Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
geoff m
22 Mar 16 16:11
| Topic/replies: 13,565 | Blogger: geoff m's blog
Moaning he can only get a grand on.
Think yerself fookin lucky.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View John Fretwell
Show More
Report Percy Filth March 22, 2016 4:12 PM GMT
probably why he fretswell
Report dr . atkins March 22, 2016 4:13 PM GMT
very honest i thought told matt what a shower of sh1t these so called bookmakers are
Report Choniac March 22, 2016 4:15 PM GMT
Whatever the content of what he said, the platform it went out on could generate a bit of exposure.
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND March 22, 2016 4:17 PM GMT
In what way Choniac.
Report stewarts rise March 22, 2016 4:19 PM GMT
He's absolutely right, it's the owners that keep the whole show running and the pathetic so called bookmakers won't let them get a grand on, when they're paying £500 a week to keep the horse in training. To get a license they should have to take a bet at the advertised odds to at least a grand imo. I was laying 2/3/400 quid bets 35 years ago ffs!
Report dr . atkins March 22, 2016 4:21 PM GMT
yes people been trying for years to expose these shower of sh1t bookmakers who wont take a bet local mp don't want to know its about time custom and excise get involved with these fobots
Report geoff m March 22, 2016 4:21 PM GMT
Stewarts

To get a license they should have to take a bet at the advertised odds to at least a grand imo.

They did . Laid him a grand. instead of £2.5k
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND March 22, 2016 4:25 PM GMT
With all due respects guys and whilst agree with your sentiments'. If you knew an owner wanted a big bet on his
own horse would you lay it? If I knew who I was laying against on here, and a real shrewdie asked to have a bet
with me, as I knew who he was, I would send him to someone else on Betfair. Just a thought.
Report Whistlejacket March 22, 2016 4:26 PM GMT
I think that is the most 'spot on' assessment of the relationship between the bookmakers and horse racing as a whole (owners, trainers, punters, racecourses, racing's administrators) I have ever heard via any racing medium.

The journalists are too lily livered and cowardly to highlight the issue.  The racing Post will never ever expose the insidious grip the bookmakers have over racing - they always want to take everything out and put as little back as possible - because they are worried their advertising revenue will suffer!

Well done to Jon Fretwell and well done to Matt Chapman for letting him have his say.

How on earth that filthy bald vulture got his hands on the TOTE still rankles many till today!!!
Report TheFear March 22, 2016 4:28 PM GMT
I heard he was a big loser, so he must find it even more frustrating,,,
Report howard March 22, 2016 4:30 PM GMT
Good interview. I don't think they will repeat it. Don't entirely agree with him. Exchange betting not tote should be the way to go. More fun.
Report dr . atkins March 22, 2016 4:30 PM GMT
whats the point of buying a horse for a gamble mate horse run the other week at chelmsford on the night before it run it was 16t1 with 365 at 10am on the day it was 5t1 and he never got a dollar on horse got beat
Report stewarts rise March 22, 2016 4:34 PM GMT
ALIEN SEX FIEND Joined: 27 Feb 10
Replies: 3162 22 Mar 16 16:25 
With all due respects guys and whilst agree with your sentiments'. If you knew an owner wanted a big bet on his
own horse would you lay it? If I knew who I was laying against on here, and a real shrewdie asked to have a bet
with me, as I knew who he was, I would send him to someone else on Betfair. Just a thought.

That's what bookmakers are supposed to do, make a book, plenty of owners have done their bowlocks backing horses, look how this horse got backed into 6/4 on its 2nd run!
They take a decent bet on one horse and lengthen the odds on others to encourage people to back those, it's called making a book!
Mr Fretwell is spot on and good on him for saying it!
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND March 22, 2016 4:42 PM GMT
Stewart, as I said I agree with the sentiments', do they need to take these. In their opinion no.
Until such time a bookie comes along that will take such bets, we can put up or shut up.
This may seem harsh, however there is a reason they have accountants, its all about making money.
People will bleat about this today, tomorrow and the next day, they do not care.
And as some think, take their licence away...............who would step forward?
Report Whistlejacket March 22, 2016 4:55 PM GMT
Quite right Stewarts rise.  I concur with you perspective. 
With the advent of Betfair and exchange betting, it appears almost everyone seems to have forgotten the raison d'etre of what being a bookmaker is meant to be - Bookmakers make a book!  God knows the over-round on their books is enough to keep them in caviar, champagne and cashmere camel overcoats for months.  They are all run by a gaggle of bean counters these days and it is self evident that there isn't a bookmaker out there that is master of their brief - which explains why they never seem to take "a view" or are too frightened to take a view.  The norm is to either rely on the 5p that has been bet on the exchanges overnight or wait for Hugh Taylor to post a bet and the whole industry slashes the price within less than a minute!

I had to laugh till my sides ached, when the William Hill representative was being interviewed earlier on about the Good Friday card at Lingfield later on this week, and his was spouting the normal PR gibberish "so and so horse is the one the punters all want to back" - the point is they NEVER let the punter back any horse the punter wishes to back.  Bookmaking is now more of a PR and marketing machine designed to pick the pockets of the unsuspecting - hence you have all theses stupid offers they give out during major festival meetings.  The bookmakers are so brazen these days that they don't even to bother to pay out in cash, if a punter wins on any of their offers.  You get your winnings in the form of another "free bet" 
If I was the CEO of any bookmaking firm, my first act would be to sack the all the incumbent traders or price-makers, who evidently haven't got a clue about what they are being paid to do.
Report geoff m March 22, 2016 5:13 PM GMT
2 horse race priced up 10/11 each of 2 .
Punter A wants £1100 horse 1  Punter B wants horse £1100 horse 2 both restricted to £10 each that how stupid they are.
Report RBoyd86 March 22, 2016 5:20 PM GMT
i dont think they have one person who can make a book between them anymore.
Report DCI Barnaby March 22, 2016 5:23 PM GMT
bookmaking died in 2004
Report RBoyd86 March 22, 2016 5:25 PM GMT
used to no a lot of the old boys who where so knowledgable about the game and bookmaking as a practice. Used to love hearing all the old stories from them about how the game used to be etc etc I was like a sponge just took in all they had to say. Now i walk in a bookies and uve got some moron behind the counter that is totally clueless.
Report Racingqueen March 22, 2016 6:40 PM GMT
genuine question, whats the absolute maximum a punter of any level can take out of a books with one bet?
Report equine flew March 22, 2016 6:46 PM GMT

Mar 22, 2016 -- 11:25AM, ALIEN SEX FIEND wrote:

With all due respects guys and whilst agree with your sentiments'. If you knew an owner wanted a big bet on hisown horse would you lay it? If I knew who I was laying against on here, and a real shrewdie asked to have a betwith me, as I knew who he was, I would send him to someone else on Betfair. Just a thought.

Yes, I would, if by doing so I was allowed to install 4 FOBTs in my front room that took on average a £1000 each per week.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com