Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Journeyman
12 Dec 23 15:18
| Topic/replies: 8,861 | Blogger: Journeyman's blog
It seems inevitable that much of the tennis stories in early 2024 will centre around the ongoing unceratinty about Raducanu, Osaka, Anisimova and Krygios being involved competitively.

This is a simple challenge. Predict whether each will play at least 20 competitive tennis matches in 2024.
One point for each correct prediction.
Maximum score is 4 points but can anyone land the perfect score?
Deadline for guesses 1st of January 2024.

My predictions

Raducanu to play at least 20 competitive tennis matches in 2024?  (Yes or No)
No.

Osaka to play at least 20 competitive tennis matches in 2024?  (Yes or No)
No.

Anisimova to play at least 20 competitive tennis matches in 2024?  (Yes or No)
No.

Kyrgios to play at least 20 competitive tennis matches in 2024?  (Yes or No)
No.
Pause Switch to Standard View The 2024 Missing in Action stakes....
Show More
Report wisewords December 12, 2023 5:17 PM GMT
Yes Yes Yes Yes!!
Report Blencathra December 15, 2023 12:19 AM GMT
No , yes , yes , no
Report edy December 15, 2023 9:23 PM GMT
yes, yes, no, no.
Report edy December 15, 2023 10:09 PM GMT
I already answered, but is this singles and doubles btw.?
Report Journeyman December 15, 2023 10:40 PM GMT
Good point. Purely competitive singles matches.
Report brain dead jockeys December 18, 2023 2:17 AM GMT
yes yes no no

kyrgios has said in the past that the last thing he would watch is a tennis match. if thats the case, why would anyone employ him as a commentator........welcome to the new world, where nonsense get precedence over substance. in his interview with piers morgan he mentioned that he had reached the wimbledon final about ten times. he never even won a masters event. cant stand him.
Report SamuelMertensBertens December 30, 2023 10:33 PM GMT
Yes Yes Yes No!
Report Journeyman January 1, 2024 12:07 AM GMT
Entries now closed. The combination I now think will win (no, yes, no, no) hasn't been picked!
Report wisewords January 1, 2024 4:09 AM GMT
YES! YES! YES! YES!
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 1, 2024 10:55 AM GMT
you need Nick back quickly considering he doesn't play clay season and calls it a year after US Open. So not much room for him to get his 20 wins.
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 1, 2024 10:57 AM GMT
*matches.
Report Journeyman January 5, 2024 12:44 AM GMT
With three of our heroes bundled out in Round 2 of their respective tournaments I'll give a scoreboard update although going forward I think I'll just do an update at the end of each calendar month to keep it simple unless someone wins.

To answer a question edy asked in the megathread competitive singles matches played on other tours count (although I don't really see any of them willingly dropping down from the main tour anyway).

I liked caramba's '% loading' scoring format so will use that for updates.

Raducanu 10% loading
Osaka    10% loading
Amanda   10% loading
Kygios   Laugh
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 5, 2024 2:35 AM GMT
Excited
Report Journeyman January 21, 2024 1:54 PM GMT
It's not quite the end of January but I'll do the January update. Kyrgios certainly isn't on any imminent entry lists, he seems to have settled nicely into the commentators chair. The Guardian today pointing out while he salivated over the Rublev v Demon match 'Kyrgios is absolutely loving this contest.. some might say he’s showing greater enthusiasm for it than for some of his own matches' Grin

Amanda has had a positive experience here taking down two decent scalps. For the first time I can't believe I'm entertaining the possibility that she could make the 20 matches which would make Caramba and Blencathra the early favourites unless wise can get NK out of the warmth of the studio.

Raducanu 20% loading
Osaka 15% loading
Amanda 30% loading
Kyrgios 0% not loading
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 24, 2024 6:23 AM GMT
not really much news here (we already knew that his comeback is NB Wimbledon), but some thoughts from Nick Kyrgios.

I’m contemplating retirement and won’t be available for the Paris Olympics

Opinion

Nick Kyrgios
Professional tennis player
January 24, 2024 — 5.44am

I sat down with my agent, Stuart Duguid, a couple of days ago to talk about my future. The reality is, there is a part of me that knows my time in the sport may be over. And I’m OK with that.

