Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
five leaves left
04 Oct 11 01:00
| Topic/replies: 113,902 | Blogger: five leaves left's blog
Firstly I haven't been drinking or taking any illicit drugs before I started this thread.

Given the record of girlbands then I can see why some may think I have, but I think these 4 have very decent voices, which harmoniae well and are almost as importantly, very likeable.

The usual grlbands we get are high heels, short skirts and no knickers and usually sound like cats being strangled.
I think Cowell goes for this image to emphasise how heterosexual he is.

Rhythmix are a very different proposition. Ordinary looking grils, who could easily build a folllowing if they're given the help of Tulisa and TPTB.
Tulisa has already been quoted as saying that the boyband market is saturated and given these girls have been hyped up by Brazier on This Morning twice and that they were given fullsome praise by both Tulisa and Jessie J, I believe they could be her Plan A.

There's no reason why a girlband can't get the support of the audience. After all it wasn't men going to watch the Spice Girls or buying their cd's.

90/1 could look huge if these girls can produce it live and if  they get the backing of Tulisa and TPTB..

Ding ding. Tickets please.  Plenty of room upstairs.....and downstairs for that matter.
Pause Switch to Standard View ** The Rhythmix Red London Bus to...
Show More
Report Asparagus Man December 11, 2011 9:48 PM GMT
Superb call fllHappy
Report hemsby December 11, 2011 9:48 PM GMT
For the last time......

Ding,Ding this vehicle is terminating.Would passengers please alight and form an orderly queue at the payout counter.The hat is currently being passed around for the driver (not that he needs the money).

Take a bow Figgy.......It don't get much better than this GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
Report ror December 11, 2011 9:50 PM GMT
if betfair allowed balance transfers I'd tip him 10% :)
Report George Bailey December 11, 2011 9:56 PM GMT
Yeah great stuff fll you da man alright. hate to think what my book would have looked like if I hadn't jumped on the bus early. Much appreciated.
Report five leaves left December 11, 2011 9:56 PM GMT
I take paypal ror ;)

..and no Hemsby. Lena came close, but this beats it.
Report Cider December 11, 2011 10:00 PM GMT
You know you can tip anything for a while now, and lay it off 15 minutes later Grin
Report timbucktooth December 11, 2011 10:05 PM GMT
The Kitten`s been doing that for years now...
Report five leaves left December 11, 2011 10:06 PM GMT
lol, no one listens though cider.

Us gamblers can be a stubborn bunch.
Report five leaves left December 11, 2011 10:06 PM GMT
Laugh Tim
Report Cider December 11, 2011 10:08 PM GMT
Hammy can tip anything and back it 15 minutes later.
Report snaafi dancer December 11, 2011 10:29 PM GMT
just wanted to add myself to the list of people tipping the hat to you fll, congrats on your big win, as simon might say "possibly theee best thread in xfactor forum history"
Report attitude adjuster December 11, 2011 10:30 PM GMT
not bad fll

for a dancer Tongue Out
Report five leaves left December 11, 2011 10:33 PM GMT
Keeeeeeeeeeep dancing!

Come on Chelsee!
Report Pandorica December 11, 2011 10:35 PM GMT
Well done FLL

Come on Harry - the McFly Xmas double is on.
Report Steve11 December 11, 2011 10:58 PM GMT
Squares
"Yep, nice words from Pakey and PeteW - and I can only echo this guy Steve (looks like this was his 10th post in about 8 years too!)"

Steve11 11 Dec 11 00:15 
Five leaves, whether LM win or not is fairly irrelevant to me, the fact that they are 1.40 after you tipped them very early on at 90-1 whilst a lot of people, like me would have been saying "seriously, have you seen the record of the girl bands so far in this event?" makes this one of the greatest specials tips i've seen on this forum and all credit to you for seeing it from a mile away. Hats off and take f all notice of anyone who gives you grief on here. Cheers. "

Yep, 10 posts in 8 years, it takes a whopper for me to chirp up on here, but this was an absolute beauty. I think along with fll, the producers deserve credit for how they played the nation with Little Mix, a beautifully crafted display of vote generating from start to finish, timed perfectly to peak at the end. Two posts is virtually unheard of for me on one thread ....... 

Hats off to all on this thread.
Report attitude adjuster December 11, 2011 11:05 PM GMT
You will need to change your forum name now Happy
Report squares December 11, 2011 11:06 PM GMT
Steve, come along and post more often.  Believe it or not, I was a lurker for years.
Report stringerbell December 11, 2011 11:22 PM GMT
right that's me gone for a while

thanks to all the usual suspects for their hard work (squares, gb2, jack, fll etc) and for making the journey so entertaining (lou, hamster included).....well done to all the winners and hopefully speak to you all soon

x
Report Dizzy42 December 11, 2011 11:33 PM GMT
Just finished celebrating with a few glasses of fizz!

Much has probably been said above - and I'll catch up on the thread tomorrow...

But thanks again to Figgy - great shout, this'll go down in history as one of the greatest specials coups!

During tonight's final - and in no small part due to your unwavering confidence - I tilted the book 65 : 35 back in the Minxes favour, so cleared a grand in the end...

Cheers mate - we all owe you one for this!
Report George Bailey December 11, 2011 11:33 PM GMT
Bye nick come back soon...and email me before you bet your bank on any more tennis matches...I will either provide expert sporting advice or counselling Laugh
Report Dizzy42 December 11, 2011 11:34 PM GMT
And likewise, I have to thank Squares, GB, Jack, GB2 et. al. for all of their brilliant work, analysis and insight... Without which my world would be an emptier place each autumn!

Cheers one and all!
Report Dizzy42 December 11, 2011 11:37 PM GMT
Oh, and an honourable mention of course must go to The Goose, for gracing us with his presence... You must be SO proud, sir! Grin
Report Dizzy42 December 11, 2011 11:39 PM GMT
By the way, watch out for the pimp slot in week five - three winners in four years now, and the only exception was One Direction!
Report five leaves left December 11, 2011 11:42 PM GMT
cheers again guys and yep, thanks to the Goose. I'm sure he's enjoying a nice drink. He must be very proud.
Report Dizzy42 December 11, 2011 11:47 PM GMT
Nick - before you go, yes you were spot on in your assertion that TPTB would not let Marcus win and would be throwing their weight behind the girls...  There was always just a nagging doubt in my mind!  I'm a hedger more than a true punter, so I'm sure you cleared a lot more than me - but at least I saw sense during the final (especially during the early bars of 'Last Christmas') and switched a couple of hundred back knowing Marcus's days were numbered!

At least that's some of the Serena losses back in your pocket!  Hope you stick around - it's good to have your company... Have a great Christmas.
Report paddletoe December 12, 2011 12:04 AM GMT
Congrats Five Leaves and happy christmass to all the little muffin winners.
Report FinancialHemorrage December 12, 2011 1:01 AM GMT
Best call that I can remember (and I go all the way back to Craig vs Anna).  The legend of fll continues...
Report Trusty December 12, 2011 8:41 AM GMT
At 5/1 I think I had already congratulated you; at 3/1 I would have been a huge green all round. I think you had the balls to not go green until 6/4. Undoubtedly a fantastic call and you have probably made more money than LM will ever make in the music industry imvho!

Enjoy.
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 8:50 AM GMT
Awesome
Report Johnny`Honk`Fartpants December 12, 2011 9:16 AM GMT
Well in Fig, don't post much myself but always lurking and looked forward to reading this thread most days.
Report PAKEY December 12, 2011 9:20 AM GMT
Absoluterly frickin' awesome fll, never have I been happier to lose a bet.
For me personally, this has to be the best thread of any forum that I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. May the sun always shine on your face my friend.

Slight niggle is when "Lorraine" was on tv this morning, she said to Perez Hilton "You are the only person I know who championed Little Mix from the start", and it got me thinking that you have never posted at the same time Perez has been on the tv. Confused

Seriously mate, well done, and keep up the great job you do of providing those stats.
Report bunnyman December 12, 2011 9:44 AM GMT
Arise Sir Figgy!  Thrilled to bits with this.  Well done to you and everyone on this momentous journey.
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 11:20 AM GMT
Thanks guys.

Damn you Pakey! I thought I'd got away with stealing Perez Hilton's tip. It was Nu Vibe for me before I heard her tip the the Muffins up ;)
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 11:22 AM GMT
Oh Perez. I was following Paris. I bet the freak stole it from her.
Report YeahIknow December 12, 2011 11:35 AM GMT
How long will it be before they dump the fat one?
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 11:44 AM GMT
I doubt they would have won without the fat one
Report Dizzy42 December 12, 2011 11:52 AM GMT
Spot on GB.
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 12:02 PM GMT
Every girl band need their sporty spice or the ginger in Girls Aloud.
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 12:09 PM GMT
She was genius PR exactly when they badly needed a big ramp to stay out of the b2
Report YeahIknow December 12, 2011 12:29 PM GMT
Agree the PR helped.But they won now. Cant remember any girl bands with a fat-one in. Either will put her on the atkins diet or sub with someone else.
Report squares December 12, 2011 12:33 PM GMT
some of the Spice Girls were quite a lot bigger when they started out.

Kimberley from GA has a bit of padding on her - in all the right places.

Show has just accentuated Jesy with poor clothes and stuff.  The other girls are tiny, and Jesy, Misha and Amelia all quite chunky.
Report squares December 12, 2011 12:34 PM GMT
She'll probably be all over the papers with arms and legs like pipe cleaners in about a year or so.
Report Dizzy42 December 12, 2011 12:37 PM GMT
Every single member of the Spice Girls and Girls Aloud were bigger when they started.

I think it's a real shame they turn them into stick insects... Nothing wrong with Jesy at all - apart from her dress sense (says the old fogey)!
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 12:37 PM GMT
I bet Jess is a similar size to Baby Spice and Ginger.

It's just that the others are so tiny. You could see that in the duet with Tulisa.

Anyone would think she was Michelle MacManus the way some go on about her.
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 12:40 PM GMT
Baby Spice was definitely a similar size on SCD.

I still dream about those thighs Love
Report YeahIknow December 12, 2011 12:48 PM GMT
For me, the problem was never her weight. She looks lighter than Misha B/Amelia. Its her face. Lack of chin, and a head wider than it is long long. She seems a nice girl though.
Report squares December 12, 2011 12:53 PM GMT
Yeah, she has a bit of a hamster face.  Was quite a cute kid tho and will probably get better as she gets older.

Facially reminds me of actress Meg Johnson (obv much much younger).

Meg = Pearl in Emmerdale,
was Anthony/Ray Quinn's Nan in Brookie,
and Fred Gee's wife in Corras.

Nolans had a chunky one in the old days, now most of them are.
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 12:57 PM GMT
This thread has now gone wrong imho
Report attitude adjuster December 12, 2011 12:57 PM GMT
The legendary Fred Gee

as Eunice walked out on him in the Rovers ,he turnd to Len and said
"I could've had any burd!" Laugh
Report squares December 12, 2011 1:00 PM GMT
Laugh
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 1:03 PM GMT
Small Little Muffin hangover this morning.

Where's the troll idiot Hamsterdam? What a prize clown.

Have you seen the voting figures chaps? Explains a lot.
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 1:05 PM GMT
Yep, the one that got the most votes won! It's just not on
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 1:07 PM GMT
They have published the top 2 from each week so far. I presume we will get the entire list from each week soon?
Report squares December 12, 2011 1:09 PM GMT
already done Pete
Report squares December 12, 2011 1:10 PM GMT
see 2nd page of voting analysis thread
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 1:10 PM GMT
Whereabouts please squares? I can't find it.
Report latefeature December 12, 2011 1:11 PM GMT
Well done FLL.

YaehIknow just has to be a fat guy, with gravy stains down his front, screwing up his ticket not understanding why his runner lost! The "fat one" as you so in-eloquently put it is the MOST important part of LM, she provides width, depth and the all important timing for LM, allowing the group as a whole to fly, the difference is whatever size she is, she has made it, sadly the only thing you'll make is sticky tissues.

