but they do have Misu Bond,a great looking sire who was classy and sharp at 2 who does get superb looking stock he sure does stamp his foals,they have not sold badly this sales season either,lets hope they get some success with him a real nice sort I like him.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com