Forums

Grand National

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Autocue
30 Nov 15 15:41
| Topic/replies: 1,160 | Blogger: Autocue's blog
I would love to see this horse prepared for the National. The Hennessy was a good guide last year and this year's race was a proper stamina test. After an awful start Theatre Guide was running on well at the end to secure second. He should remain well handicapped as Smad Place thumped him twelve lengths and I can see scope for improvement as I think his jumping suffered on the bad ground. On spring ground I'd back him to cope with the fences and the trip. He's already had a sighter in the Topham, jumping and travelling well enough over a trip shorter than ideal until a loose horse cut him up just as he was about to take off.
Pause Switch to Standard View Theatre Guide
Show More
Report BarryM December 5, 2015 10:24 AM GMT
You're right about the rating, the handicapper has left him on the same mark - don't think I can remember that happening when a horse comes second in the Hennessy. That's a mistake for me.
I agree he is well worth a try over a longer trip. Not sure about his jumping for Aintree, or the spring ground theory. I think he might be a bit better on soft ground, but maybe that's just because he needs a test of stamina. I had a bit EW on at Newbury. What about the Welsh Nat?
Report shockster December 8, 2015 9:17 AM GMT
Bottom weight to get in last year was 139, so will be touch and go whether he gets a run unless he runs elsewhere and goes up a few pounds.  Def has a sniff.
Report Autocue December 8, 2015 2:35 PM GMT
“We have left him in the Cheltenham Gold Cup. He is not at that level yet...”

Colin Tizzard speaking about Theatre Guide last season. Clearly the trainer thinks this horse has ability and while nobody would dream he's Gold Cup class now I'd certainly look forward to seeing him again off 139 in a staying handicap. I'd rather he ducked Chepstow to protect his chase mark before the GN weights are published but wouldn't presume to know better than the trainer.
Report Autocue January 12, 2016 5:00 PM GMT
Glad he ducked Chepstow. It would be an unusual National for such a slog in the mud to be a relevant trial.
Report The Dragon January 19, 2016 11:50 AM GMT
available at 50 but no quotes from a number of bookies
Report Autocue February 3, 2016 1:25 PM GMT
That's that then. Idiotic that it's not entered. Probably down to the owner.
Report dunlaying February 3, 2016 2:13 PM GMT
I backed three and not one has been entered! Theatre Guide being one that I thought was sure to have a crack.
All grist to the mill.
Report Autocue February 24, 2016 8:28 PM GMT
Runs on Saturday. Surely there's a big race in him off this mark. Really thought the GN would have been right up his street as he was taken off his feet. Not convinced he wants a sharp 3m round Kempton nowadays but win or lose would still back him in the Cheltenham handicap.
Report dunlaying February 25, 2016 9:59 AM GMT
With hindsight it seems that connections were right not to enter him as he would have small chance of getting in off of 139.
I have backed him for Saturday's race at 16/1 .
Report Autocue February 25, 2016 6:33 PM GMT
True as things stand dunlaying, but if GN had been the plan there was plenty of time to get a run in between the Hennessy and the weights luncheon to get him up a few pounds and he was going to run in the WN until the owner died so he was ready to run if needs be. Also, if Phil Smith had got a voucher with his name on he'd have given him another three pounds along with his pet horses like Pineau de Re.  Not that it makes a scrap of difference now. With my ante-post bets this year I'll have to change my name to dunbacking.
Likewise I've backed him at 16 and also 14 for Kempton but not with great confidence and it's really just an attempt at ante-post stakes recovery. The trainer rates his chance and I hope from that his schooling has been going better because he and Paddy haven't been gelling on that front this season. I think Kempton might put too much emphasis on jumping at speed but as I said earlier in the thread the better ground may help him in that respect. Win or lose I'll fancy him more in the Cheltenham handicap and for what it's worth I think his mark is good enough to take in both should he go up after Kempton.
Report Otis February 27, 2016 3:52 PM GMT
Just wanted to thank OP and others for pointing Theatre guide out!

Realised he was seriously well in from the Hennesey and couldn't believe didn't get penalised again after cheltenham and remained on 139...

Had a good bet today and it started from this post... so cheers!
Report Autocue February 27, 2016 4:32 PM GMT
I can't abide aftertimers.
Well done with your bet (posted before the race) dunlaying.
Report Autocue March 2, 2016 10:34 AM GMT
Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of backing him for the Kim Muir at Cheltenham. He's a certain non-runner as he has a mark of 150 and it's capped at 145. Anyone mad enough to have backed him for that race has done their money. Ladbrokes have him at 8/1 Angry
Report traveltips March 4, 2016 8:13 PM GMT
Could still run off 12st 3lb
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com