Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
squares
12 May 11 13:56
| Topic/replies: 74,163 | Blogger: squares's blog
Former X Factor champion Joe McElderry, Cheryl Baker and Midge Ure are among the Popstar to Operastar lineup.

Joining them on the reality show will be ex-****cat Doll Melody Thornton, Toploader's Joe Washbourn and Erasure's Andy Bell.

Completing the lineup are Steps star Claire Richards and US soul singer Jocelyn Brown.

The ITV series pits pop singers against each other in a competition to learn opera singing. Darius Campbell triumphed in the final of the first series last year.

Myleene Klass will return to host the show, but the judging lineup - which last year included Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, Meat Loaf, Katherine Jenkins and Rolando Villazon - has not been revealed yet.

Popstar to Operastar returns to ITV1 in the summer
Pause Switch to Standard View POPSTAR TO OPERASTAR COMING SOON
Show More
Report DickyM June 14, 2011 11:22 AM BST
http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/popstar-to-operastar/popstar-to-operastar-want-... Shocked
Report DickyM June 14, 2011 11:23 AM BST
http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/popstar-to-operastar/
popstar-to-operastar-want-to-see-claire-richards-naked/
Report five leaves left June 14, 2011 11:42 AM BST
women everywhere relating to her.
lets hope she puts on another stone before the final ;)
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 11:45 AM BST
Figgy

She's certainly in with a shout.  Difficuilt having just heard one song but I thought maybe Cheryl the pick of the girls?  Can't remember to be honest and not overly interested at all.

Saving my pennies for The Factor and hope I can sort one out.
Report GeorgeBrush June 14, 2011 12:09 PM BST
reedy voice

needy too I suppose
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 12:14 PM BST
To each his own but the best so far imo.

Might pop down to the betting shop and have a bet on 'Top Female'  It's not on here is it?  Can't find it.
Report Cider June 14, 2011 2:13 PM BST
You'll probably have to get them to add Joe to the market.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 2:35 PM BST
Why isn't there a 'Top Female' market on BF?
Report Helmuthian Folds June 14, 2011 3:02 PM BST
A top female market on Betfair would probably have meant you wouldnt have got the 11/4 on Cheryl as I think she would be a bit less than that on here.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 3:39 PM BST
Hel

Ok thanks for that.  The boy done good then ........... hopefully!

Trouble is it means I can't lay any off if she hits 1.25 or something.
Report Cider June 14, 2011 3:41 PM BST
Only 2 significant runners, so the science is not of the rocket varient.
Report GeorgeBrush June 14, 2011 3:43 PM BST
Laugh

You never lay off anyway Lou, except on Rhydian at 1.14
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 4:04 PM BST
Oh I would here.  1.25 an 11/4 shot I aint that silly.  Lucky i did with The Riddler too.  Travesty he never won and to that Scottish kid of all people.  Leona and Burke could have given him a run for his money but that bl00dy Leon!
Report five leaves left June 14, 2011 8:10 PM BST
It looks like a very good bet Lou.

GL you old bugger (but not too much as I want Claire)

Melody should be 100/1
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 8:55 PM BST
Zoom

I thought Marcella was the best last year so what do I know.  Thought The Nolan was better than Darius too.
Report five leaves left June 14, 2011 8:57 PM BST
I didn't think either of those 2 were much cop.

Shakespeare woman. Nolan and the one from corrie, much better.

Ended up winning though by backing Darius in the final.
Nolan was well odds on iirc.

50.1 to 49.9, surely the closest final ever.
Report five leaves left June 14, 2011 8:58 PM BST
Blimey!
I agree with Lou Grin
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 9:05 PM BST
You're learning figgy.  I'm expecting great things for you this year on X Factor!

Wink!
Report five leaves left June 14, 2011 9:14 PM BST
lol
I expect I'll do the same as always.
Back someone who lights my fire but is probably too marmite to win.
Hopefully make some money on trading them.
Then end up backing your favourite in the final few weeks. Grin
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 9:16 PM BST
Figgy

Ha ha I like it.

I am set up for a big fall though to be fair.  I've done very very well so there must come a time .................

