Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
01 May 20 19:50
| Topic/replies: 831 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
One of snooker's real hardmen has been forced into retirement through having significant wear and tear in his neck, and serious deterioration in some of his vertebrae. He was hoping to make one last attempt to reach The Crucible, but with the postponement of this year's World Championship (and qualifiers) - Ebbo has called it a day. He wasn't everybody's cup of tea, he was cast as the villain many times, and he wasn't particularly well liked by his fellow pro's, but at his peak what a player he was, absolute granite, and fabulous under pressure. Thanks for the memories Peter, especially at The Crucible, enjoy your retirement.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 11
By:
jed.davison
When: 05 May 20 19:43
I think Ebdon winning the World Championship was one of the sporting highlights of my life, it was such a triumph of will for him to achieve the ultimate in a sport in which so many of his contemporaries were more gifted - it was about the time that Williams, Higgins and Ronnie were at their early peaks, and obviously he beat the greatest of them all to win it, albeit a slightly diminished version even by 2002.

I had seen quite a bit of him in his younger days, with his ponytail, his somewhat startling intensity and his habit of wearing Savile Row to handicaps around North London. He was more flamboyant then around the table, much faster, and quite a player to watch through the herbal fog of those venues.

Not sure whether he was actively disliked as such, most of the players just found him a bit impenetrable and weird tbh

For making the most of his talent he merits the highest praise imo, although I do respect the fact that his measured play, certainly as his talent waned, did occasionally cross the line into gamesmanship. That said, I can never remember him taking over six minutes to play a routine safety shot.
By:
frames
When: 05 May 20 19:48
Watched the end of his semi-final against Mathew Stevens on BBC the other day , 16-14 down 33 behind with a red left , pots the red ,looks a straightforward  blue and colours to tie ,takes on a 1 in 10  pink and clears.As Stevens said " probably the best pot I have seen ".
Outrageous pot under pressure.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nuS-_AwfE  go to 8 minutes.
By:
gobelins
When: 12 May 20 06:10
frames - yes, it was an amazingly brave pot on the pink - and given that he went on to win the match, and then beat S.Hendry in the final, it makes the pot even more significant. In the final against Hendry, he took on a long yellow at 12-14, having lost the opening 2 frames of the final session. It was an absolutely fantastic pot. He was hampered on the black, and refused an easier long blue to go all out for position on the next red. Had he missed it was virtually 12-15, but once he committed to a shot he fully committed.

jed - I'd agree with virtually everything you've said - and while I'd agree that he probably did cross that line a few times, he was also responsible for some of the most dramatic matches and individual moments we've ever seen at The Crucible. His infamous win over R.O'Sullivan in 2005 was sensational. To watch the complete and utter disintegration of someone as great as O'Sullivan was absolutely compulsive viewing, and Ebdon never got the credit he deserved for such a triumph (O'Sullivan was defending champion at the time, and Ebdon actually trailed 2-8, and 6-10 going into that final session). I absolutely loved watching him, and snooker is the poorer for not having more players with the single-minded attitude he possessed.
By:
wondersobright
When: 18 May 20 13:33
speaking a lot of sense here
https://checktheevidencecom.ipage.com/checktheevidence.com/audio/Peter%20Ebdon%20on%20Snooker%20Healing%20and%20More%20-%20Radio%205%20Live%20-%2016%20May%202020.mp3

(apart from the bit about the standard obv Grin)
By:
elisjohn
When: 18 May 20 20:36
cheers for that frames, great pink
By:
sevey
When: 21 May 20 20:00
Good luck Pete
By:
RLKingPunter
When: 25 May 20 16:11
Peter always gave 100% and you cant ask for more than that , a great player
By:
wisewords
When: 02 Jun 20 18:43
^not always, eh Grant?
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 02 Jun 20 18:50
correct, personally watched him fix/tank a match in the grand prix in aberdeen when it was a group/leagues format, wasnt a tv table, 100% he fixed and backed tom ford or he just tanked on purpose
By:
wondersobright
When: 02 Jun 20 18:58
the most corrupt event in snooker history that round robin format a few years ago
By:
jed.davison
When: 03 Jun 20 06:00
Spot on wsb - can't really go into details on here but the original four frame league was absolutely scandalous - you could not get a bet on it in the end. Like the fixers at Sittingbourne, they just couldn't help themselves and it don't last long.

You couldn't move for bent games, and Mag/Bur was the day the layers cried enough. I've heard that an England International footballer, deep in hock to one of the big boys, tried to phone £5k on the 10-3 and had to be persuaded by his handler that it might not be the best idea reputationally.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com