Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tudor minstrel
09 Mar 10 22:04
| Topic/replies: 19 | Blogger: tudor minstrel's blog
Two weeks to the first 2-y-0 race of the season so lets start a heated debate! which first season sires are going to hit the ground running ?
Pause Switch to Standard View Come on only two weeks to go LETS...
Show More
Report History Maker March 10, 2010 12:47 AM GMT
Mmmmm.

I'm first going to register my disgust at the continual obsession with first season sires and the damage that it does to the breed.

Next I'll berate the race planners whose fault it is that breeders are obsessed with getting '2yo types'.

I'll toy with whether or not your question is worth asking for the next week or so... I'll probably put pragmatism before principle and throw my hat into the ring with a few names - mainly because this forum needs resurrecting. Trouble is, Cheltenham takes priority for the mo, so for the next few days you'll get nada.
Report tudor minstrel March 10, 2010 9:09 PM GMT
Looks as if ur right History, all focus on Cheltenham and the Emperors new cloths, Oh look hes stark b......
Report ben10 March 10, 2010 9:18 PM GMT
Anyone know if Holy Roman Emperor got the mares (or some) that George Washington failed to cover?
Report abradburystar March 11, 2010 12:57 PM GMT
ben10

Glad this thread is going again. Do you know where I can find the foal crops for 2008?
Report Stormbird March 11, 2010 5:00 PM GMT
Aussie Rules.
Report ben10 March 11, 2010 5:03 PM GMT
I'm not sure, if I see them I'll post them up, someone else might be able to help...
Report tudor minstrel March 11, 2010 7:55 PM GMT
OK suggestion for champ first season sire , hows about Sleeping Indian?its the Indian Ridge sire line that i like so much ..
Report abradburystar March 12, 2010 4:58 PM GMT
Ben10

Thanx - I will let u know if I find them.
Report Prima Donna March 13, 2010 9:43 PM GMT
A couple of questions,1.Why do you want a heated debate?
2,Sleeping Indian as he did not run at 2,being by Indian Ridge out of a Sadlers Wells mare what is making you so sure this stallion is the sort to get precocious 2 y'olds?
One more question what is it about the Indian Ridge sire line that you like so much?
Report pimm March 14, 2010 7:31 PM GMT
cant wait till a week sat!
Report pimm March 14, 2010 7:36 PM GMT
ad volorem,holy roman emperer+diamond green,all will give you a run for the title!
Report pimm March 14, 2010 7:37 PM GMT
exuse my spelling!lol
Report Prima Donna March 14, 2010 8:34 PM GMT
Lets not then!
Report Eont March 15, 2010 2:21 PM GMT
Manduro in the market for first season sire.

That looks a licence to print money.
Report Prima Donna March 15, 2010 3:49 PM GMT
Manduro looks the sort who may get high class 3 y'olds I could see him being commercial this year in the sale ring,but I for one cant really see him getting 2 y'olds Darley seem the sort to send he some stout mares so imo he wont make it,another Darley sire who I cant see him doing it is Iffraaj where are the 2,y'olds coming from with his pedigree?
Report hOOd March 15, 2010 7:02 PM GMT
what is Manduro doing on the list?
Report Prima Donna March 15, 2010 7:53 PM GMT
I dont know h00d,I was replying to the poster on about Manduro as his first runners are next year.
Report tudor minstrel March 15, 2010 9:48 PM GMT
Prima heated debate was a joke!wasnt it u that said this forum was dead?so lets get debating and why not first season sires on the eve of the flat?Indian Ridge has been a fabulous outcross stallion for ND mares and who knows maybe the Indian a product of just that can keep his sires name to the fore.
Report Prima Donna March 16, 2010 3:03 AM GMT
Tudor,yes I did say the forum was dead and I still think it is to a point,
When I look at Sleeping Indian I can see he does look the sort to be early but the fact remains that he was not and I can see nothing in his pedigree that says he will get 2,y'olds,but thats only my opinion,as I said to you a few weeks ago he has about 90ish on the ground so hes in with a shout.
A few that I will keep my eye on are Diamond Green,Holy Roman Emperor,Iceman,Kodiac and Majestic Missile.Byron is another he will have a chance but standing with Darley and covering some good mares but also a load of rubbish he may not do as well as you might expect him to.
Report Eont March 16, 2010 7:19 AM GMT
Manduro can be layed at 44 in the first season sire market for 2010. I beleive his first runners are not until 2011. If so has to be a licence to print money.
Report hOOd March 17, 2010 7:07 PM GMT
Manduro has now been removed from the market
Report Major Rumpus March 18, 2010 9:06 AM GMT
Aidan O Brien has 2 by Holy Roman Emperor entered in 1st 2yo race at Curragh. Im told hes likely to have a runner (used to farm this race including with Rock of Gib, but hasnt had a runner in recent years). Interesting to see if one of the Holy Romans represent him.
He strikes me as the sort to have early 2yos.
Report hOOd March 18, 2010 9:41 AM GMT
Tommy Stack has a HRE entered too

Also there's an Ivan Denisovich with Condon and a Majestic Missile with Dascombe
Report Equimine.co.uk March 18, 2010 10:25 AM GMT
Of the three HRE's. Stack's High Award is out of the Irish 1000G winner Tarascon. She has yet to produce anything of quality, has been covered by more stoutly bred sires to date.

Petronius Maximus is a half brother to GeorgeBernardShaw, Third Set and Bonus. Looks likely to want further and possibly time.

Emperor Hadrian probably has the weakest, but fastest pedigree. Out of Gilded Edge whose only other raced progeny I can see is still a maiden. She won on her second start at two over 6 furlongs.
Report Equimine.co.uk March 21, 2010 4:33 PM GMT
That should please Coolmore operations.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses.
Report sageform March 24, 2010 8:24 AM GMT
Its about time that the British and Irish results were separated as Coolmore can promote their stallions by cleaning up the Irish races. No one breeding operation can dominate in GB. I have never understood this nonsense about combining sire data but separating Jockeys and trainers. The NH jockey title woulds be really interesting if they combined GB and Ireland as the top 3 jockeys now ride in both countries.
Report GRIZLY March 24, 2010 8:53 AM GMT
sageform do you mean that irish races are poor ? :)
Report sageform March 25, 2010 7:37 AM GMT
No grizzly, they are pretty high standard on the whole but there are far fewer sires with runners in Ireland which skews the data in my view.
Report redal2 March 27, 2010 3:13 PM GMT
Sleeping Indian off the mark at Kempton
Report Rowley Mile March 28, 2010 7:38 PM BST
Anyone got an opinion on iceman as a sire of 2yo's ?

Was just looking to see around what date the Nell Gwyn is on next month and checked by searching the last horse i remember to win the race which was infallible in 2008. I noticed she has a 2yo half brother by iceman in training with SMS (Chilled).

Probably will make a name as a sire of 2yo's in my opinion and probably had good support of cheveley park mares. I notice his first runner was well backed in the brocklesby but didn't run too well.

Clive brittain has a 70k yealing entered in a maiden on wednesday by Iceman, probably nothing special but worth a watch
Report Prima Donna April 6, 2010 5:41 PM BST
Kodiac first winner today at Ffos Las, Hope he does well good luck to Tally-Ho.
Report Prima Donna May 27, 2010 8:43 PM BST
Aussie Rules get his name on the board with his first pattern winner in Dinkum Diamound for Henry Candy in the Listed National stakes at Sandown.
You can't beat the Danehill line stallions, arguabley the best sire of sires.Good luck to all breeders who used him this year.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com