Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bongo
06 Jan 13 12:03
| Topic/replies: 3,752 | Blogger: bongo's blog
Who would have thought that in a country which claims to be a member of various free trade associations that it was possible to be a garlic smuggler?
A crime which is only possible in the first place because there is no import tarriff on ginger but there is on garlic.

http://rnn.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/Press-Releases/Garlic-smuggler-sentenced-to-six-years-684b0.aspx

This quote almost made me spew by cuppa:
"These rules are designed to protect legitimate businesses from unfair competition."

Well I've got a suggestion - take the fecking rules away. The courts and enforcement agencies must surely have better work to do.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Garlic smuggling: an effect of EU...
Show More
Report Mexico January 6, 2013 12:09 PM GMT
The EU have never claimed that you can import what ever you want from outside the EU without paying tax.
Report bongo January 6, 2013 1:43 PM GMT
Sounds like your saying Mexico that the EU is at least an honest organisation - free trade within the Zone - but a complex set of rules regarding trade with non-EU countries applies involving tarriffs on garlic but not on ginger, and no doubt all sorts of similar weirdness for other products.
Report Mexico January 6, 2013 1:52 PM GMT
Yep (sort of) bongo.

Agriculture in the EU has a fair amount of protectionism through tariffs & spending tax payers money to subsidize production unhealthy food. It results in many thousands of deaths each year.

Seems strange that ginger does not have a tax but garlic does - my guess (can't be asked to look it up) would be that French farmers produce Garlic but not ginger.
Report moisok January 6, 2013 2:00 PM GMT
Oh mexico  - don't go saying that

you will have northern on here calling you a jackbooted nazi racist ha ha!!!

I once grew garlic successfully when I lived in the south west - nice mild climate (walled garden)  it did quite well but not as well as some of that lovely french garlic
Report Ski-Wiz January 6, 2013 2:43 PM GMT
The EU and politicians go on about free-trade, free-market................however none of them understand free-trade or market.
In order to have free-market economy there should be no taxes on import. Companies should not be paying maternity leave, holiday pay, etc.
Report Ski-Wiz January 6, 2013 2:45 PM GMT
I read the above case a few days ago........how is it that they can stop ginger import but not the 'human import'
Report Mexico January 6, 2013 2:47 PM GMT
Ski - The EU don't claim to be a worldwide free-trade organisation.
Report bongo January 6, 2013 4:36 PM GMT
There was a stripped-down computer developed in the UK a couple of years ago, the name escapes me. It was meant to be educational, to allow someone to understand chip-sets, machine code and the language of an operating system better. It turned out that to manufacture the whole thing to completion in Far East meant low tariffs, but to import some of the components and complete the process here meant the tariff was higher.

I've found out that ginger doesn't grow outdoors in the EU, it's just not hot and moist enough. However some strains will grow under glass - so anyone innovating, trying this commercially, and getting decent results, has to compete against imports with no tariff. But grow some garlic and the EU will give you an advantage over the Asian agri-person. 

The world is mad.
Report Mexico January 6, 2013 4:54 PM GMT
Yep pretty much Bongo,

But grow some garlic and the EU will give you an advantage over the Asian agri-person. 

That is what CAP is about. 50% of Nobel Peace Prize winners EU budget spent on agriculture. People die each year as a result of this policy.

I'm sure if we could grow ginger in the EU there would be a tariff on that.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now