Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
scandanavian_haven
01 Aug 17 23:49
| Topic/replies: 14,811 | Blogger: scandanavian_haven's blog
Andy Murray won ATP World Tour finals at O2
The ATP World Tour Finals will move from Sky Sports to Amazon in two years' time

Ben Rumsby
1 AUGUST 2017 • 5:08PM
There will be no elite tennis on Sky Sports for the first time since its launch after Amazon snatched the UK contract for the ATP World Tour from 2019.

Sky’s haemorrhaging of secondary sports rights ahead of the upcoming Premier League auction has continued, with Amazon Prime Video becoming the new home of men’s tennis outside the four grand slam tournaments in a £10 million-a-year deal.

For the first time since it took to the air in 1991, Sky will hold no rights of note to one of the world’s most popular sports.

The broadcaster axed its 25-year coverage of the US Open last year, bringing to an end one of its longest associations.

It is unclear whether the ATP World Tour Finals, staged at London’s O2 Arena, will disappear from the BBC - which has a contract for the event until the end of 2018 - as well as from Sky.

Amazon’s deal also covers Masters 1000 and Masters 500 tournaments from around the world, including those in Monte Carlo, Madrid, Paris, Miami, Indian Wells and Shanghai.

The move represents Amazon’s first major live sports rights deal outside the US, introducing a fourth major pay-TV player to the UK market alongside Sky, BT and Discovery/Eurosport.

Novak Djokovic Qatar Open
Events like the ATP Qatar Open will only be available on Amazon Prime Video from 2019
That may spark speculation it could challenge the former two broadcasters for Premier League football, although it remains to be seen whether that would fit its global business model.

Tuesday’s news follows Sky’s sport-specific re-branding of its channels, with tennis relegated to one of two mixed offerings.

The broadcaster also recently ended its 25-year coverage of golf’s US PGA Championship, the rights for which were picked up by the BBC, and is in danger of losing the rights to the Masters to BT Sport.

Sky announced a heavy fall in profits last week, with chief executive Jeremy Darroch revealing it had “walked away” from bidding for some sporting events.
Pause Switch to Standard View No elite tennis on Sky as Amazon...
Show More
Report lurka August 2, 2017 1:58 AM BST
amazon prime is a streaming service, so what does this mean for bookie streams? They are hardly going to be happy that you can stream for free on a bookie site. Sky obviously didn't mind as streams weren't really in competition. Amazon have paid a little more, perhaps to get full exclusive coverage and exclude bookie streams? Can't imagine the Amazon stream will be as fast as it doesn't need to be.

Could be very bad news for tennis traders.
Report caramba August 2, 2017 2:19 AM BST
all changes like these are worrying.
Report n88uk August 2, 2017 1:28 PM BST
It's no surprise this is happening. This was on the cards. Sky been gradually losing every fringe sport (ie. anything that isn't Premier League football) for years. Not picking up USO last year and getting rid of their tennis chief exec and merging the role with other sports shows tennis isn't a priority anymore.

I think this is bad for men's tennis in the UK. There's just no way tennis will have the same TV coverage in this country with this deal unless something changes in the broadcast rights between now and 2019 (this basically means losing Premier League rights to the likes of Amazon or Google as well), although Sky are declining, they are still the #1 pay TV broadcaster. I don't see how Amazon achieve the same coverage. Stuff like apps on TV is still very modern and I would guess majority aren't using this sort of stuff, so in effect you are taking away all access of men's tennis from people's TV sets. More importantly being hidden away on Amazon means you get no through traffic just flicking through the channels and landing on the tennis unless there's a major change in the broadcasting landscape between now and 2019.

ATP have taken a gamble here definitely. This is also going to coincide at some point soon after this date with a huge downturn in interest in their product in general with eventual retirements of the big 4. That means far less people will go out of their way to seek out the tennis, and they really need people to find their product rather than the other way around. I wonder if ATP see it that way though, as they always talk very brazen about their future at least in public. It won't surprise me if this hurts them massively though. I mean the effects can never be absolutely devastating, as they will always have Wimbledon to save the day and keep some interest in tennis, but I definitely see it hurting the interest in tennis in this country.

This won't affect bookie streams imo. Unless the deal has suddenly changed to exclusive which there's no mention of, nothing will change. They would have to pay way over the odds to get exclusive access like that as the bookies themselves are paying truckloads for the rights, and remember this isn't Premier League football where we're talking billions for rights, probably talking like £10m range. I also think you overestimate the influence. Lots of people get Amazon Prime free themselves. The majority of people wouldn't use bookmaker streams for one reason or other (not aware, too small screen, principle etc.) so it really doesn't eat into Amazon at all, I don't see this as being any different as it was for Sky. If anything all the free streams are far worse for Amazon streaming it than bookmakers offering a legit service.
Report n88uk August 2, 2017 1:31 PM BST
Also on a side note. The second part of this article is bizarre.

It talks about events like ATP Qatar may only be on Amazon from 2019. Doha is an ATP 250 event, this deal is only for ATP 500 and 1000, same as Sky was. Sky haven't shown the Doha pretty much ever, normally it's on Eurosport.
Report mafeking August 2, 2017 2:25 PM BST
might as well call it sky premier league. the massive overspend on that means they don't have much else left these days
Report The Bhoys August 5, 2017 1:02 PM BST
How will that work will we now have a subscription to amazon prime awell as sky sport, bt sport ect ect
Report The Bhoys August 5, 2017 1:02 PM BST
How will that work will we now have a subscription to amazon prime awell as sky sport, bt sport ect ect
Report dlarssonf August 5, 2017 3:11 PM BST
yep
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com