Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SamuelMertensBertens
07 Nov 23 01:12
| Topic/replies: 280,897 | Blogger: SamuelMertensBertens's blog
Final week of the season for non-hipster girls. And for the guys, final stop of the season before the ATP finals.
Pause Switch to Standard View Tennis Talk 2023: Vol 38 (BJK Cup...
Show More
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 10, 2023 1:18 PM GMT
Simon Cambers @scambers73
·1h
Among the new rules in @nextgenfinals is one that could well come in on the @atptour soon.....
"Shot-Clock Reductions: A new maximum of eight seconds will be introduced between first and second serves. This also applies after a let on first or second serve."

Sad
Report Journeyman November 10, 2023 1:24 PM GMT
The Carota Boys movement is growing!
https://twitter.com/quindicizero/status/1722718905313923282

Cry
SOMEONE FETCH THE WEEDKILLER!

Really good win for Sabine beating lat week's finalist. Now plays Hovde who lost to Kerkhove last week.
Just a bunch of girls stuck in Canada playing each other in a perpetual loop.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 10, 2023 3:35 PM GMT
Yasmin Syed @yasminstefsyed
·1m
Andy Murray and Ivan Lendl have split for the third time.

Mark Hilton and Jonny O’Mara will share coaching duties for Andy.

Sad
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 10, 2023 3:35 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64&ab_channel=TaylorSwiftVEVO
Report Journeyman November 10, 2023 5:44 PM GMT
There's an article in the Guardian suggesting their interaction had become minimal anyway.

Despite everything Andy's achieved (and he's achieved a lot) I think one of the main reasons he carries on is the feeling of having been short changed. It's the flipside, the darker side of the endless dominance of Fed, Nadal and Novak.

When I was watching Grigor getting emotional after losing to Novak I think it was that same feeling of being short changed. Like really? I can't even have this? You've won three slams this year, I'm playing the best I've played in years and you can't even let me have the Paris Masters? REALLY???

Maybe the only one that doesn't feel short changed is Stan. I think he got exactly the best he could have hoped for. No complaints.
Report edy November 10, 2023 6:10 PM GMT
Are they trying to tell me interaction with an Ivan Lendl can be something other than minimal?
Report Journeyman November 10, 2023 8:11 PM GMT
I felt a bit sorry for Danilina. She was probably looking forward to playing some fun dead doubles rubbers and hanging with the big 'Kazakh' stars but then Rybakina can't recover from the horrors of Cancun, Danilina ends up having to step into the singles spotlight and obviously get humiliated.

She looked absolutely crushed in the Juvan match.
Report Journeyman November 10, 2023 11:06 PM GMT
I know everyone has been worrying about what Kyrgios is up to. The Express reported this week he's going to be a commentator for the finals in Turin on the Tennis Channel.

The new role suggests Kyrgios may be considering his next steps after recently revealing that he hasn't got much time left in the sport due to the worsening condition of his body after 'all the drinking and partying' he has done during his wild career. 'No f***ing chance. No way. Bro, there's no chance I'm playing until 33 / The schedule is out of control. I'm getting old, I'm getting old. Twenty-eight, yeah - but all the drinking and partying, I'm like 57 Laugh It's a lot of training, a lot of work, and I just want to be able to eat whatever I want, drink what I want to drink. It's a hard lifestyle. The dedication these guys show... I did a bit of that last year to show the world I'm still one of the best.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 11, 2023 11:30 AM GMT
ATP fashion Sad
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/554885dddcff5b717fed276b76f082ab
Report edy November 11, 2023 12:16 PM GMT
The Billie Jean King Cup website is very sexist.

https://www.billiejeankingcup.com/en/draws--results?stage=FC-FLS&year=2023®ion=W-FC-2023-FLS

If you scroll to the "Team Nominations" section, it only mentions/lists the captain if they are female.
Report edy November 11, 2023 12:20 PM GMT
They are total MERFS imo.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 11, 2023 2:20 PM GMT
They're also ageist, listing more recent WTA players but not listing someone like Kathy Rinaldi who played in the 80's and 90's and has a career high ranking of world no 7.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 11, 2023 2:22 PM GMT
oh look it's Anett!
https://twitter.com/Diego_Barbiani/status/1723342888744923282
Report edy November 12, 2023 11:11 AM GMT
Sabine Katharina Lisicki (German pronunciation: [zaˈbiːnə lɪˈzɪki]) will later today play in her first final since 2018 (destroyed by Luksika at the offseason lightning quick indoors WTA125 Taipei) and might even win her first singles title since 2014 (womanhandled KaPlis in Hong Kong (would now be WTA250)). Opponent will be local hero Stacey Fung, who will have an ever raucous canadian crowd behind her.
Report edy November 12, 2023 11:16 AM GMT
Fung, from what I can tell, is a surname primarily associated with Hong Kong (and the regions around it), which....is totes a SIGN with Sabine's last title having come in Hong Kong.
Report edy November 12, 2023 11:47 AM GMT
Sabine's best hope to defend against the crowd is that Canada-Italy in the BJK Cup will either not be finished yet (Calgary final starts 6h30min after the first BJK Cup final match), or everyone will be too deflated and sad to attend after an Italian victory.
Report edy November 12, 2023 3:25 PM GMT
Everybody is gonna rush to flag Stakusic on January 1st at this rate.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 3:48 PM GMT
Yeah it's annoying. I've been quietly building my team of talented young Canadians and then BJK thrusts her onto the world stage too soon.

But this weekend is going to be transformative for Leylah, and Leylah GOATing is more important to me than the flag comp.
Report n88uk November 12, 2023 4:05 PM GMT

Nov 7, 2023 -- 9:51AM, n88uk wrote:

Anyway it will be cue some very questionable captain decisions this week I imagine as ever in Fed Cup.

Funny, as when I wrote this, one of the expected muggery's of the week I had down was Canada wouldn't play Stakusic. Canada captain obviously very shrewd though.

Report edy November 12, 2023 4:09 PM GMT
Well, it's Heidi El-Tabakh. If you know her from her playing days, you just know she is the smartest woman ever to exist (or you'd have told her she is anyway).
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 4:14 PM GMT
Keothavong made her first shrewd decision of the week in kicking Burrage out of the singles
Report n88uk November 12, 2023 4:21 PM GMT
Well she basically had to do that with what Burrage did yesterday.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 4:45 PM GMT
I don't think it was necessarily a gimme. Burrage younger, having the best year of her career and into the top 100, nearly won a 250. Dart was basically here in a doubles capacity. Burrage would be at Anne's shoulder chomping at the bit for another crack.

It all worked out in the end though.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 4:49 PM GMT
Does anyone know what Lisicki was actually doing between August and Novemeber? Recuperating? Training?

If it's something she can emulate in the run up to Wimbledon (while making sure to get a Wc) then it's something to think about because she's ripping up trees at the moment.
Report edy November 12, 2023 5:14 PM GMT
It's been announced that Krejcikova/Siniakova are splitting next season on the initiative of Siniakova.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 5:16 PM GMT
Double break LAF!  Bencic-like of joy just a set away
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 5:16 PM GMT
* Bencic-like scream of joy.
Report edy November 12, 2023 5:32 PM GMT
Speaking of Leylah - it has also been announced that the WTA250 in Hamburg will be held in a new location next season. More central, more park-y/nature-y (and I would very much imagine smaller than Rothenbaum).
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 5:46 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 5:14PM, edy wrote:

It's been announced that Krejcikova/Siniakova are splitting next season on the initiative of Siniakova.

Shocked

some of these double players must really hate winning.

Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 5:49 PM GMT
https://twitter.com/stanwawrinka/status/1723747330011152775/photo/2
Stan with the same type of walking boot I had in the summer.
Report edy November 12, 2023 5:49 PM GMT
Siniakova wants to grow as a tennis player and as a human being by leaving her comfort zone.
Report edy November 12, 2023 5:50 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 5:49PM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

https://twitter.com/stanwawrinka/status/1723747330011152775/photo/2Stan with the same type of walking boot I had in the summer.

I see Stan is a big fan of former 76ers GM Sam Hinkie.

Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 6:15 PM GMT
Canada the champions! Love
Report edy November 12, 2023 6:18 PM GMT
maple syrup for everyone tonight!
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 6:21 PM GMT
Respect to Rebecca Marino. Takes out half of the suicide comp in one day then two months later she's a world champ without hitting a ball.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 6:27 PM GMT
The names of Fernandez, Stakusic, Rebecca Marino, Eugenie Boucard and Gabriela Dabrowski will now reverberate around the world

Billiejeankingcup.com

Bouchard's contribution shouldn't be overlooked. Okay she played two 'dead' doubles rubbers but won them convincingly, thereby allowing LAF to commit 100% to beating Marketa in the singles knowing there was a proven backup in the doubles.

Genie = back.
Report edy November 12, 2023 6:34 PM GMT
That short changes Marino a bit and does her injustice. She hit plent of balls and played a vital role in them qualifying for the finals to begin with in a very close tie against Belgium.

Only because Marino had tired Bonaventure out the day before in a tough 3-set loss was Leylah able to come back against and grind the same opponent down after everyone's favourite curly girl had been down a set and a break. With the tie ending 3-2 in Canada's favour, that point was crucialer than crucial.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 6:41 PM GMT
What Genie did in 2014, and Milos on the men's side around the same time, should not be undersold when analyzing Canada's success ~10 years later. The Björn Borgs of Canadian tennis.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 6:43 PM GMT
That short changes Marino a bit and does her injustice.

Yeah quite right. I was being kinda flippant, didn't mean to be mean. Also tbf she was the loudest and most animated cheerleader last night in the two LAF matches.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 6:48 PM GMT
The real MVP is Bianca imo. Won a slam and set a level for the current women to target, heavily involved with Tennis Canada supporting the upcoming players like Mboko and Staksuic. She put up 50,000 CAD of her own money in a match funding campaign.
Report edy November 12, 2023 6:50 PM GMT
Was Bibi actually there this week? I only saw pictures of her taking some onoare document this week in what I presume to have happened in Romania.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 6:51 PM GMT
I didn't see her.
Report edy November 12, 2023 6:52 PM GMT
Must have felt it would have stolen the girls' light.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 6:53 PM GMT
Is she injured?
Report edy November 12, 2023 6:53 PM GMT
The default answer to that is always "yes".
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 6:54 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 6:48PM, Journeyman wrote:

The real MVP is Bianca imo. Won a slam and set a level for the current women to target, heavily involved with Tennis Canada supporting the upcoming players like Mboko and Staksuic. She put up 50,000 CAD of her own money in a match funding campaign.

the younger players will also have been inspired by reading Bibi's got game!

Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 6:55 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 6:53PM, edy wrote:

The default answer to that is always "yes".

Cry

I didn't even realize she hasn't played since Montreal.

Report edy November 12, 2023 6:56 PM GMT
Romania to win the BJK Cup in a few years with Bibi's book having been translated to and published in their native language?
Report edy November 12, 2023 6:56 PM GMT
With Todoni assuming Leylah's role of squad grandma to a yet to be defined younger upstart.
Report edy November 12, 2023 6:59 PM GMT
Though Todoni hasn't really played on hard court ever to assume she could lead Romania during what will likely be indoor hard BJK Cup Finals for the forseeable future.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 6:59 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 6:56PM, edy wrote:

Romania to win the BJK Cup in a few years with Bibi's book having been translated to and published in their native language?

good shout! (if Romanians are big fans of hers in the first place I should add)

Report edy November 12, 2023 7:00 PM GMT
I think Romanians are generally fond of their diaspora members.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 7:01 PM GMT
Both parents Romanian so I guess it's like all the countries that think Emma is really theirs
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 7:03 PM GMT
I wonder if Emma will send Leylah a text tonight. They used to be close (and Leylah's mum made her take cupcakes to the locker room before they played the USO final).
Report edy November 12, 2023 7:03 PM GMT
Romanians must like Bibi. As mentioned earlier, they gave her an onoare document recently.
Report edy November 12, 2023 7:07 PM GMT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CzgimDCAqeG/

Bibi's Instagram post from yesterday of her book signing in Bucharest and Vaideeni and her receiving her onoare diploma.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 7:14 PM GMT
Vicky Mboko years ago with her 'idol'.

Report edy November 12, 2023 7:44 PM GMT
The Austria-Mexico playoff tie goes to the TBOTAJ in the decisive doubles.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 7:47 PM GMT
But let's not get carried away with these team wins for Canada. You can only beat what's ahead of you but if these events were handled better, had a better calendar slot, and would have attracted the best players, Canadian victories would be very unlikely.
Report edy November 12, 2023 7:50 PM GMT
Nay-sayers gonna nay-say say say say.
Report edy November 12, 2023 7:51 PM GMT
Turns out it wasn't actually a TBOTAJ.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 7:53 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 7:50PM, edy wrote:

Nay-sayers gonna nay-say say say say.

