Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Prima Donna
01 Jul 10 21:34
| Topic/replies: 4,152 | Blogger: Prima Donna's blog
This was highlighted on last year.This stallion is not setting the world on fire,only 3 pattern winners to date his star runner Pollinator finished, a blank year interrupted stud career from the start,what's his future?I think its going to be almost impossible to make a come back from his position.
I wonder if he will be exported or sold to stand as a jump sire poss'to Ireland (I think he would have plenty of appeal)or could you see them hanging on for another year but set his fee at something like 4/5k and see if he gets some class winners,or relaunch his career from Highclere GrinWhat do you reckon has he got a future?
Pause Switch to Standard View Motivator what next?
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire July 1, 2010 10:18 PM BST
I'd want a big strong SOUND jumps mare for him. He is incredibly accident prone - back & tendon -and as a type, he is more flat to me.
I think Prima that they will hang on for another year as he had enjoyed some pretty swanky patrons so there is always a chance that his results could improve with a star.
Given how long they battled on with Dr Fong - well they won't sell just yet.
Comes under the heading of 'uphill struggle' though doesn't it!
Report Prima Donna July 2, 2010 7:24 AM BST
Well you have a point about wanting a big mare,when I looked at him at the Royal Stud a couple of years ago I was struck with how small he is,but Iv'e never thought of him as unsound.
Being by Montjeu he would hold appeal for the jump breeders as they now want a touch of class,but as a type and being out of a Gone West mare he is more 'flat'as you point out.
I think we can all hope to see something emerge from his crops,but I think if he was going to do it we would have seen some class already.
As for selling him your right about keeping going far too long with Dr.Fong,but I reckon J.Warren wont to make the same mistake this time around,he knows his value will only go down and being greedy will want his best return for himself, rather like when Motivator was retired.
Report zoozee July 2, 2010 10:07 AM BST
how much does it impact breeders when it looks as though a stallion throws up horses of poor temperament.

I can understand why they still go to Montjeu as he throws up brilliance as well as some temperament, but motivator seems to not deliver the brilliance to the dodgy head carriage.

I wouldn't want to use him as a NH sire ( if i had mares) as temperament is more important in that sphere than the flat, for racing obviously, rather than commercial  reasons.
Report Prima Donna July 2, 2010 12:47 PM BST
I don't know zoozee,his name has come up a few times as a future high class jump sire prospect,looking at his foals at the sales some do seem to have a bit of temperament but sometimes with that, brilliance is never far away its just if you can work with it,M.Bell obviously could,I do like him and have him down as a future broodmare sire.
One things for sure Motivator has a very hard job ahead of him form now on to remain on the map as a commercial stallion.John Warren and co' will be very aware of this,it would come as no surprise to read later this year news that he has been sold,or if he can't make a full recovery he might 'fall'over again meeting with a tragic accident!
Report yer ma July 2, 2010 1:34 PM BST
Libelous (if maybe not implausible) stuff PD.  I've handled 3 Motivators, all had a few soundness issues and 2 of the 3 were mildly deranged.  Hardly a good sample but put me off for sure.  Lots of privileged share owners who wont give up readily unless he struggled again with his back I believe.
Report Prima Donna July 2, 2010 5:57 PM BST
yer ma     02 Jul 10 13:34 
Libelous (if maybe not implausible) stuff PD.

I don't mean that literately about him meeting with a tragic accident,it was said a bit tongue in cheek,I'm sure you know how the stallion world moves,I sure do, as you also know yer ma, money is never far from some peoples minds especially with a view to any stallion Motivator is no exception.Interesting about the soundness issues with the ones you had and temprements,I did see one filly in Left hand yard Dec 08' foal sale at Tatts,she was a little b'stard all the time the only way the people could get her into her box was backwards using water pistols.
I had no idea there were soundness issues with his stock,perhaps I will think again about him as a future broodmare sire,he might be like Rainbow Quest,a massive ingredient for unsoundness imo.
Report potentialmillionaire July 2, 2010 8:01 PM BST
PD I had no real reasons to refer to soundness issues with him on the racecourse, but he has had 2 major incidents since he went to stud - and by and large most horses don't find that job too injurous to their health!
Mind you since we raised the issue plenty seem to be running with it don't they.
I think I would like to work through his runners to foals and similar such figures before I allowed myself a definitive opinion.
You're a real Gone West man do I assume?
Report Prima Donna July 2, 2010 8:23 PM BST
I will have to be quick with my reply as we have some people here at the moment, but yes Pot M I am a Gone West man,let me explain tomorrow Grin
Report Prima Donna July 3, 2010 9:20 AM BST
Sorry Pot M,

Gone West is a very useful route to Mr.Pros'for all your Northern Dancer line mares,aside from Kingmambo Storm Cat and Seeking the Gold,of which all 3 have drawbacks some more than others, Gone West is about the most reliable route to Mr.P,for our racing.
I guess Motivator has had some real quality mares if he is a flop then I'm sure you would pick up a well bred filly for not too much, and Motivator is very racy so his daughters may at least get good lookers.
Report neill d July 3, 2010 4:58 PM BST
Somethaing happen to Pollenator, How do you mean finished Prima Donna? Re Motivator as a jumps stallion, was 1m2 possibly his best trip and as he was such a racy type, could he prosper in this area?
Report RipVanWinkle July 3, 2010 5:09 PM BST
Retired
Report Prima Donna July 3, 2010 5:45 PM BST
neill d,Motivator was best at 12f,the fact of the matter is today breeders want faster sorts, hence why horses like Motivator are run  over shorter trips to try and convince breeders he really does have the so desired speed,yes he is racy so you may have a point,but a staying GR1 stallion by Montjeu will have appeal for jumpers,only time will tell but I could see him getting fast early hurdle winners along with bumper types, always plenty of money for those types.
Report neill d July 3, 2010 6:08 PM BST
Ya I was probably thinking in terms of GC winnersLaugh, thinking about it, I could see him getting wippity hurdlers, Presume the filly was retired due to injury. Fair cop he won his derby but I remember Bell saying they thought hard about running him in the Guineas a la St Nick, He's actually alot like St Nick in terms of physique from what I could see on television
Report Prima Donna July 3, 2010 6:25 PM BST
I think you are right neill d,I reckon the theory about Motivator being a GNS horse is down to marketing him for his next job,which is why he ran over 10f after his Derby victory.
St.Nicholas Abbey as you point out is very much the same,only he did run in the 2000 off the back of what he had shown at home coupled with his RPT win which was very impressive,but from what we can guess at the moment Motivator is the better of the two,I'm not sure but I think SNA may yet come back probably over 10f then going on for the big one over 12f in Oct'[;)]we shall have to see.
Report jan_vermeer July 3, 2010 10:39 PM BST
looking forward to seeing sna back on the track,does anyone know exactly whats wrong with him at the moment?im sure his main target will be the arc,with a prep before hand
Report Prima Donna July 4, 2010 11:03 PM BST
The power of the Betfair forum. No sooner do we start asking questions about Motivator then a press release comes from the Royal Bloodstock Advisor Sir John (oops sorry, not quite yet) to assure us of his well-being and the expected resumptions of covering duties in Feb. C'mon John, whats your username?!Laugh
Report potentialmillionaire July 5, 2010 2:28 PM BST
Hi Prima Donna,

I post under 'Pompouseejit'

Regards, J.W.
Report Prima Donna July 5, 2010 5:18 PM BST
LaughLaughLaughThat's Johnny!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com