Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
GeorgeBrush
03 Dec 09 09:14
| Topic/replies: 60,779 | Blogger: GeorgeBrush's blog
You have a new leader...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/brianmoore/6711254/Brian-Moore-sport-is-better-off-without-BBCs-celebrity-spin-for-its-review-of-the-year.html

Great hype, reminds me of the weeks Danyl Johnson won the x factor vote ;-)
Pause Switch to Standard View Giggs detractors sign in
Show More
Report Blackheath December 3, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
Having trawled through months of footage of him mainly sitting on the subs bench BBC have come across some stunning highlights from 1999. Time to wheel out the shirt waving again. Good show !
Report GeorgeBrush December 3, 2009 10:11 AM GMT
Nice one lol.

Illegal now is it? He could get a retrospective booking from Fifa!
Report johnnyrant December 3, 2009 10:15 AM GMT
agree with the writer of that piece in the sense 'celebrity' cheapens S.P.O.T.Y. as it does everything. Strange the BBC want to go down that path when the sort of individual who likes to hear JLS's opinion will be watching X Factor.
Patrick Kielty telling us why Giggs should win; James Cordon cheerleading for Jenson Button... talk about the lowest of the low. He calls it correctly with Giggs - shouldn't even be on the shortlist for keeping Utd's bench warm most of the season.
If he does win, it'll show how tragically inward-looking, partisan and prejudiced Man Utd fans are - though anyone who has followed football in this country for the last 20+ years is well aware of that already.
Report attitude adjuster December 3, 2009 10:25 AM GMT
jr,are you taking the view that only Man U fans will vote for Giggs?
Report chepster December 3, 2009 10:26 AM GMT
Fair points JR and impossible to oppose. Pretty much everybody I have spoken too over the last few days are questionning why Giggs made the list, let alone why he is so short in the betting.

I was initially a Giggs layer believing he would receive the Lifetime Achievement award but quickly changed my position once I had heard he had made the shortlist. He is a small winner for me but nothing worth writing home about.

If you dont mind me asking, are you a layer of Giggs at large prices? or do you just have such a strong opinion that he shouldnt be in the list?
Report johnnyrant December 3, 2009 10:29 AM GMT
yes aa - Giggs' vote will be made up of 85-90% Utd fans imo. He won't get votes on the night from sports fans who tune in and decide the winner based on 2009's best sporting achievement - which is what the award is supposed to be about.
Report attitude adjuster December 3, 2009 10:34 AM GMT
Have to disagree there..i'll be voting for him and i'm no Man U fan.

This country is football daft and he will top the vote imo north of the border.
Report johnnyrant December 3, 2009 10:35 AM GMT
no, not a layer chep - I'm coming from the point of view of being a sports fan first and foremost and failing to see how Giggs can possibly deserve to win the award. To be honest, I have similarly strong feelings against Button winning it - F1 is a bore, and he shouldn't win for having the best car.
fwiw I backed Ennis a while back at 12s, and had to cover on Giggs following the stampede at 14s - if either wins it would be profitable for me - not a massive amount - but I wouldn't be happy to see Giggs win it, regardless of financial implications.
Report GeorgeBrush December 3, 2009 10:35 AM GMT
West of the border too I should imagine
Report Cider December 3, 2009 10:40 AM GMT
jr, of course what you do is your own business, but seems odd to me you'd back someone who you thought had no chance because there was a gamble?
Report CLYDEBANK29 December 3, 2009 10:46 AM GMT
Nothing wrong with backing something because you think it will shorten rather than fancying it.
Report johnnyrant December 3, 2009 10:50 AM GMT
had to cover Cider - simple as
Report Cider December 3, 2009 10:59 AM GMT
Fairy nuff jr! Even as cover, backing someone and then later saying he has no chance does conflict a little :)

What do you makes of the others' chances, Button, Haye et al?
Report Cider December 3, 2009 11:10 AM GMT
gl with the market in any case jr, I gotta sign off now I've got a criminally difficult essay to submit by tomorrow and I aint getting it done mincing on the 4rum!
Report chepster December 3, 2009 11:12 AM GMT
Thanks for the reply JR. I just wonder how indicitative that is of the GBP.

I too have backed Ennis and would love to see her win the award. I just cant get Giggsys already estalished fan base (well Man U's) out of my head.

That said, he is far from over the line!

It has been mentioned a few times that the Old Trafford faithful would all only need to vote 2-3 times to see him win the award. While that is true (in part), it is never going to happen. Imagine a family attending the match, lets say Joe public, with his wife and two kids. On this basis his household would need to vote 12 times for Giggs for this statement to ring true. I know this is a silly argument but it puts into perspective that Giggs will still need some casual vote which I am not sure he will get. I suppose its also fair to say that Utds support is not confined to Manchester. However this doesnt necessarily equate to votes. The abundance of Man U fans throughout the UK may also love their F1, or more importantly, sexy heptathletes ;)

Last year, Hamilton received 160,000 votes and, there is no reason to suggest Button shouldnt achieve similiar or perhaps more.
Question is, How many will the Welsh Wizard get? (oh & Ennis???) :)
Report johnnyrant December 3, 2009 11:15 AM GMT
the use of the expression 'no chance', Cider, was a response to the fevered ramping of GB and pals. Haye I cannot see winning. It was a v poor fight - only gained interest cos of the other fighter's height, it was also pay-per-view, Haye doesn't fit with BBC voter imo.
Button I have long maintained is a lay at odds on. F1 is dull, and most sports fans are switched off by it regardless of BBC having coverage. Button is also v wealthy, living as a tax exile... the sort of things that breed spite imo.
Strauss the only one imo who can shake up the 3 main contenders of Ennis, Giggs and Button. Edit on the night, as always, will have a big say.
Report CLYDEBANK29 December 3, 2009 11:16 AM GMT
I want to know why Bruce Millington mentioned Ryan Giggs when he was canvassing for nominations for Tony McCoy. Suggests to me someone was canvassing hard for fellow editors to nominate Ryan Giggs. I should have heeded the alarm bells that rang in my head when he said that. Like chepster I covered my posi in the o/r within 30 minutes of him being nominated but was unable to do that in the place equivalent because there were no offers.

Anyone know how well Giggs did in the PFA Fans Player of The Year Award? I know Gerrard won but can't seem to find a breakdown of the vote or even who finished second.
Report five leaves left December 3, 2009 11:20 AM GMT
Your punting is starting to look like mine cheps.
Always backing the attractive women.

Lucie Jones, Ennis, I bet you're on Ali and Laila too ;)
Report johnnyrant December 3, 2009 11:24 AM GMT
very true what you say there chep. This X Factor clash will also see voting figures diminish among Giggs' sort of demographic imo. S.P.O.T.Y. is a middle England event whereas X Factor will be watched by the more working class end of the scale for whom football is the be all and end all of their sporting interest.
Report chepster December 3, 2009 11:24 AM GMT
:^0 5leaves.

I did oppose Susan**though ;\
Report Lady Margaret December 3, 2009 4:43 PM GMT
Have to agree with Jonny Rant that the SPOTY voting demographic is middle-England not the chavs hence the Zara Phillips winning and also helping Hoy over Lewis Hamilton last year.

This is where Ennis' hopes lie - I've backed her and still think she has a great chance - esp. with a friendly-edit in her hometown on the night.

Doubtless she will be wearing a nice frock too which should garner some votes from both appreciative males and girl-power inclined ladies!
Report stu December 3, 2009 4:50 PM GMT
Tweddle not out of it on those grounds M'Lady?
Report Lady Margaret December 4, 2009 9:30 AM GMT
Tweddle doesn't srcub up like the beautiful Jess IMO
Report Jim Duncan December 4, 2009 12:35 PM GMT
This is Ryan Giggs one and only chance of winning this award. As football is the no.1 played sport in this country, surely this most loyal servant of Man Utd, most decorated Premiership Player and exceptional role model (when was he last on the front pages?) is more than deserving of this prestigious award - he is charitable and unlike many of the other top footballers is not a big-head nor a show-off. There are arguments for and against all of the shortlisted and even non-shortlisted (Phil Taylor, Chrissie Wellington, Tony McCoy, Bradley Wiggins etc.) sportspeople, but only one can eventually win and Ryan Giggs is as deserving of this award as any other.
Report viva el presidente! December 4, 2009 1:39 PM GMT
well, scholes has obviously had a few quid on giggsy. ramping him on the radio as the greatest man u player ever.
Report philip glass December 4, 2009 1:58 PM GMT
Scholes has even less personailty than Giggs, which is an achievement in itself. But not one worthy of an award.
Report johnnyrant December 4, 2009 2:11 PM GMT
I don't think Utd fans would be happy unless every sporting award and trophy up for grabs is turned into a Man Utd benefit. Why isn't Ronaldo up for overseas personality, and Ferguson coach of the year - I'm surprised none of you have been asking that question. And let's not forget Gary Neville - how about a lifetime achievement award for him? It's a disgrace.
Report Jim Duncan December 4, 2009 4:24 PM GMT
Philip: some people do their talking and show their personality on the field on play - is there anything wrong with that or must all sportspeople endeavour to make the newspaper front pages rather than the back pages?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com