Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
northanlite
27 Jun 18 21:36
| Topic/replies: 13,491 | Blogger: northanlite's blog
Jay Clarke: Racist tweets no longer a surprise, says Wimbledon debutant.

The world number 236, 19, will make his Grand Slam debut at Wimbledon next week after being handed a wildcard.

Clarke, who faces fellow Briton Cameron Norrie in the last 16 of the Nature Valley International on Wednesday, says he has become accustomed to the abuse.

"It's sad, but I have normalised it," Clarke told BBC Radio Derby.

"It's not really a surprise any more. It's more of a surprise when I don't get it."

Clarke secured his first win on the ATP Tour when he beat American world number 58 Ryan Harrison 6-4 6-1 at Eastbourne on Monday.

He was given a lucky loser spot after a 6-7 6-4 6-4 defeat by Roberto Quiroz in the qualifiers.

"I got something like 15 [abusive messages] after losing that tight match," he added.

"It's happened a few times now so I just block them and move on with my life. They are sad people."

Is this any different to Andy Murray getting anti Scottish abuse or Kyle Edmund getting the born in South Africa stuff?

Why does tennis seem to attract this sort of hate?
Pause Switch to Standard View This is a bit sad but.............
Show More
Report morrillo June 27, 2018 11:20 PM BST
I think most tennis players get abuse from people when they lose. I think tennis attracts it more since players can have match points and lose due to nerves.
Report mesmerised June 27, 2018 11:30 PM BST
Tennis players have the rest of their lives to faff about with social media, but a) it's too socially awkward for the young one's not to be using it and b) there's pressure from whatever sponsors they do have to promote themselves, you should as a professional athlete, never worry about what anyone else is doing and just concentrate on yourself, you can't go wrong, instead you have the likes of Watson breaking down in press conferences because some degenerate d1ckhead gambler has abused her for losing, Sloane crying because Serena unfollowed her and many others wasting precious mental energy on reading them, fighting them, thinking about before eventually blocking them. What's the point. Social media should be controlled by an agent if it must be used, you just know the likes of Federer and Nadal do that because they post the most bog standard, mind numbingly boring tweets about nothing and the sheep save and retweet crap in the thousands.

I have more respect for those that don't use it, but they are few and far between.

Kind Regards.
Report northanlite June 27, 2018 11:57 PM BST
it is odd how a sport that seems fairly non controversial seems to attract nasty wee trolls by the bucket load
Report dlarssonf June 28, 2018 8:03 AM BST
but it's not only tennis really , it's not even just sport - twitter is full of hate and people full of their own importance who think their opinion is better than anybody's else when in fact in the real world they wouldn't be given the time of day.

I agree though the hate and abuse -  it's pathetic
Report aaronh June 28, 2018 8:14 AM BST

Is this any different to Andy Murray getting anti Scottish abuse or Kyle Edmund getting the born in South Africa stuff?

Yes, mostly because those tweets to Clarke are from angry gamblers with racism added in. The stuff to Edmund, Murray are not.

See Durmaz of Sweden after the Germany match as a similar thing.
Report northanlite June 28, 2018 8:51 AM BST
??? much of the abuse he has had on twitter had FA to do with gambling. it was a genuine question as some
people will just pick up the nearest stick to hit someone with so how genuinely racist it is can be difficult
to judge. i'm always surprised at how much of this goes on in tennis tho.
some of the woman players get absolutely vile abuse
Report mesmerised June 28, 2018 9:17 AM BST
eh? what makes you think it's nothing to do with gambling,

I got something like 15 [abusive messages] after losing that tight match

That says it does, but most of them are not going to declare they are gamblers, but anyone going out of their way to tweet racist abuse straight after a match to a barely known tennis player, is highly likely because they've lost money betting on him, and that's how they make themselves feel better by attacking him.
Report northanlite June 28, 2018 9:25 AM BST
you think they were all to do with gambling? also it was not that match in isolation.
Report mesmerised June 28, 2018 9:51 AM BST
anyone that tweets racist abuse is obviously someone of low intelligence and racist but it stands to reason going out of your way to racially abuse the world number 236 who most people in in home town are yet to be familiar with, straight after he's lost a match, means they are no doubt gamblers taking their frustrations out on him, but it happens to many WTA players in a sexist form as well. It's not like he's big news or everyone knows who he is, if he became a big star and was reeving random racist messages out of competition than that would be more plausible. But most of the abuse is timed straight after a match.
Report SabineIsGOAT June 28, 2018 12:03 PM BST

Jun 28, 2018 -- 10:25AM, northanlite wrote:

you think they were all to do with gambling? also it was not that match in isolation.

of course most of the abuse tennis players get is from angry gamblers

Report northanlite June 28, 2018 12:57 PM BST
do you know this because you post most of it? Devil
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com