Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SamuelMertensBertens
28 Mar 20 18:49
| Topic/replies: 228,698 | Blogger: SamuelMertensBertens's blog
Let's keep tennis talk in here during this corona hiatus so it doesn't get buried in other discussion.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Tennis Silence 2020
Show More
Report edy March 28, 2020 6:53 PM GMT
Christopher Clarey @christophclarey
4h
So much uncertainty about the 2020 tennis season but what is clear is that if play does resume this year, both the ATP and WTA intend to play until nearly the end of December: using their previously scheduled offseason to try to get as many tournaments played as possible
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 28, 2020 6:54 PM GMT
Was just about to c+p that.

So would that mean ATP & WTA Finals would be postponed til the end of the year or are they doing them as scheduled and just throwing in whatever tournaments fit by the end of the year? It would also mean a super long season with whatever tennis is played this year + 10/11 months next year.
Report edy March 28, 2020 7:01 PM GMT
The text could also be read as the finals being at the end of december, virus permitting.
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 28, 2020 7:07 PM GMT
Elton John is booked at the 02 until December 17th.
Report edy March 28, 2020 7:30 PM GMT
So christmas week it is for the ATP finals then.
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 28, 2020 11:08 PM GMT
Happy
but what about Davis Cup?
Report edy March 28, 2020 11:42 PM GMT
The ATP is in a war with the ITF anyway and wishes to establish ATP Cup as the only real tennis team competition. Will probably overlap.
Report SamuelMertensBertens March 29, 2020 11:31 AM BST
Tennis.Life @tennislifenews
6hAfter six months, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and coach Sam Sumyk have split up. The Russian offers insight in a fascinating interview with Russian website Kommersant.
http://ow.ly/ubgy50yYLDB

oh no
Report EatMySalada March 30, 2020 3:02 PM BST
Problem is more about crowds in next months. Hopefully for us i can see minor leagues at national stage going to play, some atp players could take part to maintain their fitness.
Another opportunity is to create 'closed' events to pay off some wages for players outside top 100 who are really struggling now.
Report edy March 30, 2020 3:36 PM BST
Some ITF events really should've kept going. Some are week-in-week-out at the same locations with the same players.
Report wisewords March 30, 2020 3:41 PM BST
this is very bad times for those players Sad
Report edy March 30, 2020 5:04 PM BST

Mar 29, 2020 -- 5:31AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

Tennis.Life @tennislifenews6hAfter six months, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and coach Sam Sumyk have split up. The Russian offers insight in a fascinating interview with Russian website Kommersant.http://ow.ly/ubgy50yYLDBoh no

- You are on the board of WTA players. What can you say about the decision of the organizers of Roland Garros to postpone the tournament to the fall, which caused a powerful resonance?

- So far, nothing is clear to the end. Just yesterday, I called up at the WTA office in Florida and talked until midnight. In addition to me, the board of players includes American Sloan Stevens, Madison Keyes and Christy Ahn, British Johanna Comte, Serb Sasha Krunich and Croatian Donna Vekic. Separately, I communicate with Austrian Jürgen Meltzer from the ATP players council. We periodically correspond with each other about the decisions they make. Since many WTA and ATP tournaments are held simultaneously, questions should also be discussed together.

Tomorrow we call up a Frenchwoman, Natalie Deshey, who works with Roland Garros director Guy Forge. As far as I understand, they might have problems with tournament insurance, but this is only an assumption. The French insist on holding the tournament starting September 20, it is not possible to choose another date. However, the organizers of the US Open, which should be completed just a week before, also do not want to move yet.

In general, we on the board of players do not yet understand how the situation will be resolved. In addition, unfortunately, none of us can control many things.

- How do you feel about the recent initiative of the 371st racket of the world by Georgian Sofia Shapatava regarding the fact that the ATP and WTA should separately support financially low-ranking players?

- Of course, we want to help such players. Although not only they lose money. Nobody will pay us while we sit at home and play. Now everyone is in the same situation.
If tournaments start in June, this is one story. And if in the worst case scenario everything is postponed to next year, it’s completely different.

- After reaching the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, you have not played for some time due to injury. How is your physical condition now?

- I think that in my hip injury there is a little fault of my former trainer Sam Sumik, as well as a physical training coach. Over the course of my career, apart from my shoulder, nothing has ever hurt me. I think the training process and the schedule of participation in tournaments were incorrectly planned. A few weeks after returning from Melbourne, I defeated Belinda Bencic, the fourth racket of the world, in Dubai, but I couldn’t really play the next match against Anette Contaveit. She withdrew from tournaments in Doha and Lyon in order to prepare well for Indian Wells, but the situation with the coronavirus began to unfold there. Now I’ve already recovered and I feel much better.

https://www.tennisforum.com/threads/pavs-says-sumyk-too-is-at-fault-for-her-hip-injury.1374725/

Report wisewords March 30, 2020 5:10 PM BST
edy did you make those spelling mistake changes on purpose?
Report wisewords March 30, 2020 5:11 PM BST
Sloan Stevens, Madison Keyes and Christy Ahn. British Johanna Comte CrazyLaugh
Report wisewords March 30, 2020 5:14 PM BST
or is it just a Google Translate?
Report wisewords March 30, 2020 5:15 PM BST
ps, Sumyk sucks
Report wisewords March 30, 2020 5:16 PM BST
Anette Contaveit Crazy
Report edy March 30, 2020 5:17 PM BST
I don't know if it's Google Translate, but if you go to the link I posted you'll see the original source is Russian, so...
Report wisewords March 30, 2020 5:21 PM BST
ok aidy
Report EatMySalada March 30, 2020 6:15 PM BST

Mar 30, 2020 -- 11:21AM, wisewords wrote:

ok aidy

LaughLaughLaugh

Report edy April 1, 2020 6:48 PM BST
Wimbledon has been officially cancelled.
Report wisewords April 1, 2020 7:01 PM BST
Sad
Report wisewords April 1, 2020 7:01 PM BST
Cry
Report edy April 9, 2020 4:19 PM BST
The ATP and WTA are teasing a "Tennis United" thingy announcement for tomorrow, April 10.
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 11, 2020 11:18 AM BST
https://twitter.com/tvanouvelles/status/1248692604742643712
Province of Quebec looking to cancel all events til end of August, so likely no tennis from Montreal this year.
Report edy April 11, 2020 8:03 PM BST
Officially cancelled for the year.
Report EatMySalada April 11, 2020 11:18 PM BST
Us Open odds to play flip flop now :D
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 12, 2020 12:54 AM BST
New York schools shut til September, so it doesn't look good.
Report edy April 12, 2020 10:14 AM BST
Should just play the US Open in Indian Wells.
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 16, 2020 4:27 AM BST
Stuart Fraser @stu_fraser
The likelihood of the US Open going ahead just took another hit. CNN reporting tonight that the local mayor has cast doubt on any major sporting events taking place in New York City with spectators this year.
Report wisewords April 16, 2020 2:49 PM BST
Would they play the tournament behind closed doors?
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 16, 2020 5:42 PM BST
So much of the revenue comes from attendance. I think Rogers Cup said it wasn't worth it for tv revenue alone.
Report wisewords April 16, 2020 7:28 PM BST
Oh. So no Wimbledon, no US Open and no Roland Garros in 2020?
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 16, 2020 7:33 PM BST
Too early to say.
Report wisewords April 16, 2020 7:35 PM BST
I'm not hopeful
Report EatMySalada April 16, 2020 10:23 PM BST
Can see only minor and local tournaments for some months, do you think the top players will be playing with the covid19 still causing some fear?
The only one could be Federer surprisingly: not so much left to play and a special present (vaccine) from his friend Gates
Report edy April 16, 2020 10:45 PM BST
Colette Lewis
@zootennis
USTA Executive Director Dowse says it is "highly unlikely" US Open will happen if spectators are not allowed.

