Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
09 Jun 18 00:11
| Topic/replies: 28,959 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
Halep too short, she struggles against players of Sloane's defensive (or build up play, however you chose to look at it) game, such as your Wozniacki's, Radwanska's and Svitolina's, winner will come down to who makes the least unforced errors.

It should be close, I can't see any train. Halep probably in 3. If she loses it's probably the PONR in her slam career.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 504
By:
mesmerised
When: 09 Jun 18 00:51
Sloane has won 8/8 finals it should be pointed out, personally I would also dismiss the last 2 times they met, in Washington in August she had just come back from injury and it was a her second match in 12 months, first on a hard court, second loss to Halep was 2-3 weeks later, then she won the US Open, then it was real case of after the Lord Mayor's show, comes the dustcart performances on the Asian Swing, back to her best winning Miami.

The extra time you get on clay suits her, as do slow hard courts, but I'll still stick with Halep in 3.
By:
mesmerised
When: 09 Jun 18 00:51
6/6 finals.
By:
morrillo
When: 09 Jun 18 01:41
Sloane is a goat in finals. She's like a female wawrinka. I can't see her winning tho and then I can. Halep wants this so bad I think she'll do it just about. Everyone wants halep to finally break the seal and win a GS.  There will be breaks for sure. Halep in 3
By:
lurka
When: 09 Jun 18 10:21
Agree Halep is too low. I wouldn't have her at 1.41 to have the mental strength to win this match and she can still lose it even if she doesn't get nervy and  snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if she does.

Also agree re the errors. Halep had an increase in UE levels against Kerber and Muguruza and Sloane is the type of player who gets balls back, is hard to hit winners against and brings out the errors in aggressive opponents. Halep was reliant on UEs in her last 2 matches despite the media saying how brilliantly she played. Between winners and UEs she gave Kerber 20 points and Kerber gave her 29 back, Muguruza gave her 17 points and she gave 9 back. She is in trouble if she does that against Sloane unless Sloane does the same and she hasn't in any of her matches so far.

Halep has lost her last 6 finals at Premier and Grand Slam level. If she doesn't get nervy and doesn't give many points away between winners and UEs she will win it but I'm not having her at 1.41 to do that. It's nervy player v cool, calm player, Slam virgin v Slam winner, Finals mug v Finals Goat.

The value has to be on Sloane and you can't just assume that Halep will turn up and play well given her history. Put it this way -  you'll feel like a complete mug backing Halep 1.41 if she plays the occasion yet again and she won't have her coach to call on to help her out and calm her down if things aren't going well. Even if she plays brilliantly for a set and a half the wheels could still come off.
By:
Platini
When: 09 Jun 18 11:46
Halep wins if she can keep her bottle firmly in its place. She has managed that so far, but this is a grand slam final, completely different level of test for her nerve. Her whole "just another game, the result doesn't mater" interview yesterday screams out how desperate she is to get over the line, and she is trying the old reverse psychology trick.

Sloane Stephens is something of an enigma, seems so inconsistent during the season, losing to mugs left right and centre, but maybe she just doesn't get up for minor events. Yet she's a different animal in the majors, when she's fit, and she looks a much improved player since she came back from injury. Clearly loves the big ocassion and is already a slam winner and will not be under anything like same pressure as Halep to win here. I think being the underdog really suits her.

At current prices, I could never be backing Halep, and even if she starts well (like she usually does), I wouldn't trust her to maintain it. I think nerves will kick in at some point. Should be a few opportunities to trade in-play.
By:
mesmerised
When: 09 Jun 18 11:54
She also needs to knock these death stares and hand gestures towards her box on the head, it just feeds negativity, she even does it when she's a set and a break up, Murray has a long standing habit of doing the same and I always thought it harmed in the big occasions, you never see Nadal/Federer/Serena doing the same, they don't allow any negative energy to creep into their game as it can build up and weigh you down, they just get on with the next point. Darren Cahill is good for a philosophical quote when he's pulled onto court in tour level matches to gee her up when she needs it but she can't rely on that here, you're on your own.
By:
n88uk
When: 09 Jun 18 14:37
Stephens has an awful record vs Halep style players.
By:
mesmerised
When: 09 Jun 18 14:44
its not the same Stephens compared to years gone by though is it
By:
n88uk
When: 09 Jun 18 14:52
Anyway I think this is the day Halep gets over the line, but not getting involved in these prices.
By:
aaronh
When: 09 Jun 18 15:02
that sounds about right
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 09 Jun 18 15:04
hard to see halep losing this time!
By:
jin_kazz
When: 09 Jun 18 15:06
infamous last words
By:
stu
When: 09 Jun 18 15:09
Will the 'mental block' stop Halep though?
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:10
Sloane in straight sets.
By:
aaronh
When: 09 Jun 18 15:11
@vanderstraat
Henin "I really don't think even an overwhelming pro Simona crowd can upset Stephens, she is so composed. It's impressive"
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:12
Sloane is from the best coast afterall, aaron.
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:14
BEST COAST!
By:
caramba
When: 09 Jun 18 15:16
this match worthy of a carambaroar if it goes the right way I think.
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:17
wow, you must really dislike Sloane alot, caramba
By:
caramba
but I'm afraid it won't Cry
By:
mesmerised
Sloane's pushing starting to frustrate Simona
By:
caramba
When: 09 Jun 18 15:18
I'm probably the biggest Simona fan on here.
By:
caramba
When: 09 Jun 18 15:19
big game Excited
By:
aaronh
When: 09 Jun 18 15:19

Jun 9, 2018 -- 3:18PM, caramba wrote:

I'm probably the biggest Simona fan on here.

wheres noffy to Plain you

By:
alun2005
When: 09 Jun 18 15:20
Haley's won the last 4 between these two?  Without dropping a set?  Also won their 2 games on clay?
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:20
that was a big hold from Halep tbh. Sloane really put it on her and she managed to hold
By:
caramba
When: 09 Jun 18 15:22
Simona is my 3rd favorite WTA player.
By:
alun2005
When: 09 Jun 18 15:22
Afternoon WW

if only Queen Marion was on that court now. She'd beat both these mugs with one hand tied behind her beautiful derriere.
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:23
go on Sloane
By:
alun2005
When: 09 Jun 18 15:23
Have the Clinical Psychiatrists of the pundit box waxed lyrical yet on Halep's mental state?
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:24
good afternoon alun. Queen Marion can bask in the afterglow of her Wimbledon victory forever more. she doesn't need to degreade herself into making a comeback
By:
caramba
surprised market hasn't turned more pro Sloane.
By:
caramba
come back, Marion! we miss you on the courts.
By:
mesmerised
These endless array of loopy balls by Sloane are frustrating to watch, clever though, gives Simona no pace to play her game, which is why it'll come down to least UE's, Sloane already made a couple hitting loopers over the baseline
By:
caramba
When: 09 Jun 18 15:25
shot!
By:
alun2005
When: 09 Jun 18 15:25
I quite agree WW.

Marion is at the very top of Mt Olympus. She can't be seen to be at any point below.
By:
wisewords
When: 09 Jun 18 15:26
Sloane is grinding Simona down here. The physicality of this match is going to be brutal
By:
aaronh
@alex_macpherson
And I still don't know why Halep gets tagged as a "choker". I've seen Novotna, Mauresmo, Dementieva, Safina. Halep has not frozen or choked on anything like their scale!

interesting point in a way. is losing from a good position worse than just completely disappearing like the above listed or Sabine for example
By:
GRANTCKING
who is female commentator on eurosport?
Page 1 of 13  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 13 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo