Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jonnyrotten
04 Oct 10 18:42
| Topic/replies: 541 | Blogger: jonnyrotten's blog
any predictions for the sale? car park overflowing today

1, bargain hunters

2, recession proof punters

3, alot of tyre kickers ! 

4, all of the above Laugh
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire October 4, 2010 8:18 PM BST
Well apparently the breeze up boys are staying domestic this year because of the yearling bonus.
If that's the case then the hitherto obscene (imo) ammount of US breds imported for the job being replaced by domestic yearlings will really pep things up.

Apparently the best yearlings in Europe by a bigger margin than usual, massive wealth always getting massiver, Dubai in attendance but not quite as oppresive as previously perhaps - well if you've got the right yearling (sadly I haven't this yearSad) I think cautious optomism is quite justified.

But it does drive you bloody mad when the carpark's full!!!!!
Report mightymoyes October 5, 2010 7:17 PM BST
no one on here competing with magnier today?!
Report potentialmillionaire October 5, 2010 8:10 PM BST
Prima will be - he's posting on here with his iPad, whilst kicking Slick in the shin when she gets too flamboyant with her catalogue.Laugh
Report Prima Donna October 6, 2010 6:14 AM BST
Pot M,Prima is not posting on his iPad,as you have guessed we are in NMKT this week,we did go to Paris on Sunday which was great got here on Monday,but with so much to do I had no time to look at betfair.
My comments will be a bit hit and miss this week,you know how it is sales time you always have drinks or dinners to go to (I'm getting too old for it all)in the evenings,I will look in but I do have things to do.

Talking of taking on JM what stands out a mile ............would you want to?Apart from Galileo none of the others are on fire,yesterday we sold 6 made good money on 3 lost money on 2 broke even with another,its tough out there you know.If you look at what is popular right now Coolmore don't have control over any of them.
Report potentialmillionaire October 6, 2010 2:52 PM BST
Hang on in there Prima, there's life in the old dog. . .

Your sale so far reads just like the sale in general it would appear. Hope you just punch above it for any more lots you've got to go Cool

I'll be out of commission from Friday and will settle for just one money maker!
Report Prima Donna October 6, 2010 4:13 PM BST
Your right Pot M there is life in the old dog just now anyway![;)]Overall its going okay but its not rip roaring away but I think we will live for another dayGrinare you up here next week?We are letting some go as we kept so many back last time and have far too many in training,we need to have good sales just to pay the training fees..........not to mention my bread and cheeseLaughgood luck for next week.
Report potentialmillionaire October 6, 2010 7:33 PM BST
Thanks Prima, yes I arrive on Friday for Part 2&3. Ofcourse having paid for them and more particularly prepped them, I am at the stage of thinking, well surely after all this effort, 'they must be swans'?

But I've got to keep grounded and remember that 'Geese' is probably a more accurate description in this case. Hope I'm wrong. . .Cry

I applaud you for letting yours go. It's easy to 'value' them at more than the market isn't it, but I always think that the ones to keep are the ones that are so nice you don't want to take them to market in the first place.
Report redal2 October 6, 2010 8:32 PM BST
Good luck to you both
Report potentialmillionaire October 6, 2010 8:36 PM BST
Thanks redal2, luck this year looks like it's at a premium! But you never knowGrin
Report imagele October 6, 2010 9:52 PM BST
Saw today that the Lawman's seem to be doing well but I had a look at a couple of the Manduro's and liked them - but the buyers are shying away from the ones I had looked at. I suspect there is the issue with German line not being commercial.  Dylan Thomas not selling overly well - I think he could be a bit of a surprise and a couple of astute trainers were buying up some nice sorts for good money.   

