Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
angrybryan
12 Aug 20 22:26
| Topic/replies: 66 | Blogger: angrybryan's blog
Is it me it must be,you see I thought snooker was a gentleman's  game where players took pride in observing the rules even if the referee fails to spot the transgression. Mark William's you volunteered that you had touched the cue ball ,(not spotted by an unsighted referee),in the last frame of the match against Ronnie Sullivan. Well done Mark you were a gentleman. Ronnie, In the same frame,when the referee after examining the  situation at some length decided you were not entitled to a free ball you should have followed Mark's example.    Instead you looked quizzicaly  at the referee shaking your head,your expression said it all,I Dont Believe It. Sadly the ref.caved in to your pressure and immediately reversed his decision. Once again well done Mark you may have lost but were the ties gentleman.
Pause Switch to Standard View Has snooker joined the win at all...
Show More
Report elisjohn August 13, 2020 6:48 AM BST
angry, thought exactly like you while watching it
Report Latalomne August 13, 2020 9:19 AM BST
In Ronnie's defence, it didn't look even close from the reverse angle.  Jan seemed to be in a complete daze from the off in that sequence and seemed not to have even given a moment's thought to it possibly being a freeball to begin with. 

The referee's performance was poor in that phase, IMHO.  Surely all any of us (and the players) want is for them to get the big decisions right?  In snooker, there tends not to be many.
Report peckerdunne August 13, 2020 10:36 AM BST
Not sure if it's just a anti Ronnie thread or does it apply to all.

Seems like the ref had made an error, end of.

Ronnie is known not to complain.
Report angrybryan August 13, 2020 1:24 PM BST
I agree guys, the referee wasn't very good and it MAY have been a free ball but the conventions of the game are you accept the referee,s decision. Ronnie clearly didn't. After all had  Mark not had the good grace to accept the referee,s change of mind all three would have been involved in an argument which would have done the image of the sport no good. Note to ronnie, "Do not talk to the referee unless he speaks to you" (Bigheads final dressing room instructions to his team before they went on the pitch)

Karm down,karm down,karm down.
Report angrybryan August 13, 2020 2:10 PM BST
clarification note to me. Karm down,Karm down,Karm down
Report peckerdunne August 13, 2020 2:40 PM BST
Grin
Report Latalomne August 14, 2020 9:41 AM BST

Aug 13, 2020 -- 7:24AM, angrybryan wrote:

I agree guys, the referee wasn't very good and it MAY have been a free ball but the conventions of the game are you accept the referee,s decision. Ronnie clearly didn't. After all had  Mark not had the good grace to accept the referee,s change of mind all three would have been involved in an argument which would have done the image of the sport no good. Note to ronnie, "Do not talk to the referee unless he speaks to you" (Bigheads final dressing room instructions to his team before they went on the pitch)   Karm down,karm down,karm down.

TBH, Bryan, I'm not sure it's that different to asking the ref to re-spot a colour.  They're both judgement calls where you're questioning the ref's decision.  Nobody raises an eyebrow when that happens.

Report Fire-and-Ice August 14, 2020 1:28 PM BST
How many times is acceptable for the player to appeal to the referee?
How about we get a referee on the sidelines brought in to give a 2nd opinion if the player isn't happy?
Report angrybryan August 14, 2020 9:12 PM BST
Sounds like snookers version of V.A.R.to me fire and ice.
Report angrybryan August 14, 2020 9:14 PM BST
Sounds like snooker version of V.A.R. to me fire & ice
Report Latalomne August 15, 2020 9:26 AM BST
There have been a number of instances where the tournament director has been called for to make a final ruling, and there was one instance last (?) season where a scorer stepped in to point out that a foul had been committed.  The match referee then reviewed it on the screen before revising his decision.
Report Fire-and-Ice August 15, 2020 11:08 AM BST
But that's the final say then, yeah?
Report gjohn101 August 15, 2020 11:29 AM BST
The Mark Allen one a few months back, that was the scorer whispering into refs ear that he'd committed a foul.

Has to be caught before next shot is struck, though, as happened in the shoot out with our good pal, ronnie!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com