Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 873 comments are related to the topic:
some food for thought

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 22 of 22  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 873
By:
five leaves left
When: 19 Aug 18 22:27
The cabbage that is.

Generally agree about supplements. Most of them you just p1ss out. A, D and E can build up in the body though. Which is why I avoid Polar Bear liver
By:
BB 3rd Cousin twice removed
When: 19 Aug 18 22:28
Sorry. Correct H, it's vitamin A.

The point is we need some for health, but an overdose is harmful.
How do we know that a small amount of arsenic isn't healthy?
By:
five leaves left
When: 19 Aug 18 22:31
It could well be BB3. It's not appeared to harm the Indians and Chinese for thousands of years
By:
When: 19 Aug 18 22:33
indeed.
By:
five leaves left
When: 19 Aug 18 22:51
Even arsenic, the poison of choice for many fictional murderers, is now close to qualifying as a micronutrient in animals. It seems that arsenic has a role in the metabolism of the amino acid methionine and in gene silencing (Uthus, 2003). Other work suggests that it has a positive interaction with the more important micronutrient selenium (Zeng et al, 2005).

In fact, if arsenic is essential for humans, its recommended daily intake would be little different from selenium, which is so important that evolution incorporated it into the rare amino acid selenocysteine—the crucial component of the antioxidizing selenoproteins that help to repair other proteins from oxidative damage. The recommended dose of selenium is 40 μg per day, whereas extrapolations from mammalian studies suggest that humans might need between 12.5 μg and 25 μg of arsenic. This is, to some extent, academic; a normal diet will contain 12–50 μg of arsenic in most parts of the world, but it shows that arsenic—the famous poison—and selenium—one of the most widely studied elements in the dietary context—could well have almost identical levels of nutritional necessity and toxicity.
By:
Henry VIII
When: 20 Aug 18 09:48
I'd eat that. If quorn is alright, dunno about it. Processed meat eg sausage is often just cancer causing garbage. Important distinction to make for any meat eater.
By:
Henry VIII
When: 20 Aug 18 09:49
^ replying to "Mmm broccoli and kale Love  I had a whole cabbage with quorn sausages and mash yesterday (which is full of arsenic too)".
By:
CLYDEBANK29
When: 20 Aug 18 11:15
Almonds contain cyanide.  Just don't eat in excess and don't eat wild ones.  A handful of them and you are brown bread.

Biggest killer is obesity, so eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and not too much sugar and carbs so that you don't pile on the pounds
By:
five leaves left
When: 20 Aug 18 13:09
I have a handful of almonds every day Shocked Well half a dozen. I only have small hands. Some interesting studies have shown that they're excellent at lowering bad cholesterol. As good as statins in many cases. Maybe it's the cyanide Grin

As for quorn H. All you meet eaters will be have a right laugh if does turn out to be not to great for you. I try not to eat too much and get my protein from nuts, seeds, pulses and grains instead
By:
bearcub
When: 20 Aug 18 14:59
Are you Alex Booker Confused
By:
mach
When: 20 Aug 18 16:35
For my diet see McDonald's wrap of the day  menu , with a double cheese burger thrown in for good measure.
By:
bearcub
When: 20 Aug 18 18:31
Hems is worried about this rice thing

he's had 4 toffee Crisps already today Sad
By:
five leaves left
When: 20 Aug 18 18:49
Laugh
By:
sofiakenny
When: 20 Aug 18 20:11
I miss my hemsLoveSad
By:
Henry VIII
When: 20 Aug 18 22:07

Aug 20, 2018 -- 11:15AM, CLYDEBANK29 wrote:

Almonds contain cyanide.  Just don't eat in excess and don't eat wild ones.  A handful of them and you are brown bread.Biggest killer is obesity, so eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and not too much sugar and carbs so that you don't pile on the pounds

yeah, lot of problems stem from obesity. type 2 diabetes, which people are told is incurable and they need drugs and insulin all their lives, is basically just being overweight because 95% of type 2 diabetics lose their diabetes when they lose the excess and become the correct weight.

i used to believe the lipid insulin theory that is the rage now and used to think that carbs put on the weight and low carbs had a metabolic advantage over low fat. after reading all the isocaloric studies between low carb and low fat, a calorie is still a calorie, and it's excess that leads to weight gain regardless of the macro nutrient.

By:
armagnac
When: 21 Aug 18 09:48
skippers on toast for brekkie Tongue Out
By:
When: 21 Aug 18 19:43
Should I try an arsenic and cyanide brekkie, or just stick to oats so simple with golden syrup? Scared
By:
armagnac
When: 22 Aug 18 15:56
back from asda
main course is, lamb shank, roast spud in goose fat, brocolli and colli cheese
desert will be blackberries and strawberries with fresh cream

beat that chicken nugget man
tim will not see this till supper time, poor tim Sad
By:
mach
When: 18 Oct 18 21:53
Casserole,
Striploin beef cut in large chunks, quality pork sausages, smoked lardons, carrot, celery, swede, red onion, garlic, salt pepper, herbs fresh and dried, red wine,corn flour, water, cooked for 3 hours served with baby boiled
By:
bearcub
When: 18 Oct 18 22:05
Don't boil babies Sad
By:
mach
When: 18 Oct 18 22:08
I'm not a veganHappy
By:
armagnac
When: 18 May 19 14:01
Duck a la orange with roastie's and veg this evening while listening to some carp festival
c'mon UK
By:
bearcub
When: 18 May 19 15:36
I'd had a tenner on you being dead Cry

i'd had you in a double too with figgy getting a ride this year, i'd already written that off Plain
By:
armagnac
When: 18 May 19 17:18
lol my side is in, had a go on the old tandem this morning Cool
By:
five leaves left
When: 18 May 19 18:18
You were safe with my side of your bet bear Sad

Duck a la orange? Are you hosting a 70's dinner party army?
By:
armagnac
When: 18 May 19 18:25
lol fig, oh yes trifle for desert also Cool
By:
five leaves left
When: 18 May 19 18:26
lol should be Angel Delight
By:
armagnac
When: 18 May 19 18:37
gonna need it, the bleeding duck is more like an undersized pigeon Sad