I was gonna let it slide until I saw my twitter feed full of posts about their win, but no-one saying that the emperor is naked.

Report edy November 12, 2023 7:54 PM GMT
At slams they play TBOTAJ at 6-6 in doubles in the final set. At BJK Cup playoffs they play tiebreaks to 7. At BJK Finals the entire final set is just a tiebreak to 10.

Why?
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 7:56 PM GMT
Same reason the WTA finals were being played in Cancun during hurricane season.
Report edy November 12, 2023 7:57 PM GMT
Big suitcases full of cash for the Magda?
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 8:06 PM GMT
Attempting to order large maple syrup and bacon pizza to celebrate.
Attempting to explain due to Canada winning Billie jean king cup.
Attempting to explain must be Papajohns because tennis phorum.
Failing so far.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 8:19 PM GMT
But let's not get carried away with these team wins for Canada. You can only beat what's ahead of you but if these events were handled better, had a better calendar slot, and would have attracted the best players, Canadian victories would be very unlikely.

This is interesting though, is that really the reason? To what extent are players divided between those driven by personal ambition and those that step up when playing for their country. I saw that Aga is attacking Iga for not being here. The jury's out on Rybakina, she was out of cancun earlyish, did she really have falre up of her back issue?

Then there's Bencic, achieved every conceivable honour for her country, will be remebered as having underachieved at a personal level.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 8:39 PM GMT
It's not like Davis Cup or BJK Cup will become a top priority for all players if changes are being made, but just to name a few Alcaraz, Djokovic, Swiatek and Pegula are all happy to play under the right circumstances, that is when it doesn't interfere with their singles careers too much. With a better calendar slot, I think it's fair to assume that Jess and Iga play the BJK Cup finals for sure, most likely Coco as well. Czechia did pretty much field their best line-up this year, but with both Marketa and BK playing Cancun the week before, what percentage of their best were they? Haven't read Aga's comments, but Iga has perfectly good reasons to not play. She WANTS to play, not just when the schedule is idiotic.
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:22 PM GMT
Why do Canadians never know when they are beaten?
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 10:30 PM GMT
To be fair, it's probably the worst day in history to be playing a Canadian in a womens tennis final in Canada
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 10:36 PM GMT
Why do Danes never know when they are beaten?
Report Angela Rebecchi November 12, 2023 10:36 PM GMT
Novak goes 6-0 down in TB !!
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:39 PM GMT
The crowds have generally been really good from what I've seen, at least when Canadians played. When Alexia Jacobs got close to upsetting Liv Hovde early in the tournament on the tournament's second court, that might well have been the loudest I had seen on the ITF tour. Intimacy and it being indoors will have helped, but I was still impressed. All too often ITF events are Ghostville.
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:46 PM GMT
Though especially north americans seem to enjoy ITF events at times and the intimacy at the club they possibly play at. The USA are also the only place I remember seeing people of well advanced pension age work/volunteer as ballpeople. Sadly for them, one thing the Swedes often give their ballkids hasn't made it to the States - spoon nets. Would make it so much easier for the backs of the old people, and look oh ever so cool, if they could just scoop around with their nets.
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:46 PM GMT
Also - yay Sabeen!
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:49 PM GMT
Is there a fabled story handed down among Swedes about the usage of ball picking nets in Swedish tournaments?
Report Angela Rebecchi November 12, 2023 10:52 PM GMT
Novak smashes racket ! Excited
Report Angela Rebecchi November 12, 2023 10:52 PM GMT
Rackets !
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 10:53 PM GMT
Great result for Sabine. A special day all round.

Oh and Brenda won her 10000th ITF tournamnt of the year.
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:53 PM GMT
Still nowhere near the record.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 10:54 PM GMT
No, but I found this (translated from the Swedish Ilie Nastase page)

Năstase, despite his mood swings on the court, was appreciated by the tennis public, he was considered entertaining and could amuse with gestures and facial expressions. Many remember when, with a dejected expression, he borrowed a ball picking net from one of the ball boys when he was about to receive a serve from Björn Borg in the royal tennis hall during the Stockholm Open.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 10:55 PM GMT
For all the clowns on tour these days, I can't believe none of them has done this in recent years.
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:56 PM GMT
Saw earlier today that Linda F. is going to Japan for the two upcoming W100s.
Report edy November 12, 2023 10:59 PM GMT
Even the clowns are too professional and robotic these days.Sad
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 11:02 PM GMT
Pretty much everyone in the UK knew who Nastase was. Henri Leconte very well known and loved as well.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 11:04 PM GMT
They just don't know their history imo and are not creative enough to come up with this. There doesn't seem to be any recordings of Nastase doing this.
Reading now Ilie didn't do this just to clown, he was also trying to ruin Borg's concentration.
Report edy November 12, 2023 11:04 PM GMT
The Open Era can really be divided into two parts - BL and AL - before and after Lendl.

