Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SamuelMertensBertens
12 Jul 21 01:46
| Topic/replies: 23,343 | Blogger: SamuelMertensBertens's blog
Lots and lots of tennis this week. Prague is hardcourt unlike previous editions, Newport is grass of course and the rest is clay. The road to Tokyo has begun.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 148
By:
edy
When: 12 Jul 21 11:24
First!
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 14:00
Has it ever happened in recent memory that we've had grass, hc and clay tournaments on the same week? (main tour level)
By:
edy
When: 12 Jul 21 15:26
Not as far as I remember.
By:
edy
When: 12 Jul 21 15:26
...but you know I barely remember yesterday.
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 15:39
it would have to be on week of Newport if so.
By:
edy
When: 12 Jul 21 15:41
maybe last olympic season they compressed the hard season and put one in the Newport week
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 16:15
Sramkova looks like she's cramping.
Petra had trainer on earlier.
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 16:16

Jul 12, 2021 -- 9:41AM, edy wrote:

maybe last olympic season they compressed the hard season and put one in the Newport week

2012 this happened.

By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 16:20
set Petra. And big POJD for this type of event.
By:
edy
When: 12 Jul 21 17:06
Knew it had happened in an olympic year before!
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 17:16
Sramkova wins!
By:
differentdrum
When: 12 Jul 21 17:22
Why was the commentary 10 seconds or so behind the pictures? Is this usual?
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 19:08
ATP doing that muggy thing WTA did with I think it was Kerber. So Kerber just won a Slam and their big headline was "Kerber qualifies for Shenzhen". Today when Novak has equaled Roger and Rafa in the most majors race, they go with "Novak qualifies for Torino" Laugh
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 12 Jul 21 21:58
Bianca out of Tokyo.
I hope all the withdrawals are just because of all the restrictions and tennis doesn't go back to being a lesser event at the Olympics like it was 30-35 years ago.
By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 00:29
I'd like olympic tennis better if we ever had proper streams for it.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 13 Jul 21 00:49
it's on TV but no doubt they'll be showing womens wrestling instead
By:
Giuseppe
When: 13 Jul 21 00:50
there are too many sports now, and gender quotas too, you can't follow anything properly because you never know what will be on TV
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 13 Jul 21 10:34
oh no, the two Russian AK's are playing each other in Budapest today, this is gonna be so confusing for me.
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 13 Jul 21 10:49

Jul 12, 2021 -- 6:29PM, edy wrote:

I'd like olympic tennis better if we ever had proper streams for it.

I hope I can find a stream of a Swedish broadcast for the Olympics. Watching it on British tv will be so weird, I imagine they'll show velodrome cycling, field hockey and other mug sports 90 per cent of the time.

By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 13 Jul 21 10:52
but they tennis streaming has been poor for as long as I remember Sad
By:
n88uk
When: 13 Jul 21 11:34
You technically have access to every sport at once in the UK on BBC, they stream everything behind red button. Historically the problem with the tennis is normally like 3 courts have cameras so you don't see anywhere near as much as you would from other events.
By:
n88uk
When: 13 Jul 21 11:36

Jul 12, 2021 -- 3:58PM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

Bianca out of Tokyo. I hope all the withdrawals are just because of all the restrictions and tennis doesn't go back to being a lesser event at the Olympics like it was 30-35 years ago.

It's just people cba to go to Tokyo at this time, with these restrictions. Even more so when the US is dangling a carrot of minimal restrictions next to it. Ben Rothenberg reckons this could affect the Canadian events quite badly too, as they have heavy restrictions there, but the US has minimal restrictions for its events which could see players heavily favour them. Nadal has already signed up for ATP 500 Washington for the first time in his career.

By:
n88uk
When: 13 Jul 21 11:39
But you are right the main sports might not be what you expect on BBC coverage at Olympics. Basically week 1 their base is swimming normally, week 2-3 their base is the track and field, they lean heavily towards showing these events on main channels, then anything GB have a good chance of a medal at, so of course you are right cycling will have a bias. Tbh generally the sports they show are actually exciting imo.
By:
n88uk
When: 13 Jul 21 11:40
We often have some medal hopes in martial arts/boxing that will get shown (I have no idea what our medal hopes are for these though this year), gymnastics too, and we defo have some medal hopes there.
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 13 Jul 21 13:05
this week so muggy even Ula is playing main draw!
By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 14:25
Basically all the tennis, and all other sports, was available at the 2016 olympics through the EBU, but the streams were delayed a ton that way.

This time around Discovery/Eurosport have the rights, with some sublicencing going by the public broadcasters (in Germany at least). Unless Discovery sublicenced to bookmakers too, the streaming situation might be even worse than last time around.
By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 14:26
*Basically all the tennis on courts with cameras
By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 14:28

Jul 13, 2021 -- 5:36AM, n88uk wrote:

Jul 12, 2021 --  8:58PM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:Bianca out of Tokyo. I hope all the withdrawals are just because of all the restrictions and tennis doesn't go back to being a lesser event at the Olympics like it was 30-35 years ago.It's just people cba to go to Tokyo at this time, with these restrictions. Even more so when the US is dangling a carrot of minimal restrictions next to it. Ben Rothenberg reckons this could affect the Canadian events quite badly too, as they have heavy restrictions there, but the US has minimal restrictions for its events which could see players heavily favour them. Nadal has already signed up for ATP 500 Washington for the first time in his career.

This is why I could imagine Djokovic skipping the olympics.

Sure, the Golden Slam is sweet, but if he reckons it would have a serious impact on his preparation for the Calendar Slam....

By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 14:29
and maybe the Japanese would force him to get vaccinated Shocked
By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 14:37

Jul 13, 2021 -- 7:05AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

this week so muggy even Ula is playing main draw!

She seems a very nice girl. Maybe we should be nicer to her too.

When she just big time disagreed with a a call, her primary comment towards the chair umpire was "Excuse me?" with a slightly raised voice. And that was on the back of having had lost 7 straight games already, with her body possibly giving out on her. There was every reason to get really agonized and abuse everybody around.

But not from Ula. No her telling him that he needs to go to specsavers or her asking him if he went to school. In those moments it really shows that she spent her first years in Germany.

By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 14:38
...and with wisewords not being around anymore, Ula bashing serves no purpose anyway.Sad
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 13 Jul 21 14:49
true Sad
By:
edy
When: 13 Jul 21 14:54
I miss wisewords. I hope he's really just decided to stay away/close his bf account, and that he's fit and healthy.
By:
differentdrum
When: 13 Jul 21 15:26
Lausanne - Where are they sweeping the water to? It looks like one part of the covers to another?
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 13 Jul 21 16:01
“The Mubadala Silicon Valley Classic announced today that 18-year-old Emma Raducanu, fresh off her final-16 run at Wimbledon, has accepted a main draw wildcard to the 2021 event.”
By:
SamuelMertensBertens
When: 13 Jul 21 16:05
Diego Barbiani @Diego_Barbiani
· 1h
Colombia will be represented in the women's singles main draw at the Olympic Games

Maria Camila Osorio Serrano is officially in

Excited
By:
Giuseppe
When: 13 Jul 21 16:11
GB women's soccer team playing too

there's 10-20 hours of BBC coverage gone straight away, depending on how far they get
By:
n88uk
When: 13 Jul 21 16:22
Raducanu WC into WTA 500 in San Jose. So they're lining up then.
By:
n88uk
When: 13 Jul 21 16:33
Ah the classic stuck thread.
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo