Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Biffo2010
04 Jul 19 22:17
| Topic/replies: 1,888 | Blogger: Biffo2010's blog
Im on at big prices , if he was to win the doubles here at Wimbledon what price would he drop to. Looked like career was over a few months ago. Maybe a good run in the US Open would see him get it
Pause Switch to Standard View Andy Murray for SPOTY
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 5, 2019 10:50 AM BST
why would he get selected for the short list if he won wimbledon doubles?

his brother never did
Report Biffo2010 July 8, 2019 1:42 AM BST
It would of helped had he won it , career looked over .
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 11, 2019 9:27 PM BST
find the right cricketer ....
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 11, 2019 9:35 PM BST
match winner to win the world cup, do well in the ashes , and beat the aussies

roy, root, capt morgan, bairstow, stokes, archer, ...woakes 1000 ?
Report Biffo2010 July 12, 2019 10:03 PM BST
Andy gone back over 100 after goin out of doubles.Just backed Geraint Thomas at 18
. Just above evens to win Tour De France , 18 looks huge
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 14, 2019 11:45 AM BST
i think thats a better bet.
Report VardonVoo. July 14, 2019 7:56 PM BST
Which cricketer is most likely to get shortlisted? Would the BBC be reluctant to put Stokes forward, given his history?
Report cruso July 14, 2019 11:53 PM BST
One horse book now...
Report timbuctooth July 15, 2019 1:40 AM BST
It`s a team game so he might well not even be nommed, and there`s five months for him to drift. Max red.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 18, 2019 12:33 PM BST
hes still got the ashes, as have the others.

going some to beat stokes this year, might need some late
night action to save the layers,

still the shorty got stuffed last year , by a cyclist.
Report VardonVoo. July 20, 2019 12:20 PM BST
Is there a chance Eng might get the Team award and/or Greatest Sporting Moment award?

This was last year's after Geraint Thomas clinched the individual prize:-

"England's gold medal-winning netballers have capped a memorable year with two awards at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year show.

The Roses were crowned Team of the Year after their historic Commonwealth Games triumph before also being awarded Greatest Sporting Moment of the Year.

Helen Housby scored in the final second to give England a 52-51 victory over favourites Australia at April's Games.

The Greatest Sporting Moment award is a new category voted for by the public.

Fans were asked to choose from five moments over the past 12 months that captured the nation's imagination.

England topped the poll ahead of four other shortlisted moments:

The England football team's World Cup penalty shootout win
Alastair Cook's farewell century for England's cricket team
Golfer Tiger Woods' first win in five years
Boxer Tyson Fury's fight-back to draw with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder"
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 21, 2019 12:12 PM BST
england for team award would take some bearing

the run out off last ball of super over will take some beating for golden moment

cant see it affecting stokes chances of spoty though.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 21, 2019 8:51 PM BST
rugby world cup might have its moments....
Report Meat Loaf July 28, 2019 7:11 PM BST
Will Ben Stokes make the shortlist of 6? Seems extremely short with the Ashes still to come
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 30, 2019 7:48 PM BST
ashes and world cup rugby to follow, difficult to see 6 bettering him winning the world cup...!

even if we lose the ashes he won the world cup,

maybe if wales ( or scotland) win rugby world cup a candidate to rival him will emerge
Report mafeking July 31, 2019 11:53 AM BST
it's a very weak year so far. other than england winning the world cup hardly any notable achievements in british sport. might struggle to find 6 strong contenders to fill out the short list
Report CLYDEBANK29 August 17, 2019 9:36 PM BST
What has Frankie Dettori done this year?
Report timbuctooth August 17, 2019 10:51 PM BST
Frightened the life out of those poor bookie chaps
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 18, 2019 3:20 PM BST
stokes adding to his highlites reel
Report CLYDEBANK29 August 18, 2019 6:16 PM BST
apart from that tim?  Any milestone or did he win the Derby or anything?
Report timbuctooth August 19, 2019 4:53 AM BST
No CB, no Derby, nor even an exceptional year in any way. He won four on the trot on Ladies Day recently, leading to the bookies refusing accumulators on him the next day and loads of publicity but, apart from that, nothing. If he was on the shortlist, he`s getting to the point where the odd voter might support him in recognition of his career, but there`s zero chance he`ll be shortlisted. Very easy max red.
Report Meat Loaf August 23, 2019 8:10 PM BST
Do we know if the BBC are sticking with just 6 nominations again (with at least two having to be female)?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 25, 2019 4:17 PM BST
well well , stokes at it again
Report Jim Duncan August 25, 2019 5:06 PM BST
took a chance, rode his luck, delivered...again!
Report VardonVoo. August 26, 2019 12:42 PM BST

Aug 23, 2019 -- 9:10PM, Meat Loaf wrote:

Do we know if the BBC are sticking with just 6 nominations again (with at least two having to be female)?

Minimum of two even if no females have been outstanding that year? #Equality over quality

What I'm wondering is if both Stokes and Archer are seen as key reasons for winning the Ashes (if England do go on to win, of course), would they load up with two cricketers in a field of only six, with therefore only two other male sportsmen?

Does anyone remember off-hand what Freddie Flintoff's odds were on SPOTY after the 2005 Ashes win?
I think Andy Murray may have been as short as 1.05 when he won Wimbledon the first time, but that's probably a bookie price.
It's a shame we haven't kept a thread going of historical SPOTY prices after the clinching event then shortly before the night of the award itself.

Report mafeking August 26, 2019 8:05 PM BST
murray might even have been 1.03 straight after winning wimbledon for the first time

who else is even vaguely in the frame at the moment ? not much else of note this year so far. couldn't say with any certainty anyone but stokes will even make the shortlist at this stage. hamilton maybe but almost a given he wins the championship every year at the moment
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 26, 2019 9:57 PM BST
stokes, archer, rory mcilroy, lewis hamilton?

rugby world cup and athletics world championships
yet to happen. us open tennis in play. ashes not finnished yet!
Report mafeking August 26, 2019 10:31 PM BST
dina asher smith might be in the frame if she wins the 100 or 200 at world championship but although a likely medallist don't think she's the favourite for either and she'll have more chance next year with it being the olympics

england, wales and ireland with some northern irish players all have live chances in the rugby world cup but one of them would surely have to win it to give stokes a run for his money. it's not like 2003 when england were obvious favourites from a fair way out and the likes jonny wilkinson and martin johnson were well known. doubt any of the players from those 3 sides register much on a national level to the average voter yet although that could change obviously
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 26, 2019 10:34 PM BST
welsh rugby is huge in wales, ....

somebody like george north would get huge backing
Report mafeking August 26, 2019 10:49 PM BST
i don't doubt that but england is what 15 times bigger than wales and stokes already has a world cup in his pocket
Report VardonVoo. August 27, 2019 12:26 AM BST
So can anyone remember the prices of any of the previous year's strong favourites immediately after their defining event and then months later? No guesses. I really can't imagine BF being 1.03 for Murray after Wimbledon if bookies were quoting higher. I thought maybe 1.10 to 1.2 perhaps? Some of you made or lost money so a few of you should be able to recall, like when Bez won CBB everyone remembers Kenzie being 1.14 on the night and Bez being 14:1 (but that was a surprise win, to be fair). Flintoff's odds haven't turned up in any Google searches so far - it's like a conspiracy!
Report timbuctooth August 27, 2019 2:38 AM BST
This is all I know;

2012 Wiggins was 6/4 directly after the Tour
2013 Murray 1.05 a few days before SPOTY
2014 Hamilton still 11/4 days after winning title, Rory having hit at least 1.13
2015 Murray 3.35 the morning after winning the Davis Cup
2016 Murray 7/4 a few weeks after Wimbledon
2017 Farah 10 after winning 10,000, 20+ after second in 5,000 (Some shrewdie getting 330 an hour before SPOTY show was quoted by bf in their ads the next day!)
2018 Thomas 3/1 the day after the Tour
Report timbuctooth August 27, 2019 3:21 AM BST
No, I know more;

