Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
potentialmillionaire
03 Sep 10 20:48
| Topic/replies: 2,676 | Blogger: potentialmillionaire's blog
Quietly getting the job done isn't he?

With all due respect to Tony and Roger, who I like, how ordinary would the mares he covered be?

He's got a lot of useful 2yo's, and the O'C's have history of raising fees at a sensible rate, so right now I'm quite keen.

It takes a lot of hassle though to send a mare over and you need to really think it's worth it. Where are you guys on the horse so far?
Show More
Report Prima Donna September 3, 2010 9:20 PM BST
Yeah he is quietly getting the job done, though not such devastating effect as his half brother.Some shrewd people liked his stock last year and re-sent him mares this year. The O'Cs did well with Redback and didn't rush into selling him off so there should be some hope for Kodiac in the medium term. Tony said to me earlier this year that they had around 120 to him this season which for a 4th season horse is good going I'd say, esp in that price range. What area in England do you live in Pot'M? Are you around NMKT as it costs us around e500 to get a mare to NMKT. We have used him before and had a successful sales result. An English friend of ours sent a mare to him this year and it looks as thought that wasn't a bad idea. Pot'M as you don't like first/second season horses I would have thought that he may be worth a punt for you.
Report potentialmillionaire September 3, 2010 9:55 PM BST
I love 1st season Prima but will only use 2nd season if pushed. I'm not a 3rd & 4th gambler though that's for sure.

I wonder if he would be quite the agent for precocity that his brother is. He didn't do much at 2 so maybe they will progress too.

I agree that 120 mares 4th season is seriously impressive for his type.
I'm in the Midlands, so Tweenhills is about an hour from here so it makes a change from traipsing over to Nmkt for a midnight cover!
Also I am often 1st drop/last pick up for the Irish run (well on this side anyway) so that eases my conscience slightly. This year I paid e380 for a maiden and e650 mare and foal. Oh dear, woz I dunn, again!

Another question for my Emerald Islers. I am not necessarily a fan of boarding mares at the mega ranches of the public studs and normally board at a private stud down south.
That isn't great for tally Ho or other similar locations. Would we recommend boarding there or try and find a private stud close by?
Report Prima Donna September 3, 2010 10:35 PM BST
I must be mad of course you have used Champs Elysees first time,Kodiac could be worth a punt his runners are tough sorts and now he has had a listed winner it does look like he will go the right way,being a son of the great Danehill can only boost him as no more to come,another Danehill is Richard Kent's Multiplex he does get good sorts,faces his first runners next year,he is near you I think he's not too much money,a famous stud over here have shown an interest in buying him,I have heard the mares could look better on their return but that is only 2nd hand.
If I was sending a mare from the UK over here I would keep her at the stud where the sire stands I think you have a more relaxed mare the stallion is always on hand.
Don't get me started on travelling cost's its a lottery how much they charge,I do remember a box driver from your area years ago a guy called Gerald Spencer he said he lived near Tweenhills he took one of ours over on his way back home and my god could he talk a nice guy all the same.Happy
Report potentialmillionaire September 4, 2010 2:38 PM BST
Richard Kent and Rathbarry have a little history don't they?!
Multiplex does seem to be able to get a good sort doesn't he. About time they put up a portrait photo of him me thinks.
Friends of mine walked a mare into Mickley a few years ago and they covered her on a concrete yard!!!
I hope to god they've sorted that out.
Gerald Spencer - that's a name from the past, Malvern based, I used him a few times and he was okay, but I'd completely forgotten of him.
Thanks for your two penn'th on boarding Cool
Report Posh Paddy September 4, 2010 4:19 PM BST
PM, my parents in law's stud is 10 mins drive from Tally Ho, I can find out how much they charge if you wish?  My mare is there and it was very convenient sending her down the road at a moments notice when she was being covered by Baltic King last year.
Report Prima Donna September 5, 2010 10:33 AM BST
Pot M,its not Rathbarry I was talking about with Multiplex,it was the INS who had shown an interest in buying him,he is such a typical Danehill,christ he is one strong sort and I too think it would be a great idea to get a non racing photo of him that one in the sires book makes him look like a shire ridden by a tiny dwarf,it does him no favours at all.
Report sageform September 5, 2010 8:32 PM BST
Kodiak is by Danehill like so many good sires but also out of Rafha, a very good mare.
Report potentialmillionaire September 5, 2010 8:43 PM BST
Thanks for that Posh Paddy. Do you know how they manage their maiden/barreners?

Are they loose housed or do they stable and walker them. Too much to hope that anyone turns out / fetches in these days I suppose!

I'm still smarting from the vets bill for stud owners getting my mare kicked in an 'all weather paddock' where it seems to me that what else can they do but get into trouble?
Report Posh Paddy September 5, 2010 10:37 PM BST
They can be loose housed or turned out and fetched in.  They don't use a walker. 

They use the same vet as Tally Ho too so you would get the same level of vetinery service as well.

Let me know if you're interested an I'll e-mail you their details.
Report potentialmillionaire September 6, 2010 11:26 AM BST
Thanks Posh Paddy. When matings get finalised I may get back yo you.
Report Prima Donna September 6, 2010 1:51 PM BST
Pot M,Living in the UK would it be worth taking the chance with Multiplex?after all he has a nice page and unlike Kodiac he was a GR winning 2,y'old,I know its a gamble using a sire facing his 1st runners,but he is only small money your costs would be a lot less,I guess the overall quality of both stallions mares would be very comparable,I had my doubts about Multiplex until I did see him this spring of the two he is imo a better sort.
They have sold well this year as you have noticed,I would imagine with R Kent he has also had some jump mares so if you where stuck with it you could sell later as a store,I know you don't want to think about jump horses but its always something to have in your mind with any cheapish sire,if Kodiac does not go on next year you may end up with a very expensive cheap mare.
Report RipVanWinkle September 6, 2010 3:19 PM BST
PD we nearly every year use stallions coming into there first year with 2 year olds on the track. It is a big gamble but you can use them at reduced fees. It is something that we dont want to do but its where we're getting the best value for money. It happened with Iffraaj this year and Holy Roman Emperor, Iffraaj looks like it paid off but it looks like we made a bit of a mistake with HRE unless he produces the goods in the next year. Last year we used Shamardal again after using him the year before but that looks like it wasnt a bad choice now.

If your mare is good enough she''l look after whatever is going against the stallion
Report Prima Donna September 6, 2010 5:58 PM BST
Rip Van indeed you can get real value using sires facing their runners it is as you say a very big gamble and that is a good point about if your mare is good enough she will look after is going against the stallion,you must feel very happy with Iffraaj he has done well,we have used HRE a few times and like Oratorio are now wondering why Grindoubt we would use them again though,some of our mares are in the cheap bracket we are always looking for commercial stallions in their price range it is hard more so perhaps than the better mares who as a rule do look after themselves but we tend to use proven top sires with them the gamble is too much sometimes,Kodiac is a nice prospect I think with him could he of been sharper with another trainer John Dunlop is not imo the sort to train 2,y'olds.
Report potentialmillionaire September 6, 2010 8:35 PM BST
Well over to me then.

I shall add another very to the very big gamble if I may!

Given that the comfortable majority of stallions are no good it has always seemed like lunacy to use 3rd and 4th season sires to me. However I am coming round to it more as whilst moderate results prior to our sales efforts are a problem, that is probably partially offset by the fact that the trainers have not all had time to train a bad one yet. Trainers blinkers are I think our biggest hurdle and as largely a foal seller, I worry that an overall trainers prejudice is picked up by the pinhookers, which can leave me up the creek.

Whereas there may be a small but significant handful of trainers at the yearling sales who are yet to become totally put off by an indifferent sire so perhaps leaving the yearling vendor in with a chance.

I seem to have made a few ropey stallion choices recently, and for this reason and all the above, is it any wonder we all pile in 1st season!

As ever Prima Donna you've got me thinking, and Multiplex is certainly not the worst gamble. His 2yo gp win was on a disqualification was it not though, but I suppose Kodiac and Holy Roman this year are interesting comparisons as whilst HRE is slightly ahead and in my opinion has started respectably, there can be no doubt that public perception would not have put them anywhere near each other at the outset.
There is a ton of stamina on Multiplex - will it get in the way?

Also I suppose I am trying to avoid the really cheap end of the market, as the bloody vets, feed merchant, transporters, sales companies, diesel vendors etc etc just shaft you to the extent that playing cheap for small margins just seems too tough.

Sorry if that's an incoherent ramble - altzheimers I fear. . .Grin
Report Black Sam Bellamy September 6, 2010 8:43 PM BST
Multiplex's 3/4 brother (2YO colt by Dansili) is entered up this weekend.

It's a fairly week pedigree on the dam's side
Report potentialmillionaire September 6, 2010 8:55 PM BST
A grandson of Slightly Dangerous. mmm I think we've got different ideas on pedigrees B S B!!
Report Prima Donna September 6, 2010 9:08 PM BST
TBH Pot M,I did not know Multiplex got his GR win on a disqualification,its funny how the first season sire table works out in the end,HRE was thought of as a sure thing this year but imo has not set the world on fire he does need some class horses where are they?
Multiplex does have stamina being out of a S Heights mare is the thing I did not like but as its high class,and he does get great sorts the ones I've seen do move well,I have thought about poss' my mare as she goes well with Danehill he is so strong 100% Danehill I was very impressed with him,I remember thinking flying back home later that day 'why the hell did I not send blah blah to him'if I where you and you are prepared to take a chance I'd really give him some hard thinking as an alternative to Kodiac,all of your costs are going to be the same except you ferry trip however much you spend on stud fees,sometimes we can all spend a lot and get nothing or spend a little use your nouse and make a tidy profit.In a way we always feel more of a  sense of achievement with our cheapies when they come good both in the ring and on the track if done right they often do,anyone can send a hot mare to a top sire that's not hard great for the bank balance but really no skill.Anyway I shall have to bow out for a few days I'm flying to the states early tomorrow but shall be back this weekend.Happy
Report potentialmillionaire September 6, 2010 9:20 PM BST
Prima, Enjoy your family/make some money/have a good trip (delete as appopriate) !
Report Prima Donna September 6, 2010 9:41 PM BST
Well thank you Pot M,this trip is only business,but I will make some money/have a good trip,Cool
Report sageform September 9, 2010 4:44 PM BST
Ifraaj should have the first season title sewn up after Wootton Bassett today. Has the highest total of wins as well as some good prize money.
Report Prima Donna November 28, 2010 7:43 PM GMT
Kodiac pushed up to 6.5k next term,plenty of commercial breeders plan to use him next year and with some good mares.He is looking like he will make a great sire.
Report Prima Donna April 7, 2011 10:33 AM BST
Multiplex's runners to date (I know its far too early to really be critical)look moderate Plain they look big,reckon he will be great as a duel purpose sire in the long run.
Report potentialmillionaire April 7, 2011 11:39 AM BST
It's funny how one gets a feeling about a sire as soon as his 1st runners appear.

I'm not sure it's always totally correct though, it just feels like it is!

Tough for Multiplex though whichever way you look at it. With his damline and his size it wouldn't be that fair to expect anything too early really.

Well welcome to the cruise Multiplex, you'll find it's choppy out there. Cry
Report potentialmillionaire April 7, 2011 8:06 PM BST
Well I hope everyone backed it off the boards today. After the below comments, a sure fire winner Blush
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com