It’s a conversation that needed to be had. I’m at a crossroads in my career and have reached a point where life after tennis is a prospect that excites me.

It’s why my manager brought it up. He said, “This could be you from now on if you want it to be.” I could travel the world making really good money commentating on the sport, doing things like I am now with my talk show interviewing guys like Gordon Ramsay and Mike Tyson.

That’s a life people wish they had. Even the players on the circuit would love to be doing what I am doing now, but they have a different way of thinking.

They don’t have the global reach that I do. Otherwise, they would be doing it too. Their entire world revolves around playing tennis, and that’s never been me.

Even over the past week being at Melbourne Park for the Australian Open, I’ve been happy. Of course, there’s a part of me watching on that would love nothing more than to be out there, especially after what I managed to do at Wimbledon 18 months ago in reaching the final against Novak Djokovic.

I sit there and watch some of the players on tour and know within myself that this generation is not as strong as some of the players I have gone up against.

I know I can be one of the best in the world and win major tournaments - if my body lets me. The fire still burns, but it’s not my everything.

It annoys me that there are people out there who think that I don’t want to be out there. It’s as if they think I don’t want to play and make excuses with my injuries.

It happened last year when I pulled out of the United Cup. I know that guys like Lleyton Hewitt and Alex de Minaur were disappointed in me for pulling out of the tournament two days before the event, but we’re 12 months on, and I still haven’t played.

It was that serious that I pulled out of my home grand slam in front of my friends and family.

I don’t know when I will be back. I’m hoping I can recover from the wrist injury that required surgery last year in time for Wimbledon and the US Open, but that’s no guarantee. My body may never be the same again and injuries can take you down a different path than you imagined.

One thing I will guarantee, though, is that if I am fit and ready to play, I won’t be making myself available for the Olympics.

The way I was treated by the Australian Olympic Committee and former chef de mission Kitty Chiller will never be forgotten.

To ban me from playing at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games was a disgrace. I was No.13 at the time and had a genuine chance at winning a medal. For them to forbid me from representing my country for behavioural reasons is something that I just can’t forget.

I won’t be putting my hand up to play in Paris this year. Eight years ago, I was desperate to represent Australia at an Olympic Games, but my mentality has changed.

I wanted to play for my country, I can’t say that I still have that desire. And let’s be honest, I haven’t exactly felt like Australia has wanted me to represent it either. I’ve said before, I often feel more at home away from home.

Some people are rejoicing in the fact that I’m not playing. I think the crowds and viewership at the Australian Open the past couple of years tell a different story.

Sport is entertainment and I like to think that I’ve put on a show. But the curtain has to close at some point.

Nick Kyrgios

article is here, but paywalled: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/i-m-contemplating-retirement-and-won-t-b...
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 24, 2024 6:23 AM GMT
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/i-m-contemplating-retirement-and-won-t-be-available-for-the-paris-olympics-20240123-p5ezdp.html
Report Journeyman January 24, 2024 1:03 PM GMT
Even the players on the circuit would love to be doing what I am doing now, but they have a different way of thinking.
They don’t have the global reach that I do. Otherwise, they would be doing it too.

How did you c&p that without smashing up your keyboard? Grin

Impressed that he managed to get to the sixth line before mentioning his Wimbledon final again tbf.
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 25, 2024 8:24 AM GMT
He wasn't telling lies. It's sadly a fact of life that jerks like him and Conor McGregor have great appeal to the masses.

Since this article, he has downplayed the retirement talk.
Report wisewords February 14, 2024 9:03 PM GMT
how am I doing??

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Report Journeyman February 15, 2024 1:45 PM GMT
Amanda's out of Indian wells. The unofficial 'fifth slam' and not exactly a lot of travel involved for her.
Maybe January was quite enough tennis excitement for one year.
Report SamuelMertensBertens February 15, 2024 5:14 PM GMT
some theories on her withdrawal in this thread.
https://twitter.com/melanie_lautrup/status/1757513068295115046
Report Journeyman February 25, 2024 1:09 PM GMT
Amanda doing Amanda things so I'll post February's update now.

Raducanu 35% loading gradually through beatings
Osaka 40% caution as launching her adult anime series
Amanda 30% not red alert yet but party season incoming
Kyrgios 0% but positive noises from team
Report Journeyman February 25, 2024 1:21 PM GMT
She's on the entry list for Miami and she's mentioned IW in an insta post but I can't see her on list.
So let's see what happens. If she swerves the whole of the sunshine double though I'm calling it at 30%.
Report edy February 25, 2024 5:21 PM GMT
As an elderly purist man that used to read manga and watch anime, I find it a bit peculiar that tennis.com is referring to that Allure thing as manga and anime with the author of the comic being from the USA, the comic having a mostly US comic art style from a quick google and Osaka's company being from Los Angeles.
Report wisewords February 25, 2024 6:50 PM GMT
YES! YES! YES! YES!
Report SamuelMertensBertens February 25, 2024 11:30 PM GMT

Feb 25, 2024 -- 5:21PM, edy wrote:

As an elderly purist man that used to read manga and watch anime, I find it a bit peculiar that tennis.com is referring to that Allure thing as manga and anime with the author of the comic being from the USA, the comic having a mostly US comic art style from a quick google and Osaka's company being from Los Angeles.

sounds like anime to me.

Report Journeyman March 14, 2024 9:58 PM GMT
Update - Amanda has just been given a WC for the Miami main draw (which obviously happened at IW and she never appeared).
Report wisewords March 14, 2024 11:51 PM GMT
let's go 'manda!
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 18, 2024 4:56 PM GMT
Amanda withdrew after all Sad
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 18, 2024 5:01 PM GMT
Despite this sad news, I must say this comp is lots of fun.
Report wisewords March 18, 2024 5:11 PM GMT
nooooooooooo
Report wisewords March 18, 2024 5:12 PM GMT
(we should do a version of this with different players every season)
Report Journeyman March 18, 2024 6:01 PM GMT
I agree. We'll need to be sure to pick the right players. These four obviously picked themselves and they haven't disappointed!
My one chance at victory depended on Osaka hitting clay season with a low win tally and other interests/distractions coinciding.

So I still have a chance (but I'm relying on Svitolina taking her down in the second round).
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 18, 2024 6:17 PM GMT
I'm very confident on Osaka yes. Results haven't been stellar, but ok enough (both for the purpose of his competition as a yes backer and her career) and her attitude has been better than expected.
There were lots of choices these year. On top of these four also Nadal who I was fairly sure would get past 20 but now it's up in the air. Brady another one, although she might be out for a long time, haven't heard anything. And Garbine, but that feels like an a certain no. Wozniacki if she fits the criteria. There will always be pregnant mothers coming back imo.
Report Journeyman March 18, 2024 6:52 PM GMT
Muguruza would have been a wash out as she's already ruled it out. Nadal would have been good yeah.

I can see either Naomi or Emma grinding to a halt at 85% or 90% (for very different reasons) but we shall see.
Report Journeyman March 22, 2024 10:46 PM GMT
This comp is about to get the turbo injection it has been waiting for.

Nick Kyrgios has announced Novak Djokovic as the next guest on his podcast and has got fans excited by teasing his ‘return to the court’. The Australian has played just one singles match since October 2022 after undergoing two knee surgeries and overcoming a torn knee ligament.
Kyrgios has scheduled his first tournament since recovering from his injury woes. The former Wimbledon finalist Cry will compete at the Ultimate Tennis Showdown (UTS) this summer.
Announcing Djokovic’s appearance, Kyrgios also appeared to confirm that he is nearing a return to the court. He wrote on X: “Next guest on Good Trouble - Novak Djokovic. Tennis footage - Tuesday next week! BACK ON COURT!
Report Journeyman March 22, 2024 10:47 PM GMT
Source the Express.
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 22, 2024 11:49 PM GMT
UTS LaughLaugh
Report wisewords March 22, 2024 11:59 PM GMT
Cool
Report Journeyman March 24, 2024 10:19 PM GMT
With Naomi going out in Miami I'll post the March update now.

Even for the three years when she was virtually unbeatable in Hard Court slams she didn't get past the third round at the French (or SW19) and so as we move into the clay season she should probably stay interested long enough to play the six matches required but there's always that tiny doubt.

Almost home and dry though.

Raducanu 50% loading
Osaka 70% loading
Amanda 30% no change since February update
Kyrgios 0% (but this week announced 'BACK ON COURT')
Report wisewords March 24, 2024 11:13 PM GMT
BACK ON COURT! YES! YES! YES! YES!
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 12, 2024 3:25 PM BST
Does BJK Cup count for the purpose of this?
Same question about the Olympics.
Report wisewords April 13, 2024 3:21 PM BST
YES! (hopefully!)
Report Journeyman April 17, 2024 9:15 PM BST
The main qualifying criteria is 'competitive singles matches' so yes to both.
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 18, 2024 10:59 AM BST
thanks for confirming.
Report Journeyman April 22, 2024 7:15 PM BST
Raducanu 75% loading
Osaka YES book closed
Amanda 40%. After dingying* the sunshine double she played a couple of matches at Charleston for the lolz

And Kyrgios?
Some important informatuion thrown away in the pointless wilderness of the megathread.
Retrieved and posted here.

edy • April 21, 2024 10:35 PM BST
Kyrgios posted a video of himself hitting a tennis ball. The comeback is nearing.
edy • April 21, 2024 10:35 PM BST
Posted it on his OnlyFans.

Naomi notched up a losing first round match and a BJK cup cameo to take her to 80%.
I'm going to assume that four more matches are inevitable so the first to go out in the inaugural Missing in Action stakes is me.

Note that your ultimate placing in the table is decided by the order in which you get knocked out, not bare points.

1 _________ (Inaugural champion)
2 _________
3 _________
4 _________
5 _________
6 JM

* Scots word. look it up.
Report Journeyman April 24, 2024 11:03 PM BST
I've just realised the above scoring system sucks becasue it favours yes pickers.
So just going back to the way it should be. ie Whoever gets 4 points (or the closest to it) wins.
Report wisewords April 25, 2024 5:19 PM BST
Mischief
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 9, 2024 3:14 PM BST
Amanda with WC and 1st round losses isn't gonna get it done Sad
Report wisewords May 9, 2024 6:08 PM BST
one little run at some hard court tournament and she'll be there
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 9, 2024 8:16 PM BST
that's true but it would help if she played some vulture events.
Report edy May 10, 2024 11:07 PM BST
Playing only the biggest events is exactly the right strategy imo.
Report Journeyman May 16, 2024 8:50 PM BST
edy • May 10, 2024 11:07 PM BST
Playing only the biggest events is exactly the right strategy imo.

Exactly the right strategy for you and braindeadjockeys to jointly win the inaugual MIA stakes.
This is the month when she finally chucked it last year. She's not entering events. The candle is flickering imo.
Report wisewords May 16, 2024 9:04 PM BST
YES! YES! YES! YES!
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 19, 2024 5:28 PM BST
John Horn @SportsHorn
Looks like Nick Kyrgios is aiming to return to tennis this year for the US hardcourt swing #ATP

not sure where he is getting his info, but he is a tennis commentator.
This doesn't give NK much room to play 20 matches, but will depend on how he does and how much he'll we willing to play post US Open, which in the past hasn't been much.
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 19, 2024 5:32 PM BST
For comparison, when Sloane came back in 2017, played her 1st match at Wimbledon and then her next one in Washington, she went on an insane run (Toronto SF, Cincy SF, USO win) and then played the Asian swing but didn't do well there she managed to get to 25 matches before the year was over.
Report Journeyman May 20, 2024 8:09 PM BST
Raducanu 90% loading
Osaka YES. Book closed
Amanda 50%.
Nick 0%

Emma binning off the French (I know she's only binned off the qualies but ...) leaves her tantalisingly close.
Anyone questioning her commitment to tennis will be reassured by her Guardian interview today.

"I met a group of HSBC trainees and it was fun seeing what they were doing," she explained. "In 15 years it will all be reversed and they will be super high up and I will just be starting. My parents were academic and they always led me down the finance route.
I am seeing the operations behind the scenes and something I would potentially want to do in the future.
A hundred per cent for me - life starts after tennis. I am actually looking forward to the next chapter , which is funny to say at this age.
But there are so many things I want to do in this life and I just don't have enough time
."

