Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
wisewords
22 Mar 20 19:37
| Topic/replies: 520,506 | Blogger: wisewords's blog
Something happened to the other thread, I can't post in it.

But the show must go on..
Show More
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 10:36 AM BST
New Zealand women were 1.06 to beat us at rugby 7s, and we are 21-0 up after 5 minutes lol.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 10:39 AM BST
Lol 21-12 by half time.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 10:48 AM BST
And we've lost now.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 10:51 AM BST
They should do proper rugby at the Olympics.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 10:52 AM BST
Not viable as too physical. Would take like 6 weeks.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 10:54 AM BST
4 matches in 16 days not doable?
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 11:01 AM BST
Watching the Olympics on British tv has been just as bad as I thought. Perfect example now, just after having shown rugby 7 they go straight to field hockey. Luckliy I found a Swedish channel online.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 11:03 AM BST
field hockey does look like fun to play though. I just have no interest in watching it as a sport, so falls under the same category as darts and innebandy.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:26 PM BST

Jul 29, 2021 -- 4:54AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

4 matches in 16 days not doable?

So you'd have it just straight knockout then? But even that isn't probs viable. At World Cup you play once a week compared to like football every 4 days.

Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:29 PM BST

Jul 29, 2021 -- 5:01AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

Watching the Olympics on British tv has been just as bad as I thought. Perfect example now, just after having shown rugby 7 they go straight to field hockey. Luckliy I found a Swedish channel online.

When I discussed this a while ago, I didn't realise BBC coverage much, much reduced this year due to IOC deal with Discovery. BBC used to have every single sport for the last Olympics behind the red button, so you could watch anything you liked.

IOC did a deal with Discovery that is Europe wide, so that functionality is now on ES Player/Discovery + and BBC are only allowed to show 2 live sports at once, 1 on BBC channel, other on red button.

The coverage is much worse than normal, some of it is covid, but a lot this new contract. So eg. for London/Rio this week 1 they'd have a studio at the swimming with presenters and pundits and show every race from in the aquatic centre live, and then move about at times for other stuff. And then week 2 same would happen for athletics. Covid has hurt the on site studios bit I assume.

Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:31 PM BST
Field hockey is ok to play in my experience, and I guess ok to watch, I would never watch it outside Olympics though. Will be controversial with you I guess but to me it has the same issue as ice hockey as TV viewing sport, that you don't have a good visual of the puck/ball.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:32 PM BST
I think BBC's coverage is a little disappointing, but I guess it's mostly been depicted to them, but it was far more fun when they'd be live in the aquatic centre and you'd just see everything live.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 12:48 PM BST

Jul 29, 2021 -- 6:26AM, n88uk wrote:

Jul 29, 2021 -- 9:54AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:4 matches in 16 days not doable?So you'd have it just straight knockout then? But even that isn't probs viable. At World Cup you play once a week compared to like football every 4 days.

8 teams. 2 groups of four. Group winners play for gold, runners-up for bronze.

Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 12:49 PM BST

Jul 29, 2021 -- 6:31AM, n88uk wrote:

Field hockey is ok to play in my experience, and I guess ok to watch, I would never watch it outside Olympics though. Will be controversial with you I guess but to me it has the same issue as ice hockey as TV viewing sport, that you don't have a good visual of the puck/ball.

Nothing worse than watching ice hockey when you don't see the puck.

Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 12:51 PM BST
BBC is also, understandably with GB doing so well, very Brit-oriented so you get a lot of sports where Brits are doing well at the expense of other events.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:52 PM BST
But to me it's always like that, and field hockey has much the same, imo they aren't great spectator sports for that reason. BBC are just showing it as we are defending champions btw, very unlikely to retain though.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:54 PM BST
GB was doing even better at previous 2 Olympics though, so it's not just that. There's obviously a bias towards things we're good at, which I assume is different for you and what you want to watch, but they normally show swimming and track and field in its entirety and we're hardly great at either. Swimming here has been our best Olympics like ever, normally we win 1 gold.

One thing is the time difference to Tokyo means they feel the need to replay the GB successes over and over, so if you watched coverage through the night to 6pm news the next day they GB successes have been shown about 4 times each by then.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 12:55 PM BST
wonder how long GB's success last. Usually hosts do well for their home games and then it lasts one or two more before going back to whatever the numbers were before.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 12:56 PM BST
Have they showed tennis at all?
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:58 PM BST
I also think there's a bias towards events that are seen as like Olympic events. It's why you see like no tennis/golf coverage, they have just shown Wimbledon (and The Open in previous years though not now), so it's not showing the audience something different or that defines the Olympics. Eg. Gymnastics is always shown too, and we don't do great at that.

