Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
GRIZLY
31 Mar 10 15:15
| Topic/replies: 804 | Blogger: GRIZLY's blog
i think he will have a great season in europe this year with his classic crop
what do you think :) ?
Pause Switch to Standard View high chaparral
Show More
Report mightymoyes March 31, 2010 4:21 PM BST
cant think of any potential classic winners from him off hand.
Report Prima Donna March 31, 2010 4:38 PM BST
I cant see him doing any more this year than he's already shown,but I can see him doing better in a year or two I guess his book this year will be better,so plenty to look forward to.He's almost a forgotten Derby winner at Coolmore but that should now change.
Report zoozee March 31, 2010 4:40 PM BST
does he get a fair share of goats though ?
Report Prima Donna March 31, 2010 5:11 PM BST
zoozee,If you mean dreg mares then yes im sure he's had plenty of those, but now as ive said above his book should be better.
Report GRIZLY March 31, 2010 5:22 PM BST
he has already 3 gr1 winner in australia
Report RipVanWinkle March 31, 2010 6:53 PM BST
GRIZLY 31 Mar 16:22
he has already 3 gr1 winner in australia

You cant compare racing in Europe to racing in Australia i think you are blinded by Coolmore brilliant marketing.I am a fan of High Chap and we have a mare going to him this year so hopefully the result of that mating can be classed in what PD says will be his better crops
Report GRIZLY March 31, 2010 7:28 PM BST
good luck rip :)
Report jmc27 March 31, 2010 9:57 PM BST

RipVanWinkle 31 Mar 18:53

You cant compare racing in Europe to racing in Australia

Exactly the have decent prize money, are self sufficient, have a few race days were over 100,000 turn up to watch and it aint**ped dry by bookmakers :p
Report Chuckster 79 April 7, 2010 9:16 PM BST
what about Noll Wallop. Won the Gp 3 guineas trial last week in Ireland. Expected to be better over further - will go for Irish guineas then Irish derby
Report push April 7, 2010 9:19 PM BST
I think Lady Darshaan has a great chance in the Guineas and is way over priced at 40-1.
Report greigoir April 7, 2010 9:27 PM BST
what about high chap as a national hunt stallion. he covered nh mares last year.
Report push April 7, 2010 9:30 PM BST
Australian sprinters seem better than ours !
Report greigoir April 7, 2010 9:33 PM BST
next year could be the oppisite. look at irish bred v french. irish cleaned up in chelthenham
Report Prima Donna April 7, 2010 9:41 PM BST
greigoir 07 Apr 21:27
what about high chap as a national hunt stallion. he covered nh mares last year

Couldn't possibly comment! on the prospect of a Coolmore Derby winners potential as a jump sire.
Report notenough April 8, 2010 6:56 AM BST
prima donna..

He's hardly forgotten...the only sire on their roster to have his covering fee raised this year.
Report Prima Donna April 8, 2010 7:19 AM BST
notenough,I mean that he is very much in the shadow of the other two Derby winners ie Montjeu and Galileo,in terms of his quality of mares,I dont think his books will ever be of the quality of those two but I reckon now his books will improve.
Just one more point,he never got the promotion the other two got and in a way very much played 3rd fiddle hence the fee drop and not that I knew he seems to have covered some jump mares,thats Coolmore keeping all options open with a hores like him.
Report Giant Strides April 8, 2010 8:48 AM BST
One of his best 2yo`s is out today.
Joanna takes on Special Duty in the Gr3 Prix Imprudence at Maisons- Laffitte.
Report Prima Donna April 8, 2010 2:14 PM BST
^^^ Well done!
Report GRIZLY April 8, 2010 4:41 PM BST
NEEDS A classic winner to attract the good ladies
Report push April 8, 2010 5:11 PM BST
Seems to be doing well with his fillies.
Report The Big O April 12, 2010 3:22 AM BST
Sired the Tirfecta in the Australian Derby on Saturday.

Sensational result for High Chap.
Report Giant Strides April 12, 2010 11:27 AM BST
http://www.racingpost.com/news/bloodstock/shoot-out-monaco-consul-descarado-coolmore-stud-australian-group-1-trifecta-for-high-chaparral/701900/bloodstocknews/

Impressive!
Report jmc27 April 12, 2010 5:06 PM BST

Prima Donna 08 Apr 07:19
notenough,I mean that he is very much in the shadow of the other two Derby winners ie Montjeu and Galileo,in terms of his quality of mares,I dont think his books will ever be of the quality of those two but I reckon now his books will improve.
Just one more point,he never got the promotion the other two got and in a way very much played 3rd fiddle hence the fee drop and not that I knew he seems to have covered some jump mares,thats Coolmore keeping all options open with a hores like him.

I think this post sums it up. Its a shame as his top fillies seem like very good, strong race horses.
His race record is outstanding a dual BC winner should have been no problem to market.
15k last year could turn out to be a bargain if anyone took a risk with a good mare.
Report RipVanWinkle April 12, 2010 5:45 PM BST
We've covered mares with High Chap nearly every year he's being at stud nothing that has been great but hopefully something to come ;)
Report Prima Donna April 12, 2010 7:04 PM BST
Good luck with them Rip Van,hope it works out well.
Report RipVanWinkle April 12, 2010 9:07 PM BST
It would want to start working out soon as we've had about 5 foals by him and nothing worth talking about. have any of your 3 year olds ran yet PD
Report Prima Donna April 12, 2010 9:16 PM BST
Rip Van,Not yet with the runners but some will be out soon ;-) Rip Van with the high Chaparrals you have bred tell me whats the hind legs like overall?He never strikes me as having a great HL.
I do think he may improve from now on,a very good horse.
Report RipVanWinkle April 12, 2010 9:29 PM BST
The hind legs on the ones we had were sound ,very strong knees i must say but there canon was a small bit light i dont think it mattered to them they just werent race horses.
Report Prima Donna April 12, 2010 9:56 PM BST
How important do you think bone is on foals?do iyo think it improves from foal to 1YR? The Rock is light of bone but it never stopped him,if your High Chap's were a touch LOB do you feed them anything in particular to try to grow more?
Report potentialmillionaire April 12, 2010 10:27 PM BST
Prima, surely if your breeding programme works then you trust your system and don't tinker with something like feed. I think bone can come and go a bit throughout a foals development, but I feel the winners I breed suggest that genes are responsible for the fine detail as long as I keep shovelling in at one end and shovelling out at the other!
Report RipVanWinkle April 12, 2010 10:53 PM BST
They dont get anything specila are turned out as foals and fed out they come in when it is cold and thats about all thats done with them. The Rock i agree is light but High Chaps shouldn't be as he is by SW who usually throws strong well made progeny
Report Prima Donna April 12, 2010 11:13 PM BST
potentialmillionaire 12 Apr 22:27
Prima, surely if your breeding programme works then you trust your system and don't tinker with something like feed

Yes I agree but this game is one thing that you can never know enough about, you are learning all the time.I'm just interested in any ideas that other breeders may have thats all.
Report GT April 12, 2010 11:47 PM BST
Report push April 20, 2010 8:12 PM BST
HCs stud price is Aus is up to £53,000 in Europe it is 15000 euros. Bit of a difference.
Report potentialmillionaire April 20, 2010 8:49 PM BST
That's why we keep being hooked with this game. Who would've thought a Darshaan stamped Sadlers horse would do down under what he has! Just when we think we've learned a bit about the game that hits us from leftfield!
Report RipVanWinkle April 20, 2010 9:50 PM BST
I like High Chap but that price is crazy i would prfer to take a chance on a horse like Henrythenavigator or Dylan Thomas as they are the future and when they produce a top horse there fee will increase like High Chap which is pretty obvious. A horse that i believe is great value is Aussie Rules i'd hope he'll get a fair chance at stud
Report Black Sam Bellamy April 23, 2010 7:20 PM BST
RipVanWinkle - are you baulking at High Chap's Irish covering fee or his Australian ? I think both are pretty reasonable when you look at what he's doing in both hemispheres.

He's one of the hottest stallions down under at the moment with the likes of Shoot Out, Monaco Consul and So You Think.
Report RipVanWinkle April 23, 2010 7:24 PM BST
His fee in Ireland is very reasonable but his fee down under is far to high
Report push April 23, 2010 9:21 PM BST
Did,nt Danehill do alot better in Aus than in Europe for quite a few years ?
Report push April 23, 2010 9:23 PM BST
Thats in his early stud career, not sure if Danehill only started to do well in Europe when Coolmore started supporting him ?
Report potentialmillionaire April 23, 2010 10:12 PM BST
Danehill benefitted from reflected down under glory and he also got reasonable results over here despite not being flavour of the month when he first took those fascinating knees to stud! His success was very much helped by better mares, that seems to be how he became a superstar. His offspring often followed his mates distance propensity so I suppose you would say he wasn't as prepotent as some - but hey, who's counting!
Report vinnie_roe April 27, 2010 8:14 PM BST
He must be the best value sire in Ireland with his fee four times cheaper then down under.
Last year he had a full book of mares (175) in Australia, and they could have filled the book three times over. Covering mares from a classy mile sire would be very interesting.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com