No doubt the vultures will be there to cheer me up if my tip goes down!!
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 9:40 PM BST
Hi Zoom

I thought the other Joe was very very average to be honest. The worst one left in it for me.
Report GeorgeBrush June 14, 2011 10:01 PM BST
I've got it. You're Andy Bell aren't you
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 14, 2011 10:17 PM BST
Didn't watch sing off to be honest as I thought they were both poor.  If he improved fair enough but a long way off of Joe Mc from what I saw.
Report five leaves left June 15, 2011 12:30 PM BST
Bargain hunt ir betting for GB.Grin

4/5 reds, 5/4 blues.

3/1 either team make a profit. 9/1 both.
Report squares June 15, 2011 12:51 PM BST
Suzanne Vega on Absolute 80s - I'm not switching over this time
Report five leaves left June 15, 2011 12:54 PM BST
It could be a sign that Sir Luka could have a good day today.
Report five leaves left June 15, 2011 12:55 PM BST
What number channel on virgin?
Report squares June 15, 2011 12:57 PM BST
dunno about Virgin

Sky 0200

and can listen online too.
Report five leaves left June 15, 2011 12:57 PM BST
fwiw reds won and made a profit.

Lots of profits these days.
Report five leaves left June 15, 2011 1:01 PM BST
Lots of MTV channels and various heavy rock channels, but no 80's here.Sad
Report five leaves left June 15, 2011 6:58 PM BST
elim market up at last
Report cjhornet June 16, 2011 11:46 AM BST
Just a little thought of mine. A few here seem to have ignored the one factor that is different for this show compared to other singing shows. This factor in my opinion was what got Darius over the line last year. Acting ability, opera is both singing and acting. At some point all of the singers will probably have to do a song where there is interaction with the backing singers and dancers. Darius' stage prescence and acting ability was the clincher for me. As to who will be the best actor/actress I'm not actually sure. However as an entertainment show, the well sung opera scene with interaction is more enjoyable than a solo.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 16, 2011 12:07 PM BST
cj

I do think that a valid point in this instance yes.  Darius not the best for me last year but perhaps his acting of the song helped without a doubt.
Report squares June 16, 2011 12:23 PM BST
cj, that is indeed an excellent point and something I'd been trying to put my finger on as I have found some of the comparisons with Darius and this season's contestants (such as JoeMc) somewhat off.

I believe Darius came into the show on the back of some leading male performances in the West End (Chicago, etc.) so was well geared up for the acting/macho male lead aspect.

Obv, none of this lot have that sort of experience.  Cheryl's "acting" in those excruciating diet and double-glazing ads makes Dev from Corrie look positively Shakespearian.  Joe looks to have local drama school/performing arts experience from his school days but not sure how he comes across as a leading man.  As Widdie would say Darius maybe had "something of the night about him" which was particularly suitable for the drama of opera.  Not sure if anyone has that this time, maybe JoeW if he could step up to the mark.  JoeMc looks a bit too g@y these days and Bell too much of a freak, albeit a bit of a scary-faced one - doing a better job of morphing into Pat Butcher than a leading man tho.
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:27 PM BST
I'd still think Cheryl might come out better on the 'acting' front than the two in the lead

Also Joe W maybe has potential
Report five leaves left June 16, 2011 12:27 PM BST
Claire acted very well in some of those steps videos.

The nurse being my particular favourite.
Report johnnyrant June 16, 2011 12:28 PM BST
could see Bell doing a great rendition of 'Phantom Of The Opera', without the requirement for any special make-up.
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:28 PM BST
Tell her there's a cake at stake and she'll do anything
Report squares June 16, 2011 12:34 PM BST
didn't Claire have to "act" that she and H were a couple?
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:38 PM BST
Now that would be impressive...
Report five leaves left June 16, 2011 12:40 PM BST
A couple of what?
Report five leaves left June 16, 2011 12:42 PM BST
On a serious note, I tend to agree with GB.
Cheryl and Washboard the 2 who are likely to be the best actors.
Report squares June 16, 2011 12:43 PM BST
looking at Claire, maybe a couple of swells
Report squares June 16, 2011 12:44 PM BST
I said JoeW
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:46 PM BST
Claire. Parental guidance needed
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/Blackcatmackem/Fatgirl.jpg
Report five leaves left June 16, 2011 12:47 PM BST
Oh right, well I agree with you too then squares.

I thought especially in the sing off he acted and sang it very well.

