Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sonicanthem
31 May 10 23:35
| Topic/replies: 252 | Blogger: sonicanthem's blog
Maybe it has escaped me but i can't remember any top class Chesnut Nh horses, has anyone got any stats on this?
Pause Switch to Standard View National Hunt Chesnuts
Show More
Report jan_vermeer May 31, 2010 11:50 PM BST
weapons amnesty
Report ben10 May 31, 2010 11:54 PM BST
Denman?
Report ben10 May 31, 2010 11:55 PM BST
I think I know what you mean, more like Ashley Brook yeah?
Report jan_vermeer May 31, 2010 11:55 PM BST
denman is hardly a chestnut????
Report ben10 May 31, 2010 11:56 PM BST
Denman (IRE)

* 10-y-o (17Apr00 ch g)
Report jan_vermeer May 31, 2010 11:58 PM BST
yes i noticed they have him down as chestnut,but he clearly is'nt
Report ben10 June 1, 2010 12:01 AM BST
Fair point, it's based on when they're born so he probably is technically and since it's a breeding question I assume SA was looking into bloodlines.
Report ben10 June 1, 2010 12:05 AM BST
Well Chief and Crack Away Jack are two more I can think of
Report sageform June 1, 2010 7:17 AM BST
Denman is definitely a Chestnut. Darker ones like him are called Liver Chestnuts. Dr Leunt was another pretty good chestnut chaser and going back a while, so were Flyingbolt and Salmon Spray.
Report sageform June 1, 2010 7:20 AM BST
Jan, you need to look up the definitions of horse colour. Bay and Brown horses have black manes and tails, greys have grey tails and chestnuts have brown tails.
Report Prima Donna June 1, 2010 8:15 AM BST
Does anyone remember Celtic Cone from the early 70s,I remember him falling at the last then getting up to win I think it was the Players No6 hurdle final,a very tough little horse who later went on to be a very good jump stallion.He was also a good stayer on the flat 2nd in the Ascot Gold Cup.
Report Prima Donna June 1, 2010 10:10 AM BST
^^^^^^ He was the darkest liver chestnut I've ever seen the shade of an old penny coin.
Report neill d June 1, 2010 1:56 PM BST
Straw Bear
Report blackbarn June 1, 2010 2:56 PM BST
National winner Red Marauder was a chestnut under all that mud.
Report potentialmillionaire June 1, 2010 4:57 PM BST
Nortons Coin, Noddys Ryde, Tingle Creek, Badsworth Boy, Bobsline, Barrowline, Cocaine, Ryde Again, Golden Cygnet, Bregawn, Morley Street, but no I don't quite remember Celtic Cone running but I do remember him at stud, quite an unlikely sire wasn't he (I don't think he'd get a look in today!)
Report Prima Donna June 1, 2010 5:43 PM BST
I don't know if he would,but I do remember him at the H in T sale at tatts,And what may surprise you is who was there to buy him and if they got their hands on him he would of been CH sire many times,as it was he stayed in England but did really well and never covered large books, but was always in the mix for the sires title,Deep Run always held him but look in comparison at the size of that stallions books.
IMO he was one of those very rare horses who had a real will to win he was a very tough horse.His trainer told me that when he trained him for the Ascot Gold Cup,he had not got a horse fast enough for him to work with over the trip so he had a relay of sprinters in place to jump in every 5 furlongs to keep the work going when they finished the piece of work Celtic Cone both barrelled the last horse,that is what I call a very determined horse.
Report potentialmillionaire June 1, 2010 6:13 PM BST
Interesting background and I love a horse that sticks it's neck out. It's always interesting to try and guess just how much that mental toughness adds to the mix - plenty in my opinion. After all brilliance is hard to find and for the rest of us, human or equine, graft is what we've got to go to war with.
Report Blooter! June 1, 2010 11:51 PM BST
Flyingbolt, arguably 2nd top rated chaser ever, was a chestnut.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com