She's basically one laptop injury in the HSBC canteen away from decimating the field.
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 23, 2024 12:01 PM BST
Emma is 80%. Not that it is likely to matter. She would need to completely flop the grass season and give up on the whole season as a a result.
Report Journeyman May 23, 2024 8:36 PM BST
Thanks. I'd double counted the BJK cup matches.

I don't share your view that the four remaining competitive matches are in the bag. She hasn't played since having her backside handed to her a month ago by some Argentinian in Madrid, saying she's 'mentally and emotionally exhausted’ after 4 months of the year (after taking 8 months out).

She was one of the top earners on the planet for playing a grand total of seven matches last year so there's actually a threat to her brand if she's seen losing matches to mugs on very big stages.

As pointed out by the Daily Mail she hasn't confirmed her schedule for the grass season.
She's still doing her gruelling training sessions as well according to the Express.

I thought she was great in the BJK cup matches but turning up her nose at the qualies for a slam (when her whole life was changed by playing qualies in a slam) is very very eyecatching to me.
Report Journeyman May 23, 2024 8:38 PM BST
* I'm not calling carle a mug btw, I'm saying she doesn't want to be seen getting bad early shock losses in actual slams
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 23, 2024 8:42 PM BST
She has the Nottingham WC. She'll get one for Wimbledon and another grass one if she wants. She would need three losses and a sulky fit or another injury to not reach 20. I'm not arguing your point about her commitment though :)
Report Journeyman June 8, 2024 1:52 PM BST
While Roland Garros chunders on, Emma posted that she enjoyed her Dior shoot in Scotland. (The photos look great btw)

She has entered Wimbledon qualifying. Some interesting quotes from her recent Grazia interview which was brought to attention by the express.

'The more I think of it, the more I think I have a span of maybe ten years max where I have to go all out for it. Whereas my peers in their 20s, that’s when their careers just start to take off – in their 30s and 40s – then they can work until they retire. And with me, I’ve got to go all guns blazing. It’s like a 100m race for 10 years, then I can stop' .../... Raducanu is spending ten hours a day training for Wimbledon, going home to eat and sleep, only to wake up and do the same again. .../... How is she feeling about Wimbledon? ‘I feel good. I’m playing well and I’m training really hard, I’m doing a lot of good things and I know it’s going to happen. If not this Wimbledon, the next Wimbledon.’

source https://graziadaily.co.uk/celebrity/news/emma-raducanu-wimbledon/
Report Journeyman June 8, 2024 1:54 PM BST
Death, taxes and Raducanu in the gym.
Report SamuelMertensBertens June 8, 2024 2:34 PM BST
"then I can stop"

not really something someone who is passionate about tennis would say.
Report edy June 8, 2024 6:02 PM BST
Probably just fetishizes being in the gym. Just like the British in their anglican protestant tradition have a fetish for doing lots and lots and lots of work hours, but being somewhat inefficient in them. Should spend barely any official work hours like the Germans, but make those hours count.
Report Hayden June 9, 2024 12:10 PM BST
Raducanu's future forecast and expectations remind me of the Jo Durie long term ambitions   Grin
Report Journeyman June 13, 2024 8:04 PM BST
Ok. Amanda is scheduled to play Birmingham qualies and is four withdrawals off MD entry.

One way or another I think she has to trap here if she is going to get to 20.
Report edy June 15, 2024 12:17 AM BST
Doesn't she have summer break parties to attend ffs?
Report mesmerised June 17, 2024 6:57 AM BST
Emma's turned down a wildcard at the Olympics. Don't buy the whole 'change of surface putting stress on my body' excuse, she's not turning up because there's no prize money or ranking points, same reason why so many players in the past haven't turned up, gone down in my estimation that she doesn't want to represent her country and clearly doesn't value the Olympics.  Don't understand these players, I'd value the gold medal as much as a slam. Didn't deserve a wildcard anyway, Boulter qualified automatically so will be supporting her, at least she's earned her place.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com