dirk hordorff
@dirkhordorff
New plan of ATP and WTA , in case USOpen will be not played. Clay court season in September. @rolandgarros needs to move one week, and play q, before Madrid and Rome sheduled, before may be some european clay court events. After Beijng ,Tokyo, after Shanghai @StefMylesTennis

11:26 PM - Apr 16, 2020 · Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, Germany
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 16, 2020 11:00 PM BST
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/not-really-in-the-spirit-us-open-unlikely-to-go-behind-closed-doors-20200417-p54knu.html
decision will be made in June.
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 17, 2020 2:12 PM BST
Laver Cup postponed til 2021.
Report edy April 17, 2020 2:31 PM BST
Sad
Report wisewords April 17, 2020 2:40 PM BST
Still can't see Roland Garros going ahead
Report edy April 17, 2020 3:12 PM BST
I can
Report wisewords April 17, 2020 3:40 PM BST
Shocked
Report edy April 19, 2020 5:14 AM BST
https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/29056580/serena-williams-coach-starts-independent-tennis-league

Report edy April 19, 2020 5:17 AM BST
Gaspar Ribeiro Lança
@gasparlanca
Big news: Rafa Nadal Academy has made its facilities available for ATP and WTA elite players to "reside, train and compete between themselves in matches that will be televised."

6:41 PM - Apr 18, 2020
Report EatMySalada April 19, 2020 2:58 PM BST
I said that long time ago.. it's clear that national tournaments are the solution to keep fitness and income to players (low rank expecially)
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 23, 2020 9:48 PM BST
José Morgado @josemorgado
30m Roland Garros gonna be pushed back *one more week*, with the main draw starting september 27th.
'Le Parisien' saying that the request came from the ATP/WTA so it's part of the tour rescheduling that they are planning.
Report SamuelMertensBertens April 28, 2020 7:00 PM BST
John Horn @SportsHorn
Carla Suarez Navarro who is expected to retire at the end of the 2020 season said during Virtual chat that she wants to retire on court not off court so will re-evaluate at the end of this season & make a final decision #WTA #MMOpen

Sad
Report edy April 28, 2020 11:30 PM BST
Hopefully Rybarikova will make the same decision.
Report edy May 1, 2020 9:42 PM BST
Women's tennis will finally re-open on a local level in the United States with the UTR Pro Match Series. The first event is scheduled in West Palm Beach, Florida on May 22-24 and will feature Anisimova, Riske, Collins and Tomljanovic. The event will be televised by the Tennis Channel.

The ATP version of the UTR will start on May 8
Report edy May 1, 2020 9:47 PM BST
Men's UTR is meant to have Ajla's hubby and Opelka.
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 1, 2020 9:48 PM BST
do we know the match format?
Report edy May 1, 2020 10:00 PM BST
No. It's been announced that it's RR tournaments with four players, held for three days per tournament, with about three hours of play each day (they say three hours of coverage).

It could be a lot of things based on that. I think it could well be two full normal pro tour format matches on each day of a tournament.
Report wisewords May 1, 2020 10:01 PM BST

May 1, 2020 -- 3:42PM, edy wrote:

Women's tennis will finally re-open on a local level in the United States with the UTR Pro Match Series. The first event is scheduled in West Palm Beach, Florida on May 22-24 and will feature Anisimova, Riske, Collins and Tomljanovic. The event will be televised by the Tennis Channel.The ATP version of the UTR will start on May 8

Happy

Report wisewords May 1, 2020 10:04 PM BST
that's good news edy
Report edy May 1, 2020 10:05 PM BST
It's backed by Oracle and they said they're planning to stage these things in other places too.
Report wisewords May 1, 2020 10:08 PM BST
Happy
Report SamuelMertensBertens May 10, 2020 1:42 PM BST
classic Belinda
https://twitter.com/FanOfBencic/status/943896282703200256
Report wisewords May 10, 2020 9:51 PM BST
classic Belinda indeed!!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539