Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Latalomne
16 Jun 20 17:32
| Topic/replies: 35,780 | Blogger: Latalomne's blog
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/53068502
Pause Switch to Standard View Willie in an induced coma....
Show More
Report Wicklow June 16, 2020 8:38 PM BST
Sad stuff - only 66, but i guess he's packed more up and down into his life than most. I'll miss those cruicible stints of JV and WT. Lets hope he somehow pulls through.
Report ashleigh June 17, 2020 8:40 AM BST
willie rip. a sad loss.Sad
Report elisjohn June 17, 2020 8:46 AM BST
a loveable rogue im sure , but will be missed , very sad , great on the bbc.
Report Ei Ei June 17, 2020 9:45 AM BST
RIP I always thought he was one of the best commentators.
Report DonNo1 June 17, 2020 9:56 AM BST
RIP.  Sad news.  His gambling struggles were terrible but I do look fondly back at his references to it.  'He's just gone favourite for the frame'
Report jed.davison June 17, 2020 10:36 AM BST
Lest we forget, a brilliant snooker player. As we say with Jimmy and Ronnie, how good could they have been?

Very sad really, it must be hard to believe in yourself as much as snooker requires when one is haunted by one's weakness off the table, more so perhaps for the gambler than the drinker. We can't know how much that weighed him down in battle, nor guess how actually great he might have become without that unscratchable itch.

Let a man's family and friends weigh him in the balance, but today is a sad day for snookerheads because we lost a fellow traveller, a lover of the game - throughout and above everything.

RIP The Great WT
Report BornToWin June 17, 2020 10:52 AM BST
RIP Willie Sad
Report stu June 17, 2020 11:06 AM BST
I'm saddened by the news, and nice post their jed, says it well.
Report stu June 17, 2020 11:06 AM BST
*there
Report portmanpark June 17, 2020 11:19 AM BST
SadSad
Report Platini June 17, 2020 11:27 AM BST
So sad news. Sad  RIP Willie

Always liked him, and while we all know he had his demons, by all accounts he was a lovely fella.

Very good player in his day, Mr maximum (how many did he get?), and one of the best commentators.

His great friend and fellow legend JV sums it up best..

"Lost my friend today, hard to think I won’t see him again. Gutted.  RIP Willie."
Report wondersobright June 17, 2020 11:36 AM BST
just seen this on racing forum
unlike some he will be greatly missed
lovely fellah
RIP will Sad
Report wondersobright June 17, 2020 11:38 AM BST
Wicklow • June 16, 2020 8:38 PM BST
I'll miss those crucible stints of JV and WT

they were exceptional together
Report Fire-and-Ice June 17, 2020 11:55 AM BST
Great post Jed
RIP Willie
Report Latalomne June 17, 2020 12:16 PM BST
Agree with Fire-and-Ice; great post, Jed. 

Also agree with the comments about him being one of the best commentators.  "He's just gone favourite for the frame" and "That wasn't the bad shot, it was the one before it" will go down in snooker folklore.

Was talking to a mate of mine this morning who played golf with him at a charity day once.  Described him as being "Great fun and a real raconteur who also had a range of 'Big Willie' boxer shorts!" Laugh

RIP Willie  Sad
Report dr . atkins June 17, 2020 1:39 PM BST
just one story about king willie he was playing cards at a snooker venu with other players the ref came in and said to willie the match on the other table finished early your next up in 5 mins willie said ok played the hand he was in said to the players i be 10 mins he was 8-1 up he was never seen again lost the match 9-8 r.i.p willie thorne
Report Wicklow June 17, 2020 2:37 PM BST
I ll miss those inrunning odds on a frames when a player might be 40 or 50 points up and the high colours go on to cushions. Player A might be 1.3 on here for the frame, but WT would be telling us thats he's a 10's on chance. You could nt beat those little nuggets, regardless who won the frame, it would make you chuckle to yourself. RIP the great WT.
Report stewarty b June 17, 2020 7:03 PM BST
Mr maximum (how many did he get?)

At a guess more than any other player to have played the game. (50 plus I believe) All in practice I believe but around the black spot nobody could touch him. Sadly his long game wasn't as good hence only one ranking event.

RIP Willie. You had your demons but who hasn't.
Report moondan June 17, 2020 8:12 PM BST
Willie, loved the game and loved to gamble.

I always thought his addiction to gambling was why he did not win what his talent deserved. Definitely had too much riding on every match he played but had to play on the edge. It was his buzz.
A highly intelligent man who graced the era of snooker that I loved.
I often wonder what he would have achieved  if he lived in this era of fine cloths and pockets that helped the ball into the pocket.

He and a brother ran their own club and by all accounts money matches were normal,  day and night.
Anyway he did it his way and hopefully Him and Alex will still be battling it out and not just on the table.They were both greats of their day and its easy to say to them, thanks for the memoriesLove
Report wisewords June 18, 2020 12:27 AM BST
Rest in peace Willie Thorne.
Report elisjohn June 18, 2020 5:13 AM BST
not a fan of gary lineker, but as ( im sure we all know the rumours,  true or not) but nice piece from
Gary Lineker
@GaryLineker
Deeply, deeply saddened to hear that my friend Willie Thorne has passed away. One of life’s great characters. A marvellous snooker player and a lovely man, who’s potted his final black much too soon. RIP Willie.
Report Gin June 18, 2020 10:17 AM BST
RIP Willie.......

Good tribute from Dave Hendon here:

https://www.eurosport.com/snooker/willie-thorne-and-the-stories-that-made-an-icon_sto7778673/story.shtml
Report alun2005 June 18, 2020 12:48 PM BST
Very sad news indeed.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 20, 2020 11:38 AM BST
Slightly OT but what awa the reason for the BBC dropping him from their commentary team?  At the end he barely did anything at all yet up until three or four years ago he was one of their top men?

Does anyone actually know why he was dropped?
Report thegiggilo June 22, 2020 2:22 AM BST
No coincidence that three of the most talented players have all had cancer Alex,Jimmy and willie two have died in their 60s..ashame as the game couldv'e been so much better if these players had played to their full potential,although you can forgive jimmy running up against the GOAT  in all world finals..
Report gjohn101 June 22, 2020 10:44 AM BST
Does anyone actually know why he was dropped?

I dunno but willie himself said it was at least partly due to the sweary incident earlier that year. Virgo had had a similar thing shortly before and he got dropped from the uk at the same time, so likely something in it imo. I think they wanted some new blood in there, ebdon probably, and willie, sadly, was the low hanging fruit for a few reasons.
Report GRANTCKING June 26, 2020 11:16 AM BST
Sad
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com