It has been a brilliant ride folks, as usual in reality shows my aim is to be all green just after half way, and as usual I was happily so in X Factor this year, but LM caught my eye with like a bird and my opinion was that Marcus just couldn't win, he's good but just didn't give me a spark, I have been quietly laying him since, Sunday and he was still there and my rockery has trebled in size lol! All the while increasing my green on LM as other artists fell by the wayside. Last night whilst wating for Dermot to announce, the hole book across all the Xfactor markets meant if Marcus won, I had a low 3 figure profit, but LM winning has given a sweet tad into 5 figures profit.

The Final Results
Little Mix: 48.3%
Marcus Collins: 42.8%
Amelia Lily (carried over from before the freeze): 8.9%

The Final - vote freeze
Little Mix: 39.0%
Marcus Collins: 34.5%
Amelia Lily: 26.5%

The Semi Final
Little Mix: 34.4%
Marcus Collins: 24.0%
Amelia Lily: 21.4%
Misha B: 20.2%

Week 8
Amelia Lily: 23.8%
Little Mix: 22.4%
Marcus Collins: 21.0%
Janet Devlin: 18.3%
Misha B: 14.5%

Week 7
Little Mix: 26.1%
Misha B: 22.5%
Janet Devlin: 14.8%
Marcus Collins: 14.4%
Amelia Lily: 11.3%
Craig Colton: 10.9%

Week 6
Amelia Lily: 27.4%
Janet Devlin: 17.4%
Little Mix: 15.3%
Marcus Collins: 12.9%
Craig Colton: 10.6%
Kitty Brucknell: 8.4%
Misha B: 8.0%

Week 6 vote in:
Amelia Lily: 48.8%
James Michael: 26.7%
JonJo Kerr: 13.2%
2 Shoes: 11.3%

Week 5
Janet Devlin: 18.0%
Marcus Collins: 16.0%
Misha B: 12.2%
Little Mix: 11.9%
Craig Colton: 10.1%
Frankie Cocozza: 8.7%
Johnny Robinson: 8.3%
Kitty Brucknell: 7.6%
The Risk: 7.2%

Week 4
Janet Devlin: 14.7%
Little Mix: 13.7%
Craig Colton: 13.0%
Kitty Brucknell: 12.9%
Johnny Robinson: 12.2%
Marcus Collins: 10.1%
The Risk: 7.2%
Frankie Cocozza: 5.7%
Sophie Habibis: 5.4%
Misha B:  5.1%

Week 3
Janet Devlin: 17.2%
Johnny Robinson: 17.1%
Misha B: 11.8%
Marcus Collins: 11.2%
The Risk: 8.3%
Little Mix: 6.0%
Frankie Cocozza: 6.0%
Craig Colton: 6.0%
Sophie Habibis: 5.8%
Sami Brookes: 5.6%
Kitty Brucknell: 5.0%

Week 2
Janet Devlin: 23.6%
The Risk: 10.9%
Sophie Habibis: 8.9%
Little Mix: 8.7%
Misha B: 7.8%
Craig Colton: 6.9%
Marcus Collins: 6.8%
Johnny Robinson: 6.5%
Sami Brookes: 6.2%
Kitty Brucknell: 5.9%
Frankie Cocozza: 5.2%
Nu Vibe: 2.6%
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 1:16 PM GMT
Thx squares and latefeature.

All I could find online this morning was the top 2. Where did these percentages come from please?
Report squares December 12, 2011 1:17 PM GMT
on official site last night
Report latefeature December 12, 2011 1:18 PM GMT
http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/x-factor-voting-figures-revealed.html
Report latefeature December 12, 2011 1:19 PM GMT
But the killer staistic that remains is that once an artist appears in the bottom 2  they really can't win!!!
Report Dizzy42 December 12, 2011 1:21 PM GMT
The killer statistic for me is that the judges only allow it to go to deadlock when the act they want to save is not bottom of the PV!
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 1:22 PM GMT
Michelle Mc the only one to do so in Pop Idol 2.
Report DickyM December 12, 2011 1:23 PM GMT
Week 3 very tight - 0.4% of the bottom 2 Shocked
Report squares December 12, 2011 1:23 PM GMT
think that was fake tho
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 1:25 PM GMT
Fake b3 I think Pete
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 1:43 PM GMT
Shows you how illiquid the vote is early doors. I think it also spells that the show is in decline.