He probably did some acting at the minor public school I'm sure he went to.
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:47 PM BST
Figgy phoning his mum
Report five leaves left June 16, 2011 12:49 PM BST
She has plenty to explore.
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:49 PM BST
I kind of relented on Joe W. If he could lose the growly rock star bits he could do alright in this

He must see off Andy and Melody to build a bit of momentum though. I think they might pimp Melody too
Report squares June 16, 2011 12:49 PM BST
No BH betting today - right pair of spotty Herberts in red.
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:50 PM BST
You'd definitely need a map
Report five leaves left June 16, 2011 12:51 PM BST
I get the feeling Jenkins doesn't like Melody, so would be surprised to see he get any pimpage, whereas she does appear to like Washboard.

Didn't she say something about being surprised he was B2?
Report five leaves left June 16, 2011 12:53 PM BST
I'd use my special dowsing rod.
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 12:54 PM BST
Given Claire's performance and basic maths I'd deduce Jenkins was from Wales or somewhere

Who gets this - Cheryl, Claire or even Melody?  It's a winner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsAZ526EC60
Report GeorgeBrush June 16, 2011 10:22 PM BST
I'm usually just landscape, but I think Claire fits into that category
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 16, 2011 10:47 PM BST
Landfill I think you meant to type George.

She has the face 'That sunk a thousand ships'
Report GeorgeBrush June 17, 2011 8:42 AM BST
I take it you've never had a pair of size 16 pants slung in your face?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 17, 2011 8:48 AM BST
I've had two eights does that count?
Report GeorgeBrush June 17, 2011 9:11 AM BST
Did they land butter side up or down?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 17, 2011 9:46 AM BST
One was 'Marj' can't remember the other one's name.
Report GeorgeBrush June 17, 2011 10:03 AM BST
Marj sounds like a lard-arse to me
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 17, 2011 11:29 AM BST
A tight arse would be more correct!
Report squares June 17, 2011 3:31 PM BST
Popstar To Operastar contestant Melody Thornton is said to be having a bad week, behind the scenes of the ITV show.

The former ****cat Dolls singer is said to be suffering from homesickness, as she misses spending time with her family and friends in America.

A source told The Sun that the brunette beauty broke down in tears during a recent rehearsal. They said:

“She’s enjoying learning opera, but she’s getting very emotional about being so far from home.

“She’s especially worried about her dog and can’t sleep properly because she misses him and her family so much.”

Claire Richards on the other hand is getting right into her practice time and insiders say she’s trying to emulate the personality of a high class hooker for this Sunday’s show.
Report squares June 17, 2011 3:32 PM BST
Claire Richards is busy rehearsing for this week’s Popstar To Operastar live show and ITV insiders have revealed that the former Steps singer will perform Sempre Libera, from Verdi’s opera La Traviata.

The chunky performer, who will also soon star in her own Sky Living show titled Claire Richards: Slave To Food, will take on the role of Violetta Valéry, a famed courtesan for the song and an ITV source told The Sun that she’s been trying hard to get into the colourful character all week.

They said:

“Claire has taken her new song really seriously.

“She’s been watching Moulin Rouge, Pretty Woman and Secret Diary of a Call Girl to get her into the mindset of the character.

“To impress the judges, Claire knows she’ll have to ooze confidence and passion.

“She’s hoping that getting into the character of a high-class hooker will make her more sexy in her own skin.”
Report squares June 17, 2011 3:33 PM BST
OT, but confirmation that BBC has The Voice (ahead of ITV) and will be coming over here next year.
Report GeorgeBrush June 17, 2011 3:47 PM BST
Here's a familiar bushy-eyebrowed bast@rd doing it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPK7Ayuw3s
Report five leaves left June 18, 2011 11:57 AM BST
It looks like Melody will be happy to go home and Katerine and the others will be glad to see the back of her.

5/6 looks a reasonable bet.
Report DickyM June 18, 2011 12:42 PM BST
Washboards diary :

This is the first part of Joe's diary while training to become an opera tenor singer, enjoy..

Opera Diary. 13/6

Well, it’s the day after my first show in which I ended up performing twice. Seriously, once was enough for my frayed nerves. My first aria was “Votre Toast - Toreador Song” from Bizet’s ‘Carmen’ which involved me having to act and sing like a matador and generally swan around the stage giving it the proverbial ‘large one’. This seemed a tough enough task even in the comfort of a rehearsal studio but when faced with the live audience, an armchair viewer-ship in the millions and four hardcore judges ready to pick it pieces, understandably, I was a little nervous.

It’s an odd situation to find yourself in really to say the least, I’ve watched these shows like everyone else and sat at home enjoying the ‘bad ones’ as much as (if not more) than the ‘good ones’ so as I stood behind those huge doors last night I wondered what on earth had possessed me to put myself in the firing line like this. Your mind starts to ask you all the questions you don’t want asked, What’s the first line again? , Will I miss that first dimly lit step and take a massive tumble on live telly? Will I accidentally clout one of these dancers in the mush with my flailing arms? (actually that would’ve probably made good television- a splatter of real toreador blood!).

Once those massive polystyrene doors swung back I sort of went into autopilot and, on the whole, thought it went ok considering-probably could’ve sung it better but it felt good to get one under my belt. Apparently, the second performance where I was “singing for my survival” was better but was probably due more to the fact I was less nervous and generally more ‘gung ho’ about the whole thing which luckily, this time, suited the character’s persona.

Anyway, I somehow managed to hoodwink a couple of the judges (Vanessa included-I know!) and scraped through to next week. It’s a shame that someone has to leave every week (reminded me that it’s a TV show and not just a few pop bods having a laugh).
Thought everyone held their own very well, considering no one had sung a note of this stuff until six weeks ago…

Had an amazing time performing and got a real kick out of it (and maybe even surprised a few people- my family included). I’m made up I get a chance to do it again this week.

I lay down the ‘suit of lights’ of the arrogant Toreador for now and prepare for a more fitting role and, as a parent, one I relate to a little more…that of a servant!

“VOTE JOE”, me not the other one!

Jx
Report GeorgeBrush June 18, 2011 1:10 PM BST
Sounds quite confident. I'm not sure about this Melody 5/6.  I think if Bell is B2 she may well stay. Depends on song choice and RO of course
Report GeorgeBrush June 18, 2011 1:12 PM BST
Although if these homesick stories are true, the judges probably won't get in her way
Report Cider June 18, 2011 1:16 PM BST
Melody was on one of those dreadful morning tv shows recently. She seemed very happy, and has a 'date' on Monday, apparently. Perhaps it is her flight.
Report five leaves left June 18, 2011 1:26 PM BST
Yep, Bell maybe a little value.

Though with him still gigging, he probably has enough fans to get him through again.
Report squares June 18, 2011 1:32 PM BST
Andy in Gloucestershire tonight, JoeW somewhere too.

Q&A session with JoeW on DS somewhere.  Says he likes the acting a character part of opera.  Also says he likes this week's song but he'd never heard it before.

Not great to have lesser known songs?

Although I think Cheryl was bullish about her song, but also said she'd never heard before iirc.
Report GeorgeBrush June 18, 2011 1:47 PM BST
With so few well known opera standards it seems quite easy for the judges to manipulate a bit

Though I doubt Cheryl has heard Nessun Dorma
Report GeorgeBrush June 18, 2011 1:51 PM BST
Bell gigging clearly a factor, and no doubt more fans than Washboard

Ok, then Joe Mac to go [;)]
Report DickyM June 19, 2011 10:17 AM BST
MelodyThornton
I had a bad rehearsal day! Uuugh!! So excited for tomms performances tho! The song is so beautiful "Mon Coeur S'ouvre a ta Voix" youtube it
Report George Bailey June 19, 2011 10:56 AM BST
Boring unknown song and dodgy vocal makes 4/5 good value plus she's clearly the judges least favourite.  Potential car crash.....now watch her nail it Laugh
Report Danzaa June 19, 2011 11:28 AM BST
Youtube hits for each performer, numbers taken on the Saturday after they originally sang:

Joe McElderry                12,774
Melody Thornton                8,494        (B2)
Midge Ure                1,824        (Out)
Cheryl Baker                 3,286

Claire Richards                5,938
Jocelyn Brown                1,582        (Out)
Andy Bell                8,631
Joe Washbourn                1,218        (B2)

You might notice quite a large number of hits for Andy Bell - he has some very dedicated fans as you can see on the Facebook PopOp page: http://www.facebook.com/poptoopera

I've placed £300 on Melody already (ignoring the high Youtube hits), hoping she'll be in B2 so I can lay her off.
Report GeorgeBrush June 19, 2011 12:59 PM BST
Nice song, but far from well known
Report GeorgeBrush June 19, 2011 1:07 PM BST
Any other clues on songs?

Nowt on twatter
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 1:11 PM BST
Laugh
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 1:11 PM BST
GB is really getting into this.Grin
Report GeorgeBrush June 19, 2011 1:39 PM BST
The aria from La Wally is my tune of the week Laugh
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 1:46 PM BST
Sempre Libera for me.

If Claire can get near this I'll be happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPK7Ayuw3s
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 1:49 PM BST
I tend to agree with this comment though.

I have to say Ms. Netrebko has IMPROVED TREMENDOUSLY since this performance. I heard her sing Norina in Don Pasquale this season at the MET and it was just exquisite. I have always loved her timbre but had issues with her lack of agility in the coloratura sections
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 1:51 PM BST
Lets hope Claire's timbre is ok tonight.
Report GeorgeBrush June 19, 2011 1:55 PM BST
Netrebko is clearly an amateur compared to that cockney bird who rips her skirt off and sings at the same time
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 2:00 PM BST
Yep, they missed a trick there.
Though I reckon the guy who comes in shouting halfway through rips Netrebko's dress off when the curtain goes down.
Report squares June 19, 2011 2:02 PM BST
Claire's got plenty of timber, tree trunks almost
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 2:06 PM BST
I'm surprised GB missed the timber joke Laugh

This Opera looks like Jeremy Kyle for posh people. They even have the sofa to sit on.
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 2:11 PM BST
"I'm fed up coming home after a hard days robbing to find my girlfriend has been on the tenants extra all day"
Report GeorgeBrush June 19, 2011 2:14 PM BST
Pretty much what most operas are about. Plus she's usually been noshing off the next door neighbour

The scary thing will be when Claire gives up on her appearance. It's clearly taken a lot of effort to get her looking this good
Report squares June 19, 2011 2:21 PM BST
Pat Butcher

Mo Slater

?
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 2:21 PM BST
Here's the bit where he finds out about the noshing off of the neighbour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fd95anYw&NR=1
Report GeorgeBrush June 19, 2011 2:24 PM BST
Joe and Andy will just go round and nosh him off themselves
Report five leaves left June 19, 2011 2:31 PM BST
I'm with zoom. I think she looks great Silly
Report GeorgeBrush June 19, 2011 2:35 PM BST
Oh aye, a wad
Report squares June 25, 2011 2:10 PM BST
Andy busy in action in another forest tonight.

Big article in The Mirror:

EVERY Sunday night millions are watching Andy Bell being reborn as an opera singer.

A whole new generation is now getting to know and love the Erasure star thanks to ITV1’s hit show Popstar to Operastar.

But his growing band of fans don’t realise the challenge Andy faces on a daily basis since being diagnosed HIV positive 13 years ago – and the double hip replacement he had in 2004.

One of the first pop stars to come out as gay, Andy was also one of the first to reveal he was HIV positive. And he did so at a time when Aids was still misunderstood and the source of fear and prejudice.

But the 47-year-old’s rude good health and matter-of-fact approach to talking about living with HIV are an inspiration to other sufferers and an education to those who still think of it as a death sentence.

Andy, who with Erasure bandmate Vince Clarke, achieved 24 consecutive Top 20 hits including Sometimes and A Little Respect, says: “Of course, it wasn’t very nice when I found out that I was HIV positive, but I’ve never been a person to have secrets about things.

STIGMA

“I wanted to be open about it and hopefully it would help somebody else not feel so bad about it.

“There was certainly still a lot of stigma about it back in those days, but I didn’t personally face any hostility about it.

“It is the same as any kind of medical condition – it’s a very personal thing.

“I can understand now why people who have cancer might want to keep it private – you don’t want to share it with the world.

“Revealing you have HIV is a big responsibility. Once you’ve said it, you have to show you are living well and getting on with your life.

“You are more susceptible to things like colds so you have to be really, really careful. But it is something you learn to manage over the years.”

Andy found out he was HIV positive in June 1998 when he developed a bout of pneumonia while he was on holiday in Majorca.

He said recently: “I think that I kind of knew. I had been a bit self-destructive for a while and it seemed to be a part of that.”

He immediately began combination drug therapy and, while some sufferers have to try several different drugs to get the right mix for them, Andy was lucky to find the right ones early.

“After taking them for a month I felt completely normal,” he said.

He went public on his condition in 2004 after a website began spreading rumours about his health.

He said then: “I’m feeling fine – in fact I’ve never felt better. Being HIV does not mean that you have Aids. My life expectancy should be the same as anyone else’s so there’s no need to panic.

“Let’s get on with life.”

For Andy though, there was another major health problem just around the corner.

Soon afterwards he had a double hip replacement because of avascular necrosis, a condition where the blood supply to the bones dries up.

“It can be from cocaine use,” he said. “There is not much history of it from HIV. I was walking around like a monkey because the skeletal support goes – I was having to hold on to things. But I went to see the Queen Mum’s surgeon and although it took a while to walk I did great.”

In 2006 Andy told pop channel MTV how he told his family about his condition two years before going public.

He said: “I didn’t have trouble telling my family at all, but it’s almost like a second coming-out.”

Andy then went on to raise money for Aids education and research with a series of benefit concerts.

Erasure are still going strong 26 years after their first release, Who Needs Love Like That. And, after finding success the hard way, Andy has very little time for reality shows which provide a short cut to fame. He says: “I can’t really watch The X Factor. The very concept of overnight success doesn’t exist.”

Since joining Popstar to Operastar, Andy has relished the chance to mentor a singer who’s been chewed up and spat out by the X Factor machine.

Joe McElderry was just 18 years old when he won the show – and 16 months later he was dumped by Simon Cowell’s label Syco.

“I think its a real shame,” says Andy. “Young performers are not schooled in how to deal with being dropped like that. They are sold this dream and are not really prepared for the reality of what happens afterwards.

“When you’re in a band you have to go out and keep doing tours and live shows all the time and build up a following. That’s how we’ve done it – by putting in really, really hard graft.

“Joe is a really sweet kid. He’s very young and gets slightly distracted by everything going on. But he’s so well known he has people saying ‘hi’ to him all the time. It reminds me what it was like a little when we started.

“I think Joe is doing really well, he has got a lovely voice.

“He’s got his family with him. I’ve spoken to his mum and dad a lot and they just say how weird it was going from him not being famous one minute to having hundreds of fans the next.”

Andy’s musical partner Vince has been supporting him in the audience since Popstar to Operastar began.

A stalwart of the 80s synthpop music scene, he started out in Depeche Mode, moved to Yazoo before forming Erasure with Andy in 1985. And, remarkably, in a quarter of a century touring the world, they have rarely had cross words.

“Vince and I have very similar views,” says Andy. “We never have arguments, not ever.

“Well, actually, the only time was when I went on stage once and said ‘Oi!’ to him because he had started the music too early. Vince just turned round and said to me, ‘Don’t ever speak to me like that again’. And I didn’t.

“Honestly, that happened in 1996 and in the whole time that is the only row we have had.”

As we speak, Vince walks into the dressing room. So what’s the secret of this great relationship, Vince?

“I’m a bully,” he replies.

“I’m scared of him,” laughs Andy.

Whatever the truth, Andy is the consummate pop showman..... and now he’s putting on a pretty good turn as an opera diva.

Popstar to Operastar, ITV1 tomorrow, 8pm and 10pm.
Report squares June 25, 2011 4:27 PM BST
was someone on here a while back saying they couldn't watch the telly (Bargain Hunt iirc) cos they were at work?  Try 123webtv next time.
Report Danzaa July 5, 2011 9:37 PM BST
Small P2O poll for the final here:
http://tellymix.co.uk/2011/reality-tv/popstar-to-operastar-reality-tv/36939-poll-joe-mcelderry-or-cheryl-baker-who-should-win-popstar-to-operastar.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tellymix+%28TellyMix%29&utm_content=Twitter

Found it via Twitter so think it would be more veered towards Joe. But Cheryl at about 25% is encouraging, with the right song I'm hoping to see her odds drop on the night so hopefully Joe's odds will reach 1.25 - 1.3 at which point I'll start buying :)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com