Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
STUDYFORM
26 Aug 17 20:12
| Topic/replies: 20,558 | Blogger: STUDYFORM's blog
I just watched an ad on TV, to adopt a Polar bear.
Then thought. How does the money help?
It doesn't really. Not in any really important, vital, meaningful way.
Yet the bosses of the charity (WWF) like so many others earns bundles from it.

A cap of £40,000 a year for ANYONE working for ANY charity should be enforced.

I have moaned about this subject before.
Charities are becoming big business and we should question how much real charity and true need to help is involved.
Pause Switch to Standard View Charities - Something should be done
Show More
Report STUDYFORM August 26, 2017 9:13 PM BST
Whoops,
wrong forum, muppet.
Report mesmerised August 26, 2017 9:41 PM BST
This is why I don't post in forums like chit chat, I could never think up something this interesting to talk about Laugh

In all seriousness, this is the reason they give as to what it is they actually do...

ADOPT A POLAR BEAR
Magnificent polar bears depend on Arctic sea ice to hunt and raise their young. But the ice is shrinking.
By helping protect polar bears you’re helping to make sure the Arctic food chain stays healthy – for the benefit of wildlife and people in and beyond the Arctic. By 2050, polar bear numbers may decline by 30% due to the rapid loss of sea ice.

CHOOSE A MONTHLY AMOUNT
£10
£8
£5
£

Other
ADOPT NOW  »

THIS IS A GIFT
Prefer a one-off payment?
CHOOSE A ONE-OFF PAYMENT
£120
£96
£60
£

Other
ADOPT NOW  »

THIS IS A GIFT
Your money could go further if you pay by Direct Debit: this supports our long-term planning and helps to keep our administration costs down.

Prefer a monthly amount?
YOUR ADOPTION REALLY HELPS
Animal adoptions like yours give a huge boost to our work. They not only help to fund our work with local communities to reduce human-bear conflict, and projects to reduce the impacts of climate change, but also fund our other vital work around the world.

PROTECT THESE INCREDIBLE ANIMALS AND RECEIVE:

WWF
CUDDLY TOY

An optional soft toy to love forever.

WWF
REGULAR UPDATES

Both Wild World and My Polar Bears magazines will keep you up-to-date three times a year.

WWF
FACT PACK

Packed with facts, bookmarks and stickers.

WWF
A WONDERFUL GIFT

Give a gift that will help protect the future of polar bears and their habitats.

WWF
Polar bears generally live and hunt alone, though they can be quite social. They mainly eat seals; polar bears have such a remarkable sense of smell that they can detect a seal swimming in the water – below a metre of compacted snow – up to a kilometre away.

THREATS
40%
SEA ICE DECLINE
IN 30 YEARS
CLIMATE CHANGE

Climate change is the single greatest threat to polar bears as they are uniquely adapted to live on sea ice, and that ice is disappearing.

OIL AND GAS EXPLORATION

As sea ice declines, the Arctic is opening up to oil and gas exploration and increased shipping which may affect the delicate balance of the Arctic ecosystem.

HUMAN BEAR CONFLICT

Hungry and curious polar bears may stray into villages, leading to conflict between people defending themselves and their families.

30%
PREDICTED DECLINE
BY 2050
POLLUTION

Toxic chemicals and pollution in the marine environment increase in toxicity as they move up the food chain - and polar bears are the top of the Arctic food chain.

HOW WE CAN HELP
We need to minimise the warming that’s melting the polar bear’s habitat: sea ice. To do this we’re working to help cut global greenhouse gas emissions and encourage the switch to renewable energy.

We work with communities across the Arctic to try and avoid them coming into conflict with polar bears. In northern Canada we’ve provided steel food storage containers so people can store their food outside without it attracting unwanted attention. Keeping some distance between polar bears and people is safer for all.

We fund research that aims to further our knowledge and understanding of polar bear populations, and how they could respond to changes in their environment.

Your adoption and support will help us:

conserve the Arctic region’s rich biodiversity
maintain a healthy Arctic environment with undisturbed ecosystems and healthy wildlife populations
raise awareness of the threats of climate change that we all face
fund our other essential work around the world
Report STUDYFORM August 26, 2017 9:52 PM BST
Sometimes, mesmerised, talking about other things can be a bit interesting.

Y'know like people used to do in pubs, family gatherings, even the bookies!

I already read what you c+p'd and more. Basically they'll use everyone's donation to send out some "free gifts", spend the rest on some tin shacks to keep the food in, in Canada.
Which doesn't really help the bears.
Also it will go toward their 'essential work'. As with all the charities you see advertised, looking at the accounts and seeing how much they pay their executives is always interesting!
I could go on, but as you say, this isn't chit chat and I don't want to drag you down with me.
Report mesmerised August 26, 2017 10:36 PM BST
pulling your leg, they also have a sense of humour down the pub.

The second they mentioned climate change as a reason to donate hard earned money, is the second anyone with any spare change should walk away. It is a cash cow the likes of Al Gore knows only too well.

One of the problems with well known charities is that their intentions can be very mendacious and deceptive, I don't believe any of them can be truly altruistic considering the full amount raised in charitable donations never reaches its intended target so you're partly contributing towards somebodies salary every time you donate, nobody at the top of these organisations is working for free. Organisations like Kick it out also find issues to push forward such as the Aluko situation, no witneses but it helps promote their name and they are seen to be doing something,  if there was no racism in football they'd be out of business. Then there is Mcmillan chArity, a charity that campaigns against cancer yet promotes coffee and cake mornings, cakes full of the added sugars that cause the cancers they are fighting. Could not make it up.

Kind Regards.
Report djwebby August 26, 2017 11:49 PM BST
I only give to charities where the staff are volunteers; after all that is the real meaning of charity.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com