The bias towards Brits comes in stuff like indoor cycling in velodrome, taekwondo, rowing etc. Indoor cycling hasn't started yet, but you can guarantee it will get heavy coverage as we normally win heaps of medals in it (Laura Trott!).
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 12:58 PM BST
Not live. Only few mins highlights.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:00 PM BST
and I know this is blasphemy but Adam Peaty very overrated. Breast stroke is swimming's equivalence to walk in athletics. If you're being chased by a shark, do you use breast stroke to escape?
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:00 PM BST
yeah, I've been dreading velodrome cycling.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:02 PM BST

Jul 29, 2021 -- 6:55AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

wonder how long GB's success last. Usually hosts do well for their home games and then it lasts one or two more before going back to whatever the numbers were before.

Will defo go down here from last Olympics given we are already the only nation ever to increase their medals tally 5 straight Olympics, something that likely never norm happens after you host either.

We won't go back to our old 90s days of suckage though if that's what you're expecting. Heavy funding programme started circa 2000 via the lottery, that's a huge reason why our increase in medals has come. I imagine this sort of Olympics here is meant to be seen as par for the course rather than the last two. And tbh in Rio we kinda run amazing, like we won many golds as either huge underdog or in events like tennis and golf where there's no big fav and especially golf a wide range could win.

Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:03 PM BST
Most the events in velodrome are actually exciting imo, there's a few that are crap, but most are exciting, more exciting that field hockey imo.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:05 PM BST
Depends how you define overrated. Clearly very good at what he does. He doesn't gain the top level of recognition for it anyway, you could argue it's also because he's too much better than the field, so there's no jeopardy to his wins. Eg. He's never finished anywhere at Sports Personality of the Year, and the odds for this year think he will finish nowhere again. Whereas Tom Daley is into one of the favourites after winning gold.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:09 PM BST
Our taekwondo performance here was actually an under performance too.

Jade Jones was like evens to win, lost R1 in big upset.

Bianca Walkden was just above evens, won bronze.

Lauren Williams was tied fav with the person she met in the final, and won silver.

Bradley Sinden was one of the favs, if not the fav, and lost in final to an unknown who only qualified for the event on the day.

So while 2 silvers, 1 bronze looks decent, expectation will have been much higher. At least 2 golds will have been expected.

Also don't know if you saw any of the losses. But the last 3 literally were in the lead with 15 seconds left and lost, Walkden literally lost on the buzzer.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:10 PM BST
In terms of hype level, the biggest hype will be for Dina Asher-Smith if she wins either 100m or 200m I think, but she's not fav to win either, arguably expectations are too high after silver and gold at the world championships in these events.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:12 PM BST
Probably hurt tennis's chances to get tv coverage that Naomi lost early and Murray, Rafa, Federer aren't playing.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:14 PM BST
Meh they don't normally show the tennis. I only remember them showing the gold medal matches at most in previous Olympics, and Murray won both those previous Olympics.

Tennis (and golf) are both events that take up hours of the schedule to show them live, and are sports people already see, so just aren't as much priority imo. I think for the golf, coverage in Rio started to be shown in final round once Justin Rose was looking like winning, can't remember exactly how coverage went.

I just think these are seen as sports that aren't a focus the Olympics, and don't need coverage.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:15 PM BST
The Olympics is always soon after Wimbledon where BBC have just shown wall to wall tennis coverage can't help either. But I understand why they don't show it. If I wasn't a tennis fan, I don't think I'd be particularly interested in Olympic tennis and would rather watch other stuff.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:16 PM BST
anyway, BBC's coverage makes sense. My point is more if you're in a country that prioritize sports that you didn't grow up with, the Olympics is pretty lame to watch.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:19 PM BST
they showed Nishi/Djoko, Svito/Marketa live in their entirety (and maybe Bencic/Ryba, I was asleep for it) on the main Swedish Olympic channel today.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:19 PM BST
To you what is the Olympics about though?

