Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Black Sam Bellamy
07 Jun 10 10:34
| Topic/replies: 311 | Blogger: Black Sam Bellamy's blog
..well maybe not, but the emergence of Sharmadal and Dubawi is at least seeing a slight **** in the powerbase. You can throw the upturn for King's Best in there as well. About time you might say given the investment.

You could of course argue that the passing of Danehill and the retirement of Sadlers Wells was always going to bring about a re-shuffle of sorts, although Danehill Dancer and Galileo/Montjeu are hardly underperforming.

Will Coolmore be concerned do you think ?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 15
By:
push
When: 07 Jun 10 12:32
Are Coolemore investing in the Aus sons of Danehill ? Maybe that is where they expect to get some good young stallions from.
By:
Prima Donna
When: 07 Jun 10 12:40
Thats a good point,Everyone accepts the best sire line is Danehill in terms of sales and racecourse success, but as has been said many times its going to end up in a tight corner with so much of him,bringing over some Aus'Danehill horses and standing them here gives us a chance to stay with the best sire line but also to get a slightly outcross horse to use.We all like to say we want to use outcross stallions but when we make our choices,most commercial breeders stick with it for obvious reasons.
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 07 Jun 10 13:59
You don't get to Coolmore's position without being concerned, about everything. The trick is not to panic or make too many changes for the sake of it. It's not broke after all.
By:
Prima Donna
When: 07 Jun 10 14:08
Thats a good point PotM,I'm sure they will as always keep their eye on things but as you say not to panic or make swift changes,both Sharmadal and Dubawi look great prospects for now so we like everyone will keep a close eye on their developments this year.
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 07 Jun 10 14:14
Although, just to contradict myself, which I'm good at. I wish they could find time to throw their weight behind a few more outcross stallions. It would give us all a bit more confidence to have a go and see where we end up. Martino Alonso, Mutathir, Big Bad Bob, Big Shuffle, Canford Cliffs, would they all fail or have failed to build a much improved career with the help of Coolmore's fanbase? Darley are to be much applauded for giving these types a shot. I know I know, Coolmore have had Dr Devious mega such failures but Danzig has dumped them in it too, often!
By:
RipVanWinkle
When: 07 Jun 10 14:53
The thing with Shamardal and Dubawi is are they going to improve there mares. Most of the time the best mares a stallion is going to get will be in his first year at stud i presume that was the case with the two mentioned. That crop are now 3 and have done excellent but the next two years for both of them will be tough as the quality of mares probably declined for them and the good mares probably went back to them again THIS year or NEXT year so the good crops would be along again in 3 years time. But if there 2 year olds do well this year and next and the yearlings from this year do well it will show that they are top notch stallions.

Oratorio had a great year last year but have his progeny progressed like he did there is no evidence to show that and i dont think he started to brightly this year with 2 year olds although his 2 year olds should get better in the Autumn like he did.
By:
Equimine.co.uk
When: 07 Jun 10 15:25
The positions of Darley, Coolmore, and I will include Juddmonte, are interesting and complex from a business perspective, as are most conglomerates, which is commercially what they are.
If you looked at all three operations on business lines, (I believe that Coolmore is the only true commercial operation), they are almost the reverse of traditional practices.
Most observers would believe that in the “usual business chain” the Stud operation would be “Research & Development, the “Auction/Sales Ring” would be the “Sales and Marketing Operation” and the “Racecourse” would be the end product, or say a “demonstrator” if you were a , for instance, car sales franchise.
In my opinion (getting ready to be shot down in flames) where racehorses and breeding are concerned the reverse is true. In fact, the “Racecourse” is “R &D”; the end product is “the Stud”.
To use Rip Van Winkle as an example, he is part of the Galileo R&D team, and that department needs a few things looking at. Some of their competitors can now  use parts of the Galileo R&D department technology as the patent has expired. We are looking at RVW as an indicator of the solidity and long life of the car, say a Volvo, in a way we did not look at much before. However, we must not forget we still try selling to the “rich boy racer” and the “market traders”, and sales there are a bit exposed to the competition. Therefore, we have invested heavily in demonstrators, and sold some stock, we have Eskimo, and Jackaroo as the initial part of a swath of demonstrators coming out now for the Galileo R&D team.
I would venture to suggest the Darley R&D department (their demonstrator team) is outperforming Coolmore’s R&D department at present. This has a good chance of getting through to their “Sales and Marketing Operation”, but will their actual “Sales Team”, otherwise known as “The Stud” consistently sell the right product, the Stud’s Stallions to the right customer?
So far, they have often been the weak link in the chain, in comparison it is appears Coolmore’s strength.

I hope that makes sense, it does to me anyway.Grin
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 07 Jun 10 18:54
streuth! I shall re-read (again & again) and then I'll get back to you!
By:
Prima Donna
When: 07 Jun 10 19:06
LaughLaughLaughPotM
By:
mark wilsons a legend
When: 07 Jun 10 19:55
ole
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 07 Jun 10 20:41
Rip, how right you are. When a stallion starts so well it can really get stuck in a boom and bust cycle after covering all his best mares in year 1. Unless of course they are truly prepotent (I.S. D.D. P. say) Another arguement for smaller books, so their mare 'riches' are spread over the 1st FEW books not just yr 1.
Equimine, I'm going to crack it, honest...
Prima, feel free to have a goMischief
By:
Prima Donna
When: 07 Jun 10 21:07
Prima, feel free to have a go.

Pot M, I'm not having a go,I thought your reply was funny that's all.(one thing I have learned you have to be very careful how you say things on these forums,plenty of posters get very offended)Sorry if you misunderstood what I meant.
By:
potentialmillionaire
When: 07 Jun 10 22:11
No, I meant please free to have a go at replying to Equimine!!! I'm still strugglingLaugh
By:
push
When: 07 Jun 10 22:29
I want a Ferrari not a Volvo.
By:
Prima Donna
When: 07 Jun 10 22:45
Push,was that comment meant for your car dealer?
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com