Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 445 comments are related to the topic:
next crystal palace manager

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 3 of 12  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 12 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 445
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 25 Oct 13 15:03
The real reason MON has gone from hot nailed on fav for the ROI job is because the FAI and he were poles apart on remuneration. Signs are that he won't be underwritten by a benefactor but maybe they will meet in the middle.

As an ageing person I take great exception to your inference that old people lose it :~(  Old people don't lose it, they just do things more slowly. They can still run rings around young whippersnappers.
By:
Horangi.
When: 25 Oct 13 15:09
Not saying old people are less useful or can't do the job but just pointing out the reality of the situation.  Harder to get employed as you get older as said individual is perceived to be not as desirable for valid and non-valid reasons.

Apparently Parish told media after the press conference the other day that they would be willing to change their style of play.  Seems they are going to do everything to try to stay in the league.  Not sure that's the best idea.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 25 Oct 13 15:17
"...just pointing out the reality of the situation.  Harder to get employed as you get older..."

Like SAF do you mean?
By:
Horangi.
When: 25 Oct 13 15:23
Not sure I follow, always going to be exceptions to the rule.  If you have had a very successful track record then no matter where you are they'll keep you until you physically can't do it.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 25 Oct 13 16:19
What I am saying is that sensible old people, like Parish for instance, will identify sensible old people like MON for instance. If there has been no contact between cpfc and MON's agent to prompt this price move then I am a dutchman.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 25 Oct 13 16:20
Anyway Pulis still looks like a lay to me. Especially as he is old too.
By:
nigelpm1
When: 25 Oct 13 16:26

Oct 25, 2013 -- 3:03PM, ShirleyKnot wrote:

The real reason MON has gone from hot nailed on fav for the ROI job is because the FAI and he were poles apart on remuneration. Signs are that he won't be underwritten by a benefactor but maybe they will meet in the middle.As an ageing person I take great exception to your inference that old people lose it :~(  Old people don't lose it, they just do things more slowly. They can still run rings around young whippersnappers.

We are all ageing Surely? ;-)

By:
Horangi.
When: 25 Oct 13 16:36
I agree MON is a real possibility.  Not sure its sensible though, debatable that.

Parish and the owners at CP should hire a manager as if they were in the Championship right now, because quite frankly that's where they're going to be next year anyways.  I don't see how O'Neill helps them down the road.  Villa still recovering from his "successful" reign.
By:
nigelpm1
When: 25 Oct 13 16:42
IF the ROI can't pay MON will CP be able to?  He's not got a hope IMHO but I'm not going to lay him just yet.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 25 Oct 13 17:18
We are all ageing Surely? ;-)

Indeed.  Glad to see somebody getting that bit of humour Nige.
By:
ash cpfc
When: 26 Oct 13 08:18
Coleman into 4/1 now Wink
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 26 Oct 13 11:49
Why is that then Ash?  I haven't worked out why yet.
By:
ash cpfc
When: 26 Oct 13 12:39
No idea, just people joining dots I mentioned above I'd guess and/or chat with his agent to see if he's available for interview

Doesn't take much to move market from those prices

Managed to move Southgate from 40/1 irrc down to about 3/1 with SkyBet a few years ago after having £40 on
By:
Horangi.
When: 26 Oct 13 14:05
Coleman has premiership experience, ex player, almost out of work etc.  Probably talked to him and somebody got wind of it.  Wouldn't be a shocking appointment.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 27 Oct 13 03:17
The Sun are reporting that Pulis wants £2m pa which is good news for Pulis backers insofar as it confirms that there have been discussions. They might of course meet in the middle but this combined with vibes that he doesn't fancy a relegation challenge and he doesn't want to live in London causes me to take him skinny at the right price.

Coleman on the other hand will come cheap.  What I need to do is put aside my basic prejudice that I think he is a lazy underachieving manager and put my sensible hat on and consider what might actually happen.  It's going to tough not to oppose Coleman too though.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 27 Oct 13 03:23
As fas a Popovic is concerned the Australian Football Federation seem to own WSW and they are in the process of selling the club.  He is absolutely pulling up trees in Oz and I cannot see him leaving despite the ownership change.  Money might tempt though, there's a big difference between Oz manager income & EPL income.
By:
ash cpfc
When: 27 Oct 13 12:00
@ShirleyKnot Cookie is the best guy imo, as we could work a long term project around him. Yesterdays performance showed, like the 1st 3 games of the season, that we can be competitive. Think it's clear now that Owen Garvan was/is a popular and influential player, especially as he's good mates with club captain Paddy.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of my 25/1 ticket
By:
Horangi.
When: 27 Oct 13 16:42
Correspondent for Fox Sports Australia has reportedly said Popovic isn't in the running.  Definitely ticks a few boxes though.

Pardew seems very interesting, massive contract but Newcastle seem to be losing patience with the man.
By:
nigelpm1
When: 27 Oct 13 21:08
so palace would employ someone who is failing at Newcastle?  Highly unlikely.
By:
Horangi.
When: 27 Oct 13 21:45
Parish keeps saying a connection to the club will be helpful.  Why do you think Coleman traded so low?  If he wasn't ex Palace wouldn't really stand a shot at all (if he does to begin). 

Possibility that's all.  Lots of ways they could go.  Wouldn't stun me if Millen was given the job if they can't find the right man.  Apparently Palace was his childhood club so he fits the Palace man stuff Parish keeps talking about.  Limited managerial experience but good chance they are bringing in a DOF to mitigate that.  40's a a little too high I think.
By:
nigelpm1
When: 27 Oct 13 22:06
If they can agree remuneration it'll be Pulis.  To my mind this rules out any manager currently employed.  Pardew has a three year contact with Newcastle.
By:
Horangi.
When: 27 Oct 13 22:24
Why does a potential deal with Pulis rule out any other currently employed manager?  Regards Pardew he could be sacked/resign any moment.

Honestly don't see why Palace would go for Pulis.  Not really sure why he is the strong fav to be honest.  Media fired out Pulis's name at the Holloway/Parish press conference and Parish just went along with it.  Parish might have no interest at all, at best he surely is just one of several options.
By:
nigelpm1
When: 27 Oct 13 22:30
A few reasons:

Pulis might want £2m but they'd on the hook for more than that in compensation. 

They've stated they want to get it done quickly.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5225426/Tony-Pulis-demands-2m-a-year-to-boss-Crystal-Palace.html

You're right though it doesn't rule it out but it makes life much harder.
By:
Horangi.
When: 27 Oct 13 22:36
Can't read the article but if the headline reflects the story then Pulis should trade a lot higher.  Palace doesn't appear to be a club that will pay those kind of wagers on principal alone.
By:
nigelpm1
When: 27 Oct 13 22:41
It shows there's probably been some contact though and it's probably a base for negotiation.  Also, hints at why he's favourite.  Market about to hot up this week though with candidate interviews.
By:
Horangi.
When: 27 Oct 13 22:46
Just trading too low imo.  Have got to be plenty of candidates to talk to, I'm sure some that are currently employed as well.
By:
nigelpm1
When: 27 Oct 13 22:57
He might well be.  Hard to tell at this stage.
By:
Horangi.
When: 29 Oct 13 13:52
Millen apparently in charge for West Brom.  So taking their time/waiting.  Two week break after another week so this might extend for awhile.
By:
Horangi.
When: 29 Oct 13 13:55
Check that the article headline didn't quite match the article.  All it says is he's been told to prepare the squad. 

And the caretaker boss says co-chairman Steve Parish has given him a vote of confidence to prepare the squad for the Hawthorns as the search for a new manager continues.
By:
Horangi.
When: 31 Oct 13 14:41
Coming to the conclusion Palace board is a little clueless.  Don't seem to have any football knowledge on the board, just a few rich fans who appear to have made their shortlist based on looking at the "big" names and ex Palace men.  Pulis, O'Neill, Coleman their top choices?  wtf

It looks like since they couldn't afford the big names they will have to settle for Coleman.  Even though there is a strong consensus from Palace fans that not only do they not have an affinity for the ex Palace man they seem to have animosity towards him.  Don't know if its an attempt to wind up or genuine foreshadowing but one of the owners has posted "Why not and who would you choose instead?" to somebody who said "Please god not Coleman".