To me I would say #1 Track and Field and #2 Swimming, not sure what next, but big gap to whatever's next.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:20 PM BST
I guess beyond that I see the Olympics as a platform for sports that otherwise have no platform (so eg. taekwondo), as it's those athletes time to shine who otherwise get no time to shine.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:21 PM BST
not a big fan of swimming myself unless Swedes are doing well, but those are the big two yes.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:22 PM BST
Gymnastics might be #3. It's highlighted by lots of historical moments at Olympics over the years.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:25 PM BST
You haven't actually mentioned what I consider the biggest dross that we love to show in this country because we win medals in it, dressage!
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:26 PM BST
oh dressage is the worst.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:28 PM BST
equestrian gets unproportionally big coverage in Sweden as well. I remember some major seethes from me when I was younger, there was only one channel, and they spent hours showing this.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:30 PM BST
men's football should also go. no point having a U23 tournament on the biggest sporing event of them all.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:31 PM BST
Dressage has to be the most posh upmarket drivel ever. Don't really see the sporting aspect, it's literally just a horse prancing around showing off ffs. There's no excitement from watching it, none.
Report n88uk July 29, 2021 1:32 PM BST
Can't imagine they ever scrap football just as it's the world's biggest sport, but the men's tournament is pointless as you say.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:45 PM BST
Beijing Winter Olympics only 6 months away. Very little discussion on that, if it will go ahead at all, if it will have crowds etc.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 29, 2021 1:49 PM BST
feels like China is doing worse than what they wanna admit and that's why they don't want to host international events as that will expose them. But that's just what I read into it.
Report jin_kazz July 29, 2021 8:18 PM BST
there are too many sports at OG
Report Giuseppe July 29, 2021 9:33 PM BST
only 4,600 deaths in China sam

nobody has handled this better than the Chinese Communist Party Cool
Report Giuseppe July 29, 2021 9:44 PM BST
equestrian belongs in the olympics

tennis, golf, football, rugby 7s Crazy, baseball Crazy do not
Report Giuseppe July 29, 2021 9:45 PM BST
sports like equestrian revolve around the olympics, they need it

same as fencing, wrestling

for basketball etc it's not a priority
Report n88uk July 30, 2021 1:43 AM BST
GB has 11 4th places this Olympics, which is 4 more than next nation (US), suggests we've probs got slightly unlucky so far.
Report n88uk July 30, 2021 2:44 AM BST

Jul 29, 2021 -- 7:49AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

feels like China is doing worse than what they wanna admit and that's why they don't want to host international events as that will expose them. But that's just what I read into it.

Think there is just mass paranoia.

In reality Beijing 2022 will definitely go ahead, too embarrassing on China if it doesn't, and they will care about how they look on the world stage.

Report n88uk July 30, 2021 8:45 AM BST
Have South Korea ever lost at archery?
Report n88uk July 30, 2021 8:46 AM BST
Or anyone from South Korea? They don't even drop sets if they're called that, let and out matches.
Report n88uk July 30, 2021 10:00 AM BST
Apparently a Swede trying to plot our downfall at women's football.
Report n88uk July 30, 2021 10:01 AM BST
Caramba not going to be happy though show GB women over Sweden women on BBC imo. Might get 2 min highlights of Sweden later if you're lucky (aka if GB win and play them next).
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 30, 2021 11:21 AM BST
Final to be played at 11:00 in the morning local time PlainPlain All to appease US TV.
Report Giuseppe July 30, 2021 2:10 PM BST
"Think there is just mass paranoia."

agreed, China is the one country in the world that has successfully stamped out covid

it's all down their communist system you see
Report Angela Rebecchi July 31, 2021 12:21 AM BST
GB cruising in the Mixed Triathlon
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 11:58 AM BST
Bromell mugging.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 12:01 PM BST
Amazing scenes with Gayle in the long jump.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 1:25 PM BST
Sweden GOATing at discus.
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 1:52 PM BST
10.6 OMG
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 1:53 PM BST
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 1:53 PM BST
in headwind.
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 3:00 PM BST
Wise must be so proud of his fav woman Elaine Thompson
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 3:03 PM BST
Lol at Trayvon Bromell also, was odds on for the 100m and barely got out of R1. Could be some great goods selling if he wins easily tomorrow.
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 3:03 PM BST

Jul 31, 2021 -- 7:25AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

Sweden GOATing at discus.

"I am the Swedish Viking" must be a line from your sleep.

Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 5:19 PM BST
Pretty close between Sweden and GB when you remove all the nonsensical sports and disciplines.
Sweden 1-1-0
GB 1-5-3

SWE
Gold
Athletics, Discus - Daniel Ståhl
Silver
Athletics, Discus - Simon Pettersson

GB
Gold
Swimming: Men’s 200m Freestyle – Tom Dean
Silver
Rowing: Men’s Quadruple Sculls
Swimming: Men’s 200m Freestyle – Duncan Scott
Swimming: Men’s 200m Individual Medley – Duncan Scott
Triathlon: Men’s Individual – Alex Yee
Triathlon: Women’s Individual – Georgia Taylor-Brown
Bronze
Gymnastics: Women’s Team Final
Judo: Women -52 kg Contest – Chelsie Giles
Trampoline Gymnastics: Women – Bryony Page
Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 5:25 PM BST
Germany 0-1-4
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 9:12 PM BST

Jul 31, 2021 -- 11:19AM, SamuelMertensBertens wrote:

Pretty close between Sweden and GB when you remove all the nonsensical sports and disciplines.Sweden 1-1-0GB 1-5-3SWEGoldAthletics, Discus - Daniel StåhlSilverAthletics, Discus - Simon PetterssonGBGoldSwimming: Men’s 200m Freestyle – Tom DeanSilverRowing: Men’s Quadruple ScullsSwimming: Men’s 200m Freestyle – Duncan ScottSwimming: Men’s 200m Individual Medley – Duncan ScottTriathlon: Men’s Individual – Alex YeeTriathlon: Women’s Individual – Georgia Taylor-BrownBronzeGymnastics: Women’s Team FinalJudo: Women -52 kg Contest – Chelsie GilesTrampoline Gymnastics: Women – Bryony Page

Maybe Sweden should just be better at "nonsensical sports and disciplines".

Not convinced discus is really any better than say breaststroke or taekwondo either. Both are same principle.

Report SamuelMertensBertens July 31, 2021 9:25 PM BST
Maybe Sweden should just be better at "nonsensical sports and disciplines".

we don't have the resources to invest in weak sports that are easy to vulture, ie gets you as many medals as possible per invested capital.
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 11:37 PM BST
Sweden is a rich country. Though yer it likely doesn't invest as much as we do.
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 11:41 PM BST
I'm not any of our investment really is designed to actually vulture easy medals. Eg. if you take like the velodrome cycling, that's just because that stuff exploded here years ago and lots of the teams are sponsored by UK brands. Not sure you can really claim any swimming event is vultured, swimming is competitive, albeit biased towards nations with heavy resources which are needed by definition (ie. Olympic sized pools). Other things we've won like BMX and off road cycling have no investment in first place, the woman who won the BMX gold the other day had to get crowd funded to even get to Tokyo.
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 11:44 PM BST
Stuff like taekwondo, not really sure how popular martial arts are in other countries, but they're pretty popular here. We've only won 2 golds ever in taekwondo anyway, both by same person. Also seems a wide range of nations that compete in first place.
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 11:50 PM BST
Arguably where it pays off is in all these relays, generally we're a reasonably good relay nation over the years, because relays are a numbers game. Going to be much harder for Sweden for example to have 4 good people at 1 discipline. Though of course USA benefit from this even more than GB.

Kindly the Olympics keeps adding more relays too.
Report n88uk July 31, 2021 11:55 PM BST
Another thing is GB piles relatively far more into summer Olympics vs winter Olympics than most countries. Told you this before, but obviously in many countries the two Olympics are treated equally, in this country, the Olympics basically means summer, very little interest in winter Olympics, and much less funding for it as a result, hence why we don't really do much at it. Imagine this is especially relevant when you look at our Olympic performance vs a nation like Germany.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 1, 2021 9:15 AM BST
Tumaini Carayol @tumcarayol
·5h BMX (both racing and freestyle) might just be a top 4 Olympic sport.