What do others think?
Report Prima Donna October 7, 2010 6:29 AM BST
Lawman is atm trading off the popularity of his sire I.Spirit,none of the Coolmore sires are setting the world on fire except for Galileo,Dylan Thomas like Lawman are both facing their first runners,I think people are waking up to the fact that the 'German' lines tend to be slow as crows, saw one yesterday by Selkirk out of a full sister to Monsun it only made about 20/25k,what stands out for me anyway the ones that are making money with plenty of buyers are the stock by classy emerging stallions things by O.Dream I.Spirit,Dansili, and Dubawi,I think we all need perhaps to re value our stock we can all dream but in reality they are only worth what people will pay in the ring harsh but true.
Report yer ma October 7, 2010 9:26 AM BST
I know you dont like him much PD but got to add Pivotal to that list - most sold well and Acclamation (though most are yet to come).  Amazing how badly Cape Cross, HRE and DT have done so far.  Barely Book 2 money so grim prospect for next week - oh thats right the middle market is propped up by the RP bonus scheme.....where's that notenough and his mate with the 25k new sire to remind everyone.
Report Prima Donna October 7, 2010 10:36 AM BST
Yeah that's a good point yer ma,its not that I don't like Pivotal in the past we have used him (when he was low money)to my mind he does not get enough early sorts to warrant 65k,but he is still plenty acceptable in the ring for now anyway so you are right perhaps I should add him to the list of what is sought after up here this week,only yesterday we were saying how Cape Cross is not doing well this week,plenty of people have lost money with him,the fact is with him where are his class runners?

.where's that notenough and his mate with the 25k new sire to remind everyone. Undoubtedly hiding hoping no one points that good point out to him Gringood luck with your Acclamations hope you come out on top,with him you have a very good chance fingers crossed.Cool
Report RipVanWinkle October 7, 2010 4:28 PM BST
Well i'm just back from tatts and i think that trade was good but my god the trade for coolmore stallions was badPlain i think that the cape cross's sold bad cause of conformation and walk. I liked alot of yearlings during the last few weeks
Report Prima Donna October 7, 2010 5:24 PM BST
How did you get on Rip Van at Tatt's and Goff's?Are you now finished or have you more to go?I agree Coolmore sires are like trying to flog a dead horse,we have had one or two bad sales with them this week,its hard work isn't it,next week will be grim Plain
Report jmc27 October 7, 2010 7:17 PM BST
Thought Dylan Thomas's stock on offer would have done a bit better. What did the people at the ring think of them?
Invincible Spirit seems to be flying as far as I can see only one made less than his fee.
Montjeu seems to be holding his own.
Report Black Sam Bellamy October 7, 2010 7:39 PM BST
"The trade for Coolmore stallions was bad"

RVW - which ones are you referring to here ?
Report Black Sam Bellamy October 7, 2010 7:48 PM BST
The biggest dud to me looks to be a Darley sire; Authorised.
Report potentialmillionaire October 7, 2010 9:08 PM BST
Authorized and Manduro prove that it is not only Coolmore types struggling this week!
As you know I struggle with Coolmore book sizes and when things are dicey, problems are massively magnified when you can wait another 5 lots and the next horse through the ring is by the same stallion.
Cape Cross is an interesting one. Surely after all this time he hasn't started producing physically uncommercial stock? I can see plenty of reasons why he is cooling, but he looked positively deep frozen at times this week.
Now I was wondering if we might not be back to the scenario where 'ordinary' owners/trainers/agents are waiting for part 2? Tatts have done a lot of marketing to try and make Part 1 universally appealing, but it can struggle from an elitist tag can't it?
Yer ma may be right that next week will be scarey, but history hasn't always shown it that way.
We'll see.
Report RipVanWinkle October 7, 2010 9:27 PM BST
All the coolmore sires except Galileo could do much better. Agree with the darley sires, we have done ok only sold at goffs and purchased 1 at both sales
Report The Gotchee October 7, 2010 9:52 PM BST
Is it the end of an era for Coolmore?
Report imagele October 7, 2010 10:07 PM BST
Just got back and found the sale a little strange re which stallions had suddenly become cold.

Authorised and the other Montjeu stallion Motivator.  They couldn't give his stock away. Montjeu on the other hand is strong - but as ever his fillies don't sell as well as the colts (with the exception of one which was a stunner).

Not surprised about Manduro - but I think he may be a surprise.  His stock looked nuggety but racey.  Surprised that the RofG's sold as well as they did - I thought he would be dead in the water.

As I said earlier - I think a few trainers have got good deals with a couple of Dylan Thomas' horses.  A couple of these were very nice.

Pivotal has cooled - some people would have just been coming out even on his progeny particularly given how high his service fee rose. The other stallion that has cooled a lot is Nayef - but this isn't a surprise as he seems to have dropped off significantly from his first crop successes.

The "feeding frenzies" tended to be on OD, Galileo,IS and, to a lesser extent Dubawi.  Suspect a few people made a killing on the Dubawi yearlings.  It was good to see Green Desert being appreciated again.  A couple of his fillies sold really well.

Dansili and Exceed and Excel were solid. I think E & E is a trainer's horse - they tend to be sound, try hard and will get your money back and middle level trainers tended to buy these.

The main first season sire seemed to be the Teofilo's - they weren't as big as I expected and some of them were very athletic. I saw one colt by Three Valleys (in the ring only - didn't inspect him) and he looked very nice. A bit concerned about Notnowcato - only one representative - a half brother to Gilt Edge Girl - so his page had suddenly become hot - but even then brought 35,000.  The colt was like his father - not overly impressive but athletic.  A bit of a worry though for next sale if a Notnowcato is selling without such a strong page to back it up. Because I like Inchinor I am keeping the faith with him though.
Report boba October 7, 2010 11:29 PM BST
danehill dancers were not selling well apart from the ones timmy hyde sold... him and pivotal both 17 now. With a number of up and coming sires like sharmadal, dubawi, ifraaj etc maybe these 2 are on the way out
Report imagele October 7, 2010 11:54 PM BST
There were no Ifraaj's in Book One - I expect he will be a hot sire for Books 2 and 3.
Report Prima Donna October 8, 2010 6:40 AM BST
Authorised I'd say did not overall sell that well as both Motivator and Coolmore's Hurricane Run have not set the world on fire,always dodgy ground for a sire facing his first runners esp' one like him who buyers will hold a direct comparison the those two.

danehill dancers were not selling well apart from the ones timmy hyde sold...
Don't be fooled with their results do you think Camas Park owned them?

The colt was like his father - not overly impressive but athletic.  A bit of a worry though for next sale if a Notnowcato is selling without such a strong page to back it up. Because I like Inchinor I am keeping the faith with him though.

Your first line say's it all really,then add in the fact he was at his best as an older horse who despite being by Inchinor out of a Cadeaux Genereux mare was neither fast or early,lots of breeders seem only able to see his sire and dams sire then convincing themselves he offers both speed and preciosity,look at his family NOTHING fast or early even his 3rd dam went to Inchinor and produced a 4/5 y'old who needed 14f,This stallion is know in this industry as 'No can do'mind you I have seen one or two foals of his they were nice looking sorts,but I for one will be staggered if this stallion is any good at all,except maybe as a future jumps sire similar sort to Gunner B.
Report jay..b# October 8, 2010 10:14 AM BST
Only two Giants Causeway lots in Book 1, both withdrawn? How come this brilliant sire does not have more influence in these sales?
Report Black Sam Bellamy October 8, 2010 11:35 AM BST
Probably just added to the sale so they quality for the sales races. Same as the Galileo - L'Ancresse colt. He must surely belong to Coolmore already.
Report yer ma October 8, 2010 12:47 PM BST
imagele - each stat to his own but your take on good sales is not mine.  Montjeu sold 16 with at least 4 less than the likely cover and at least three more were coolmore buyback / foal shares - including the ones that resulted in a stellar median.  Pivotal sold 18 with 3 selling for less than the likely cover of £60k.  I'd be amazed if Pivotal yearling owners werent generally happier. Pivotal, Dansili & IS all performed similarly.
Report imagele October 8, 2010 6:56 PM BST
Yer ma - take your point - I had only just returned and my comments were impressions only not stats - as the sale hadn't finished when I left. Having looked more closely at the figures I see that you are right.

PD - I also agree re: NNC - but my heart is ruling my head there as I liked Ahoonora and, in turn Inchinor and I suppose I am willing him to do well.  I haven't invested in him - only observing from afar.

Interesting to see what the next books turn up...
Report Prima Donna October 9, 2010 12:30 PM BST
jay..b#     08 Oct 10 10:14 
Only two Giants Causeway lots in Book 1, How come this brilliant sire does not have more influence in these sales? ConfusedBrilliant sire is he?Brilliant jay..b# Happy
Report Prima Donna October 11, 2010 12:46 PM BST
I know its very early but book 2 is not going as bad as what we thought..........hope for us all!Happy
Report RipVanWinkle October 11, 2010 5:09 PM BST
It is going good alright. Not over at the sale but i've been looking at it for a while and vendors must be happy. We sold ours at goffs as usual but unfortunately not at tatts prices.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com