Losing matched prices

1.09 Rory, (and 1.1 during the show!)

1.58 Jess
3.0 Hamilton
4.0 Froome
4.x McCoy
5.7 Fury
6.0 Sinfield
7.8 Farah

3.0 Vardy
3.05 Alastair Brownlee
3.05 Farah
4.8 Bale
4.4 AJ
5.4 Jess
6.0 Trott
6.4 Whitlock
7.0 Jason Kenny
6.2 Willett
8.6 Nick Skelton
9.6 Hamilton

1.1 AJ (350k at 1.15 or lower and 76k gubbed at 1.01 Top 3)
4.0 Konta
4.0 Murray
5.5 Farah
5.9 Defoe
6.4 Ben Ainslie
6.8 Hamilton
7.6 Laura Muir
8.2 Froome
9.6 Rose

1.01 Kane (6k)
3.15 AJ
4.0 Hamilton
4.9 Fury
5.6 Taylor
5.6 Asher Smith
6.0 Pickford
6.2 Ronnie
9.0 Cook
9.2 Yarnold
9.2 Elise Christie

Any more evidence needed to show that laying everything that moves, in every Specials market, is the easiest game to play on bf?

(All prices and info copyright ahorsewithnoname)
Report Jim Duncan August 27, 2019 10:46 AM BST
2014 1.09 Rory, (and 1.1 during the show!) - correct Tim, I had 1.09 matched on Rory after he won the USPGA.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 27, 2019 10:53 AM BST
darren clark was short when he got gubbed

but giggsy, famously, was 249/1

zara phillips was a decent price on the night
Report VardonVoo. August 27, 2019 3:12 PM BST
Great stuff guys! That list of losers is a real eye-opener.

Zara Phillips was a total surprise to most normal sport-loving blokes.
Mo Farah I got 80-1 on so that was a good year.
Giggs messed me up - I couldn't comprehend that one at all.
Chris Hoy did me well, I seem to recall.

We still don't have Murray's odds soon after Wimbledon 2013 and
Freddie Flintoff's 2005 odds journey remains particularly elusive, his being the most comparable to Stokes,
though I don't recall how strong his year was. This year seems pretty weak so far.
Report Asparagus Man August 28, 2019 9:03 AM BST
Flintoff was not backable on the night in 2005 - I don't recall how his odds shortened through the Ashes. I think Ellen MacArthur was favourite at one point this year pre Ashes, or even during.
Report Jim Duncan August 28, 2019 11:12 AM BST
Jenson Button was short odd-on in 2009 - about 1.50?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 7, 2019 11:29 PM BST
in a poor year......

Britain's Jamie Murray won a US Open title for the fourth successive year with a straight-sets triumph in the mixed doubles alongside American Bethanie Mattek-Sands.

The pair defended their title with a 6-2 6-3 win over top seeds Chan Hao-ching and Michael Venus.

Scot Murray, 33, also made history by becoming the first man in the Open era to win three successive mixed titles at Flushing Meadows.

It is his seventh Grand Slam victory.

"We played amazing, the whole two weeks," Murray said at the trophy presentation. "We've had so much fun on the court. I'm really, really, really happy to win again."
Report Jim Duncan September 7, 2019 11:42 PM BST
...lost in the semis of the mens doubles as well - not enough for a SPOTY nom though with a mx doubles win - had he won all 4 of the GS mens doubles, that would/should have been worthy of a nom, but not just a mx doubles win.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 8, 2019 9:40 PM BST
and ashes are lost, so latest exploits in vain?

lewis has a new rival in the grand prix to inject some interest.

mo wins 6th great north run.

all eyes on japan....
Report VardonVoo. October 8, 2019 5:08 PM BST
Apparently Ben Stokes put his wife in a choke-hold during an argument at a cricket award event.

All over twitter.

SPOTY briefly spiked to 3s but is still sub-evens at time of posting.

https://order-order.com/2019/10/08/ben-stokes-choked-wife/
Report VardonVoo. October 8, 2019 5:22 PM BST
Market easily spooked by possibly fake news. Hope there's more to come.
Report VardonVoo. October 8, 2019 7:41 PM BST
I wonder if the market will stay a bit edgy from now on with the worry of "No Stokes without fire"?
Report VardonVoo. October 8, 2019 8:24 PM BST
The mems on mumsnet aren't too happy:-

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3712415-Ben-Stokes-photos
Report timbuctooth October 8, 2019 9:08 PM BST
Had just about recovered my book from his WC heroics but, even with no more revelations, the market`s surely going to be very worried about hum being shortlisted; gotta be max red again
Report VardonVoo. October 8, 2019 11:03 PM BST
That's the bit that I wasn't sure about - it doesn't say in the selection rules that things outside sport can be taken into account but there must be the discretion not to nominate someone who was, say, discovered to be a paedo, or a fraudster, or, failing that, at least the ability to be able to present them in such a way that their chances of winning are diminished and thus not bringing the "brand" of SPOTY into disrepute.

Had another look at Mumsnet - some of them are really not buying the "messing about" line. They think the pics look like a genuine argument.
Report VardonVoo. October 8, 2019 11:17 PM BST
Now they've remembered about the video of him mocking Katie Price's disabled son Harvey and are saying he's a terrible role model for today's youth. Some are calling him a thug.

I've got a feeling this could run.
Report timbuctooth October 8, 2019 11:33 PM BST
Front page photos on all of tomorrow`s tabloids
Report VardonVoo. October 9, 2019 10:28 AM BST
Mumsnet deleted the thread saying "We don't think it's right to speculate on what happened".
Something doesn't seem quite right about this.

I wonder if anything else will surface.
Report stu October 9, 2019 10:43 AM BST
mumsnet discuss sport is what is getting me, lol Shocked

Do we think many mums actually vote in SPOTY I wonder?
Report Kauto SuperStar October 9, 2019 11:08 AM BST
I certainly wouldn't want to be backing Stokes at 1.4 at the moment.
Report VardonVoo. October 9, 2019 2:31 PM BST
What makes the wife's denial slightly less credible (and which seems to have been largely overlooked so far)
is her claim that they went for "a romantic McDonalds".
Report mach October 9, 2019 2:47 PM BST
Went to a chippy imo, he prefers things battered Sad
Report stu October 9, 2019 5:43 PM BST
Laugh
Report timbuctooth October 10, 2019 1:37 AM BST
Just after the pictures surfaced, Stokes hit at least 3,5, (reportedly 4.0 with BFSB), DAS being matched as low as 2.3, but she`s been matched at 2.14, which you`d have to assume was also yesterday. Why the alone took up all the slack, I have no idea.
Report VardonVoo. October 10, 2019 6:36 AM BST
KJT went from 40s+ to mid/high 20s at the same time.
Report VardonVoo. October 10, 2019 3:42 PM BST
"A dangerous way to show 'affection': Cricket hero Ben Stokes says it was just horseplay, but advice columnist BEL MOONEY argues that, however innocent, it sends a very troubling message"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7556411/Cricket-hero-Ben-Stokes-says-horseplay-BEL-MOONEY-says-sends-troubling-message.html
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 1, 2019 5:50 PM GMT
Get a few of them rugby lads added, just in case!
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 25, 2019 2:58 PM GMT
first 4 on shortlist

ben stokes
dina asher smith
raheem sterling
alun wyn jones

next name at 4 pm on bbc
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 25, 2019 3:20 PM GMT
stokes 1.22........cricket, north east, england
d a-smith 13....athletics, london, england, uk
sterling 23......football, manchester, england
awj 38......rugby ,wales,

kjt 75....athletics, liverpool, england, uk
lewis 36..motor racing, petrol heads, england, uk

big prices elsewhere
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 25, 2019 5:18 PM GMT
lewis on short list
Report Biffo2010 November 25, 2019 8:04 PM GMT
Is stokes a cert
Report timbuctooth November 25, 2019 8:39 PM GMT
On sporting achievement? Yes
With a BBC pc-driven agenda? No
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 25, 2019 11:24 PM GMT
with welsh vote no.

i was quite surprised to see alun nominated

i think hes got a squeak at it
Report kevinglass November 26, 2019 3:19 PM GMT
Alun Wyn Jones is really really popular in Wales.

The last few SPOTY's have not taken that many votes to win.

I'm on at 40's and 7/2 top 3, and happy with that.

Could easily do it.
Report stewarts rise November 27, 2019 6:03 PM GMT
Really hope they show his interview before the South African match, came across as a great bloke and a good family man. I backed AWJ for £20 at 46 just after start of World Cup and then had another £3 at 500 after they got beaten, definite over reaction layed at 1000 considering all his achievements already this year, hoping all the welsh campaign for him.
Report Jim Duncan December 3, 2019 7:12 PM GMT
I've asked BF for both forecast and tricast markets for SPOTY 2019 via Twitter DM - they've replied this afternoon saying:

"Hi again. We had this request looked into and unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there will be any offers on these types of markets. Apologies for any inconvenience."

Perhaps if others could also ask for these markets on Twitter, (perhaps not by DM), they might reconsider offering these forecast and tricast markets, which they've offered in the past.
Report Jim Duncan December 11, 2019 12:17 AM GMT
Alun Wyn Jones wins the Welsh Sports Personality of the Year (SPOTY) Award this evening with the Mens Rugby Team winning TOTY and Warren Gatland winning COTY. The Welsh are out in force for their Rugby heroes!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/50473614
Report VardonVoo. December 11, 2019 11:37 AM GMT
"it doesn't seem like there will be any offers on these types of markets"

They make it sound like they asked a bloke who asked another bloke who listened at the door and overheard a few words from a couple of traders chatting in adjacent cubicles whilst having a sh!t.

It really annoys me that BF never give a proper reason.
Report stewarts rise December 12, 2019 11:22 AM GMT
Anyones P/L on this market changed overnight, my small loss on Stokes has become a small win and my profits on the other 5 finalists have increased! Anyone know why this may be, didn't have any unmatched bets yesterday.Confused
Report timbuctooth December 12, 2019 7:52 PM GMT
Did it definitely only happen yesterday? They partially settled this market a week or two back, everybody`s reds/greens and balances changed then
Report timbuctooth December 12, 2019 7:56 PM GMT
^^^everybodies
Report bearcub December 13, 2019 5:58 PM GMT
You were right first time Plain
Report stewarts rise December 13, 2019 6:25 PM GMT
Was when i said, have had a £64 and some pence loss on him for ages and look at the betting everyday, now after yesterday morning when i looked have a £7.10 profit on him, had looked previous day.
Report timbuctooth December 13, 2019 8:53 PM GMT
bear; the more I look at it, the more I think both would be acceptable?
`The reds and greens of everybody` or `everybodies(pl) reds and greens`
Report bearcub December 13, 2019 9:39 PM GMT
I would spell the plural of everybody as everybody's

If a word isn't in my iphone predictive text it simply doesn't exist Cry
Report mach December 14, 2019 8:37 AM GMT
Punctuation is a bourgeois concept. you have had a lucky escape this time bear, you could  could have gone to the gulag.
Report VardonVoo. December 15, 2019 4:38 PM GMT
" Everybody " is already plural, same as " everyone ".
" Everybody's " refers to a singular thing or plural things that belong to "everybody".

The settlement thing is confusing at first but if you toggle the setting for "include settled bets" you'll see that your net position hasn't really changed. You get a credit or debit on your account and the opposite amount is added or subtracted from your still-open market position. Why they couldn't put something at the bottom of the partially settled market to say what amount has already been partially settled God only knows.
Report VardonVoo. December 15, 2019 4:42 PM GMT
Is there the slightest chance that the majority of viewers are non-cricket fans and simply remember Stokes for what was widely reported at the time as drunken thuggery?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 15, 2019 7:43 PM GMT
its possible your balances changed because your settings got changed

theres an option to show settled bets

from time to time this gets switched off or on by betfair and needs to be reset.
Report stewarts rise December 15, 2019 8:19 PM GMT
Just logged on and its reverted to what it was previously, thanks i'll have a look!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com