ffs
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 11:49 AM BST
What a mug Trayvon Bromell
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 11:50 AM BST
Pommel horse, a true Olympic event Caramba.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 1, 2021 11:58 AM BST
lame sport, but I will allow it.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 1, 2021 12:00 PM BST
cool article in Swedish newspaper.
https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/a/368JoP/os-i-barncykel-ar-orattvist-mot-alla
behind paywall, but headline reads "Child bicycle Olympics is unfair on everyone."
child bicycle is of course BMX.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 1, 2021 12:12 PM BST
just to show I am fair Sweden won silver at sailing this morning which I won't count. Hobby for the upper class, not a sport.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 1, 2021 12:29 PM BST
tells you how badly doped the East Germans were when in 2021, with super shoes, better diet etc no one is still remotely close to those records.
But athletics is weird like that, plenty of records from forever ago are still standing, not just those the East German ones. For instance Bob Beamon's 8.90 from 1968 still the 2nd longest jump ever. And in men's high jump it was fairly common for a jumper to go over 2.40 in my childhood, these days it's extremely rare. Those results don't have a doping stink over them, but it makes you wonder.
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 9:31 PM BST
Anything standing that long is highly suspicious. Bob Beamon's jump was done at high altitude though which benefits jumping events.
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 9:40 PM BST
You can basically see which events benefited most from drugs, mostly HGH from records. So of course it's women, as HGH effects are greater on women, and events depending on power (notice how longer distance run records tend to have been in recent times).

The women actually likely get robbed of millions of dollars in reality, as they have no chance of breaking world records. This event is the first time in my entire lifetime that the 100m record actually seems in reach that I could see it broken in my lifetime, but even then how much is lost from yesterday's time should have been recognised as a world record. Not only was Flo-Jo a blatant cheat, the 100m record was also set in like +5m/s wind but the wind gun wasn't working. Elaine Thompson was running into a headwind yesterday. Same is also true for 400m, a record for many, many years that seemed impossible and unobtainable, they got within like half a second in Doha 2 years ago didn't they, which again makes you think it could be done, but again these already should be world records. Going to guess something like the throwing events are the absolute worst.
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 9:45 PM BST
Also it's the East Germans and the like that have the reputation for cheating, but in reality far more than them were cheating in like the 1980s. You can see reputation difference when you look at someone like Carl Lewis, someone generally seen as untainted legend by the public, but in reality was almost certainly cheating. Someone like Ben Johnson has a point when he says ok he was cheating in 1988, but they only stripped him, what about the 100 other cheats?

In fact is there like any top US athlete from around 1988 that it isn't widely believed was cheating today? Flo-Jo, Carl Lewis, Jackie Joyner-Kersee all the evidence suggests they almost certainly were. Latter would actually affect your fav of course, as I imagine Carolina Kluft almost certainly should actually hold the heptathlon world record.
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 9:49 PM BST
Would have been cool if they actually saved samples from these events in the 1980s.
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 9:49 PM BST
Don't think that was happening until the 2000s though.
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 9:53 PM BST
I actually imagine in the 1980s the relatively cleaner events were the longer distance stuff too. I'm sure they had stuff in the 1980s for stamina, but most the drugs we know of were about boosting muscle mass and power, things not particularly helpful over long distances, not sure EPO was really a thing until the 90s.
Report n88uk August 1, 2021 9:56 PM BST
Talking of events where doping helps the most, women's shot put looks a good candidate:

https://www.worldathletics.org/records/all-time-toplists/throws/shot-put/outdoor/women/senior?regionType=world&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true&firstDay=1900-01-01&lastDay=2021-08-01

You have to go to #42 on the list to find a throw in recent history.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 1, 2021 10:29 PM BST
The problem with resetting records is that you screw over those who didn't cheat to get them.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 1, 2021 10:36 PM BST
I looked at men's high jump. Results have picked up in recent years with plenty of jumpers over 2.40 so I was wrong on that. There was a dip in results for the longest time before that though.
That shared victory today was big muggery btw.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 2, 2021 11:11 AM BST
BOOM! US out!
Report n88uk August 2, 2021 11:22 AM BST
About time they didn't get away with looking rubbish.
Report n88uk August 2, 2021 11:34 AM BST
Elaine Thompson looks unreal in the 200m.
Report n88uk August 2, 2021 11:35 AM BST
Gabby Thomas another US fav flop.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 2, 2021 5:19 PM BST
Woah, this US female weightlifter (Robles) has the readest face I've ever seen.
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 2, 2021 6:20 PM BST
very close between China and US in most golds. Was 1.10 US pre Olympics.
Report Angela Rebecchi August 2, 2021 8:21 PM BST
USA touched over 4.0 as well
Report SamuelMertensBertens August 3, 2021 4:23 AM BST
that 400m hurdles final was madness!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com