Notice the strong bounce always go south the week after? Happened again with Misha B. Bottom to 2nd, to bottom, to bottom again.
Report latefeature December 12, 2011 2:02 PM GMT
Dizzy you have to assume then that any elimination is pre-ordained, in which case anyone who trades in the markets is slightly stoopid, to keep such a massive fraud going year on year would be IMVHO impossible, the judges can only make a decision on the bottom two, and thier relative performances, since the vote rigging scandals with blue peter et al the public vote is pretty sound. Misha B should have gone much earlier, trouble was it was her personna and looks that put the public off, performance wise she was one of the best until halloween, when LM really found their mojo, it looks as if Misha B was a must be in but she is a good singer, but like each artist, reached their top level. LM took on some amazing numbers, with Tulisa helping to mould the songs to them (even though Perrie and Jade are able to mimic and do amazing things with their voices), they just kept improving and getting tighter and tighter. The Harmonies on sunday were getting close to perfection -I actually doubted they could improve from saturday but WOW!!!

Every theory argument and conspiracy could be put forward, nevertheless, the improvement and the growing confidence of their abilty shone out like a beacon, their first act when finishing a song a group hug (we did that), each and every results announcement, the absolute wonder at taking another step forward and the absolute disbelief they'd won, all we can now ask is that the Cowell Machine doesn't spoil them and Tulisa stays involved, forget how much you won and lost, or why or how -that ship has sailed.

LM are the real deal and again well done to FLL for spotting this fact before most, I doff my hat with great respect, you made me look at LM differently.
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 2:08 PM GMT
Like I said before until I was blue in the face, people over analyze. Since Halloween, it was clear that the likeability factor was emerging, and the others had already shown what they had. Amelia Lily's re-appearance put a different spin on things, but only temporarily. I thought Amelia might of pinched 2nd in the end, which would of made the final a landslide for the muffins.

Hope they get a number one single before I lock Perrie up. Love
Report Pete Watermelon December 12, 2011 2:17 PM GMT
Final 8 - Elton John Week (Pop Idol 2)

Susanne - 22.3%
Mark R - 15.5%
Chris - 13.5%
Andy - 12.5%
Sam - 11.5%
Michelle - 10.7%
Roxanne - 9.6%
Kim - 4.6% (Eliminated)

I think that was the week they kept her on stage as "bottom 2", so it looks like you're right chaps.

As a trader, I felt like I should of sued them for doing the same with Susanne. They called her bottom 2 the week Andy Scott Lee was voted off, and she was only 4th from bottom. That was one of the closest vote in history when Chris (The Vicar) only got beat by 697 votes. Susanne being called "bottom 2" caused her to drift from 3.50 to 6.0 on here.

Final 7 - Disco Week

Michelle - 23.3%
Sam - 16.8%
Roxanne - 16.5%
Susanne - 11.9%
Mark R - 10.9%
Chris - 10.9% (By 697 votes)
Andy - 9.8% (Eliminated)

So, two "fake bottom 2's". The record remains in tact that nobody has ever won finishing in the bottom 2. I guess Amelia would of been the closest if she made it through to the final 2, but I regard her participation in this year's show as a bit of a joke really. You can't be bringing people back in.
Report BigMig December 12, 2011 2:25 PM GMT
Jesy is a dead ringer for Carol Vorderman. Well, a squashed Carol Vorderman.

Can't everyone see that?
Report six gun December 12, 2011 4:11 PM GMT
Has this been posted?

http://celebrity.aol.co.uk/2011/12/12/tulisa-pay-rise/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk3%7C88225

Tulisa back next year then
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 4:15 PM GMT
She doesn't need half of my winnings then.
Report Journeyman December 12, 2011 4:42 PM GMT
Well done Fig, a superb effort.
Now you can afford that Nick Drake duvet you always wanted.
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 4:45 PM GMT
He can afford the master tapes I would think
Report GeorgeBrush December 12, 2011 4:47 PM GMT
Did Mcmanus really come 3rd from bottom in week 8 ? Shocked  Always assumed she was a traditional lead the vote from start to finish scottisher
Report geoff m December 12, 2011 5:06 PM GMT
Cracking call by OP .That takes some doing spotting a bunch of shyte 6 weeks ago & making money out of it.
Report RMB © December 12, 2011 5:08 PM GMT
What happened to 7% being the difference between top and bottom in the Semi Final!
Report Benjy December 12, 2011 5:10 PM GMT
WD FLL.

I have absolutely no idea how I managed to do my money on this this year while barely watching it. Laugh I was still sticking with the(girl) groups can't win that has served me pretty well in recent years.

Still think Amelia could have been a challenger if Kelly didn't get rid of her in the first place. Silly b!tch.
Report ihatefatties December 12, 2011 5:16 PM GMT
benjy ffs kelly didnt get rid of her it was all fooking planned from the start ffs amelia was still getting vocal coaching off x factor even tho she was supposedly gone;ffs open ur eyes all of u
Report Benjy December 12, 2011 5:24 PM GMT
Laugh I'm not believing that but either way it didn't work and was a complete **** up.

James Michael shouldn't have gone either. Barlow also made a tw@t of himself during the series imo.
Report RMB © December 12, 2011 5:27 PM GMT
I thought they all did Benjy!
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 6:15 PM GMT
Not Tulisa Love

And already have one thanks JM Grin

I might upgrade my vinyl copy of my username to a mint copy. Next time one comes up on ebay.
The excellent copy I have at the mo cost me nearly £500 Shocked
Report PAKEY December 12, 2011 6:24 PM GMT
You misunderstood figgy, I didn't think you copied Perez Hilton, I thought you were him. Grin
Report five leaves left December 12, 2011 6:26 PM GMT
LaughLaugh
Report Hamsterdam December 12, 2011 6:43 PM GMT
The Harmonies on sunday were getting close to perfection -I actually doubted they could improve from saturday but WOW!!!

Put your rod away please Laugh

What is clear is that TCO win they could have bought anyone of the top 4 or 5 acts home with that level of pimping.
Report Dizzy42 December 13, 2011 3:13 PM GMT
Pete - I honestly think that it's too much of a coincidence.  We have seen too many similar patterns over the years, with some scandalous decisions (Jedward vs Lucie going to deadlock a perfect example of the reverse happening, thanks to Simon's prior knowledge of the vote).

Every act eliminated this year also performed first in the sing-off... Another coincidence, perhaps?!  A conspiracy theorist would suggest that was a 'signal' to the judges as to which one would go... That way, they don't necessarily need knowledge of the vote and it can be put down to 'plausible deniability'!  I couldn't possibly comment... Laugh
Report GeorgeBrush December 13, 2011 3:18 PM GMT
Not entirely sure the vote matters if they know which one they want rid of. And they certainly know that
Report Dizzy42 December 13, 2011 3:19 PM GMT
Very true.  To suggest it isn't pre-ordained and that the sing off is anything but an artifice is plain naive!
Report five leaves left December 13, 2011 9:03 PM GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnZWojN5mM&feature=player_embedded

Holy Moly interview with the muffins.
Report six gun December 13, 2011 10:58 PM GMT
Kelly Rowland: 'I'd Move To The UK For 'X Factor' Return'

huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/13/kelly-rowland-x-factor-uk_n_1145531.html
Report hemsby June 7, 2013 7:42 AM BST
This took some digging out Happy.....still my favourite ever Fred Love.

This is from the L.A Times.

Steve Brookstein. Joe McElderry. James Arthur.

If these names mean nothing to you, we've got something in common: I didn't recognize them either, despite the fact that each belongs to a winner on the U.K. version of Simon Cowell's flagship star-making machine, "The X Factor."

Nine seasons into the show, it seems safe to say that success among British viewers doesn't necessarily lead to success among American listeners.

One Direction, which finished third on Season 7, is an obvious exception, as is Leona Lewis, who after winning Season 3 went on to score a No. 1 hit in the United States with "Bleeding Love." (That said, Lewis' most recent album, "Glassheart," hasn't been released here.)

How, then, to account for Little Mix? In 2011, this four-member girl group finished first on "The X Factor," then promptly released a dreary cover of "Cannonball" by the dreary Irish singer-songwriter Damien Rice -- a sure sign, it would seem, that Little Mix was destined to follow Brookstein and McElderry into transatlantic anonymity.

Yet this week, the band's "DNA" entered the Billboard 200 at No. 4, the highest debut ever for a U.K. girl group's first album, as the trade magazine noted. (A press release issued Wednesday morning by the group's label added that Little Mix's achievement bests even the once-indomitable Spice Girls, whose "Spice" bowed on the chart at No. 6 in 1997.)

"DNA" sold well at least in part because it's a good pop record, catchy and funny and vibrant, with big choruses and chewy production touches like the wobbly dubstep synths in "Wings" and the booming marching-band drums in "Stereo Soldier."

There's also "How Ya Doin'?," an utterly irrepressible disco-funk jam built atop sizable interpolations of "Name and Number" by Curiosity Killed the Cat and the Whatnauts' early-'80s funk tune "Help Is on the Way," both of which De La Soul previously used in its song "Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey)." For the single version of "How Ya Doin'?," Little Mix even wrangled a guest verse from the great Missy Elliott. (Listen to the song below.)

T-Boz of TLC shows up too, though for some reason in the grungy "Red Planet" instead of "Going Nowhere," a killer "No Scrubs"-style kiss-off in which the Little Mix ladies kick an Xbox-playing, no job-having, dirty shirt-wearing chump to the curb from whence he came.

But neither of those guest spots seems significant enough to draw American listeners en masse. And quality alone is hardly sufficient: A mere five years ago, we as a country all but ignored the English group Girls Aloud's brilliant "Out of Control" album. (Xenomania, the production team behind Girls Aloud, helmed "Pretend It's OK," a so-so ballad on "DNA.")

"Wings' " appearance on "American Idol" and "Glee" certainly helped elevate the group's profile in the weeks running up to the album's release. And judging by its Facebook photos, Little Mix appears to have put in some long hours on the crucial shopping mall-signing circuit.

Perhaps One Direction helped ease open the door, as well: Instead of playing down its English-ness in an attempt to appeal to American listeners, the cheeky boy band has used it as a way to distinguish itself from its peers. Now, Little Mix can pause "DNA's" title track for a spoken bit in which the women sound fully like the young Brits they are.

Beyond that, though, I'll admit that I'm surprised the group has been able to find a foothold here so quickly. Surprised and excited: America should always leave its borders open to great pop songs.
Report hemsby June 7, 2013 7:46 AM BST
Expect an influx of screaming yanks at HQ anytime soon.
Report squares June 7, 2013 8:56 AM BST
Grin
Report five leaves left June 7, 2013 1:04 PM BST
LOL An interesting read.

Tulisa should have listened to my advice

04 Oct 11 01:08 

five leaves left's 

Class C and alcohol allowed, but nothing heavy HF.

We're going for the family vote.
Report five leaves left June 7, 2013 1:06 PM BST
As for cracking the US. They deserve it far more than 1D.
The Goose must be extremely proud.
Report johnnyrant June 7, 2013 1:08 PM BST
Legendary post, this. Of course, fig will be the 1st to acknowledge he put this thread up after reading my Rhythmix recommendation on the site Grin
Report five leaves left June 7, 2013 1:09 PM BST
..also James Arthur may not have cracked the states, but I was surprised, when doing Eurovision research, how well Impossible was doing all over Europe and down under in Oz land.
Report five leaves left June 7, 2013 1:11 PM BST
Laugh jr
Report johnnyrant June 7, 2013 1:13 PM BST
Thought you'd like that fig Laugh 'Impossible' has to be the best winner's song XF ever came up with. I say that because even I like it.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com