Wouldn't shock me if they got cold feet on Coleman and just gave it to Millen for the rest of the year.  Pardew is the only other name who seems plausible.
By:
mugptr
When: 01 Nov 13 00:32

Oct 31, 2013 -- 2:41PM, Horangi. wrote:

Coming to the conclusion Palace board is a little clueless.  Don't seem to have any football knowledge on the board, just a few rich fans who appear to have made their shortlist based on looking at the "big" names and ex Palace men.  Pulis, O'Neill, Coleman their top choices?  wtfIt looks like since they couldn't afford the big names they will have to settle for Coleman.  Even though there is a strong consensus from Palace fans that not only do they not have an affinity for the ex Palace man they seem to have animosity towards him.  Don't know if its an attempt to wind up or genuine foreshadowing but one of the owners has posted "Why not and who would you choose instead?" to somebody who said "Please god not Coleman".Wouldn't shock me if they got cold feet on Coleman and just gave it to Millen for the rest of the year.  Pardew is the only other name who seems plausible.

Not to sure why you think that t.b.h , all 4 of them are extremity successful in their own right and funny enough would not be in that position without making careful and calculated decisions .
Who says pullis,o Neil  or Coleman are their choices , I didn't hear ay of them actually saying that , unless you have a quote I missed?.
Who says once again that palace can't afford a big name.?

It seems interviewing has not taken place yet,so I presume you are lead by what is in the press.

Quote this afternoon - Steve browett rev- parish
Steve does the bulk of the work but he'd not appoint a manager without all of us being in agreement. When appointing previous managers both Martin and I have taken part in interviews and that may happen this time too.

By:
Horangi.
When: 01 Nov 13 01:24
And here comes Cookie Coleman.  Crazy

Mug not sure what being successful at other ventures does for them knowing how to pick a proper manager.  As far as I know none of them have any coaching badges and are simply just Palace fans.  Their manager search seems to have been limited to recent has beens and ex Palace figures.  Honestly don't think they have a clue, the setup at the club sounds to be haphazard.
By:
ash cpfc
When: 01 Nov 13 11:27
my 25/1 shout on Coleman is now leading the race Excited

although the board will probably listen to some of the idiots on the BBS (www.cpfc.org) and not appoint him

seriously they come up with resons like;
he walked out on the club and went to Premier League Champions, and he said he wanted to go and played sh it - these are the same people who adore Zaha, who played sh it from when he got an England call up and also said he wanted to leave the club

He ruined Wales - err no he hasn't, they are generally just ****
By:
Horangi.
When: 01 Nov 13 14:02
Board may want to reconsider unless they feel Coleman is the absolute right guy (which I cannot believe but based on past managerial hirings will. lol).

One of the reasons Parish said he favored ex palace was because it would give said person more time with the fans if things didn't go smoothly at first.  Well that's certainly not the case here.  If this were to fail he would be under massive pressure.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 02 Nov 13 15:36
Stick this one back on screen and keep it there for the rest of the day peeps.  There's a rumour (unconfirmed) floating around that Coleman has turned Palace down!  Almost no back money sitting there at all now.
By:
Horangi.
When: 02 Nov 13 17:46
Turned down by Coleman? lol  That would be something, maybe Coleman clued in to the angst of Palace supporters against his opponent.

Parish was on the radio today, I found some of his comments somewhat useful.
By:
mach
When: 03 Nov 13 00:20
back page of the star, Coppell considered for palace.

pic.twitter.com/nc9Da7ofGh
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 03 Nov 13 08:48

Nov 3, 2013 -- 12:20AM, mach wrote:

back page of the star, Coppell considered for palace. pic.twitter.com/nc9Da7ofGh

As DoF, not as manager.

By:
nigelpm1
When: 03 Nov 13 11:37
Coleman moved in heavily with Sky, Victor, SJ and Coral - imagine someone has got wind of something.
By:
ShirleyKnot
When: 03 Nov 13 12:19

Nov 3, 2013 -- 11:37AM, nigelpm1 wrote:

Coleman moved in heavily with Sky, Victor, SJ and Coral - imagine someone has got wind of something.

Bet you a virtual pint that Boyles will be back out to evens before 6:00pm

Lay

Page 3 of 12  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 12 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics