Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TRFC Kev
04 Dec 09 12:56
| Topic/replies: 2,201 | Blogger: TRFC Kev's blog
40/1. I don't get it.

Fair enough, though I don't watch F1 I can see why Button is favourite, bu Giggs and Haye?

Giggs is a team player and has scored just five goals in 2009.
I like David Haye, but he had one fight in 2009, against someone of limited ability, but a bit of a freak.

Cav has had a splendid year, winning several stages of the Tour de France, including the prestige one, nearly won the Green Jersey, and wore Pink in the Giro, and won the Mian-San Remo.
And that's just his major wins.

And more so than previous winners, he's actually got a personality.

I know it's probably down to him being largely based abroad and competitng in a non BBC sport, but he has been awesome, and would get my vote.
Pause Switch to Standard View Mark Cavendish - SPOTY
Show More
Report GeorgeBrush December 4, 2009 1:03 PM GMT
I didn't get the recent dip tbh. He's rather unpleasant
Report GeorgeBrush December 4, 2009 1:04 PM GMT
We don't like winners with attitude in the UK thanks
Report Amy Other December 4, 2009 1:05 PM GMT
A tough ask for him to win but my biggest result by far thanks to the generous 80/1s and even 100/1 from the bookies when the shortlist was announced. Could the cycling fans be buoyed enough by Hoy's win last year to have another go? Not out of the question...
Report Darren Lamb December 4, 2009 1:08 PM GMT
nearly won the Green Jersey

end of thread.
Report TRFC Kev December 4, 2009 1:22 PM GMT
He lost the Green Jersey on s technocality. He was disqualified on one stage which all but gave the Jersey to Hushovd.

He won the Paris stage by a country mile, a stage that usually finish's in a bunch finish.
Report johnnyrant December 4, 2009 1:27 PM GMT
I still think Wiggins achievement to finish 4th in overall classification superior to Cav's sprint success. I cannot see Cav winning.
Report GeorgeBrush December 4, 2009 1:47 PM GMT
TRFC Kev 04 Dec 14:22
He lost the Green Jersey on s technocality. He was disqualified on one stage which all but gave the Jersey to Hushovd.

He won the Paris stage by a country mile, a stage that usually finish's in a bunch finish.

I think it was a tw@ttish blocking manoeuvre rather than a technicality ;-)
Report GoBallistic December 4, 2009 2:01 PM GMT
johnny, it isn't - not even close
Report johnnyrant December 4, 2009 2:07 PM GMT
Cav was teed up for sprint wins by his team putting him in the perfect spot to attack for the line each time. Wiggins was staring into the abyss every day up in the mountains and transformed himself into one of the world's great road racers. He had the Schlecks attacking time after time going up Ventoux, and he still held onto 4th - it was an epic performance by Wiggins, and achieved in a far more individual way.
Report TRFC Kev December 4, 2009 2:19 PM GMT
Agree about Wiggins, it was a trrmendous achievement, but we're yet to see if he can do it again.

Cav has proved he can. I know he has major help from his team, especially Mark Renshaw, but that's the nature of sprinting.
Report GoBallistic December 4, 2009 2:21 PM GMT
Wiggins' ride was good but any pro would give up 4th in the Tour for 2 stage wins in the Tour (let alone 5).
What Wiggins achieved was great for a domestic rider although not as good as Robert Millar. What Cavendish achieved was great for any rider in the world - maybe a couple of riders a decade have the sort of year he had
If they still had the the old world rankings Cav would be in the top 3 - maybe #1. Wiggins wouldn't be in top 20
Cycling is a team sport. Wiggins owes as much to Vandevelde, Millar, Zabriskie as Cavendish does to his team
Winning MSR puts him at a completely different level to Wiggins - you can't get over the poggio and beat the italians in their race without being a cycling superstar
Report Max Cady December 4, 2009 3:18 PM GMT
I agree, based purely on achievement Mark Cavendish wins hands down, but tour de france and road cycling in UK gets hardly any mainstream coverage.

Cavendish hasn't got much hope of winning the bbc popularity contest
Report gresty241 December 4, 2009 5:38 PM GMT
if cavendish is a serious challanger for spoty, surely all these have a chance in the overseas spoty market

[i]Pos. No. Name Nat. Team Time Gap
1 021 CONTADOR, Alberto ESP AST 73:15:39 00:00:00
2 031 SCHLECK, Andy LUX SAX 73:19:50 00:04:11
3 022 ARMSTRONG, Lance USA AST 73:21:04 00:05:25
4 058 WIGGINS, Bradley GBR GRM 73:21:15 00:05:36 forget wiggins
5 023 KL
Report stu December 4, 2009 5:42 PM GMT
66 068 TXURRUKA, Amets ESP EUS 74:41:42 01:26:03

NAP.
Report Amy Other December 4, 2009 6:08 PM GMT
gresty - I think you've just shown you don't really understand cycling
Report DHB December 4, 2009 6:46 PM GMT
Shocked to find he was 100/1 and 80/1. I took the 66/1 and 50/1 and thought that was great value (I've also backed at 40/1).
Report gresty241 December 4, 2009 7:09 PM GMT
nonsense Amy, i'm having the stablelizors taken off my raleigh palant this very sunday
Report Darren Lamb December 4, 2009 7:16 PM GMT
well aware how good he is TRFC Kev, and i'll be backing him in the top 3 market because i expect him to get a good plug from hoy, but cannot have him winning.
Report Amy Other December 4, 2009 7:24 PM GMT
But you should have a CHOPPER, gresty - with the gear lever on the frame (none of this namby-pamby handlebar stuff).
Report TRFC Kev December 4, 2009 7:32 PM GMT
Darren - I dont think he will win, but I think he deserves to.

Saying that, I don't watch athletis or F1, but I know Button had a good start to the season but was hanging on a wee bit towards the end.
Report Darren Lamb December 4, 2009 7:38 PM GMT
cannot have button - filthy rich tax exile and, as you say, was hanging on in the end.

cav is awesome, but would like to have seen him win the green jersey, even though he lost out on a stewards.

i think it's between giggs & ennis - but not saying they are more deserving than cav.
Report Pirate Army December 4, 2009 8:23 PM GMT
Most deserving Cavendish, Ennis, Tweddle, Haye, Daley, Idowu in no particular order
then Murray (World number 2)
then Strauss (team effort)
then Button (it's the car!)
Least Deserving Giggs (done nothing in 2009)
Report Darren Lamb December 4, 2009 8:50 PM GMT
^

giggs: the current premier league champions' best player, the current premier league player of the year, scored his 100th premier league goal this year.

nothing...?
Report Pirate Army December 4, 2009 9:20 PM GMT
the current premier league champions' best player (are you sure about that?), the current premier league player of the year (won on sentiment), scored his 100th premier league goal this year (give him a round of applause).
Report Darren Lamb December 4, 2009 9:30 PM GMT
name me a man utd player who had played better than giggs in 2009 as a whole?
Report Papa Smurf December 4, 2009 9:47 PM GMT
darren - fletcher would be a runner. rooney too. but fair point. PFA player of year this year.
Report ColinLewis December 4, 2009 9:51 PM GMT
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/poll/2009/nov/30/bbc-sports-personality-of-the-year-poll

Cav definitely the value.

Same poll had Hoy by a clear margin last year.

Suspect we may get an unexpected result this year whilst all the tabloid readers / petrol heads / fottball worshipers are watching the X facter!
Report ColinLewis December 4, 2009 9:53 PM GMT
Found last year's poll too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/poll/2008/dec/11/sports-personality-of-the-year-2008

Not far off the officail BBC results on the night.

Think Iorting Spindex's quote of 2-3 on the 50:25:10 index is the way forward for Cav backers.
Report DHB December 4, 2009 10:30 PM GMT
The poll had Cav 1% higher until recently. Ennis has increased at the same time.
Report gresty241 December 4, 2009 11:54 PM GMT
remember it's not about personalty or achievements it's abouts who's got the best voice
Report Pirate Army December 4, 2009 11:59 PM GMT
Think you are getting mixed up with X Factor gresty!
Report gresty241 December 5, 2009 12:04 AM GMT
Lou keeps telling me it's about who's got the best voice, i've backed standard liege for the champs league because their goalkeepers very good at kareoke
Report gresty241 December 5, 2009 12:17 AM GMT
ok i've had a niobble of cav at 40's with the books to go with the 50's i had a wee while back, it's been such a good market to me i'm not going to fall short on anyone.......................................................hope no one starts an idowuo thread
Report Amy Other December 5, 2009 11:53 AM GMT
Great bet, ColinLewis - unfortunately moved to 3-5 now :(
Report ColinLewis December 5, 2009 4:12 PM GMT
Got 2-3 yesterday but it moved to 3-5 mid morning today.

Think it may touch 5-7 soon as they still have Strauss at 4-6 and Haye at 5-7.

It's looking like he will flip flop both this wekend.
Report cunnybobbler December 6, 2009 7:16 AM GMT
never heard of him. though to be fair ive never heard of jessica ennis, beth tweddle, sony idaho or tom daley either. well not unless tom daley used to play for villa. im guessing he didnt.
Report ColinLewis December 6, 2009 10:00 AM GMT
Cunny, he's won 10 stages of the tour de france in the last two years...and he's clean.
Report stu December 6, 2009 11:06 AM GMT
Who shows cycling on TV?
Report Amy Other December 6, 2009 11:10 AM GMT
ITV show TDF - but tend to hide it away.
Report the muppet moans December 6, 2009 9:53 PM GMT
Ennis now overtaken Cav in Grauniad poll
Report TheMadness December 6, 2009 10:09 PM GMT
Guardian poll is nonsense imo
Report cunnybobbler December 8, 2009 10:06 AM GMT
how many people who vote will have watched cycling on itv4 or wherever it is?

not saying hes not worthy of winning, just that ive never heard of him and i watch quite alot of sport. so its quite likely most people voting havent heard of him either.
Report Lady Margaret December 8, 2009 11:13 AM GMT
no chance Cavendish wins

cycling had its SPOTY 15 mins of fame with Hoy last year
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com