Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
nofx
09 Jun 18 15:35
| Topic/replies: 97,160 | Blogger: nofx's blog

Love
LoveLove
LoveLoveLove
LoveLoveLoveLove
LoveLoveLoveLoveLove
LoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLove
LoveLoveLoveLoveLove
LoveLoveLoveLove
LoveLoveLove
LoveLove
Love
Pause Switch to Standard View SIMONA HALEP GRAND SLAM WINNER!!
Show More
Report nofx June 9, 2018 4:35 PM BST
Excited
Report caramba June 9, 2018 4:36 PM BST
that's the PLAY (your heart smileys in opening post)
Report mesmerised June 9, 2018 5:55 PM BST
Now she deserves the slam. Well done Simona.
Report nofx July 13, 2019 3:44 PM BST
Wimbledon!! (That's on grass!) Happy
Report john42 July 13, 2019 4:29 PM BST
Amazing performance,firstly I hate Williams and im certainly not a halep fan but she was stunning today.
Sick of listening to bbc saying it was down to williams lack of practice,nerves,unforced errors etc,they werent unforced at all,there was someone on the other side of the net who not only never gave up,but after running the ball down time and time again still managed to play some breathtaking passing shots.
This was one of the most impressive displays of tennis ive seen,the girl gave everything and i think she desrves far more credit than shes getting,well done simona Halep.
Report aaronh July 13, 2019 5:08 PM BST
who are these caramba and mesmerised guys
Report johnnyrant July 14, 2019 8:54 AM BST
Halep destroyed her, just as Kerber did last year. But rest assured, Simona can look forward to being shoved out to Court 2 to play one of her matches as defending champion next year - same as Kerber this year, & Muguruza the year before, while Serena will be booked in for the showcourts for every round. The Wimbledon committee are as biased as the BBC.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 14, 2019 10:41 AM BST
the showcourts at every grand slam are more about public interest, Serena is a name that transcends the sport and will always generate a much bigger interest level than Halep which is why she plays there, and why Nadal was given preference over Barty this year even though she had just won the French and was World Number 1. It's about maximising revenue/selling tickets/creating better atmospheres/TV viewership interest, it is true however many of these bigger names end up in non events when they steamroll their opponents however but based on their careers they have earned the right to be there and it wouldn't be right to put someone like Serena 7 time Wimbledon Champion on court 2. There are only 6 active tennis players who really command show courts, Serena/Venus/Sharapova/Novak/Nadal/Federer + a fit Murray, it's nothing personal against Halep or biasm towards Serena, just the way the cookie crumbles in tennis, happens at smaller events too not just WimbledonSilly
Report johnnyrant July 14, 2019 11:14 AM BST
It doesn't merit automatically being put on the showcourts due to past records. Who wants to watch Serena or Federer steamroll inferior opponents? I don't think genuine tennis fans do. It's like when they put Kerber vs Muguruza on Court 2 a few years back - it was teed up to be a spellbinding encounter & it was, but very few people saw it.

All they are doing is pandering to once-a-year tennis fans. They really shouldn't be questioning Nadal re. his match scheduled on Centre and Barty on 2. Nadal is world no2 & made the sf last year. The question would be more appropriately posed to Serena or Federer. Rafa was also hard done by this year not being seeded 2. Again, favouritism shown towards Federer by the Wimbledon committee.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 14, 2019 12:10 PM BST
Nadal being seeded 3rd when ranked 2nd makes sense because it reflects grass court form, it wouldn't make sense seeding him 2nd based largely on clay or hard court form, it's not only something the other slams should also do, but given Federer, as 2nd seed, beat Nadal as 3rd seed, it justifies it, Federer is a better grass court player.

Showcourts are not for the best matches it's about the biggest audiences in the stadium and watching at home, with careers like Nadal and Serena have had they also deserve the platform, the tournaments job is to appeal to the masses, Nadal and Serena on centre court regardless of recent runs, does that, nobody know who Barty is or has that much affection for Kerber/Muguruza outside of tennis, which is what dictates order of play on showcourts, I agree that it's not entirely fair but the tournament is given the majority of the public what they want, the big names on the big courts.

Re public interest as earlier, Cori Gauff played her 2nd and 3rd round opponets on the showcourts when neither her or her opponents had acheived much in their careers slam wise, but because she was 15 and had beaten Venus, being primed for stardom, gained untold news coverage and column inches, that newfound public interest warrented a showcourt match even though career wise they were more deserving matches/players, all slams operate the same way and other tournaments, they never put Federer/Nadal/Serena on small courts regardless of form, it's them that sells the tickets. I personally would rather watch Kerber/Garbine than Serena v lowly ranked Italian player, but her name alone attracts more media and casual fans, casuals making up most of the numbers.
Report nofx July 14, 2019 12:39 PM BST
Can everyone not here to hallow Simona kindly get the fuck out of my celebration thread
Report nofx July 14, 2019 12:39 PM BST

Jul 13, 2019 -- 11:08AM, aaronh wrote:

who are these caramba and mesmerised guys

doesn't ring any bells

when i looked for this thread i first thought posts were missing from it, then i remembered them wretched couple of finals :/

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com