Before Lendl, players had fun on court and off the court they could be party like The Great Gatsby every day while still being top players. They just had to show up to court. Didn't really matter if they had snored coke all night before.

Then along came Lendl with his.....professionalism and ended the age of being a tennis player being fun.

Leconte is still making himself popular through his exhibition doubles. Biggest legend of exhibition doubles after Bahrami.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 11:06 PM GMT
Leconte the most unfunny clown ever. Whenever I watch old legends with him involved everyone else is funny but with him it's so cringe. Was a good player though.
Report edy November 12, 2023 11:07 PM GMT
If you are the unfunny clown you are the one who has truly mastered the art.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 11:08 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 11:04PM, edy wrote:

The Open Era can really be divided into two parts - BL and AL - before and after Lendl.Before Lendl, players had fun on court and off the court they could be party like The Great Gatsby every day while still being top players. They just had to show up to court. Didn't really matter if they had snored coke all night before.Then along came Lendl with his.....professionalism and ended the age of being a tennis player being fun.Leconte is still making himself popular through his exhibition doubles. Biggest legend of exhibition doubles after Bahrami.

This was 1991!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRvIMk6PnY&ab_channel=TennisTV

Report edy November 12, 2023 11:12 PM GMT
A very Hamburg crowd with their big warm jackets in the middle of summer.
Report Journeyman November 12, 2023 11:15 PM GMT
I love that most of the comments on that clip are about Kyrgios
Report edy November 12, 2023 11:16 PM GMT
I love that Noah actually won the match.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 12, 2023 11:17 PM GMT

Nov 12, 2023 -- 11:16PM, edy wrote:

I love that Noah actually won the match.

Cry
he suckered the Swede in.

Report Angela Rebecchi November 13, 2023 12:17 AM GMT
1.26            £1,000.00
1.27            £1,770.83

Kopefer backers Shocked
Report edy November 13, 2023 1:26 AM GMT
edy • September 28, 2023 10:50 PM BST
Found a tennis player whose first action in pro tennis tournaments came when she was almost 23 years old in 2021. Has no junior record in ITF sanctioned junior events either. Now she is almost top 500 in the WTA after compiling a 51/22 record so far this season (mostly at W15 level, mind). Her official website suggests that she attended university in Japan, so I guess that's what she spent her time on before she turned pro.

It's never too late to make your dreams come true - Miho Kamurochi.

This woman, whose actual name is Miho Kuramochi, is also one of the more conservative schedulers. Possibly for monetary constraints.

In her career that started in 2021 she tends to either play in Japan or play tournaments in blocks.

2021 - started her pro career by playing five consecutive weeks in Cairo, followed by four consecutive weeks in Cancun after a month break.

2022 - 4 events Monastir -> 3 events Cancun -> 2 weeks South Korea -> 4 events Japan

2023 - 7 events Monastir -> 3 events Antalya -> 9 events Japan -> 1 (!) event Thailand -> 1 (!) event Japan, 2 events Thailand, 4 (and counting) events in Japan.

#PlayingOnABudget
Report edy November 13, 2023 1:28 AM GMT
She could earn some additional travel funds by offering to be Nao Hibino's Doppelgänger if the bigger japanese star doesn't feel like doing PR stuff.
Report SamuelMertensBertens November 13, 2023 10:53 AM GMT
all Japanese look the same to you Sad
Report edy November 19, 2023 8:18 PM GMT
That's not true. I can tell Razor Ramon HG and Nao Hibino apart.
Report edy November 22, 2023 1:19 PM GMT
When you least expect it, Kuramochi shows up to play the W60 in Brisbane as a direct entrant instead of in the qualifying draw of  the W100 Takasaki (played the first Takasaki event last week)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com