Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lolek123
22 Jan 20 01:05
| Topic/replies: 6 | Blogger: lolek123's blog
Does betfair realize that this will be just another nail in the casket? Do you see these empty markets and vacuum cleaners? Last year, using a 5 second delay after 1 set, three times more money was traded than this year. Why? Because none of us has protection against courtsiders. Deliberately slowing down streams whilst shortening the submission delay appears to be a very odd strategy. A 3-second bet delay no longer protects against courts or APIs using results. 3 seconds will not improve dynamics (this can be seen in empty markets), but the main problem is (and betfair knows this) most users have more than 3 seconds delay from getting the result. If anyone was to benefit from it, then only those who already have an advantage over us (courtsiders) will now have even more. Betfair, how are we to trade in empty markets now? We have no protection against anyone. Start of match - traded 100k. End of 1 set - traded 160k. This is AO, not ITF. That's funny. Sorry for my english.
Pause Switch to Standard View Australian Open markets and a 3...
Show More
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 22, 2020 7:51 AM GMT
Aussie Open first week often have poor liquidity because of the time zone and so many matches being played at the same time, but yes these changes are a concern.
Report Nick Knatterton January 22, 2020 9:29 AM GMT
All the serious punters are anyway using these days the Asian exchange (invitation only) or P1nnacle. P1nnacle has often much bigger limits on live tennis than what you can get here.

It is just courtsiders and bots left here. Sad really when you think what kind of potential exhange has.
Report bobweenit January 22, 2020 12:14 PM GMT
Asian exchange? and British punters cant use pinnacle so your speaking pish
Report Darlo Bantam January 22, 2020 5:16 PM GMT
The shorting the betting delay the closer I'm betting to a live market, a fairer market and to the streams available. I'd choose for a 1 second betting delay if the options were there. Clearly each to their own.
Report Darlo Bantam January 22, 2020 5:16 PM GMT
*shorter
Report wisewords January 22, 2020 5:26 PM GMT
If there's a short delay, like 1 or 2 seconds, the courtsiders will hammer the market. the see what happens in real time, and can then fire a bet into the market within 2 seconds. that means someone watching on a stream will be waiting another 7 seconds before the point ends on the stream. it's pretty clear that you're going to get punished badly by courtsiders with this short delay
Report wisewords January 22, 2020 5:26 PM GMT
they* see what happens in real time
Report Darlo Bantam January 22, 2020 7:05 PM GMT
Instead during a 5-second bet delay, a courtsider can see what's happening while my bet and anyone else is waiting in the ether and you can't do anything about it, and you still get scooped up. I'm not a courtsider but I get far more options with a short delay. Golf has not suffered because of a 1-second bet delay. 3 seconds is standard in darts, a similar sport (if not even faster) than tennis. And football has better liquidity in markets with shorter delays.

Suppose each of us has different opinions on this.
Report wisewords January 22, 2020 7:29 PM GMT
5 second delay means the courtsider has to wait 5 seconds for his bet to hit the market. the longer the delay the worse it is for the courtsider.
Report wisewords January 22, 2020 7:30 PM GMT
darts is way faster than tennis also.
Report Darlo Bantam January 22, 2020 10:15 PM GMT
Courtsiders don't care about that delay. They're already way ahead. With the delay in the streams, that 5 seconds to me at home is massive. It means no betting between points any more.

Like I say, we clearly all have different opinions on this, but I congratulate Betfair on reducing the delay and wish they'd go further.
Report wisewords January 22, 2020 10:37 PM GMT
With a very short delay, you're basically begging to be picked off by courtsiders and botd
Report wisewords January 22, 2020 10:37 PM GMT
bots* I have no idea why you'd want that
Report lolek123 January 23, 2020 12:28 AM GMT
Why do you compare other sports with tennis? When we waited 5 seconds for the courtsiders bet, they already had an advantage over us, now they have even greater advantage. Don't you understand that? The fiction is that poor turnover is the result of a large number of matches. Similarly, a year ago it was quite different. Trading between points is over, everyone will stop playing because of these stupid ideas.
Report SamuelMertensBertens January 23, 2020 12:59 AM GMT
It's good to have a discussion on this, but we already have a thread:
https://community.betfair.com/tennis/go/thread/view/94186/31544335/3-second-delay#flvWelcomeHeader
No point in having two threads about the same thing imo.
Report Darlo Bantam January 23, 2020 10:31 AM GMT

Jan 22, 2020 -- 4:37PM, wisewords wrote:

With a very short delay, you're basically begging to be picked off by courtsiders and botd

You don't beat courtsiders by increasing the bet delay (that just penalises anyone, but courtsiders less). You make it fairer by reducing both bet delay and especially the stream delay.

Report wisewords January 23, 2020 7:42 PM GMT
Yeah why not go a step further and have totally 100% live streams and no bet delay at all. You can sort that out for us, yeah Darlo?
Report Angela Rebecchi January 23, 2020 7:51 PM GMT
15 years ago when we were watching Grosjean and Santoro on the streams I assumed we would have nigh on real time streams and no delay. Incredible to think we have gone backwards in that time. Money and corruption hey.
Report lolek123 January 24, 2020 2:41 AM GMT
betfair bot delay 0, its crazy
Report bobweenit January 24, 2020 12:53 PM GMT
Backed fed 2.7s heavy here
Report bobweenit January 24, 2020 12:54 PM GMT
a brake down early in the 5th
Report bobweenit January 24, 2020 12:58 PM GMT
2 break back points but Mill see's them off
Report bobweenit January 24, 2020 12:59 PM GMT
A 3 rd here Roger lad let's take it
Report bobweenit January 24, 2020 12:59 PM GMT
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM THIS FRED IS ON FIRE